• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Reviving Old and Birthing New IP Speculation Thread

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The news may be old, but what do you think the new and existing IPs will be?

Source: https://gonintendo.com/stories/2938...ll-continue-to-provide-traditional-ip-and-new

Speaking of New IP, Monolith Soft has a new game in the works:

Pictures:

Source to Monolith Soft Website about the new game (hint: it is in development):

https://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/special/

Retro Studios is not developing the new Metroid Prime so what could they be working on?

So, what are your thoughts?

My hopes are a new Magical Starsign, new Golden Sun, new Sin and Punishment, new Advance Wars, new Takamaru game, and new F-Zero.

What existing IP will be brought back and what gaming genre will the new IP take hold?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Advance Wars plz. Although for that to happen we need to do some voodo magic shenanigans. Like a ritual to bring the franchise back to life. It worked for Metroid didn't it?

More likely revivals on the Switch would probably be F-Zero or Kid Icarus.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The original was so good. One of my favorite games and unfortunately it seems like I lost it. Might get another copy at some point. But yea a reboot might be good.
You can buy it on Wii U VC for less than 10 bucks.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The original was so good. One of my favorite games and unfortunately it seems like I lost it. Might get another copy at some point. But yea a reboot might be good.
Yeah the first game was a huge hit on the GBA and was the reason why Nintendo started to release other TBS games in the West.

If you have a Wii U you can get the entire Wars World trilogy of Advance Wars on the E-Shop. Those games being the first Advance Wars (GBA), Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (GBA), and Advance Wars Dual Strike (DS).

You can also look for used copies of Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (DS) on Amazon or something but be warned that the game is a significant departure from the Wars World games. I mean it still plays like an AW game but it's setting and tone are much more serious. Hopefully if the series ever returned it can go back to it's lighthearted roots.
You can buy it on Wii U VC for less than 10 bucks.
I approve of this idea. :)

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
My personal top three of series revivals:
1. Advance Wars
2. F-Zero
3. Wario Land

Kid Icarus.
A revival of a series that got a new game only five years ago doesn't really sound right. Especially for a game that sold more than a million copies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A revival of a series that got a new game only five years ago doesn't really sound right. Especially for a game that sold more than a million copies.
It was 6 years ago I think.

I just hear people bring that up as a potential series that needs to be revived or whatever. And really it's more likely to get a new game than most of the other dormant series. That and F-Zero.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, Kid Icarus doesn't count as dead. It's a series that can be continued, but it was already revived.

F-Zero would be nice, though. As would Startropics, and eventually Murasame's Castle.

3rd party exclusives, that said, would be neat to see a revival too. Mischief Makers, Flying Dragon, Quest 64(and its series' games),

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Now I'm excited. So many good games I can buy. My wish list is getting insane.
For sure. All the AW games are great. My personal favorite is AW2 for it's Campaign though you can't go wrong with any game.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
huh. that medieval monolith soft game looks interesting, if true.

I only rrly would like WarioLand to be revived, Kid Icarus Continued with large investments. Also continue Dillon becuase I like his design.
I think Takamaru might be good but I don't mind if it never happens.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I'd honestly like them to revive the Pokemon Ranger sub-series. And I want the XD Gale of Darkness sequel, cause they left some hanging plot threads in the game.

And I hope they keep going with the Mystery Dungeon sub-series. And let's just all get it out of they way, let's have the Pokemon Snap sequel already Pokemon Company.

D

Deleted member

The series that needs a revival the most is F-Zero.
I think there is a crowd for this series and I know a lot of people have been begging for a new F-Zero, so... what gives?

I feel like Kid Icarus, Punch Out!!, and Wario Land need to continue as well. They technically aren't "dead," but they were revived with no recent entries beyond the revivals and not much done other than having more content in Smash 4 (though Wario Land only got a song...).

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
Advance Wars plz. Although for that to happen we need to do some voodo magic shenanigans. Like a ritual to bring the franchise back to life. It worked for Metroid didn't it?
Advance Wars revival? I don't know, there developers Intelligent Systems are busy with two games, Wario Ware Gold and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. (formally Fire Emblem Switch)

Also thinking of Wario, Wario Land need to continue as well. It got revived with no recent entries beyond Wario Land: Shake It!

