• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Switch Online May update adds 5 SNES and NES games.

super-nintendo-entertainment-system-nintendo-switch-online-switch-hero.jpg

On May 26th, 2021, five new titles will be dropping to Nintendo Switch Online. These five titles are as follows:
  • SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)
    • Caveman Ninja (also known as Joe & Mac) - Platformer - 1-2 players
    • Magical Drop 2 - Puzzle - 1-2 players
    • Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 - Baseball - 1-2 players
    • Spanky's Quest - Action - 1 Player
  • NES
    • Ninja JaJaMaru-kun - 2 Player - Platformer
The full announcement is down below:

All online games will be available on May 26th for all Nintendo Switch Online subscribers

Author's Note: Man, I want Super Mario RPG sometime. Any games you want? Any you're looking forward to playing? Let us know!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

I think the last games we get will be a double-whammy of Earthbound and SMRPG in June before the big E3 reveal of N64 NSO.

Wish people would give some of these games a shot, I'm gonna be playing Magical Drop for sure. I'm not happy with the way Nintendo has been handling its output of classic games in general - particularly N64 onward - but I appreciate how good they've been toward fans of niche Japanese puzzle games lmao.

Last edited:
Apparently FE Genealogy got added to the super famicom online service over in Japan (A lot of games are region exclusive to certain versions of the nes/snes online app) so that gives us at least a little bit of hope that big first party games could still come to SNES online.

To be fair, there aren't really much left big titles to pick from.
The overall selection for both the NES and SNES library has almost all of the big hitters already.

As far as I remember, the only real remaining ones, as Janx says, are EarthBound (+ Beginnings) and SMRPG (feel free to remind me of others that I am forgetting).

If EarthBound is going to be added, it probably going to be for a special occasion and will be paired with Beginnings.
SMRPG feels somewhat unlikely considering all the hoops with Square that has be involved in doing so, but it has been a VC game in the past, so maybe....?

The overall selection for both the NES and SNES library has almost all of the big hitters already.

As far as I remember, the only real remaining ones, as Janx says, are EarthBound (+ Beginnings) and SMRPG (feel free to remind me of others that I am forgetting).

If EarthBound is going to be added, it probably going to be for a special occasion and will be paired with Beginnings.
SMRPG feels somewhat unlikely considering all the hoops with Square that has be involved in doing so, but it has been a VC game in the past, so maybe....?
Maybe capcom can fork over mega man and bass as well or bring back Kirbys Avalanche

A solid month for the most part IMO. Joe & Mac, Magical Drop, and Ninja Jajamaru Kun are all good picks.

Japan probably wins this month with FE4, but oh well. Let the people on Twitter complain like they always do.

GBA and N64 games, for one.

But more importantly, I wouldn't fill the services we DO have with useless shovelware. Even some of the more divisive NES and SNES games deserve it more than some of the games in their services.

I randomly went and beat Joe and Mac 2 in one sitting a month ago, I guess I'll be completing the first one now.

Kinda weird that they released the second one first.

four SNES games and an NES game... sigh... wish I could say I know what these titles are, but I don't... but at least there's some folks who like them, and power to them.

anything I'll say further has probably been ranted about for awhile, so I guess I'll save everyone the trouble...

Last edited:

You mean in terms of games that were published by Nintendo, localised outside Japan, don't rely on the super Scope, and aren't part of now-defunct licensing deals (looking at you, Ken Griffey Jr.)?

Wow, I thought there was something left, but I checked the list and they really have run completely dry. Somebody should remind them that they own Tin Star.

Really wished Nintendo fans would actually try out these different games instead of crying their guts out over a game they've probably already played not getting added into the service.

Just an FYI; Nintendo is nowhere near as bad as companies who basically force their employees to get PTSD during a game's development (Netherrealm and, IIRC, Naughty Dog), announce DLC characters who are on the disc before the game launches and still not releasing them until AFTER the game (Capcom during the last gen), riddle every single game they make with microtransactions even during the worst of times and stage a fake Christian protest (Electronic Anti-Christ), or send their devs off to the CoD mines when just one thing doesn't go their way (Activision).

But since they're a company, they don't give a **** about the consumer to begin with, even if they have devs or dev teams who DO. They're no less susceptible to doing annoying and sometimes scummy things than any other gaming company, so criticizing them for those things is totally fine.

I mainly played Contra, Mega Man, Castlevania, Karnov, Deadly Towers, Rygar... Yay we got Rygar .. and I got Castlevania and Contra collection so there's that... And I have the Mega Man anniversary for PS2 .. for snes I had all the mortal kombats, street fighter 2 turbo, and Final Fantasy 2 and 3 (4 and 6)... Killer Instinct and Ken Griffey Jr.... So basically most of the games I played as a kid aren't really viable for switch online service I'm guessing cause of their origins. But it's still cool to play what does come out.

Honestly if SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, or Earthbound don’t come to the service, I’d at least like to see them in a collection of some sort that we could buy (example: Chrono Trigger collection that also includes Chrono Cross, Mother/Earthbound Collection: Earthbound Beginnings/Mother + Earthbound/Mother 2 + Mother 3 (officially for the first time outside of Japan) or sell them individually on the Eshop, like how they’re doing with Zombies Ate my Neighbors/Ghoul Patrol. Other than that, it’s just wishful thinking and a shot in the dark, but would be cool for an E3 announcement. :confused:

Honestly if SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, or Earthbound don’t come to the service, I’d at least like to see them in a collection of some sort that we could buy (example: Chrono Trigger collection that also includes Chrono Cross, Mother/Earthbound Collection: Earthbound Beginnings/Mother + Earthbound/Mother 2 + Mother 3 (officially for the first time outside of Japan) or sell them individually on the Eshop, like how they’re doing with Zombies Ate my Neighbors/Ghoul Patrol. Other than that, it’s just wishful thinking and a shot in the dark, but would be cool for an E3 announcement. :confused:
I’d love a Chrono Trigger + Cross collection. Maybe make CT a definitive edition with the PSX anime cutscenes and DS version’s extra content including the endings

Nintendo Switch Online still doesn’t have Mega Man, Street Fighter, Castlevania, and Contra games... but that’s probably due to the fact those games are already on Switch as anniversary collections.

It is nice to see Joe & Mac, Magical Drop, and Ninja JaJaMaru-kun get some love.

Top Bottom