• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo president looking into animation beyond the Super Mario Movie

mario_animated_question_mark.jpg

The Super Mario movie, currently in development at Illumination (Known for Despicable Me and Secret Life of Pets), is slated for 2022. In a recent feature from Fast Company, Shuntaro Furukawa, the president of Nintendo, stated that the company was looking into creating animation content for other series.

"Animation, in general, is something that we are looking into, and not just this franchise,"

While the quote doesn't hint at anything, he does mention that the company is avoiding cutting into game development. In a corporate meeting last year, Nintendo said that they have "already embarked on multiple other visual content projects" which still leaves little to no clue.

Author's Note: Man, I hope that allegedly cancelled Star Fox stop motion animation project gets revived. Guess we'll see. Thoughts? Let us know below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

If they do another animated F-Zero foray, make it canon to the X/GX timeline. GP Legends was for all intents and purposes an alternate universe

Little Mac would make for a perfect movie/show, but I'm not sure if I'd rather have it animated or live action.

A Star Fox movie would be very cool. Also, imagine a Smash Bros. movie.

Last edited:
I hope we get Kirby and Pikmin movies! Maybe an EarthBound/Mother movie, too...

Animated series would also be cool!

I've had an idea for a Kirby Super Star movie; not fully thought-out, but part of the plot includes Marx posing as Kirby's friend throughout the movie (Marx doesn't stay with him on his adventures, though), giving a big hint to the audience as to his true nature near the end, and finally revealing his true motives to Kirby.

Last edited:
It's a safe choice since a mediocre Mario movie will do decently enough. They're hoping Mario can sail by on popularity to pick up any slack, otherwise they would've chosen other awesome Nintendo Worlds to delve into. Such as Legend Of Zelda, Metroid, or even Kirby. After all, using Kirby is an easy way to get tons of cute stuff followed by horrifying abominations all into 1 movie/world without changing a thing. It could go in many directions and be easy to write regardless of what trope they wanted to start off with (alien, other dimension's visitor, shenanigans in his own dimension, weird scifi experiment, ancient/alien DNA brought back to life, game character brought into real life, etc).

So Kirby could have an aesthetic for everyone, as well as new sleep paralysis demons for everyone. Poyo~! :secretkpop:

It's a safe choice since a mediocre Mario movie will do decently enough. They're hoping Mario can sail by on popularity to pick up any slack, otherwise they would've chosen other awesome Nintendo Worlds to delve into. Such as Legend Of Zelda, Metroid, or even Kirby. After all, using Kirby is an easy way to get tons of cute stuff followed by horrifying abominations all into 1 movie/world without changing a thing. It could go in many directions and be easy to write regardless of what trope they wanted to start off with (alien, other dimension's visitor, shenanigans in his own dimension, weird scifi experiment, ancient/alien DNA brought back to life, game character brought into real life, etc).

So Kirby could have an aesthetic for everyone, as well as new sleep paralysis demons for everyone. Poyo~! :secretkpop:
But there is a slight problem with that...is Mario going to talk or not. Most people know what Sonic sounds like they are use to Sonic talking in full sentences. Mario on the other hand not many people are use to Mario talking in full sentences so it could really make or break the film.

Top Bottom