• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo National Open Tournament, Today at 6PM ET!

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Nintendo is hosting a tournament of champions, dubbed the National Open Tournament, today at the Nintendo World store in New York City. NOA big-wig Bill Trinen will be joined by community vets Wynton "progducto" Smith and Kris "Toph" Aldenderfer as they commentate matches between the sixteen regional winners of last week's official Gamestop tournaments.

These sixteen champions all waited in line to be one of the first 75 people entered into their local Gamestop's tournament. Each winner received a 3DS XL, $250 Visa card, and an all-expense paid trip to New York this weekend to compete! The winner will receive a trophy and commemorative champion's robe, not unlike the robes from the E3 Invitational.

Tune in here at 6 PM ET to watch!

Who do you want to win? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit is pulling for his regional champ, Darc! Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
All bets on muscleman

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know any of these people? Expected at least one well-known-ish Smasher but alas.

D

Deleted member

Has anyone seen them play? I really hope they're actual decent players and not some for glory little mac roll-for-days-only-use-dash-attack players.

Last edited by a moderator:

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Does anyone know any of these people? Expected at least one well-known-ish Smasher but alas.

I think I met Genesis during the regional tourney in Orlando. He is a pretty scary Yoshi player so I will root for him.

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Tough, 4 stock, but only 6 minutes. Won't that mean most of those matches will end up in sudden Death?

DatSmasher

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0903-2784-5063
Not familiar with the players. Anybody know their viability.
Dunno any of them either. They're probably pretty dedicated since they waited in line to be in the first 75 players to sign up for their GameStop tournament. And to win out of all these dedicated players, they know what they're doing.

Then again, this rule kinda sucks. It would've been cool to see Smashers we know from other games, but most of them probably didnt have time to sign up in time.

Tough, 4 stock, but only 6 minutes. Won't that mean most of those matches will end up in sudden Death?
That's horrible. They should've done at least 8 minutes.
Tough I guess it's a big step from the Wii U invitational. FFA items on and Finals 1v1

Last edited:

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
(...)It would've been cool to see Smashers we know from other games, but most of them probably didnt have time to sign up in time.(...)
Most of them were participating at the Big House 4 tournament during the selection anyway.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
DUCK HUNT DOG CONFIRMED TO BE UNLOCKED!!!!!!

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
NONE of these people are probably talented at the game (probably). The qualifiers were Itemfests, probably free-for-all, and the National will be the same.
Great job Nintendo, on making Smash Bros. look like a complete joke to the FGC.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Does anyone else think that Bill is actually a really good commentator?

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
HOLD UP! This is at Nintendo World?! I could've went there!! I live so close to it!!

...Dang. It's just a few train stops away here in NYC...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I get that the lot of these aren't particularly well (especially by people that don't actually follow Smash), but that's hardly a reason to write them off as no-talent nobodies. Ignorance isn't bad, but willingly being an ass about it is.

Anyway rooting DaBunz, falln and darc. Good luck to all of you, nonetheless.

Strofirko

Smash Master
NONE of these people are probably talented at the game (probably). The qualifiers were Itemfests, probably free-for-all, and the National will be the same.
Are you even watching the live to come to this conclusion?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Watched some of it. REALLY hoped Ganondorf would win, but he got eliminated in the 1st match against NES Open Mario. Missing the Final Smash and getting hit by both Mario's FAIR and Final Smash basically killed him IMHO (as well as not capitalizing on certain openings).

There's always next time I guess....

D

Deleted member

leessss go jumpman

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Doesn't make sense, Why should he watch the stream if others don't have the real thing?
Yeah, figured. What I said really didn't make sense lol, I mixed up the words a bit.

I was trying to say something along the lines of, "Others are probably watching the stream because they don't have the real thing, unlike you." Or something like that.

beestmode

Smash Cadet
Dang I wanted to go take part in the tournament as well but couldn't get the day off work...but congratz to all the winners and hope everyone does their best at the finals. :)

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
The champion is...

Disclaimer:
DON'T EVEN THINK OF SWITCHING TO HIS MAIN : :rosalina:
THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TIERS IN THIS GAME

Last edited:

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
While I agree the regionals were like that from what I heard, the real talent was definitely shown tonight at the National Open and the Rosalina player earned that win with skill.

Top Bottom