• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Reveals New Content Creation Guidelines

i_have_crabs_and_its_itchy.jpg

Nintendo has announced that they will be pulling the plug on their controversial Nintendo Creators Program near the end of December. In addition, they uploaded a new set of guidelines for video and image sharing, with the primary takeaway allowing full monetization on media such as YouTube Videos and Livestreams.

This is a massive change, as Nintendo was typically known copyright claiming and taking away monetization from various content creators, be they big or small.

Nintendo does still have some guidelines: the content must be transformative, so while content such as Let’s Plays, Reviews and Livestreams are fair game, uploading raw gameplay or reposts of trailers do not fall into the same category. In addition, the game you're making the content for must be officially released.

For more detailed information and a FAQ, you can take a look at their official page for the aforementioned guidelines.

Author's Note: Nintendo's monetization policies have always been a sour-spot for many, including myself, so I’m extremely happy to see Nintendo take a massive step in the right direction. What do you think of these changes? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:
Kyle "Fenriraga" Hurley

Comments

D
Wonderful news for content creators related to gaming stuff.
Nintendo is doing great.

Maybe the next step will be fan games?

D
Thanks Nintendo much apperciated for channels like GameXPlain ECT.

I 'm sure.

I like this a lot, but I'm unsure about this part.

"You are only permitted to use Nintendo Game Content that has been officially released, or from promotional materials officially released by Nintendo (such as product trailers or Nintendo Directs)."

Does this serve as an issue for making videos about Video game mods and discussing unused data, remember the Sm4sh unused 4th custom moves video was removed?

I like this a lot, but I'm unsure about this part.

"You are only permitted to use Nintendo Game Content that has been officially released, or from promotional materials officially released by Nintendo (such as product trailers or Nintendo Directs)."

Does this serve as an issue for making videos about Video game mods and discussing unused data, remember the Sm4sh unused 4th custom moves video was removed?
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure what they mean by that is "Don't do things with games that are going to be released soon but have been leaked"

Thank God. I have a small channel where I repeatedly put up guides for Zelda, Hyrule Warriors, and some others where I’ve spent extensive hours researching each game to make them. They repeatedly hit my channel with copyright claims in literal minutes after they go up. This was the biggest pain in the *** to deal with. >>

If they're pulling the plug at the end of December, does this mean we have to wait until then to upload pictures and videos or can we start doing that now?

Last edited:
If they're pulling the plug at the end of December, does this mean we have to wait until then to upload pictures and videos or can we start doing that now?
I'm not entirely sure, that's something that has been a bit vauge. Apparently some people are still getting some content claims.

Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Thank god they did this.

It’s been my biggest sticking point with Nintendo. Granted paid online is right now but i’m far less bothered by that than this was for years.

Good change.

Nintendo does still have some guidelines: the content must be transformative, so while content such as Let’s Plays, Reviews and Livestreams are fair game, uploading raw gameplay or reposts of trailers do not fall into the same category.
Does this mean Gamespot and IGN are no longer allowed to just repost their trailers?

D
It's about time. I won't say thank you to Nintendo as it should not have been an issue to begin with.

That said, it's good we're finally past the main issue that's been plaguing the company for a while now.

Now people can finally give them the free advertisement that they've probably realized they will get. Good on you, Nintendo. You're learning. A little. :4pacman:

Nintendo catching up like a sweaty turtle, but they're still catching up nonetheless. Happy to hear the news.

Top Bottom