• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Shuts Down Collegiate Smash Ultimate League

****Nintendo.jpg

Right as it seemed that the Sephiroth reveal might have the unfortunate side effect of offsetting the outrage caused by Nintendo's recent stifling of their games' competitive scenes, they went ahead and did it again. It was recently announced that Nintendo has shut down a collegiate Super Smash Bros. Ultimate league that was set to run during the upcoming Spring semester. This news came in the form of a tweet from St. Clair College professor and varsity esports director Shaun Byrne, which contains a screenshot of a a representative from PlayVS announcing the cancellation in a Discord server.

PlayVS is a startup focused on growing high school and collegiate esports programs, and currently organizes leagues for Fortnite, Overwatch, League of Legends, SMITE, Rocket League, Madden 21 and FIFA 21. They have raised over $106.2M and are generally considered one of the largest organizations involved in collegiate and high school esports.

The message in the screenshot also seems to indicate that Nintendo has their own plans to start their own. It is currently unknown whether or not they plan to actually make good on their promise to establish their own collegiate esports league, though considering past promises of competitive circuits and other esports initiatives that never fully materialized, this seems unlikely.

Scribe

Comments

I don't see the issue here. Nintendo said it had plans to host their own event nothing wrong with that.
the problem with that is that history shows they use that wording to basically stonewall any third party from doing their own event. if you recall, there was a whole revelation about how numerous third parties have offered to fund potential esports outlets for Smash, and Nintendo basically kept them on hold for months on end. that's effectively what happened during the times of later Project M and Smash 4... there was a whole discussion on this behavior quite recently, with TOs from the biggest tournaments have vouched for what was being said about Nintendo more or less being a tease on the idea of hosting competition.

it's practically becoming a rule in this day and age, mostly in politics, but it applies here: "NEVER take ANYONE at their word alone, they need to show they're committed to a promise. if you ask a question, and they become vague and go out of their way to avoid directly answering the question, they're banking on your assumptions, whatever they are."

Conclusion without bias:

If there is a collegiate league, and Nintendo would rather have Smashers okay in their league, then they just make one that's better, rather than eliminating competition before it exists.

If this was anyone or anything but Nintendo, you would've seen this yourself.

Conclusion without bias:

If there is a collegiate league, and Nintendo would rather have Smashers okay in their league, then they just make one that's better, rather than eliminating competition before it exists.

If this was anyone or anything but Nintendo, you would've seen this yourself.
Yeah even objectively, you think it would be a very odd choice to be like "okay, we have this great idea for a full collegiate smash league. We haven't made anything public, seemingly haven't made any solid plans, and haven't done anything to cause rumors of these events happening, but we should really get rid of any competition before we go any further." Like who does that? I think this whole Nintendo planning a Smash college league is just BS.

Yeah even objectively, you think it would be a very odd choice to be like "okay, we have this great idea for a full collegiate smash league. We haven't made anything public, seemingly haven't made any solid plans, and haven't done anything to cause rumors of these events happening, but we should really get rid of any competition before we go any further." Like who does that? I think this whole Nintendo planning a Smash college league is just BS.
especially considering the situation with esports in other games, not just fighters... there are whole teams that are willing to move to another country if that's truly where the best of the best players get together and practice. if Nintendo were to launch a league that, in the end, turns out to be more rewarding and beneficial than any other startup the other organizations have tried, then players will recognize that and migrate over. it's basically the difference between "MY Club is better than theirs, and here's why" over "there can be only ONE of that club, and it's MINE, but we're not ready to take new members yet."

You never know, unlike the other tournaments that got C&Ds, this one hasn’t... so maybe it could happen????? I don’t know.
My guess is that this is the same as The Big House 10 Online—they were "politely" asked to cancel the event. When they decided they should still be okay to do it, Nintendo publicly issued the C&D. I'm guessing Nintendo did the usually strong-arming behind the scenes, and it's a little hard to just "go ahead" with a whole league, rather than an individual tournament.

Last edited:
Looks like the smash community jumped to conclusions too fast yet again. But I know in fact that the author of this page is going to ignore this.

Last edited:
Looks like the smash community jumped to conclusions too fast yet again. But I know in fact that the author of this page is going to ignore this.
Smash Community: OOPSY POOPSY!!!!

Last edited:
We made a conclusion with the facts available. Now we’ll consider changing our stance on this.

It seems I was right in withholding my judgment after all. We should not let some anonymous source dictate our actions and feeling without verifying if it holds any weight or not. People in the smash community are upset about the Melee thing and I feel they let their fury fly without warning. The community jumped to conclusions and I think we should gather all the facts before pointing fingers.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to think these tweets really change anything?...
It's the company who was trying to host the event in the first place. That's reason to believe Nintendo will host their thing. If they don't...well, that's when it's time to dust off our #SaveSmash signs.

Looks like there is more to this story.
This honestly doesn't really change much from the previous update with this situation, especially since PlayVS' post on the misconception between Nintendo and PlayVS was posted at the 19th, a few days ago.

It does suck that Dela ended up getting his contracted terminated.

They still haven’t gotten a C&D yet.
I don’t think there were negotiations between Nintendo and PlayVs after all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom