• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Nintendo Of America 2014 Nintendo Qualifier Feedback Thread

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Nintendo representatives have been known to lurk the depths of Smashboards - please provide any feedback relating to the Nintendo Qualifier, how it ran, what your experience was, etc. Who knows, maybe someone (cough, Nintendo, cough) will read it?

Sparkchu

Smash Apprentice
These type of events are in dire need of organization. Look at the rules:
http://smashbros.nintendo.com/rules/

Entrants may begin lining up for the Local Tournaments no earlier than 9:00am local time (or such later time as the applicable mall or shopping center opens).
9AM!
Not 5am like the ones who may had decided to camped out. This causes more people to panic and lineup, eventually making it impossible for the rest of us who decided to arrive at least an hour to await said lineup. The reps from both Nintendo and Gamestop in Anaheim should have done a better job handling this matter. Since they can't simply kick people out, they could have issued raffles to make it even. They did do raffles, but it was only for the last 3 spots.

If I were to show up at, or very close to, 9 and see the same length of the line, then I just cut my losses and go home.

I complained about it, and they said they did all they could, to which I say is unacceptable. And I'm sure the people who wanted to participate in other Gamestops can agree if this happened to them.

Last edited:

L33TF0X

Smash Rookie
NNID
L33TF0X
3DS FC
0018-0779-6941
Did you have to apply to get into the american tournament? because the British one requires you to register on a specific website.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24

9AM!
Not 5am like the ones who may had decided to camped out. This causes more people to panic and lineup, eventually making it impossible for the rest of us who decided to arrive at least an hour to await said lineup. The reps from both Nintendo and Gamestop in Anaheim should have done a better job handling this matter. Since they can't simply kick people out, they could have issued raffles to make it even. They did do raffles, but it was only for the last 3 spots.

If I were to show up at, or very close to, 9 and see the same length of the line, then I just cut my losses and go home.

I complained about it, and they said they did all they could, to which I say is unacceptable. And I'm sure the people who wanted to participate in other Gamestops can agree if this happened to them.
This was also one of my gripes when I went to the Ellicott City, MD Gamestop. I got there at 8:55 and there were already about 100 people in line (not a complete estimate, as somebody else had already counted 100+ people, 101? I just can't remember the *exact* number is all). I scheduled my morning around this rule, and I wasn't going to stress out about camping out overnight to get in, but lo and behold this rule wasn't enforced like I somewhat expected.

Another thing was the fact that tournament participants had to just sit on the floor to play the game. I thought it might be a simple courtesy to have a table and some chairs set up, or at least some chairs, for the actual participants who were competing.

Chromepenguin

Smash Rookie
Terrible terrible TERRIBLE organization in the Plano gamestop when it came to "first come first serve". We set up a line, and at 9 my friend and I were around 45th and 46th. By the time 10:30 or so rolled around (they took forever to start here) and they actually handed out passes to play, I was 64th because so many idiots would just show up and sneak themselves in or find and make *friends* to get in. We called out a bunch of people who cut (and not just a few of us so it wouldn't look like some Salem witch trials call out, a large amount of people would call them out) and a couple guys even admitted they did it and didn't care because "everyone else was doing it". Regardless of how many people were called out and clearly guilty of being douchebags (most just denied like no other), there was absolutely nothing done about it. It made me feel so bad for the nearly 20 people behind me who honestly had waited longer and lost their spot because people suck. AHHHHHHH FAITH IN HUMANITY PLUMMETED

infomon

Smash Scientist
I was at the Gamestop in NYC. I knew the 9am start time was garbage, so I arrived at 7:30. I was 17th in line.

When I was entered in for the tourney, I was 46th in line. How did that happen? A million people budding in front. Half of the people who entered the tournament were people who budded in line, taking someone else's rightful spot.

That's literally stealing fun from children.

Of course I blame the people who opportunistically squeezed themselves into the line. But the shoddy organization effort deserves some of the blame. All they had to do was write peoples' names down at 9am (there were already ~100 at that point, but there was not as much budding in line happening yet). Would have let a lot of people go home earlier, and would have reduced the amount that people who were there first would have their spot budded out from under them.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
There needs to be a "no obnoxious kids who scream 'meme' taunts" rule. Anyone at the Maryland qualifier can agree with this, I think.

