• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread

pit1984

Smash Rookie

Okay I made a video about ultra Street fighter 2 I cannot believe Capcom is doing this cheaping out the fans man they fooled me once I downloaded super Street fighter two HD remakes when I was drunk thought it was 4 but I'm not falling for it again okay they need to remake the real game and that is for I'm calling it now ultimate streetfighter 4 they can put in ultimate combos it is kind of like a final smash one-hit KO if you connect you get it at 20% that way if some scrub pulls out some cheap tactics you have got your ultimate combo okay please check out my video.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
they can put in ultimate combos it is kind of like a final smash one-hit KO if you connect you get it at 20% that way if some scrub pulls out some cheap tactics you have got your ultimate combo okay please check out my video.
As someone who plays fighting games regularly, this sounds like an awful idea.

Not even Smash with all its wackiness has a OHKO.

D

Deleted member

Welp

1484955372738.jpg

Reminds me of how Konami laughed when asked if Metal Gear Rising would come to WiiU. Seems like history is repeating itself yet again.

Also, you know those 80+ games they're promising?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games

Well, 70 of them are already listed. The majority are either indie games, or ports of games that have been out not since last year... but in some cases, since LAST GEN. It's the WiiU all over again guys. And not only that, but Nintendo seems to be really pushing the gimmicks in the Joycons really hard. Trying to bring back that casual audience that loved the Wii.

So if you're a gamer, or a Nintendo fan who just wants to see a return to form, you're SoL with the Switch it seems. Because success or not, we're already a second thought to Nintendo it seems.

I should note that the Joycons are $90, and the Switch is NOT being sold at a loss for $299. This means you're paying for the gimmicky as **** controller. I should point out that if Nintendo had stuck a regular controller with the Switch instead, you'd be paying $299, but also running Pascal, which would not only be more powerful, but also save a lot of battery life. But because Nintendo insisted on pushing the gimmicks on the Joycons, we get an underclocked Maxwell instead to cut the price of the machine.

And I won't even touch the subject of their "oh so generous" online service... Man what a disaster. I was unhappy with the WiiU, but the Switch is making me really appreciate that console in hindsight.

D

Deleted member

Lineup still a bit week at launch but surely and slowly it's coming around.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah no there definitely seems to be a lot of Wii U vibes coming from the system. Not in that the gimmick is dumb, I still think the gimmick is useful and not the crux of the system's problems... but there's just too much Nintendo still seems to refuse learning. Online, third-parties, marketing (which until the presentation they had been nailing).

On a personal level I'm not too bothered, because what I wanted most was a consolidated library and console games on the go, and we're still going to be getting those. But would it be nice to have a bunch of third-party games at my disposal to play wherever I want to? Sure. And it's a real disappointment and problem that Nintendo still can't, or won't, secure them.

Also, the online setup they've gone with honestly seems like a literal joke. Like, almost bordering on self-parody.

But Nintendo gonna Nintendo. And I really wish that could stop being an accurate explanation when all common sense seems to fail the company. Or maybe it's the other way around. That said, I also still believe the Switch will do better than the Wii U, but not by as markedly as I'd once thought. And it's going to be a real headache dealing with Nintendo's bull**** for at least another console cycle. Possibly, perhaps probably, much longer.

They need fresh blood more than a dialysis patient. >_<

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Going to give a few thoughts from things I've been hearing:

Launch Lineup - Technically it's not Nintendo's worst nor it's smallest. Granted Zelda is the only highlight, nor will be the "killer app" the system needs probably, but it will float the system better than anything in the 3DS/Wii U launches. 1/2 Switch really should have been a pack-in...

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's content is questionable, but it was on the Wii U originally. It was the best selling Wii U game, but that in and of itself is not very impressive and could turn out advantageous. Nintendo is going to have to snowball a lot of things like the 3DS's launch until Splatoon 2 & SMO come out, the former of which is in a similar spot to MK8D.

Price - More or less what was expected. There's definitely some wiggle room come the holiday season. Considering you'll no longer have to buy both a console & and handheld in the long run gamers will be saving money. The 3DS launched at $250 after all.

Online - It depends on how well it runs and protects against hackers versus the cost. The voice chat hopefully will be made so you can use it like any other traditional console, but to Nintendo's credit, having it on an app for your phone does help with the Switch's main gimmick.

