• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Officially Sponsors Apex 2015!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The speculation is over, Apex has announced that Apex 2015 will be sponsored by Nintendo! This partnership represents a first for Nintendo with a grassroots tournament and follows earlier licensing permissions given to Major League Gaming and EVO 2014 during the "Summer of Smash". Current details concerning the deal are few, though Nintendo now joins SmashBoards as a partner in the biggest Smash event of the year and, indeed, in history. As of this morning, more than 1,200 unique Smashers have registered and paid their venue fee to attend Apex 2015.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
More information will be provided in an update within this article as it becomes available. Get excited everyone!

Current Attendance Numbers
Melee 1v1 Total: 725
Brawl 1v1 Total: 96
Smash 4 1v1 Total: 476
Smash 64 1v1 Total: 129
Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire VGC total: 51
Ultra Street Fighter IV 1v1 Total: 50
Guilty Gear Xrd 1v1 Total: 27
Killer Instinct 1v1 Total: 10
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 1v1 Total: 20

SmashCapps is HYPED! Follow him on Twitter and share in the hype!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You guys, this is further proof that Nintendo represents what (Sega) Genesin't. :smirk:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
That's my image for the announcement ^_^; I'm super excited for what this partnership has in store for the community :)

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
No wonder why P:M isn't a thing, now.

Nintendo doesn't endorse it.

On one hand, we have Nintendo directly recognizing the competitive community more.

On the other, no P:M.

I AM STILL SOMEWHAT BRIMMING WITH RAGE

But seriously thank u based Regginator

Last edited:

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
THIS IS HYPE

Nintendo kinda disappointed me when they said they won't distribute games and consoles in Brazil anymore, but this cheers me up a little bit.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Sakurai said:
Personally, I feel that if you want to play a fighting game seriously, there are other competitive fighting games that are more suited to that, and people like that could have fun playing those. If you play Smash Brothers seriously as a competitive game, the game itself has no future.
Hey Sakurai, if Smash isn't fit to be a fighting game played seriously, then why is your employer investing thousands into endorsing it in the biggest fighting game competition of the year?

Mashpotato Samurai is out of the loop.

KneeIsLoveKneeIsLife

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
How can you be hype over this?

I swear the people hype about this are the same kind of people that enjoy smash 4. It's sad. Literally took out the second hypest thing of the whole event just so Nintendo could sponsor it. Which brings exactly nothing, because time and time again they embrace casuals more than the competitive play. They just saw a relatively big community in you which they can make money off.

****s sake are you people stupid.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312

I swear the people hype about this are the same kind of people that enjoy smash 4. It's sad. Literally took out the second hypest thing of the whole event just so Nintendo could sponsor it. Which brings exactly nothing, because time and time again they embrace casuals more than the competitive play. They just saw a relatively big community in you which they can make money off.

Just like how at Evo they couldn't simply wish Melee players good luck without having Reggie give that Smash 4 a shout out in that little clip of his.

We all know they're not doing it for our support, but for their own promotion and gain. I still don't feel cool with this sudden "support" from Nintendo and I probably never will.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo

Get over yourself you tool.

D

Deleted member

While I am happy about this, what does this mean for the future of Project M, the only game I can play at my fullest capacity!? ._.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader

ZLF Aurora

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5734-1939
Okay, that's cool and neat. Now what's Nintendo actually contribute to this "sponsorship"?

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Hey Sakurai, if Smash isn't fit to be a fighting game played seriously, then why is your employer investing thousands into endorsing it in the biggest fighting game competition of the year?

He also stated that people should play the way they want to play despite his opinions and that line was translated wrong. He said if he directed a Smash game only for the hardcore competitive community it would have no future

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Look at all the people signed up for smash 4. They can't all be diddy kong.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
While I am happy about this, what does this mean for the future of Project M, the only game I can play at my fullest capacity!? ._.
Well you could still play it and other local tourneys will most likely play it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
THIS IS HYPE

Nintendo kinda disappointed me when they said they won't distribute games and consoles in Brazil anymore, but this cheers me up a little bit.
Im sorry what is this?

I'm Brazilian, but I live in Panama now...but...

is this like, a THING?

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne

It was a misquote sakurai said that you can't tailor a game just for the competittive players, they are taking the league of legends approach, try to make it accessible for all players and support the best players as well

Last edited:

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
Well let's all hope somehow Smash 4 gets some tweaks and characters get buffed and nerfed because how what gets seen.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Look at all the people signed up for smash 4. They can't all be diddy kong.
There will be a lot of Diddy Kongs just like there is a lot of Fox and Shiek in Melee and Metaknight in Brawl. The Diddy Kongs aren't going to make it that far and even the top players using them in recent tournaments have been losing to people using "low tier" characters like Charizard.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
They are legally not allowed to and they could get into legal trouble with Konami and Sega if they did
Huh... I actually never thought of Konami and Sega. That makes more sense.
PM has to get recognized in its own tournaments I guess

Top Bottom