• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack releases on 10/25 for $49.99 a year

Online_but_its_really_expensive.jpg

Nintendo has just released a new video showcasing the previously announced Expansion Pack feature of Nintendo Switch Online. You can watch it below here:

The contents of the Expansion Pack include:
  • N64 games with 4-player online multiplayer and save states.
  • Genesis games with 2-player online multiplayer, save states, and the ability to rewind your game.
  • The recently announced Happy Home Paradise DLC for Animal Crossing: New Horizons for free (costs $25 without the Expansion Pack).
The Expansion Pack will release on 10/25 for $49.99 a year, or $79.99 a year if utilizing the Family Membership plan eligible for 8 Nintendo Account users.

Author's Note: I'm... not excited for this anymore since I think $50 a year is way too high. But what do you guys think about this? Let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Editing & Writing: Sari Sari
Thumbnail Graphic: @Zerp

Sari

Comments

This is... bizarre to me.

The move of adding Animal Crossing DLC into it alone seems like a really weird move to me, but... is the privilige of temporarily playing Genesis and N64 games really worth $30?

Of course, if people choose not to buy this Expansion Pack, Nintendo is probably just going to stop all recognition of the N64 and probably completely stop support for the Online retro game library, because they are obnoxiously out of touch like that.

Next year you can get GameCube titles for the low price of your immortal soul.

Per year.

Sone of the games being accessible on Switch already via the Mega Drive collection and 3D All stars (which still has tons of physical copies in the wild) make this a hard sale for me. Do you spend that cash owning the games forever or pay similar to rent it for a year?

Last edited:
I'm all for putting older games on newer consoles for those that missed them the first time around, but not having any kind of remaster or remake version of them doesn't warrant this sort of price tag. The Animal Crossing DLC addition sort of makes it acceptable, but after 1 year if more things like this aren't added, the value vs. the cost is pretty questionable.

Top Bottom