Controller Prices - Definitely should have gotten them down to $50, maybe $60 tops. Controllers shouldn't cost more than actual games. They're obviously taking a loss on the system itself and have to make up the money somewhere, but it still hurts.

Marketing - The fact that it's not apart of the Wii naming line I think is being heavily underestimated. Granted the name "Switch" could be better, but there at least there wasn't any wave of confusion like the Wii U had at it's E3 reveal. If Nintendo can pull off more trailers like the Switch's initial reveal, stake out more time on popular shows like Jimmy Fallon, put mobile apps to good use, and have more commercials beyond "Squid Kid" they should be set.

3rd Parties - Thankfully it seems the Switch will be significantly easier to develop for than the Wii U. Developers are going to have to make sure a lot of their games going forward work at the different spec levels the PS4/Xbone will soon have anyway. If it's easy enough to port a game, it shouldn't take much for Nintendo to get them on board. This is the most iffy thing Nintendo faces, but potentially the easiest to fix.

I'm personally leaning towards Gamecube level sales numbers for this thing. I really hope they learned their lessons with the Wii U. E3 will be the ultimate deciding factor, though hopefully we get another Direct shortly after launch for general company updates.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah no there definitely seems to be a lot of Wii U vibes coming from the system. Not in that the gimmick is dumb, I still think the gimmick is useful and not the crux of the system's problems... but there's just too much Nintendo still seems to refuse learning. Online, third-parties, marketing (which until the presentation they had been nailing).

On a personal level I'm not too bothered, because what I wanted most was a consolidated library and console games on the go, and we're still going to be getting those. But would it be nice to have a bunch of third-party games at my disposal to play wherever I want to? Sure. And it's a real disappointment and problem that Nintendo still can't, or won't, secure them.

Also, the online setup they've gone with honestly seems like a literal joke. Like, almost bordering on self-parody.

But Nintendo gonna Nintendo. And I really wish that could stop being an accurate explanation when all common sense seems to fail the company. Or maybe it's the other way around. That said, I also still believe the Switch will do better than the Wii U, but not by as markedly as I'd once thought. And it's going to be a real headache dealing with Nintendo's bull**** for at least another console cycle. Possibly, perhaps probably, much longer.

They need fresh blood more than a dialysis patient. >_<
Pretty much.

It's their unwillingness to learn from their mistakes that I find most frustrating about this all.

I just hope no one actually bothers to get or worse yet defend their awful online service.

Personally I'll be sitting this console cycle out, and any future ones until Nintendo gets it together again, which right now is looking more like a far off dream, than anything with any legit chance of happening as Nintendo seems squarely focused on regaining that casual market.

I predict 24 million lifetime sales at best. Better than WiiU thanks to the boost from the stronger portable market, but there's not way it's gonna hit 3DS level sales, as its making the same mistakes the 3DS made early in its life, and the portable market is very quickly dying. I think Nintendo would have to TRY to get the Switch to sell worse than WiiU, but I wouldn't cross my fingers for decent 3rd party support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be fair, Capcom saying they're not going to port a Resident Evil game is like an alcoholic saying they're not going to drink.
He's right you know.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
To be fair, Capcom saying they're not going to port a Resident Evil game is like an alcoholic saying they're not going to drink.
After how RE6 and Revelations 2 weren't on the Wii U, I'm not holding my breath.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll be honest.

I'm worried about third party support for the big western releases.

Japan seems to love the thing to death so that's encouraging. I have full confidence it'll get lots of Japanese games.

EA says Nintendo is closely working with third parties and the Disgea guys said porting was super easy.

We'll see.

D

Deleted member

I'll be honest.

I'm worried about third party support for the big western releases.

Japan seems to love the thing to death so that's encouraging. I have full confidence it'll get lots of Japanese games.

EA says Nintendo is closely working with third parties and the Disgea guys said porting was super easy.

We'll see.
Many Devs said the same thing during the WiiU launch, and look how that turned out. WiiU got TWO Fifa games, NBA, Mass Effect 3, and a bunch of other year old 3rd party games. Switch is getting the PS3 port of Fifa games, downscaled ports of DQ Heroes (a Japanese game), Skyrim (a 6 year old game), and ports of Rayman Legends, Binding of Isaac, Cave Story, and other games that released well over 1-3 years ago.

