• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Listens – No Item Tournament Announced!

noitem.jpg

What’s that? Is that a pig I see flying in the clouds? A snowball is thriving in hell? That must mean...Nintendo has finally done it! During the supreme hype-fest known as EVO, Nintendo decided to casually drop this bomb on the competitive Smash community - an official Nintendo sponsored Super Smash Brothers Ultimate online tournament with a good ruleset!!!

(Note: North American players only at this time)

Ruleset:

1v1
3 Stock
7 Mins
No Items
No Hazards
Best of 3

Stage list:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi’s Island
Pokemon Stadium
Castle Siege
Smashville​

The top four will represent North America in a global competition at Nintendo Live in Kyoto, Japan on October 13th and 14th.

Head here to register, and for a handy guide on what to do on tournament day head over here.

Registration runs from now until tournament day on August 17th. Will you be participating? Are you surprised Nintendo has finally adopted the competitive ruleset? What do you think of the stagelist? Frigate Orpheon hype? Let us know in the comments.

Author’s Note: I’m shocked, frankly, that Nintendo finally listened to the fans but could I have seen this coming!?

Last edited:
Jonathan “Qualk” Martin

Comments

Seems pretty solid, but being a single elimination tournament is questionable (likely to speed things up). I've never seen or heard of Frigate Orpheon being in any stage list but this one, but I guess it's not too intrusive.

Last edited:
If there's anything I'd change about the competitive ruleset it would certainly be the stage list. I think there's tons of stages that would be great for competitive play but people don't like it cause it has a ramp or something lol.

Interesting, glad they are offering this more.

I don’t mind item play like others do but this is a good step for the other direction.

Nintendo acknowledging/using a competitively viable ruleset? Wack. The Stagelist is even pretty solid, even if some people have reservations about Frigate Orpheon. It's probably not the case, but I can't help but wonder if Heeew's recent video about Nintendo's online tournaments inspired this, as well as EVO, the more likely influence?

Stages are set to random, and it seems, according to the rules, that tied stocks will be settled by sudden death. Still, this is a massive step in the right direction.

It's nice to see Castle Siege and Frigate Orpheon getting some love. Opinions are always mixed on those, but honestly I find them really fun to play on in 1v1s.

Not as happy about stages being set to random, but w/e. It doesn't really seem like a huge deal as a slightly different way to play the game.

Stages are set to random, and it seems, according to the rules, that tied stocks will be settled by sudden death. Still, this is a massive step in the right direction.
I think the reason way tied stocks are settled with sudden death is because we don’t have any other in-game ways of handling it.
It's nice to see Castle Siege and Frigate Orpheon getting some love. Opinions are always mixed on those, but honestly I find them really fun to play on in 1v1s.

Not as happy about stages being set to random, but w/e. It doesn't really seem like a huge deal as a slightly different way to play the game.
The stages are set to random because of the similar in-game problems. They haven’t coded a proper system where only the selected/approved stages are available and allow the winners to ban any stages from the loser’s selection.

I think the reason way tied stocks are settled with sudden death is because we don’t have any other in-game ways of handling it.

The stages are set to random because of the similar in-game problems. They haven’t coded a proper system where only the selected/approved stages are available and allow the winners to ban any stages from the loser’s selection.
I'm sure. Hopefully this kind of stuff makes them forward the ideas to Nintendo that we need a built in way to do these things more easily.

I'm sure. Hopefully this kind of stuff makes them forward the ideas to Nintendo that we need a built in way to do these things more easily.
They have to when Gamefreak is outright removing Pokémon and other mechanics to stabilize their games for competitive play.

They have to when Gamefreak is outright removing Pokémon and other mechanics to stabilize their games for competitive play.
Where did they say anything about doing it to stabilize the games for competitive play? Pretty sure it had nothing to do with that at all. It was about the 3D modelling, according to them.

Where did they say anything about doing it to stabilize the games for competitive play? Pretty sure it had nothing to do with that at all. It was about the 3D modelling, according to them.
Don't wanna get off topic, but might as well clarify. Among "making the models/animations more lively", one of the excuses given for cutting old Pokemon was for "competitive balance". Look up any of the plethora of articles on the news of no National Dex, it'll likely have that in there.

It was more than 3D modeling (which wasn’t even the main issue). The problem came from the imbalance that having every Pokémon was in one region. The issue involved with that were growing by each gen and it notably had a affect on the competitive scene.

What’s that? Is that a pig I see flying in the clouds? A snowball is thriving in hell? That must mean...Nintendo has finally done it! During the supreme hype-fest known as EVO, Nintendo decided to casually drop this bomb on the competitive Smash community - an official Nintendo sponsored Super Smash Brothers Ultimate online tournament with a good ruleset!!!

(Note: North American players only at this time)

Ruleset:

1v1
3 Stock
7 Mins
No Items
No Hazards
Best of 3

Stage list:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi’s Island
Pokemon Stadium
Castle Siege
Smashville​

The top four will represent North America in a global competition at Nintendo Live in Kyoto, Japan on October 13th and 14th.

Head here to register, and for a handy guide on what to do on tournament day head over here.

Registration runs from now until tournament day on August 17th. Will you be participating? Are you surprised Nintendo has finally adopted the competitive ruleset? What do you think of the stagelist? Frigate Orpheon hype? Let us know in the comments.

Author’s Note: I’m shocked, frankly, that Nintendo finally listened to the fans but could I have seen this coming!?
NANIIIIII

Top Bottom