• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Releases More Information On Splatoon

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Nintendo said:
The single-player mode in Splatoon lets players use the game’s mechanics to explore the underground base of the game’s army of octopuslike antagonists, the Octarians, in original stages that test their ability to shoot, jump and splatter ink.
There, fixed that for you, Nintendo.

OCTOPI IS NOT A WORRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDD!!!!!!

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
So is "octopodes," but it sounds dumb as hell, so we don't use it. The most common, widespread, and accepted plural of octopus in the English language is "octopuses," and so I suggest using it. It is the plural with the most established use in English - both historically and today.

The problem with the above sentence from Nintendo, is that using the plural of octopus in that context is incorrect - no matter which plural is used. It's like saying "cats-like," or "apples-like, or "earths-like." It just wrong. So "octopus-like" is really the only correct term.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Isn't this supposed to be SMASHboards?
You must've missed it when we got news on Nintendo games other than Smash...several times...how'd you do that?

Alright on a serious note this really isn't the first time we got news on other Nintendo titles and certainly isn't the first time we got news on Splatoon.

B1gBandJazZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
jp4464
3DS FC
0903-3227-6508
Splatoon is the game I'm probably most hyped for this coming May.

By the way, I hear a lot of people saying "SplatoonBoards," but there actually is a forum set up for Splatoon.

It's called "SquidBoards," created by Dakota (TheRapture) Lasky.

If you're interested in the game, feel free to check it out at http://squidboards.freeforums.net/
We're really excited to get a community going for it!

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
Still no news on local multiplayer, sadly. Still, I plan on putting whatever time I've pumped into Smash into Splatoon and then some. This game looks hella hype, and the Inklings are the most adorable things to come from Nintendo.

Don't be surprised to see my avatar change to reflect Splatoon's release.
True, I've been wondering about local multiplayer as well. I thought there was an article on it explaining local multiplayer having buttons used to warp to an ally since there will be players w/o the gamepad that uses the touch screen for it. I'll have to look for it.

M@v

Subarashii!
The radio silence on local multiplayer scares me a bit, but otherwise I'm mega hyped for this. Played it at apex and its looking/playing great so far!

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Just pre-ordered Splatoon. I've never been this hyped for a new IP!!

Last edited:

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
Still no news on local multiplayer, sadly. Still, I plan on putting whatever time I've pumped into Smash into Splatoon and then some. This game looks hella hype, and the Inklings are the most adorable things to come from Nintendo.

Don't be surprised to see my avatar change to reflect Splatoon's release.
Don't have any hopes... this isn't Xbox offering a LAN option in all games. =(

5-12 players Mario Kart 8 LAN... a wish at least =|

Hitzel

Smash Ace
It wouldn't make a difference. The game clearly isn't so technically demanding that we need the lowest amount of lag possible. Shooters have thrived and revolutionized the genre using wireless controllers for over a decade.
Don't forget that it's been stated many times that using the gyroscope in the gamepad for aiming gives players a huge competitive advantage over those using normal controllers.

That's ignoring the fact that a Gamecube controller is absolutely one of the worst controllers to play a shooter with.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Don't forget that it's been stated many times that using the gyroscope in the gamepad for aiming gives players a huge competitive advantage over those using normal controllers.
I don't disagree. Vast majority of people are not at all accustomed to motion controls in terms of shooters so they dismiss it as bad but i can see why it would work out competitively.

Top Bottom