It's not getting Titanfall 2, it's not getting CoD, or Battlefield 1, it's not getting Resident Evil, it's not getting SFV, it's not getting Mass Effect Andromeda, hell, it's not even getting Fallout 4, Dishonored, or Doom, all of which are current gen Bethesda games, it's very likely the Skyrim isn't the new current gen version of it if Switch isn't getting FO4 or Doom. Also, despite the rumors, Dark Souls III is nowhere to be seen.

WiiU at least got the latest Call of Duties, Watch Dogs and a few other hot AAA games in its first 2 years.

If you look at the WiiU launch, it had a much stronger 3rd party line up than Switch. Switch has a much stronger 1st party line up to be fair, but it's also composed mostly of WiiU ports. At the same time, it should be noted that WiiU shipped with 3 million units on launch, and all preorders and initial sales totally sold out when it came out. Switch accomplishing the same thing with 2 million launch units, and very limited Preorders is nothing to laud at. Time will tell how successful the Switch will be, but thus far, it's not very deviated from the WiiU's launch aside from slightly better marketing.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It'd be nice to even get more of the Japanese AAA though. Sonic, Dragon Quest, and the probable Monster Hunter are perfectly good to acquire, but... they're always there. Their presence indicates little. Getting some mainline FF, KH, RE, or MvC would be the coup here. That'd be a better indicator to see Japan was really on board.

Even seeing that From Software contribution materialize would be something.

I do think the Switch will fare better in Japan than elsewhere... but so far it really doesn't seem like we're getting much from Japan that breaks the mold in any way. Perhaps I'm forgetting something.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It'd be nice to even get more of the Japanese AAA though. Sonic, Dragon Quest, and the probable Monster Hunter are perfectly good to acquire, but... they're always there. Their presence indicates little. Getting some mainline FF, KH, RE, or MvC would be the coup here. That'd be a better indicator to see Japan was really on board.

Even seeing that From Software contribution materialize would be something.

I do think the Switch will fare better in Japan than elsewhere... but so far it really doesn't seem like we're getting much from Japan that breaks the mold in any way. Perhaps I'm forgetting something.
If it helps.

We have a confirmed Tales game, a confirmed Blaze Blue game and Nobunga's Ambition as far as big Japanese titles go.

Tales is probably the biggest out of that.

That said, since Square is releasing like a bajillion titles for the thing, I can see Final Fantasy games there in the future.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If it helps.

We have a confirmed Tales game, a confirmed Blaze Blue game and Nobunga's Ambition as far as big Japanese titles go.

That said, since Square is releasing like a bajillion titles for the thing, I can see Final Fantasy games there in the future.
I'm going to reserve my judgment on those three until we actually see they're new titles that release day and date with their counterparts. That's what indicates actual faith. Because I can't speak for the third, but we have gotten the past two last gen as old ports. Not on the Wii U, but the 3DS. So...

But if they are new titles that release day and date that's super! I hope that's the case.

D

Deleted member

If it helps.

Blazblue is definitely Central Fiction. Mori announced right after the release of CF in November that there would not be any more BB fighting games for a while. That they'd like new genres.

Seeing as how Revelator became available on Steam in December, 6ish months after release on Sony consoles, I'd recon BB CF will get a Switch and Steam release around April, that's why it's on that list.

I'd say it's a similar story with the Tales game, obviously Berseria, which JUST came out on PS4 and Steam here in the west like a few days ago. Ofc, Tales and Nobunaga are both Bamco games, which have always been friendly with Nintendo even during the WiiU. Who do you think is developing Fire Emblem Warriors.

ASW is a new change, but they're obviously testing the waters with BB. It's odd that Revelator is missing as Guilty Gear is their flagship series, and is getting a new update. Blazblue was also on 3DS at launch, Continiuum Shift Extend iirc, but since it didn't sell very well, they didn't bother to release more on the platform.

All this comes down to what is said in the video I posted a couple pages back, the cost of making a port vs. the profit gained by releasing that port. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was like $5 million or something, and they need to sell a certain number to break even. This, you're gonna have a lot of devs dipping their toes before committing to the Switch at all. ASW for example, is a small company, thus, the cost of porting all their big names to Switch might present a huge financial risk for them.

