• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Nintendo Involvement: Blessing or Curse?

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
So, Apex 2015 has reached a decisive conclusion just a couple of days ago (at this time anyway), and was the most attend Smash Bros. tournament of all time. In addition to that, Nintendo was willing to back up the competition with set-ups and other support. However, Nintendo's involvement in the ordeal meant the obvious absence of Project M and the ridiculous streaming shenanigan known as #OneUnit.

With that said, how do you feel of Nintendo's involvement at this years Apex, and would you like them to participate in the matter again? Would Nintendo's handy-work in other tournaments be a positive or negative?

Blessing or Curse?

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
I say, if Nintendo wants to be a part of the smash community they need to play by our rules, and not the other way around.
That means they need to find a way to be okay with Project M.

Right now Nintendo is acting like a deadbeat dad who was absent for 10 years, comes back once they need to USE you, and says "you can't be friends with this Project M kid (he might hurt my profit scheme)".

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I say, if Nintendo wants to be a part of the smash community they need to play by our rules, and not the other way around.

Right now Nintendo is acting like a deadbeat dad who was absent for 10 years, comes back once they need to USE you, and says "you can't be friends with this Project M kid (he might hurt my profit scheme)".
They literally cannot acknowledge Project M. This is not,"We don't want Project M around," it's "Project M is a great kid, but if he keeps hanging around the cops are gonna come and screw over everything, so we're just gonna ignore you and him hanging out in the park."

I really want Nintendo to get involved with the Smash community. Right now they're just getting their feet wet, so I understand some people might not be bowled over, but I think this could lead to a glorious One Unit future, where all the Smasher live and Smash together

So, yeah. Blessing.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice

Nintendo being 'okay with Project M' is about as likely as Goldeneye being released on the VC.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
They literally cannot acknowledge Project M. This is not,"We don't want Project M around," it's "Project M is a great kid, but if he keeps hanging around the cops are gonna come and screw over everything, so we're just gonna ignore you and him hanging out in the park."

I really want Nintendo to get involved with the Smash community. Right now they're just getting their feet wet, so I understand some people might not be bowled over, but I think this could lead to a glorious One Unit future, where all the Smasher live and Smash together

So, yeah. Blessing.
True, as it currently stands (a mod that goes through a backdoor loader) Nintendo can't acknowledge Project M. But they can release SSBB on the eShop, and then they could have Project M be DLC for it.
Basically, if Nintendo wanted to acknowledge Project M, they would find a way to do it.

I fear they might not really care about the competitive smash community, and are just using us to promote their latest game.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been a Nintendo gamer for over 20 years, and (while I love many of their games and consoles) they can be terrible business partners. They tend to be very uptight and extremely controlling.

I really want Nintendo to get involved too, but I think Nintendo should let this massive community lead them and not the other way around. And one of the most beautiful, cherished things to come from this community is Project M. If they really cared about the community, and not just their latest game, they would find a way to make PM legit.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The problem with the possible idea of Project M as DLC if Brawl were released as an eShop title, is that redistributing it in a new form (even if it's Virtual Console), would require potentially going back to Konami/SEGA/whomever is involved to promote and distribute this. Not to mention with the potential new characters in the pipeline (Ridley, Skull Kid, Lyndis, Knuckles, Isaac are the ones I believe. though Ridley was only rumored while the latter four were leaked).

Knuckles alone as another 3rd party character would cause problems. It's next to impossible without investing so much time into the game. And to be perfectly honest, we're perfectionists and PM goes through so many iterations as it is. How many more do we have to go through? We complained about Sonic (which is legitimate he was really strong against fast fallers, though he was nerfed too soon as well IMO), the team responded and nerfed him. Ivysaur? Same thing. Mewtwo? Lucas? And Nintendo likely wouldn't patch a Wii game that's been out for years, let alone introduce brand spanking "new" DLC in the form of project. It would undermine and cut the original game that was created; no offense to Brawl.

Putting it crudely sorta, keep dreaming pretty much.

[EDIT]

Not to mention that would require removing Isaac and Lyndis from the Assist Trophy list. Not that hard to do, but what about the people that like those characters in the original Brawl? Nintendo can't just cater 100% to the competitive demographic, lending even moreso to the improbability of that idea.

They can support us, watch our scene flourish, support us as we raise awareness for their games as newcomers to competitive Smash or even casual get-togethers play and buy their product. But they gotta turn a blind eye to Project M. If they acknowledge it, they Cease & Desist it by virtue alone.

Last edited:

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
Yes, if Nintendo wanted to legitimize project m the creators would have to make some concessions. Some content would have to be removed or replaced. But then it becomes a choice of: keep making an illegal mod exactly the way you want while not profiting or make some changes for a legal version and rake in some cash.

The DLC was just an example of how they could do it. There may be other ways of doing it, but the DLC would only raise the sales of Brawl. As long as Nintendo's making money, I don't see why they would care which version people liked better.

I know the chances of the big N doing anything like this are on par with Jamaica winning a bobsled race, but the point is they could if they wanted to.

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Yes, if Nintendo wanted to legitimize project m the creators would have to make some concessions. Some content would have to be removed or replaced. But then it becomes a choice of: keep making an illegal mod exactly the way you want while not profiting or make some changes for a legal version and rake in some cash.

The DLC was just an example of how they could do it. There may be other ways of doing it, but the DLC would only raise the sales of Brawl. As long as Nintendo's making money, I don't see why they would care which version people liked better.

I know the chances of the big N doing anything like this are on par with Jamaica winning a bobsled race, but the point is they could if they wanted to.
They really couldn't. People would just spread the old PM, with all the content, and people would be super pissed with the Big N. This is literally the best option. PM stays off Nintendo's radar, and everyone just goes on their way.

Also, PM still has grassroots tourneys. It's not like it's banished from the earth

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Nintendo being 'okay with Project M' is about as likely as Goldeneye being released on the VC.
You never read the interview with Prog did you? They don't want to shut it down, but they can't support it due to legal reasons.

~

Nintendo being involved is far better than not given that they will give support and help get set-ups like they did for APEX and other goodies.

Top Bottom