BlkSheep642

Smash Apprentice
I was at the Gamestop NYC one with Infzy and it was probably the worst thing I've ever experienced. Standing from 7:30 to about 1-2 PM to finally get to play, the first 4 hours being in the pouring rain...

Pee-Gcuatro20

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
3DS FC
3540-1271-4845
here CO there wasnt even a tournament i showed up so early and when i entered the gamestop they said "sorry man there isnt a tounament here since we dont have the EQUIPMENT"
WTF i mean you saw me standing there for hours and you couldnt tell me this before i wated two hours standing in line? not only that but why would nintendo post a adress where they arent even properly prepared for such an event? i was soooooo hyped for this since it WAS going to be the first tournament i would participate in. im mad sad and dissapointed at both nintendo and gamestop. lack of preperation on both their parts. now that i think about it will this not ruin the rest of the tournament since now they have less players to participate in ny?
absolutely unacceptable

LittleKirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0344-9780-8721
There needs to be a "no obnoxious kids who scream 'meme' taunts" rule. Anyone at the Maryland qualifier can agree with this, I think.
"IM REALLY FEELING IT"
sorry but I can't help myself. It was good fun, I didn't see anyone getting mad at this.

As for the line, I'm not sure they even expected that rule to be followed. The Nintendo Rep Arrived at 9:00 and seemed perfectly fine when she saw over 100 people in line already.

The big problem is though how they matched up people by how they were in line. I had to be pitted against my brother the first round. Then some bigshot asked if he could get a special excuse and be on the other side of the board.
I should of traded places with someone
Because of this people could have brought 3 other friends with them and gotten to the next round no problem.

infomon

Smash Scientist
here CO there wasnt even a tournament i showed up so early and when i entered the gamestop they said "sorry man there isnt a tounament here since we dont have the EQUIPMENT"
WTF i mean you saw me standing there for hours and you couldnt tell me this before i wated two hours standing in line? not only that but why would nintendo post a adress where they arent even properly prepared for such an event? i was soooooo hyped for this since it WAS going to be the first tournament i would participate in. im mad sad and dissapointed at both nintendo and gamestop. lack of preperation on both their parts. now that i think about it will this not ruin the rest of the tournament since now they have less players to participate in ny?
absolutely unacceptable
Huh?

Were you at this exact GameStop:
GameStop
c/o Barnes & Noble
960 S. Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80246
Because that's the one in Nintendo's official rules:

This store must have run the tourney, because the winners of these local tourneys are being flown out to NYC for the final tourney. I'm afraid you should have looked up the correct location in advance :urg:

2THICK

Smash Rookie
Sparkchu, I feel u. They said 9am and me and a girl from the event is trying to file a report to Nintendo about it. We have evidence on camera and we are trying to get people to help us as well for this. Plus another mistake they did at the event was the no pre registration rule which they gave bracelets to everyone who was there early at the event which they can't do that.

Pee-Gcuatro20

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
3DS FC
3540-1271-4845
Huh?

Were you at this exact GameStop:
GameStop
c/o Barnes & Noble
960 S. Colorado Blvd.
Denver, CO 80246
Because that's the one in Nintendo's official rules:

This store must have run the tourney, because the winners of these local tourneys are being flown out to NYC for the final tourney. I'm afraid you should have looked up the correct location in advance :urg:
That's the exact gamestop i went to i told them this is the one nintendo posted and they told me." Yeah but we cant ,we don't know of any gamestop in the area who is"
Don't tell me they just told me that to mess with me

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
That's the exact gamestop i went to i told them this is the one nintendo posted and they told me." Yeah but we cant ,we don't know of any gamestop in the area who is"
Don't tell me they just told me that to mess with me
Oh, well maybe your Gamestop was legitimately b0rked then. I wonder how Nintendo's going to solve that before next week's tourney lol.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman

9AM!

100% agree with this. Being a good noodle and following a rule they specifically told me to follow and they don't enforce it so I couldn't enter the tourney. Arrive at 9:00 am and disqualify people in line before 9:00 or move those people to the back of the line or something, Nintendo reps, please.

If you didn't have that rule Nintendo it would have been fine, fair game. But you told us not to arrive before then. Please Nintendo, you can keep the silly item ffas just enforce the rules you lay down.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything just giving constructive criticism.

Last edited:

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Nintendo reps should have shown up at 9am and just went to the back of the line to begin registration (effectively flipping the line around).

Top Bottom