I agree with N3ON that Dark Souls, MvC, SFV, Guilty Gear Revelator, Resident Evil 7, Final Fanasy XV would all inspire a lot more faith in the 3rd party support for the device.

Capcom confirming no RE7, and giving Switch owners a port of SFII over the brand new SFV is a very bad sign. But it's not like I can blame those devs for feeling like their more costly games wouldn't sell very well on Switch. Considering how the WiiU ports of AAA fared.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Who do you think is developing Fire Emblem Warriors.
Not Namco.

Tecmo.

Also. Nobunga's Ambition is Tecmo.

They are two different companies.

and giving Switch owners a port of SFII over the brand new SFV is a very bad sign
To be fair.

Sony paid money to ensure SFV is Sony exclusive (barring PC). I never expected it like I don't expect it on Xbox.

All this comes down to what is said in the video I posted a couple pages back, the cost of making a port vs. the profit gained by releasing that port. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it was like $5 million or something, and they need to sell a certain number to break even. This, you're gonna have a lot of devs dipping their toes before committing to the Switch at all. ASW for example, is a small company, thus, the cost of porting all their big names to Switch might present a huge financial risk for them.
To help with this, apparently porting to the Switch is super easy.

Not just from rumors either. Straight from developers.

Still, it does cost money, but it helps for sure.

D

Deleted member

Not Namco.

Tecmo.

Also. Nobunga's Ambition is Tecmo.

They are two different companies.

To be fair.

Sony paid money to ensure SFV is Sony exclusive (barring PC). I never expected it like I don't expect it on Xbox.

To help with this, apparently porting to the Switch is super easy.

Not just from rumors either. Straight from developers.

Still, it does cost money, but it helps for sure.
Oh yeah, Temco... how did I get those two confused? Anyway, Tales of is Bamco.

As for SFV, that's fair. But then there's RE7. And FFXV, and a bunch of other key games straight up missing. Both from 2016, and 2017.

And porting, I'm sure its easier to port relative to the WiiU which used custom PowerPC architecture, and have devs series lot of headaches, but Switch is still using ARM, and I'm sure its more complicated to port to than x86, which is what PS4, PC, Vita, and Xbone all use. Making ports across all those platforms is seamless. Making a port for Switch, while easier than WiiU, takes a bit more effort.

Think of it like porting between PC and Android, as Android devices use ARM as well.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As for SFV, that's fair. But then there's RE7. And FFXV, and a bunch of other key games straight up missing. Both from 2016, and 2017.
It might be that they aren't getting released on the Switch as they have already released.

I want to wait and see what happens with titles released in 2017 after March first.

And porting, I'm sure its easier to port relative to the WiiU which used custom PowerPC architecture, and have devs series lot of headaches, but Switch is still using ARM, and I'm sure its more complicated to port to than x86, which is what PS4, PC, Vita, and Xbone all use. Making ports across all those platforms is seamless. Making a port for Switch, while easier than WiiU, takes a bit more effort.

Think of it like porting between PC and Android, as Android devices use ARM as well.
Actually.

The current idea of Switch architecture may be wrong.

I want to wait on that front though. It could easily go either way.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

This could probably be either a larger problem or a solution.

I guess it depends on how one sees it.
What I can say is PS Vita does fairly well in Japan, but 3DS has three titles that destroys its competition. Monster Hunter, Pokemon, and especially Yokai Watch. PS Vita has games that attract anime fans, but 3DS attracts audiences of all ages.
Many Devs said the same thing during the WiiU launch, and look how that turned out. WiiU got TWO Fifa games, NBA, Mass Effect 3, and a bunch of other year old 3rd party games. Switch is getting the PS3 port of Fifa games, downscaled ports of DQ Heroes (a Japanese game), Skyrim (a 6 year old game), and ports of Rayman Legends, Binding of Isaac, Cave Story, and other games that released well over 1-3 years ago.
That's a bit of the same case back when PS4 was launched. There weren't any huge launch titles for PS4.
And here are some points I need to correct, a bit.
Switch getting PS3 port of FIFA games so far is debunked by Peter Moore from EA, nevertheless he said Switch is getting custom-built for the platform. As such recent fifa games have been developed up to PS3 and Xbox 360, so I don't see that's a huge deal. And we are also be getting NBA2K18.
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/...ts-and-says-its-custom-built-for-the-console/

DQ Heros sure it will be down scaled, only on graphics standpoint, but Square did tell us that DQ Heros on Switch won't just be a direct down-scaled port. They will utilize HD rumble and add new characters.
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/...ded-to-switch-version-of-dragon-quest-heroes/

Skyrim still yet to be confirmed special addition,but let's fingers crossed it is.
If you look at the WiiU launch, it had a much stronger 3rd party line up than Switch. Switch has a much stronger 1st party line up to be fair, but it's also composed mostly of WiiU ports. At the same time, it should be noted that WiiU shipped with 3 million units on launch, and all preorders and initial sales totally sold out when it came out. Switch accomplishing the same thing with 2 million launch units, and very limited Preorders is nothing to laud at. Time will tell how successful the Switch will be, but thus far, it's not very deviated from the WiiU's launch aside from slightly better marketing.
Yeah, I hope they can back up more when the console is launched, and maybe drop prices on the accessories.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I actually want to buy a Nintendo Switch since I found out it was portable but I want to wait until the price drops. (Of course if a Smash Bros or Pilotwings game comes out then I might wanna buy it at full price;)

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I actually want to buy a Nintendo Switch since I found out it was portable but I want to wait until the price drops. (Of course if a Smash Bros or Pilotwings game comes out then I might wanna buy it at full price;)
I am waiting for the price to drop too, also waiting for the stock to come back.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Thought this might be useful to post~

People argue about the launch lineup when they might not know there are many titles coming.
I mean games coming 2017 and beyond takes up half of this chart.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People argue about the launch lineup when they might not know there are many titles coming.
I mean games coming 2017 and beyond takes up half of this chart.
Yes but most of them are ports or indie titles.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes but most of them are ports or indie titles.
I know that, but does that doesn't mean indie games aren't relevant.
What we need is more exclusive third party titles and AAA titles.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Indie games are super nice to have, on average I find myself more interested in them than big-name releases these days, but most don't draw much of a crowd in terms of audience or those actual big-name developers.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
The fact that the Switch has a BlazBlue title confirmed before the PC port of Central Fiction has a release date is hysterical.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The fact that the Switch has a BlazBlue title confirmed before the PC port of Central Fiction has a release date is hysterical.
The recent retail trailer for Stardew Valley collector's did not mention it coming to Nintendo Switch. I hope to play that game on the go soon.

And since I can't preorder NA region Switch. I was wondering since the console is region free and any my Nintendo accounts can be registered on one console regardless of region. Is it possible to change the system language this time?
Some did ask this question on the Nintendo Support forum, this is the best reply:
At the current time, details regarding supported languages on Nintendo Switch are currently unknown. With only a few weeks to go before release, it's likely this information will be revealed in the near future, so stay tuned for more information.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I originally had no intention on buying the Switch until its reveal trailer back in October convinced me otherwise. Games lineup on launch day doesn't look very promising besides Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which I'm getting for the Wii U. I'm hoping to hear more details about the system between now and March 3rd before I even consider buying it, otherwise I'll just wait until later in the year to get my hands on it.

In the meantime, I can just sit here and wait for the Switch to come out and see how well it's going to sell.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Switch will sell more when Smash is announced... doesn't matter if it is SSB4 Deluxe (3DS + Wii U + DLC) or SSB5.

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman

It's not getting Titanfall 2, it's not getting CoD, or Battlefield 1, it's not getting Resident Evil, it's not getting SFV, it's not getting Mass Effect Andromeda, hell, it's not even getting Fallout 4, Dishonored, or Doom, all of which are current gen Bethesda games, it's very likely the Skyrim isn't the new current gen version of it if Switch isn't getting FO4 or Doom. Also, despite the rumors, Dark Souls III is nowhere to be seen.

WiiU at least got the latest Call of Duties, Watch Dogs and a few other hot AAA games in its first 2 years.

What about KHIII. (Kingdom Hearts III). Is it coming to the Switch.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have poof it can be on the Switch.
Kingdom Hearts III runs on Unreal Engine 4 and Epic Games conformed that Unreal Engine 4 can run on the Switch.
Well yes...

Can.

But will it?

Whole nother question.

Top Bottom