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Advance Wars revival? I don't know, there developers Intelligent Systems are busy, busy, busy with two games, Wario Ware Gold and Fire Emblem: The Three Houses. (formally Fire Emblem Switch)

Also thinking of Wario, Wario Land need to continue as well. It got revived with no recent entries beyond Wario Land: Shake It!
There is rumored to be a 3DS game in development so there's that. IS is a big enough studio to do multiple games regardless if they do AW.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
My dream list of revivals

• StarTropics
  • Mach Rider
  • Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
  • Wario's Woods
  • Game & Watch Gallery
  • Yoshi Safari
  • F-Zero
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Early Arcade Titles
I've got no specific ideas for most of these titles. But some of them have been dormant for too long. Some of them never even got a second game. But given how things have changed in recent years it feels criminal that they haven't had a new iteration. ( especially pokemon snap, holy crap, we literally have cameras, gyroscopes, and image sharing built into our consoles now )

Mach Rider, I had an idea for how this would go ever since I beat Breath of the Wild's DLC. Imagine a game like Breath of the Wild, but instead of a wilderness overtaken by nature, it's an urban wasteland. And your bike is much faster than the Master Cycle Zero, with mounted guns, an ability to go staight up walls, and a built in glider, so you can glide off of cliffs without abandoning your bike. Enemies range from bandits on bikes, and giant mutants.

As for Game & Watch Gallery, I want a concept like WarioWare Gold. Just bring all the old games back, remastered, while adding a few new ones... you can't really make "new" game and watch games, but you can make modern versions of games that didn't get modern versions in the past, like Zelda for instance. Maybe instead of solely using Mario characters for the modern versions you could use various Nintendo characters. Add online leader boards and you got yourself a budget title.

And lastly, Early arcade tittles... Balloon Fight, CluClu Land, Ice Climber, Mario Bros. Donkey Kong Jr., Devil World, Ect... I want these games to get the "Pac-Man Championship Edition" treatment.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
My dream list of revivals

• StarTropics
  • Mach Rider
  • Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
  • Wario's Woods
  • Game & Watch Gallery
  • Yoshi Safari
  • F-Zero
  • Pokemon Snap
  • Early Arcade Titles
I've got no specific ideas for most of these titles. But some of them have been dormant for too long. Some of them never even got a second game. But given how things have changed in recent years it feels criminal that they haven't had a new iteration. ( especially pokemon snap, holy crap, we literally have cameras, gyroscopes, and image sharing built into our consoles now )
Exactly and the Labo camera would be good for Pokemon Snap.

Mach Rider, I had an idea for how this would go ever since I beat Breath of the Wild's DLC. Imagine a game like Breath of the Wild, but instead of a wilderness overtaken by nature, it's an urban wasteland. And your bike is much faster than the Master Cycle Zero, with mounted guns, an ability to go staight up walls, and a built in glider, so you can glide off of cliffs without abandoning your bike. Enemies range from bandits on bikes, and giant mutants.
I think if you take the combat from Hyrule Warriors or God Hand and give that to Mach Rider then it would work well added as off vehicle combat. Your idea sounds awesome for Mach Rider.

As for Game & Watch Gallery, I want a concept like WarioWare Gold. Just bring all the old games back, remastered, while adding a few new ones... you can't really make "new" game and watch games, but you can make modern versions of games that didn't get modern versions in the past, like Zelda for instance. Maybe instead of solely using Mario characters for the modern versions you could use various Nintendo characters. Add online leader boards and you got yourself a budget title.
That could work, but there isn't much you can do with the Game and Watch games.

And lastly, Early arcade tittles... Balloon Fight, CluClu Land, Ice Climber, Mario Bros. Donkey Kong Jr., Devil World, Ect... I want these games to get the "Pac-Man Championship Edition" treatment.

What if Ice Climber gets revived with the survival and climbing mechanics from Breath of the Wild? Include the basic combat and have the Ice Climbers try to survive in harsh climates while fighting off wild vicious animals to gain treasure which can be used to power up traveling equipment and the like.

Star Tropics would be best handled by Grezzo who made Triforce Heroes. They would one of the best to make the game if not the Breath of the Wild team.

As for another franchise I think Eternal Darkness being developed by Retro Studios would be wonderful. Nintendo should establish their Horror IP and bring it back to the forefront in today's lack luster Horror game market.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I want to see more Advance Wars, F-Zero, and Puzzle League — and for the latter, they'd better not kick Lip and friends out again!!!

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
That medieval Monolith Soft game gives me The Legend of Zelda vibes. I want to see it released for 2021.

Star Tropics would be best handled by Grezzo who made Triforce Heroes. They would one of the best to make the game if not the Breath of the Wild team.
I'd rather see Retro Studios do StarTropics. It can be Nintendo's Tomb Raider/Uncharted under their creative vision.

Top Bottom