• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo is holding a Smash 5 invitational at E3!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
https://kotaku.com/nintendo-will-hold-smash-bros-switch-tournament-in-jun-1823981774

I feel like this means we'll get some more info, possibly a Smash Direct, before E3. I doubt they'll unveil the game with the tournament.
They’re doing the same thing they did with the Nintendo World Championships and the last Smash Invitational. The invitational will take place after the E3 Nintendo Direct. Meaning a lot of the news from the Direct will be shown off in the tournament.

I’m not saying the idea of them releasing news before E3 is impossible but I don’t think this announcement points to it having more content revealed prior to E3 either.

Morbi

Scavenger
They’re doing the same thing they did with the Nintendo World Championships and the last Smash Invitational. The invitational will take place after the E3 Nintendo Direct. Meaning a lot of the news from the Direct will be shown off in the tournament.

I’m not saying the idea of them releasing news before E3 is impossible but I don’t think this announcement points to it having more content revealed prior to E3 either.
To be fair, to get people to actually watch the tournament, it might be a good idea to at least show off at least the veterans and let people even know this is a new game, as there is still quite a bit of confusion. It would be such short notice to have the e3 announcement and then a tournament. Especially because this e3 is going to be huge with or without Nintendo. Last year was an "off" year, and that usually means the following year is huge. With Microsoft hinting at massive changes to their formula, Betheseda mounting up early and most of Sony's stuff that they have been showing for 2 years coming out this year, Beyond Good and Evil 2 game-play and Kingdom Hearts 3 finally moving with the possible Avengers announcement on the Square side; you have to imagine it is going to be crazy. Beyond that, the potential for leaks is high as they will invite players to play the game.

I would definitely say that prior to this announcement, I had the chance of us seeing it before e3 at about a 25% and now I would crank that up to 100%. That might just be me, though.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
On one hand, I'd be somewhat surprised if we don't get at least a little more information for Smash Switch before E3.

At the same time, they might be wanting to keep it all back just to have a huge blowout.

*sigh*
Hoping we at least see the final name, Nintendo puts the "It's a port! No, it's a new game!" arguments to rest and show some veterans.

Morbi

Scavenger
On one hand, I'd be somewhat surprised if we don't get at least a little more information for Smash Switch before E3.

At the same time, they might be wanting to keep it all back just to have a huge blowout.

*sigh*
Hoping we at least see the final name, Nintendo puts the "It's a port! No, it's a new game!" arguments to rest and show some veterans.
In a way, that could be the title of the game: "Smash It's a Port! No, it's a New Game! for Switch."

Hopefully this means they'll reveal at least one new character, or three like the last one.
And the one before that. I feel as though it is safe to assume we are getting three.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hopefully this means they'll reveal at least one new character, or three like the last one.
Unless the amount of newcomers are significantly less than in Brawl and Smash 4 I think there's a decent chance we'll get more than three newcomers revealed throughout the entirety of E3 (Direct, Invitational, Treehouse), otherwise they'll have to rush character reveals for both veterans and newcomers quite a bit as there'll be at most half a year between the E3 reveal and release. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a ton of veterans revealed at E3 either, especially as a lot of them will have to be available for the tournament.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
So any indication on what players Nintendo might invite? How many total? Who will commentate it? This is what I'm most interested in, but no one seems to be speculating on it.

I watched the last Invitational live in stream, and had a real blast. I hope that this one will be at least as good as that one.

Seems like last time, we had 16 contestants. Sounds like a good number for a bracket. If they match that this time, then including returning veterans and Inklings, we will have to have at least 16 characters officially revealed by then. Last time, the contestants had their pick from either 17 or 18 characters, with one or two going unused.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The tournaments are on the 11th (Monday) and the 12th (Tuesday). Likely Smash will be the second one after the Direct. I dont expect they'll show off more before E3. Sounds like that's going to be their blow-out.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Man I really hope they bring the Smash demo to Best Buy again for a chance to get in that tournament.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
can't wait to get some intel from dudes playing the demo on what tech is in the game.

Just imagine being in a line at some Best Buy, some kids behind you complaining about their turn while you try to get cell phone footage of dash dancing and confirming stuff you heard from other testers.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Do we know when the direct will be?
I'd assume they would want to show the smash trailer well before the general E3 attendant can play the inevitable floor demo.
Being a direct they can probably broadcast on Monday (11th)

The direct will show what's on the floor demo and have between 2 and 4 newcomers.

And probably during the invitational do a solo reveal trailer.

If tree house gets a reveal is probably going to be a lesser hype material like items and stages.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Do we know when the direct will be?
I'd assume they would want to show the smash trailer well before the general E3 attendant can play the inevitable floor demo.
Being a direct they can probably broadcast on Monday (11th)

The direct will show what's on the floor demo and have between 2 and 4 newcomers.

And probably during the invitational do a solo reveal trailer.

If tree house gets a reveal is probably going to be a lesser hype material like items and stages.
Historically, Nintendo’s E3 directs have been basically the last presentation of the show.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Historically, Nintendo’s E3 directs have been basically the last presentation of the show.
True. But with the invitational will be a playable build.
The show floor will presumably have a playable build.
Why wait until people have had hands on with the Game for any amoun only to then show the trailer.

Also note I am under the assumption we won't get any information on smash until e3. I'll gladly be wrong on this tho.

D

Deleted member

Heard this, in the morning really great and looking forward to it. Going to be really good and should be fun.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
It is going to be similar in structure to the previous Smash invitational at E3 in 2014.
I hope this is more exciting that the last one.
In the words of the Nintendo World Championships announcer:
"May the ultimate Nintendo fan reign supreme!"

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
So any indication on what players Nintendo might invite? How many total? Who will commentate it? This is what I'm most interested in, but no one seems to be speculating on it.
I feel like ZeRo (Won last invitational, most well known Smash 4 player), Nairo (Most active Smash 4 streamer, with a huge community), Abadango (International representation, very popular Japanese player), MKLeo (International representation, very popular Mexican player) and Hungrybox (Last invitational runner-up, plays Melee and Smash 4) are shoo-ins. As well as D1 and VikkiKitty for commentary (Both have worked with Nintendo multiple times).

Edit: Oh yeah, I think SuperGirlKels might be a shoo-in too. Female and international representation.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I feel like ZeRo (Won last invitational, most well known Smash 4 player), Nairo (Most active Smash 4 streamer, with a huge community), Abadango (International representation, very popular Japanese player), MKLeo (International representation, very popular Mexican player) and Hungrybox (Last invitational runner-up, plays Melee and Smash 4) are shoo-ins. As well as D1 and VikkiKitty for commentary (Both have worked with Nintendo multiple times).

Edit: Oh yeah, I think SuperGirlKels might be a shoo-in too. Female and international representation.
No Mew2King?

Morbi

Scavenger
I would genuinely love to see Etika. Nintendo wants to give the illusion of diversity, but we all know it is going to be the same type of people invited as last time.

Morbi

Scavenger
What does that even mean?
It means that Nintendo would love to invite women and other PC culture groups for the sake of it, not because they merit invitation, yet they stop short of inviting someone who actually represents a different audience than literally everyone else they will offer. Rolex's girlfriend for instance. Lmfao. They did not want to even list that she was a Project M player FFS.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
can't wait to get some intel from dudes playing the demo on what tech is in the game.

Just imagine being in a line at some Best Buy, some kids behind you complaining about their turn while you try to get cell phone footage of dash dancing and confirming stuff you heard from other testers.
Unfortunately, it didn't work quite like that last time. Nintendo employees had the 3DS version chained to their bodies (not joking) and let people in line test out Smash Run. Once you got up to the main Wii U setup, you got to play one (maybe two) 4-player match with items on. Trying to pay attention to anything going on at all was really difficult.

I played Zelda in the Best Buy demo just because she was an unknown factor. I tried to pay attention to differences between the demo and Brawl, but the demo build wasn't balanced the same as the full game. In the demo, Zelda's uair was really powerful with a big hitbox. Obviously that didn't carry over.

It didn't help that you had to get used to a different control scheme on 3DS, either.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
hmm one thing is bothering me. They say "June 11-12" as the date for both the Splatoon and Smash tournaments. Is it like Splatoon being on June 11 and Smash on June 12, or will both be divided through these two days?
If both go through the two days, then, definitely, we're getting a Smash Direct prior to Nintendo's main presentation (which if history repeats itself it'll be on June 12, the tuesday, right before E3 itself starts, again), kind of what happened in 2015 with the DLC batch.
They might announce like the bare minimum (title, gameplay footage, two newcomers, release date) on the Direct to kick off to the tournament (maybe they might even stream the Direct some hours or who knows right before the tournament), then shoehorning other newcomer reveals during E3 (maybe one during their main presentation, one in each day of the tournament and one during Treehouse). Since the announcement to reveal cycle is the shortest one this time around since Melee, we might get newcomer reveals left and right, so maybe E3 will have lots of those

Of course, this is all considering the tournament starts in June 11 :p

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't know how many newcomers are realistically going to be in this game, since Nintendo is running out of major first party characters. Regardless, if anything at all is going to be revealed before E3, any direct or trailer for Smash will include at least one new character.

I am not expecting a direct before E3. I might be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it. Personally, I think that the day before the tournament, they will reveal gameplay, 16 veteran characters, the other basics, and maybe one new character... And then the tournament will begin. To me, that seems the most realistic.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
It means that Nintendo would love to invite women and other PC culture groups for the sake of it, not because they merit invitation
Rapture is a white guy and he's a tournament organizer. Was he invited for the sake of diversity? Because he sure as heck wasn't invited for his Smash skills. I don't think merit had much to do with who Nintendo invited, they just invited a bunch of people from the Smash community. Yeah, the female players were mostly added to keep it from being a sausage fest, but it's not even a legit tournament. It's just a way to show off the game, and the players they invite are just there so the audience (consisting mostly of people that don't even know who any of the players are) have someone to latch on to and cheer for.

yet they stop short of inviting someone who actually represents a different audience than literally everyone else they will offer.
They're not trying to represent any audience other than the Smash community, going by the players invited last time. I mean, there was a celebrity side event, but the main tourney only had people from the Smash community. Even if some of the players weren't among the best of whatever Smash game they played, they still all played Smash competitively to a certain degree and represented the community (even the Voldemort community).

Etika would be fun to see, but if Nintendo is going to go for a "different audience", Etika would probably be one of the last people they'd go to. Nintendo won't want someone so known for vulgarity and lewdity officially associated with their brand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom