• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo should just release Melee on eshop.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
I heard that Iwata announced the NX to ensure gamers and people in general that they weren't leaving the console and video game market behind in spite of their new endeavors, the most notable likely being the announcement of their QOL division and entry into mobile gaming. As others have said it was a smart move businesswise, and also told gamers they weren't leaving anytime soon.

I'd love a rerelease of Melee but I really don't need it right now since I have a copy. But eventually it may not work and then digital may be the way to go. I wonder if there would be input lag
speaking of having a copy melee is impossible to find on ebay because every new listing gets sold in 2 seconds

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
There are like 3 copies of Melee at my local hobby shop, all of them 50-55 bucks.

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
What if they released melee hd or whatever for the wiiU and bam, everything's the same, everything's awesome again. Except wave dashing doesn't exist and infinite air dodging is a thing

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
That would make everything not the same then.

Also the loss off directional air dodging would remove wavedashing anyway.

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Yea, but what would the reaction be from everyone if they did that....

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I wonder how people would feel if PAL balance was the version used for all regions.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
With zero shieldstun, very low hitstun, the rage mechanic, greatly increased aerial landing lag, and a lower amount of ground movement options, I don't quite see how this is the case.
I agree with you they aren't the same but a lot of these points are exaggerated.

That said, I would hope for them to not have a frame issue the release of 64 had before they consider releasing it on virtual console.

they just wouldn't buy it and nintendo would go bankrupt for ruining the only good fighting game they have on there consoles
Not really.

It's not going to cost them that much to rerelease it.

Last edited:

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I agree with you they aren't the same but a lot of these points are exaggerated.

That said, I would hope for them to not have a frame issue the release of 64 had before they consider releasing it on virtual console.
Excuse me? How are any of those points exaggerated? There really is zero shieldstun. Hitstun is lower and made worse thanks to the fact that you can airdodge out of stun. Aerial landing lag is increased, especially since L Cancelling isn't a thing. There are less ground movement options overall, which makes the lack of shieldstun (and lack of push back when you shield next to an edge) even worse of a problem. I shouldn't even have to say that the rage mechanic isn't exaggerated.

They're different games, and they have different engine mechanics. Stating the differences isn't exaggeration, it's just stating the facts. I personally find all of those things to be negative, but the original statement was that Smash 4 is like Melee. Which it isn't, as I said through stating the facts.

If you'd rather me just state an opinion, I can talk about my issues with Smash 4 all day long. But stating the facts about engine changes is not exaggeration.

(Please note that I am not trying to turn this into Melee vs Smash 4. It just bothers me when someone says I'm exaggerating when I'm flat out saying the facts)

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Excuse me? How are any of those points exaggerated? There really is zero shieldstun. Hitstun is lower and made worse thanks to the fact that you can airdodge out of stun. Aerial landing lag is increased, especially since L Cancelling isn't a thing. There are less ground movement options overall, which makes the lack of shieldstun (and lack of push back when you shield next to an edge) even worse of a problem. I shouldn't even have to say that the rage mechanic isn't exaggerated.

They're different games, and they have different engine mechanics. Stating the differences isn't exaggeration, it's just stating the facts. I personally find all of those things to be negative, but the original statement was that Smash 4 is like Melee. Which it isn't, as I said through stating the facts.

If you'd rather me just state an opinion, I can talk about my issues with Smash 4 all day long. But stating the facts about engine changes is not exaggeration.

(Please note that I am not trying to turn this into Melee vs Smash 4. It just bothers me when someone says I'm exaggerating when I'm flat out saying the facts)
Either do I want to turn this into a vs threads just that your facts I find to me empirically wrong.

Shield stun is not zero, it's 14 frames on average and maybe more, it's also higher to drop your shield if you do not get hit. It's not 64/Melee/PM levels of they can't do anything but it is there with counter play.

You can't airdodge out of stun, or hoo haa wouldn't be a thing, or sheik doing Auto cancelled needles into Bouncing fish, or Ganon literally able to stomp into Usmash, yes that is a legit combo in smash 4.

Tumble hitstun is different, I'm asking you don't mesh them together.

Aerial landing lag is only bad because people point to Marth' fair and say, look how bad this landing lag is!, but then ignore the fact his nair, uair and bair all auto cancel. Same for a lot of the cast. Like not everyone suffers captain falcon's knee levels of landing lag.

With or without l-cancelling, which is a bad mechanic over just presetting the landing lag, aerials aren't super laggy like you are stating they are.

Ground options are worse for lack of dash dancing, though smash 4 has this just not as good, it still has pivots, run stop cancelling, foxtrots, etc. It just has some more risk to it vs virtually none.

I don't mind people like or disliking one game or another, I don't however like people spreading misinformation. Either empirically untrue, shield stun and aerial frame data, or something I find to not be anywhere close to how you are listing it, cancelling hitstun and ground options.

People can like or hate what they want. I do not want misinformation spread when I see it.

That is all.

D

Deleted member

A Melee re-release with slightly better graphics and online would be cool, but a straight port from the GameCube version would be more likely. Either way, it should happen.

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I wonder how people would feel if PAL balance was the version used for all regions.
The PAL version is OK i guess. It feels like how it should run on CTR TVs but were the nerfs really necessary?

Last edited:

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
The problem I have with graphics is that I'm just not ready to say goodbye to melee's graphics and also they'd **** up the opening

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The Wii U isn't capable of reading analog imput from analog triggers. Ergo, a Melee port/remake would be gimped because of the lack of light shielding. Same with Luigi's Mansion (elemental thingys) and Super Mario Sunshine.

Miamoto brings it up when talking about F-Zero on Wii U. GX would be even more impossible without analog triggers.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I'd be up for this if they implemented some balance tweaks. But man, I can see the massive outrage that would cause.

finalark

SNORLAX
I imagine most people would be pretty salty. When you have a game with a following as devout as Melee's it's impossible to make changes that everyone would be universally on board with.

Also, for everyone worried about the GCN two-click shoulder button functions being lost: ZR/ZL could be used for full click while L/R could be used for single click. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Also, for everyone worried about the GCN two-click shoulder button functions being lost: ZR/ZL could be used for full click while L/R could be used for single click. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
I suppose, but that creates the problem of both a irreversible control change for the old-schoolers and overcomplicates shielding for newcomers. Or several mechanics in other games for that matter. Then there's the problem of replacing Z...

Eh. GCVC is kinda a terrible idea with the lack of analog triggers anyway.

finalark

SNORLAX
I suppose, but that creates the problem of both a irreversible control change for the old-schoolers and overcomplicates shielding for newcomers. Or several mechanics in other games for that matter. Then there's the problem of replacing Z...
Alternatively, L could be single click and R could be Z. Like I said, it's not perfect, but it's a solution. Although it really doesn't mater. Even if Nintendo was to release Wuu Melee in any capacity I doubt it would affect the competitive scene. The GCN version would still be considered the definitive, competitive version of the game.

If I recall, the same thing happened with MVC2 where the DC version remained the competitive version of the game for years until the PS3/360 port came out. So I've heard.

Eh. GCVC is kinda a terrible idea with the lack of analog triggers anyway.
Nintendo could get around a lot of problems if they allowed the GCN adapter to be used. That being said, I'd still like to digital GCN games. They wouldn't be perfect, but it would be nice for the younger generation who missed out on the GCN due to either being to young or not existing when the console was current. And it would also be nice for those of us who just want to revisit Weegee's Mansion without dropping $30+ dollars on it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nintendo could get around a lot of problems if they allowed the GCN adapter to be used. That being said, I'd still like to digital GCN games. They wouldn't be perfect, but it would be nice for the younger generation who missed out on the GCN due to either being to young or not existing when the console was current. And it would also be nice for those of us who just want to revisit Weegee's Mansion without dropping $30+ dollars on it.
Depends if the adapter just translates the analog button imput to a digital one or not. I'd bet it does, and that'd be impossible to fix because it's hardware.

Still would be nice, but I don't see it happening until we get a Nintendo system with proper analog triggers again. Nintendo is particular about this stuff.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The adapter keeps the analog triggers as they are. Tested my adapter on a Dolphin emulator, and I was able to get light shields out. Unless some driver patches were put into work, it should be fine.

Nintendo's been slow on the VC scene for Wii U. I'm hoping they're just going to just get their act together next console. It'd feel late to add GC VC or digital stuff now, imo, depending on how long they want to sustain the Wii U.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo's been slow on the VC scene for Wii U. I'm hoping they're just going to just get their act together next console. It'd feel late to add GC VC or digital stuff now, imo, depending on how long they want to sustain the Wii U.
I've been pretty disappointed with how Nintendo's been handling the VC recently. They just now started releasing Nintendo 64 games and I doubt we'll ever see GCN releases.

I'm also pretty baffled at their decision to release GBA games exclusively on Wii U. Not only does it not make sense to only release games made for a portable console on a home one, but it almost feels like they're giving 3DS owners who have eagerly been awaiting downloadable GBA games the shaft.

Also, choosing to go with digital original DS games on Wii U instead of on 3DS is similarly strange and disappointing.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
It'd be nice to see a re-release, but with Smash 4 being a thing now, I think Nintendo should wait a little longer before actually releasing Melee again either on the Wii U or on the NX. Besides, I own the game anyway, so I don't care if it ever gets a re-release or not.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I've been pretty disappointed with how Nintendo's been handling the VC recently. They just now started releasing Nintendo 64 games and I doubt we'll ever see GCN releases.

I'm also pretty baffled at their decision to release GBA games exclusively on Wii U. Not only does it not make sense to only release games made for a portable console on a home one, but it almost feels like they're giving 3DS owners who have eagerly been awaiting downloadable GBA games the shaft.

Also, choosing to go with digital original DS games on Wii U instead of on 3DS is similarly strange and disappointing.
We probably won't see GC releases, because the Wii U likely isn't capable of emulating GC games. Heck, quite a lot of really high-end PCs have a hard time with some GC games. At the end of the day, the virtual console is just an emulator, and emulation is very resource-intensive. The only reason the Wii could play Gamecube games is because it had some Gamecube hardware inside of it, like how the Wii U only plays Wii games because it has some Wii hardware.

Top Bottom