• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Reveals its New in Home Console, Nintendo Switch!

At 7am PT, on October 20th, Nintendo revealed its next home console, Nintendo Switch.

Official Nintendo Switch Trailer

At long last, the Nintendo NX has been revealed and is given the name of Nintendo Switch. The console will be a hybrid, roughly 14-15mm thick, that allows gamers to switch from the console being connected to a television when resting in the Nintendo Switch Dock, to, when lifted out of the dock, a portable mode. The console includes a high definition display 720p screen that features two detachable Joy-con controllers on each side. The gamer also has the option to prop up the Switch with its kickstand and turn each half of the controller into a simple gamepad. Each Joy-Con controller can be inserted into an accessory called the Joy-Con Grip to imitate a more traditional style and feel of a controller. The console will also support a Nintendo Switch Pro Controller that can be used instead of the detachable Joy-Con units. As both a console and a portable device, the Nintendo Switch will use cartridges known as Game Cards that confirm the rumors earlier this year.

A closer look at Nintendo Switch

While Nintendo did not reveal any technical specifications around the console in its trailer, Nvidia did confirm that the console does run on Nvidia hardware, specifically the company's Tegra line of mobile processors. There is still no word if Nintendo Switch will be able to support backwards compatibility with any of the Wii U's library of games or of any other Nintendo system.

The trailer includes glimpses of gameplay from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon, a Mario Kart game (Mario Kart 8 not confirmed), Skyrim and a Super Mario game.

Here is the list of 3rd party support for the Nintendo Switch:

After two and a half years of the Wii U's life cycle, the late Satoru Iwata mentioned its existence in early March 2015; a nonstop buzzing of rumors and speculations then surrounded NX. Then-president Satoru Iwata described the NX in the 2015 announcement as a "dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept."

Are you guys excited as I am for this new console? What does it mean for the future of Super Smash Bros? Will there be a port? Can this system make an impact in the competitive scene? Will we finally see Super Smash Bros. Melee HD? Feel free to comment below and discuss about how you as a community feel about Nintendo Switch. As always, please follow Nintendo's Twitter for any details, announcements and updates on Nintendo Switch. Stay tuned to SmashBoards for more Nintendo news.

Last edited:
Josh Olalde

Comments

Looks good! I'm excited for this unique concept. Hopefully this will help drag Nintendo out of the rut they're in right now.

Oh yeah baby! Finally here! Let's hope that we see Super Smash Bros NS coming out next year as well! Mark my words ladies and gentlemen, we're going to see a prompt return of Smash! It's likely to be a suped up version of Smash 4, hopefully with new features, stages, and even characters!

A Smash 4 Port has to happen. It'd be wasted potential if they didn't.

The real question is what would the title be called, Super Smash Bros. Switch?

Great to see the NX (now Nintendo Switch) finally get revealed. From what I've seen, looks like a nice concept! Also, the fact that Bandai Namco Entertainment (the main developers behind Smash 4) are a partner HAS to mean there will be another Smash game, be it brand new or a port. And trust me; this has to be confirmation about that.

Last edited:
LOL why does the internet hate this thing? It's such a novel idea!
That being said, they better start revealing new games, because this trailer only showed old games, minus the new 3D Mario.

Totally looking forward to the Switch. It also doesn't seem as hard as I thought it would be to swap from console to handheld which is a nice surprise.

Things I'm waiting to hear about:
How long is the battery life? Also how well can it handle the cold and heat? - It'll decide on how frequently I bring it outside of my house. It gets below 0 in my area so I'm worried about winters destroying it when I'm bringing it to a car that's warmed up.

Will the controllers have Gyros in them? - It's very hard to enjoy aiming the normal way once you've used gyros. Especially if you've played Splatoon. It's just vastly better for aiming, almost as good as using a mouse to the point where the differences between a mouse and controller is negligible.

How many controllers can be used on a single system? Kinda worried that only 2 can connect (which would be terrible for when it's connected to the dock like a home console). I highly doubt that you can't have at least 4 controllers connected though. I bet there's going to be some games that can have up to 8 players though since the controller splits into 2 controllers. But that makes me wonder if 8 pro controllers can be connected or if it's 8 simple controllers and up to 4 pro controllers.

Compatible with 3DS games? Let's just say I don't have a 3DS, and there's a loooot of 3DS games that look pretty sweet that I can't play right now since I'm not usually a person for handheld/mobile games.

That's just some things off the top of my head.

Not sure i'm ready for a new smash game, still got loads to improve on in sm4sh, but hopefully we'll see gamecube on the online store with melee if not a HD remaster, but I doubt we will se that. One can only dream tho...

LOL why does the internet hate this thing? It's such a novel idea!
That being said, they better start revealing new games, because this trailer only showed old games, minus the new 3D Mario.
Most people on the Internet like it.

I hope it sells well. The idea is innovative and I do like it but it may be too gimmicky for the casual audience.

There is also the risk of dropping it (like everyone does with their phones).

I like it but I can't say I'm fully happy with what they've gone for. Hopefully it will sell well.

HYPE, love the Concept and "gimmick" of the ability to switch(ha) between Console and handheld at any time (and dat clicking noise)

Will the controllers have Gyros in them? - It's very hard to enjoy aiming the normal way once you've used gyros. Especially if you've played Splatoon. It's just vastly better for aiming
Uh, ew? No. Strongly disagree. Gyro controls are one of the many reasons I got rid of Splatoon. Normal aiming gameplay that's actually competently programmed to work properly, please. Gyro sucks.

Now then, this thing? Absolutely fantastic. It's everything the Wii U should've been from the start and won't be some ****ty gimmick money waster for once. Unlike the Wii U, which I no longer have, I'll definitely be getting this Day 1.

looking forward to smash4 port with possibly new content. That melee hd stuff not pleases me though, unless if they add much more content, instead what they did with the Zeldas.

I like the idea of a wireless pro controller, but i hope that That isnt the final design of the pro controller. It's a bit too similar to an xbox controller.
I didn't think you were with the wii u.... you can literally carry it around.

"basically a wii u".
In the confines of your home. You cant play outside of your home and if you want to use your system while travelling you cant.

I like the idea of a wireless pro controller, but i hope that That isnt the final design of the pro controller. It's a bit too similar to an xbox controller.

In the confines of your home. You cant play outside of your home and if you want to use your system while travelling you cant.
It's also much more powerful and has tons of 3rd parties in on it. It's very versatile and lets you choose a way that you want to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see this as too much of a gimmick. It looks like a home console with wireless control usage, so back to basics. It's core is back to the roots.
On the go you can connect with others which is one of the DS or 3DS strong points, but you are bringing a more powerful system on the go.
I guess I see the beauty in the simplicity of the home console part of it with the rest as enhancements, not part of the core itself. But we all have different points of view. :)

This could be huge for Smash.

Think about it. They showed off enhanced ports of Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon, both with notable new features (Mario Kart with King Boo and the ability to hold two items, Splatoon with new weapons and Inkling customization). We've had rumors of a Smash 4 port for the new system, and if Mario Kart and Splatoon are making the jump, so will Smash, and this precedent means we're probably looking at new content!

But wait! This might also be a huge deal for the competitive side of things! Can we talk about the fact that they used an esports match to show off Splatoon? The fact that they took the competitive setting and all the hype associated with esports and deliberately used it at a key section of the trailer? What if this means they're going to get involved in esports now? What if they're about to go all in on competitive Smash?

And if you're wondering why they didn't show a Smash port here? Simple: They're saving it. They're waiting to make the announcement in the next Nintendo Direct, when they can go all out on the details.

Strap in, ladies and gentlemen. We may be about to speculate all over again.

Last edited:
This could be huge for Smash.

Think about it. They showed off enhanced ports of Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon, both with notable new features (Mario Kart with King Boo and the ability to hold two items, Splatoon with new weapons and Inkling customization). We've had rumors of a Smash 4 port for the new system, and if Mario Kart and Splatoon are making the jump, so will Smash, and this precedent means we're probably looking at new content!

But wait! This might also be a huge deal for the competitive side of things! Can we talk about the fact that they used an esports match to show off Splatoon? The fact that they took the competitive setting and all the hype associated with esports and deliberately used it at a key section of the trailer? What if this means they're going to get involved in esports now? What if they're about to go all in on competitive Smash?

And if you're wondering why they didn't show a Smash port here? Simple: They're saving it. They're waiting to make the announcement in the next Nintendo Direct, when they can do all out on the details.

Strap in, ladies and gentlemen. We may be about to speculate all over again.
Pretty much this. What excites me the most is that the Ice Climbers missed Smash 4 because of the useless 3DS version, which is no more. If we are getting a port of the Wii U version with updated roster (looking at how they are apparently enhancing Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon), I think it's safe to say we're getting new characters in Smash, especially since the Ice Climbers were pretty much complete.

As for a brand new Smash game, I think we'll have to wait a couple more years. I'm thinking 2019.

