• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Forum RP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalark

SNORLAX
Anyone remember forum role playing? For the uninitiated, it's exactly what it sounds like. You role play a character on a forum. I used to be decently into this scene way, way back in the mid 2000s. I eventually lost interest due to various reasons including community problems and the fact that this was the 2000s so half of the characters on any give forum were Angsty McBroodingtons who were trying to be edgier than their dad's razor blades.

Anyway, I've tossed the idea around for a while but I'm posting this thread here to see if anyone would actually be interested in a Nintendo themed forum RP. If the universe in question would be Zelda, Pokemon or even something a bit more off the wall like Paper Mario is up for discussion.

Obviously, if we'd be playing in a play-by-post format since setting up extended chat rooms and such would be out of the question for how small this would likely be. The real point of debate is if we'd go with a structured rule set or a free-form one.

If we go for structured, then that would be there would be definitive stats, classes, rules for combat, ect. This would also put a lot of pressure on the game master since they would have to be constantly keeping everyone updated with what's happening in the game world.

In a more free-form style players combat rules are loose at best and players are pretty free to just write whatever level of cause and effect that they want. This puts less pressure on the GM and allows for more of a drop-in-drop-out style of play but leaves the door wide open for Mary Sues and Marty Stus to do whatever they want. Regardless of what we pick, there's going to be a major code of honor thing going down.

I'm thinking that we'd use a hybrid of sorts, but I'll leave that up to discussion. But the question stands, is this something that interests anyone?

EDIT: I specifically posted this here instead of decisive games since I feel like this is the best place for people who would be interested in this sort of thing to voice their thoughts before setting up an actual RP thread in decisive games. Although if you disagree @Firus feel free to move this thread as you see fit.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I remember my big sister doing a Harvest Moon RP a while back and while I didn't join (mainly because HM is a bit boring for me), I thought it was a cool concept. I don't know who I would be (and are the ones you mentioned the only universes allowed?), but I'm totally up for a RP.

EDIT: Also, is the RP going to take place in one universe (like having only Zelda characters in Hyrule), characters from multiple universes in a land from a specific universe (like allowing Mario/StarFox/F-Zero/Pokemon/[Insert Universe Here] characters in Hyrule), or characters from multiple universes in a made-up land?

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I remember my big sister doing a Harvest Moon RP a while back and while I didn't join (mainly because HM is a bit boring for me), I thought it was a cool concept. I don't know who I would be (and are the ones you mentioned the only universes allowed?), but I'm totally up for a RP.

EDIT: Also, is the RP going to take place in one universe (like having only Zelda characters in Hyrule), characters from multiple universes in a land from a specific universe (like allowing Mario/StarFox/F-Zero/Pokemon/[Insert Universe Here] characters in Hyrule), or characters from multiple universes in a made-up land?
Me and a friend of mine used to RP on a now dead LoZ fan site back in 2006 or so. He was a Zora, I was a Goron, we went on wacky adventures. Unfortunately we got into a disagreement with a long-time player (IIRC he was kinda being a ****, but we were about thirteen at the time so we were probably at fault) and he got a GM to throw an Iron Knuckle at us that we couldn't possibly beat. Both our characters died and we quit that RP after that. It was fun while it lasted, though.

Anyway, originally I meant to ask what specific universe people would be interested in RPing in, but it was poorly worded because I wrote that in a rush before work. The idea of some kind of crossover never occurred to me, but I'm all for it. Given that we're on a Smash Bros fan site it seems appropriate.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
How many people do you think we would need to start out if this idea actually catches on?

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
OH MY GODS! POSTED BACK IN JUNE! POSTED IN JUNE! ON MY BIRTHDAY IN JUNE!

I'm putting reading the OP off till after this post since I've always wanted to play an active RP! As an aspiring game designer, RPs are also a great way to canvas game mechanics and concepts with little to no tech skill. I'm on board with this no matter what!

EDIT: As for specific universes I'm more inclined to, Smash Bros./general Nintendo, Kirby, & Fire Emblem I'm really interested in. Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, and Animal Crossing I'd be open to.

Also, I would be even more interested if I could serve as some sort of GM or designer.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If we were to put out an RP in any given amount of time, I don't think we should take this interest check's sample size as a complete estimate of user interest. Remember, this would go in dGames, which is folded with mafia threads (helps for notability) and the players are more inclined to more articulate strategy methods.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
Yo, I'd be interested in an RP. I'm actually a part of a few RPs on a different site, but one of them people almost never post in and the other I barely ever post in since I'm not exactly a big part of it. There's also an RP on this site that I'm a part of, but that too probably won't go anywhere anytime soon (that reminds me, I should probably post in that soon).

So for the RP it would be like in a nintendo universe? I'd be cool with a LoZ, F-zero, or SSB role-play. I'm fine with whatever you guys choose though (if this ever becomes a thing).

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Yo, I'd be interested in an RP. I'm actually a part of a few RPs on a different site, but one of them people almost never post in and the other I barely ever post in since I'm not exactly a big part of it. There's also an RP on this site that I'm a part of, but that too probably won't go anywhere anytime soon (that reminds me, I should probably post in that soon).

So for the RP it would be like in a nintendo universe? I'd be cool with a LoZ, F-zero, or SSB role-play. I'm fine with whatever you guys choose though (if this ever becomes a thing).
@ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy and I have been discussing different possibilities via PM. Right now it looks like we're leaning towards something FE related but we're always open to suggestions.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
A fire emblem RP? Hmm... I've only really ever played through like one of them and that was Radiant dawn (though I have recently bought Sacred Stones). So my knowledge about fire emblem might be kind of limited. Though I guess I would be fine with it.

I would like to hear from those who have expressed interested in the project. What kind of gameplay system(s) would you enjoy using?
What exactly do you mean by gameplay systems? I've never really joined a role-play that had unique system so I wouldn't exactly know.

finalark

SNORLAX
What exactly do you mean by gameplay systems? I've never really joined a role-play that had unique system so I wouldn't exactly know.
We've been in the process of discussing exactly how structured vs. free form it is and how defined the game's rules will be. Personally, I've played in both play-by-post RPs and ones with chatrooms and specific rules for encounters. So we're really just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks.

Omar_25

Smash Superstar
We've been in the process of discussing exactly how structured vs. free form it is and how defined the game's rules will be. Personally, I've played in both play-by-post RPs and ones with chatrooms and specific rules for encounters. So we're really just throwing things against the wall and seeing what sticks.
Ahh, ok. I'll definitely be thinking about this.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I'm not sure how the combat-based stuff would work (since I'm not familiar with combat RPs), but the stats could be based off of the FE character's base stats and leveling up could follow the traditional randomized stat gains.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
We want to create a system strays away from typical RPs whilst being accessible enough that players will keep up with it. Even if you have never played a Fire Emblem game, you will be able to play just about any game in the series down to the basics. It's easier than it's cracked up to be.

Currently, we're taking a lot of Awakening influences.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Using pairing could be interesting, but I really don't want this RP to turn into a bad fanfic with a bunch of weird shipping going on. Also, will characters who have default mid or high-tier classes be allowed to start on those classes, or will they be demoted to their lowest tier (Ex: Lucia staying Swordmaster or being bumped down to Myrmidon)?

finalark

SNORLAX
Using pairing could be interesting, but I really don't want this RP to turn into a bad fanfic with a bunch of weird shipping going on.
Clearly you haven't done much RP :troll:

Also, will characters who have default mid or high-tier classes be allowed to start on those classes, or will they be demoted to their lowest tier (Ex: Lucia staying Swordmaster or being bumped down to Myrmidon)?
Right now we're discussing if we want to do OCs, cannon characters or a mixture. I'll post some updates once we have a better grasp on what we're going to be doing.

finalark

SNORLAX
For anyone who's wondering, we've pretty much settled on allowing a mix of cannon characters and OCs.

Right now we're still working on the details, so we'll have more on that in the near future.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
For anyone who's wondering, we've pretty much settled on allowing a mix of cannon characters and OCs.

Right now we're still working on the details, so we'll have more on that in the near future.
We'd probably need character bios from any OCs so that we would at least have backgrounds, character traits, homeland, race, class, how/if they tie into any of the game's timelines, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom