• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Enters Competitive Gaming with NintendoVS

Will Nintendo ever support Smash?

• YES!

Votes: 56 69.1%
  • NO!

Votes: 25 30.9%

• Total voters
nintendovs.png

Your destination for Nintendo social competitive updates is here! Besides Smash, at least for now.

On Jun 9, Nintendo of America unveiled a new Twitter account that updates the competitive communities that surround their triple A titles, NintendoVS.

According to the Twitter account, Nintendo will be supporting Splatoon 2, ARMS, and Pokken Tournament DX from here on out. Their first initiative is set to be a series of invitational tournaments at E3 on June 13 -14, the specific dates of which can be seen below.
  • Splatoon 2: Tuesday, 6/13
  • Pokken Tournament DX: Wednesday, 6/14
  • ARMS: Wednesday, 6/14
The events' official infographics can be seen below; they include date of the event, time, competitors, event format, prizes, and announcers.

Splatoon 2 Invitational Details

Pokken Tournament DX Invitational Details

ARMS Invitational Details
Nintendo has released a list of their invited personalities for their Pokken Tournament DX event:
  • MatPat
  • NRG | Nairo
  • Stephanie Patrick
  • JD Witherspoon
  • Echo Fox | Justin Wong
  • Andre Meadows
  • Allister Singh
  • Liquid | Ken
---
The Twitter account is fairly new to the public and has yet to provide more information, for now.

If you are interested to see these events, Nintendo has provided a link to their stream for the your viewing pleasure.

What do you think about this move that Nintendo did? Will Super Smash Bros. be supported in the near future? Personally, I am disappointed to see the lack of support from Nintendo for one of their major franchises, Super Smash Bros.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh Olalde

Comments

If a Smash 4 port comes to the switch, then I'd say the chance of support is pretty solid. I just hope they don't use items or other illegal shenanigans.

Last edited:
SMASHHHHH ***** JUST DO IT ITS ALL RIGHT THERE PLEASE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE WE ARE ALREADY HERE JUST PICK THIS **** UP

Look at NintendoVS's Twitter banner. That gaping red hole in the graphic just screams a Smash 4DX announcement at E3. Plus, they're bringing tons of well-known Smash players to E3, so what better timing to announce a Smash port than when top Smashers are present?

I feel like Nintendo kinda wants to support smash on this, but also doesn't. All the other games seemed originally built with competitive play in mind to some degree, but smash not so much. Sure it definitely evolved into a competitive game, but the original didn't really have big tournament level competitive gaming in mind when it was created.

Also unlike the other games, which the competitive scenes and casual scenes live mostly in harmony together with no hostility towards the other, smash's competitive scene tends to clash with it's casual scene ( often due to arguments started by the casual scene)

If they literally promote all these games for esports but ignore the one nintendo IP that people actually play as an esport because we're all not playing it the right way in Nintendo's mind, it's going to be a big letdown.

I think, looking at all the evidence they have just given us (inviting smash veterans, deliberately omitting one of their biggest titles from the lineup etc.) to me at least, strongly suggests that they're planning to announce a port for smash 4 as there would be no reason to have smash 4 present if they're planning on releasing smash switch.

It makes me mad Nintendo are pushing a Waggle game in ARMS and a half-waggle game in Splatoon more then a game that already has a huge competitive scene and is already very popular with outsiders called SMASH 4. The only other Nintendo game that has the potential to get as big as Smash is Pokken in my opinion, ARMS especially should stay as a party game.

Guys, the empty red portion of the banner is obviously Smash in some form, so calm down. No need to hate on other games just because you're salty about something that's not even an issue. I'm hyped for every game up there, especially Pokken DX.

Last edited:
It's obviously because there are already countless Smash tournaments. They are trying to build up their other fighting games before reminding people about Smash. Besides, they're a sponsor at almost every major tournament at this point so it's not like there's nothing.

Last edited:
I feel like Nintendo kinda wants to support smash on this, but also doesn't. All the other games seemed originally built with competitive play in mind to some degree, but smash not so much. Sure it definitely evolved into a competitive game, but the original didn't really have big tournament level competitive gaming in mind when it was created.

Also unlike the other games, which the competitive scenes and casual scenes live mostly in harmony together with no hostility towards the other, smash's competitive scene tends to clash with it's casual scene ( often due to arguments started by the casual scene)
At the very worst Nintendo views Smash on the same level as Mario Kart, and even that still gets events. It's quite obvious from the last Invitational that Smash will be added to NintyVS, especially if NoA has more influence since they are very for competitive Smash.

It makes me mad Nintendo are pushing a Waggle game in ARMS and a half-waggle game in Splatoon more then a game that already has a huge competitive scene and is already very popular with outsiders called SMASH 4. The only other Nintendo game that has the potential to get as big as Smash is Pokken in my opinion, ARMS especially should stay as a party game.
Doesn't look like there's any true waggling involved in Arms... they're both what you called "half-waggle" where it's more like tilting rather then the flamboyant motions the Wii was known for. Either way, both games' motion controls can be turned off if a player has a problem with them. Arms and Splatoon 2 seem to be on the track to success either way, and promoting the two competitively could lead to a fresh new identity for Nintendo.

That being said, I do think Pokken has a lot more potential now that it's on a better medium for competitive play, where acquiring two consoles in order to face off equally is no longer out of the question. Will it become as big as Smash 4? Hard to tell, but it's definitely getting somewhere.

Despite the fact that Nintendo SEEMS to be fully supporting competitive play with a social media account meant for it, I'm pretty sure i can't be the only one who finds it difficult to believe them considering this aught to have happened a long time ago. I mean, they make this account for games on the Switch, despite the fact a few of their games have been running tournaments for years, and they gave almost zero fanfare about it[ outside of evidently sponsoring majors].

this looks like a publicity stunt, and I'll likely want a little more than a social media account that can be made and disposed of with next to little effort, before I'll even consider the idea that Nintendo actually wants to communicate with fans...

Last edited:
I think, seeing as these games are all fairly competitive to begin with, that Nintendo will definitely have a Smash game on the Switch but not in the way that we think. It seems that based on the competitive level of the other games here that a new Smash game could be released with competitive play in mind, possibly with techs similar to those in Melee. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd buy that.

Doesn't look like there's any true waggling involved in Arms... they're both what you called "half-waggle" where it's more like tilting rather then the flamboyant motions the Wii was known for. Either way, both games' motion controls can be turned off if a player has a problem with them. Arms and Splatoon 2 seem to be on the track to success either way, and promoting the two competitively could lead to a fresh new identity for Nintendo.

That being said, I do think Pokken has a lot more potential now that it's on a better medium for competitive play, where acquiring two consoles in order to face off equally is no longer out of the question. Will it become as big as Smash 4? Hard to tell, but it's definitely getting somewhere.
Haha i was half joking, but i still think ARMS and Splatoon 2 don't really have competitive potential, they just don't seem to have enough depth to me. I can see how Splatoon's turf wars could work (i don't know much about the Splatoon 1 scene so it might actually be pretty deep) but not ARMS. ARMS just seems kinda repetitive. All the characters don't feel different enough, no combo, you hit them and they fall down x100 until someone wins, every single character has a grand total of 3 moves, etc. I think ARMS will be a great entrance to fighting games but if you wanna get serious about it you should move to Tekken, MvC, Street Fighter or either Smash games. (I would argue SF5 might be a slightly better starting point.)

ARMS isn't really anymore competitive than smash bros., and you're giving the competitive scene too much credit, most of those guys are assholes.

Nintendo VS. seems to be more of a NoA thing than anything else, so if Smash bros. IS confirmed for Switch than we'll most likely see them support the game. Especially since there's already a competitive scene for the series.

I think, seeing as these games are all fairly competitive to begin with, that Nintendo will definitely have a Smash game on the Switch but not in the way that we think. It seems that based on the competitive level of the other games here that a new Smash game could be released with competitive play in mind, possibly with techs similar to those in Melee. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd buy that.
Dude if they released ssb4 with melee tech I would definitely play in smash 4 tournaments

Top Bottom