P.S: I'm sick of everyone asking for Melee HD. Get over it guys. It's never going to exist.

Last edited:
P.S: I'm sick of everyone asking for Melee HD. Get over it guys. It's never going to exist.
It is going to exist at some point, I'd say; there's nothing so far to indicate that Nintendo's not going to maybe begin porting stuff over from the Gamecube more often now that there's enough time passed. It's been 10+ years since the GameCube launched, there's no reason NOT to start remaking games from that system.

We've got Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD already, so there's nothing saying Nintendo won't do HD ports of other Gamecube titles. They know Smash sells, so any way they can get money from Smash is good, and I don't doubt they know about how big a Melee HD announcement could be for the Smash fanbase.

They'd definitely want to hold that card for some kind of major event.

It looks like it is going to be great, but I just really hope that it will be able to compete with the other consoles in both sales and in power. I also hope that games will still run and look just as well in the portable mode as it does in the console mode. I can imagine this would actually be pretty expensive to make, so I am worried the price tag on the Switch will be high compared to the other current gen consoles.

P.S. People are going to have to be really careful with carrying this around in public, because you can bet that there will be a lot of people trying to steal them from others, especially if it has a high price tag.

In my words, Nintendo have redeemed themselves. It looks incredible and I can't wait to try it out. Now, my question is what games are we gonna see next year? Hopefully Nintendo vs Capcom. Make it happen, Nintendo!!

And I don't know about Smash 5 for next year, that's seem too early. In fact, there's no telling if they gonna import SSB4 for Switch with additional content or I don't know. We're just gonna have see.

I totally forgot to talk about what Switch can imply for smash. I doubt they are going to release a new smash game. It's possible, but I really doubt it. However, Nintendo loves to do weird things, and because of all the rumors I've been listening to it makes Nintendo sound like they were desperate or something so they could have been squeezing out a smash once they felt the need to sweep the Wii U under the covers, after all Smash did sell pretty well (and was the main reason why I bought a Wii U in the first place initially).

I'm just expecting a port with a character or two. Ice Climbers would be nice, but I'm not sure if they'd do that because that would probably piss off Wii U owners since the only reason they couldn't have it is because 3DS can't have it. I'll be baffled if they don't include Inklings with how well that game did. I don't know any other franchises that could get in right now off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's another.

There's a couple veterans still left though. Wolf is an obvious choice, and I was actually rather baffled he didn't make it in Sm4sh in the first place. I would love for Snake to come back because he was a blast to play in Brawl, but Konami is in a rather bad light right now and stuff so I don't think it'll happen at all (but Konami is supporting the Switch at least though). Pichu and Young Link are easy clones that might come back. I mean we have a few other clones in the game anyways. Safe to say I kinda wished Young Link had a moveset that's more focused on Majora's Mask though, but even then we already have 2 links we don't really need a 3rd one, and I feel there are more interesting options from the Zelda series (besides Zelda has hyrule warriors for tons of fan pandering). I don't see Squirtle or Ivysaur making it back either outside of the fact they are veterans too. More likely to get a rep for Sun and Moon.

Inb4 Ridley because of the new Metroid being made. Seriously I haven't heard anything about that game in a long time.

Uh, ew? No. Strongly disagree. Gyro controls are one of the many reasons I got rid of Splatoon. Normal aiming gameplay that's actually competently programmed to work properly, please. Gyro sucks.

Now then, this thing? Absolutely fantastic. It's everything the Wii U should've been from the start and won't be some ****ty gimmick money waster for once. Unlike the Wii U, which I no longer have, I'll definitely be getting this Day 1.
First of all you can turn off the gyro if you don't want it on. I don't know of any game that uses gyros where you can't turn it off.

Secondly are you sure you spent enough time trying to learn how to use the gyros? Some people take longer than others to get used to it. Oh well, at least everyone in my town that has tried the gyro controls loves them a bunch. Too bad you couldn't get to enjoy the precision aiming that gyros have to offer.

Neat concept. Not getting it at launch unless a port for Smash and Starfox Zero are confirmed. If not then I'm holding off until a game comes out that interests me that's exclusive to the Switch. Got my Wii U at launch and it sat collecting dust for 2 years save for WWHD and Pikmin 3. Started using it regularly once Smash came out.

Speaking of Smash, I hope we get a Sm4sh port with Wolf. As for the whole Melee HD idea, isn't there the issue of analog vs digitial triggers? Melee made use of the analog triggers by having light and heavy shielding. Wii U pad, Wii U Classic and both forms of the Wii Classic controller have digital triggers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom