• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Indie Corner: Golf Story

Nintendo_Indie_Corner_Golf_Story.jpg

Disclaimer: The Author, Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes, received a free copy of the game, Golf Story, from the developer, Sidebar Games, for review purposes.

Waiting for Super Smash Bros. on the Switch? Here at SmashBoards, we’ve decided to start highlighting various indie Switch games to tide your wait over.

Golf Story, developed by Sidebar Games, begins with the main protagonist trying to reclaim his love of golf after a 20-year-long hiatus. The game is an experience that combines two unexpected loves: Golf and JRPGs. Unlike a typical golf game, it’s very heavy on story, item shops, dialogue, and leveling up. The only similarity it doesn’t share with old JRPGs is the combat.

GolfStory3.jpg

The combat is centered around golf: similar to the Mario Golf portable games. It’s very forgiving, but it also challenged me to learn on several occasions. I was hooked on the idea of improving. There were various challenges before my first official golfing tournament that required me to use certain skills, which all proved to be interesting. For example, a guy challenging my character to drive as far as he could into the green. This made me use the mechanics and higher club ranges to succeed.

The central plot is also well developed. Not only is it engaging; it’s a refreshing take on JRPGs. It’s an underdog story, with the protagonist working diligently to improve his golf game. Being a veteran gamer, I tend to skip dialogue quite a bit, but at various scenes, I was rolling in laughter a lot more than expected.

GolfStory1.jpg

The art in Golf Story is absolutely astounding, with polish in every corner of the pixels. It’s the best of both worlds: nostalgia-invoking (it looks like a GBA game) while also having that console polish. The music of Golf Story is catchy. Like usual RPG soundtracks, Golf Story's is memorable and catchy. The difference is its relaxing, whimsical vibe.
An example of the soundtrack

Golf Story features eight unique environments, each with their own courses, challenges, and secrets. For only $15.00 It’s a worthwhile experience for gamers in search of a gripping story, engaging gameplay, and something a little bit different.

Outlets Golf Story is available on:

eShop

Developers on Social Media:
Sidebar Games’s Website
Sidebar Games’ Twitter

Last edited:
Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

This has been on my radar as something I wanted to take a look at. It looks very interesting to say the least and I've seen a lot of journalists giving it praise.

YES, I miss articles like these so much. Need remix corner back too though. Also its a pretty good game to say the least, and not too expensive if you're looking for something cheap for your switch.

Top Bottom