• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Direct February 2021 Recap

We called it.

After a tragically long hiatus, we finally got a full-length Nintendo Direct and it was just as brimming with hype as you would expect.

We opened on a video showing Rex of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fame searching for his partners after the events of the game… only to realize that the legendary blades Pyra and Mythra will be the newest characters added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Some people may be disappointed to see more sword fighters added to the game, but their flashy animations and incredible stage coverage so far seem to be more than enough to get the rest of us excited. Even more exciting is the fact that they represent a return to the 2-in-1 switching character first seen in Zelda and Sheik in Melee, though exactly how different they will be remains to be seen.

Our first of many “Nintendo Switch headlines”—as general manager and host Shinya Takahashi called them—showcased Switch ports of Fall Guys, The Outer Wilds, and the classic 8-bit sleuth adventures Famicom Mystery Club: The Missing Heir and its sequel, The Girl Who Stands Behind which are already available for pre-order.

As for new games, we saw short trailers for Samurai Warriors 5 which follows the exploits of legendary Japanese warlord Nobunaga Oda; Legend of Mana Remastered which promised a new minigame and rearranged soundtrack, and Monster Hunter Rise which showed us more of its feudal Japanese flavor in a trailer that emphasized town-defense and monster control.

But the biggest surprise in this section was easily Mario Golf Super Rush, featuring motion control and unexpectedly technical additions that seem plucked out of a golf simulator rather than a Mario game. That will probably make real golf fans happy, but those looking for a more footloose experience will likely spend their time with Speed Golf, a new fast-paced game mode best described as golf by way of Mario Kart. Speaking of modes, a story campaign featuring players’ Miis was also announced, just in case you thought the game needed even more content.

More ports were announced next: Tales from the Borderlands, Capcom Arcade Stadium, and cult-classic action game Stubbs the Zombie. But the real action came packaged with the latest trailer for No More Heroes 3, whose entire story will apparently revolve around a massive tournament arc, in case any of you were worried it would not be anime enough. We then got a taste of Neon White, a light-gun game set in heaven that seems worth the price of admission for Steve Blum’s voicework in the lead role. We also saw DC Superhero Girls: Teen Power which promises to balance school life and superhero action, Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighborville Complete Edition which ties all the game’s content and downloadable additions into one package, and Miitopia making easily the least likely return seen in the entire show.

We then learned Animal Crossing: New Horizons players can look forward to some Super Mario-themed items coming for a belated 35th anniversary celebration in a free update coming February 25th. And speaking of celebrations, we then launched into a cinematic trailer for Project Triangle Strategy, the strategy RPG successor to Octopath Traveler. Though the genre may be unfamiliar territory for the series, the gorgeous HD sprites, complex character relationship system, and epic music are not, as the presentation seems to uphold its predecessor’s high standard.

Some rapid-fire looks at other upcoming releases followed, namely:

• Star Wars Hunters, a free-to-play shooter set in the franchise’s sequel timeline.
  • Knockout City, which seems to be trying to do to dodgeball what Splatoon did to paintball.
  • World’s End Club, a side-scrolling narrative adventure game
  • A physical edition for the acclaimed Hades with a download code for the game’s Soundtrack and art book.
  • Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection set to combine the best versions of all 3 games in the reboot of the classic action series with all their DLC included.

Speaking of DLC, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity is getting some spiffy new updates via a season pass featuring new weapons, items, battle skills, and of course new characters, stages, and vignettes. These are planned to come in two waves, first in June and later in November with new weapons and costumes as a purchase bonus available starting May 28th. Unfortunately, what these goodies may be is currently a secret to everybody.

We then got to see more of Ghosts ‘n Goblins: Resurrection and its new unique power-ups, SaGa Frontier Remastered and its new characters and scenarios, plus a Switch port of FPS battle royal Apex: Legends which does not seem to offer anything new, but with such a fine game available on the go, who can complain?

Then we were directed to Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma who confirmed he had nothing to share on Breath of the Wild 2’s development but did have a Skyward Sword HD remaster in the works to tide fans over. The title features improved motion controls, button-only controls for portable play, and some sweet branded joy-con skins. Hopefully this will give the underrated game a newfound appreciation among series die-hards and casual players alike.

It was then time for the final announcement. If the sight of an Inkling in a Mad Max-esque desert before venturing to a revamped Inkopolis and joining an all-out turf war with new maps and floating platforms didn’t get your heart pumping, you may just need to speak to your cardiologist, because the upcoming Splatoon 3 looks amazing so far.

Author's Note: What did you think of this Direct? Are you heartbroken at the lack of new Zelda content? Are you excited about the metric ton of ports coming to the Switch? Have you already set Pyra as your main? Let us know in the comments below.

Credits
Editing & Graphics (@Zerp)

Last edited:
Will "Octrockandroll" Bertazzo Lambert

Comments

Yeah, that's the point?
I mean, you do you is all I'm saying.

I just kinda shrug when people say "Great, another anime swordfighter", because, it's a Japanese game, what really were you expecting? Japan loves their protagonists to have swords.

Besides, we've gotten way off track from the original comment about Seph anyway, lol.

I mean, you do you is all I'm saying.

I just kinda shrug when people say "Great, another anime swordfighter", because, it's a Japanese game, what really were you expecting? Japan loves their protagonists to have swords.

Besides, we've gotten way off track from the original comment about Seph anyway, lol.
You don't seem to fully understand the issue. Your statement "it's a japanese game, what really were you expecting?" is some of the most bland things you can say and really doesn't bring anything meaningful to the discussion. There is currently a thread about this topic (problem people have with sword characters or something along that) where I have written some points and I don't feel like repeating myself. (Or more accuratly, I don't want to have the discussion about it here (anymore).)

You don't seem to fully understand the issue. Your statement "it's a japanese game, what really were you expecting?" is some of the most bland things you can say and really doesn't bring anything meaningful to the discussion. There is currently a thread about this topic (problem people have with sword characters or something along that) where I have written some points and I don't feel like repeating myself. (Or more accuratly, I don't want to have the discussion about it here (anymore).)
I understand the issue, it's just I don't see it as a problem like others do. I don't really care if an anime sword user exists in Smash, as long as they're fun to play.

But I agree, this isn't the place to have this discussion, and you don't wish to have it any longer, so it's best to leave on amicable terms if possible. Apologies for keeping you soo long.

I understand the issue, it's just I don't see it as a problem like others do. I don't really care if an anime sword user exists in Smash, as long as they're fun to play.

But I agree, this isn't the place to have this discussion, and you don't wish to have it any longer, so it's best to leave on amicable terms if possible. Apologies for keeping you soo long.
Good for you.

Nah, no need to apologize. If I didn't want to reply and further the conversation then I would just ignore your (and others) posts and move along, which I have right now.

You don't think it's because they are/use swords? Okay...

If it is about misoginy then why didn't people hate on Min Min?

They did.

Heck, it's been lime what? 6 or 7 months since she was released? I still see Min Min hate on my twitter timeline every day and that is not something I can say for most other characters.

Last edited:
I dunno...Rex, at least, was consistently requested along with Pyra/Mythra. I think the only "unpredictable" part is having Pyra/Mythra by themselves.
That's exactly what I meant.

I find it sad that some people are mad about Pyra/Mythra because they're "anime swordsman". Like, I can only hope that's a joke, because if not, then they both don't understand the inaccuracy of that signifier in the first place, nor the reason it was even started as a complaint in the first place. Pyra/Mythra look like they have an actual unique moveset, like Byleth, like Sephiroth, like basically all the sword characters of late. How this is still a talking point at all is beyond me.
It's the aesthetic: beyond Banjo, Steve and maybe Min-Min they have all been in the realm of anime, swords or a combination of both. We just want some damn cartoon characters; it's so imbalanced. Even Steve is pretty much a humanoid sword character (obviously not entirely).

If it was my call, Byleth, Joker, Terry and Pyra would all be out, but that's just me.

I always said that I'll take any character for DLC, but goddamnit, I'm sick of these "Luigi before Mario" picks. It kills my OCD to know that we have playable secondary characters because the main character was a Mii Costume.
Who's next? Coco before Crash?
They are putting way too many eggs into the "reaction culture" basket; that shouldn't dictate anything. Their obsession with being unpredictable to cater to YouTubers and streamers is just cringe at this point.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I meant.

It's the aesthetic: beyond Banjo, Steve and maybe Min-Min they have all been in the realm of anime, swords or a combination of both. We just want some damn cartoon characters; it's so imbalanced. Even Steve is pretty much a humanoid sword character (obviously not entirely).

If it was my call, Byleth, Joker, Terry and Pyra would all be out, but that's just me.

They are putting way too many eggs into the "reaction culture" basket; that shouldn't dictate anything. Their obsession with being unpredictable to cater to YouTubers and streamers is just cringe at this point.
Obsession with being unpredictable?
Literally every Smash character is unpredictable because that's how Smash reveals work. We have zero idea who the fighter is until they are revealed. No amount of green text leaks and screenshots and "dude trust me" posts is going to change that.

Also-it's not misogyny. Not sure who brought that up but I don't see the resemblance. I (and many others) are dissatisfied with Prya's reveal because-well, we don't like Xenoblade. And of all the DLC characters, only one fights without a sword or disjoint, that being Terry-it's justified to want more non-sword characters. People dislike Min Min because she isn't fun to fight. People don't like Byleth because it's the eighth character in a franchise that has ample representation in Smash Bros. People dislike Pyra and Mythra because they come from a very recent game, and at that, not a super popular one. And their reveal trailer-mainly the English voice acting-was particularly cringey. I can't speak for the entirety of the Smash community, but I'm 99% certain it doesn't have to do with misogyny.
(To be clear, I congratulate everyone who wanted Pyra and/or Mythra. Not who I wanted but it's always cool to see people get estatic over their favorites getting in).

Reactions: xzx
They did.

Heck, it's been lime what? 6 or 7 months since she was released? I still see Min Min hate on my twitter timeline every day and that is not something I can say for most other characters.
Yeah, but not to this caliber. And if they're hating on Min Min, that's not because she's a woman. It's because they either hate ARMS or don't like the character. Please consider other reasons before making stuff up.

They did.

Min Min is pretty widely hated in Japan. Wouldn't be surprised if it's catching on in other places. The reason isn't sexism, it's that the character has so many safe attacks at a range that is very difficult to contest. This includes edgeguards - where most other characters have to go offstage and thus put themselves at risk, Min Min can hold her stage control and use down-angled f-smashes to intercept recoveries. Very few characters have options that good at ledge.

I'm a demigirl and a feminist. I don't hate Min Min, but I can see that 99% of the hate thrown her way is not because she's female, but because she's aggravating to fight.

Yeah, but not to this caliber. And if they're hating on Min Min, that's not because she's a woman. It's because they either hate ARMS or don't like the character. Please consider other reasons before making stuff up.
At no point did I make anything up, dude. All I did was share an anecdote, you don't have to take it personally.

They're not catering to reaction culture at all. Nearly every character in the DLC has had people who legitimately wanted them and is happy to see them.
I mean, by that token you could just say that every single video game character has at least one person who wants them... I can't argue with that. The only names I feel like were big requests that people were actually talking about were Banjo, Steve and maybe Hero.

Top Bottom