• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Cancels Livestreams for Splatoon 2 North American Open

Cancelled.jpg

Recent allegations have surfaced that Nintendo has, allegedly, suppressed the advancement of the Smash competitive community. These allegations have been highlighted in an article published by the Smashboards news team. This all came about after the online version of Big House was cancelled following a Cease & Desist order by Nintendo due to their use of Slippi, an online alternative for Super Smash Bros. Melee. Following this, several hashtags like #FreeMelee and #SaveSmash were created to help support the community and represent frustration against Nintendo.

As a way of showing support, the competitive Splatoon and ARMS community have voiced concerns about Nintendo’s actions against the Smash community and their own experiences working with the company. Specifically, Nintendo’s involvement in official ARMs tournaments have been criticized.

Nintendo has been largely silent regarding these allegations and made no effort to explain their decisions but, perhaps, they did make a statement in the form of recent actions against the Splatoon community. According to sources, Nintendo has cancelled their live-streams for the Splatoon 2 North American Open.

Further evidence in the Twitter thread has been provided by the user. It’s pretty shocking to learn that 30% of the users showing support for #SaveSmash and #FreeMelee caused live-streams for its finals to be cancelled. It’s currently unknown if the finals will be broadcasted at another date but its relation to the current situation in the Smash competitive community is uncanny.

What do you think about this given situation? Do you think Nintendo should support their competitive communities? Do you think they have been acting poorly? Let us know below.

Credits:
Graphics: @Zerp
Social Media: @Scribe

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Comments

....Inb4 people suddenly forget this if CP8 were to be revealed at the Game Awards.

I'm not even taking sides when I say that.

Nintendo shut down a tournament for criticizing one thing they did? Okay, in this situation Nintendo is no longer in the legal right... yeah i still love Nintendo as a company, but damn they make some pretty bad decisions
You can love their creative products they produce, but don't love companies. They are here to make a profit at the end of the day, they are not your friend even if you have an emotional attachment to their products.

Nintendo shut down a tournament for criticizing one thing they did? Okay, in this situation Nintendo is no longer in the legal right... yeah i still love Nintendo as a company, but damn they make some pretty bad decisions
They only shut down the livestream for it. The tournament itself will still happen as usual, we just won't see it.

What Nintendo did is still a bad call overall and just paints a bad picture of them, but it would be a good idea to avoid misinformation at a time like this.

Last edited:
man, why do I feel this is gonna get real ugly for competitive games from Nintendo as a whole in the future? Nintendo could start getting even harsher.

If they really did this because of people showing support for Smash, then that is a really dickish and petty move on Nintendo's part.

If they really did this because of people showing support for Smash, then that is a really dickish and petty move on Nintendo's part.
Given what people are supporting Smash for, I'm not surprised Nintendo would try to protect their image. Fans are basically bullying the company at this point, did you really expect Nintendo to just act like a Nintendoormat and let it happen?

They did it in a very bad way, I agree, but I'm not surprised they did anything at all to try and quiet it down.

Last edited:
Okay, again, where's the proof? Can no one give any proof? Of course, why would anyone want proof if it serves their purposes? Coincidence is not proof.

Okay, again, where's the proof? Can no one give any proof? Of course, why would anyone want proof if it serves their purposes? Coincidence is not proof.
You really think Nintendo would reveal they shut down a stream because of #SaveSmash?

That'll just make things worse for them.

It's fair to assume it's because of that though, since the team names and thus the hashtags would be shown to the public during the stream.

Last edited:
You really think Nintendo would reveal they shut down a stream because of #SaveSmash?

That'll just make things worse for them.

It's fair to assume it's because of that though, since the team names and thus the hashtags would be shown to the public during the stream.
But that's not proof. Most if not all of this seems to be hearsay and conjecture. Maybe that is why, though it's be pretty understandable for them not to want to give a platform to anti-them sentiment for such a minor event, but even then it's not proof, you can't confirm they did this. Where is this evidence spoken of? Is that it? What about these other "sources?" Are we supposed to just take anonymous voices on the internet and people with an axe to grind's word for it?

But that's not proof. Most if not all of this seems to be hearsay and conjecture. Maybe that is why, though it's be pretty understandable for them not to want to give a platform to anti-them sentiment for such a minor event, but even then it's not proof, you can't confirm they did this.
You can't confirm they didn't either.

The coincidence are so strong here that, again, it's fair to assume it's because of #SaveSmash until Nintendo does an actual statement that says why, since all the TOs got was that it was "executive decisions", so they know just as much as we do.

Where is this evidence spoken of? Is that it? What about these other "sources?" Are we supposed to just take anonymous voices on the internet and people with an axe to grind's word for it?
You must be new here because that's what this community always did.

Last edited:
You can't confirm they didn't either.

The coincidence are so strong here that, again, it's fair to assume it's because of #SaveSmash until Nintendo does an actual statement that says why, since all the TOs got was that it was "executive decisions", so they know just as much as we do.

You must be new here because that's what this community always did.
So in other words, we should take the words of people who don't actually know either?

What exactly did the Splatoon fans do to look so bad in your eyes?
I think he was referring to Nintendo and the Smash community?

So in other words, we should take the words of people who don't actually know either?
If they don't know why it's shut down, it's definitely suspicious, imo.

Why would Nintendo cancel the stream without telling the TOs why they're shutting it down? It's really weird, isn't it?

Last edited:
I think he was referring to Nintendo and the Smash community?

If they don't know why it's shut down, it's definitely suspicious, imo.

Why would Nintendo cancel the stream without telling the TOs why they're shutting it down? It's really weird, isn't it?
It is, but do you think they are doing themselves any favors? Not just this, but all these accusations. Especially when the Melee community probably isn't everyone's favorite community.

It is, but do you think they are doing themselves any favors? Not just this, but all these accusations. Especially when the Melee community probably isn't everyone's favorite community.
There was no way for Nintendo to do anything that put themselves in an advantageous position, but doing something is better than letting themselves be stepped on like a Nintendoormat. (I like that joke so much I'm using it twice :V)

There was no way for Nintendo to do anything that put themselves in an advantageous position, but doing something is better than letting themselves be stepped on like a Nintendoormat. (I like that joke so much I'm using it twice :V)
I meant the accusers. If people already find Melee elitist, do you think flying off the handle is going to win them support outside of these groups?

Last edited:
They're silencing anyone that disagrees with them even if they play other games, huh?

"If you won't bend the knee to how we want you to have fun with our games then NOBODY gets to have fun with our games!"

You can love their creative products they produce, but don't love companies. They are here to make a profit at the end of the day, they are not your friend even if you have an emotional attachment to their products.
Remember - don't just separate art from artist, but also separate artist (and in turn art) from corporation. It's very rare you'll find an overlap between business guys and creatives (unless we're talking about 1980s cartoons), and the artists who bring quality products to life should be supported even if the publisher isn't that good.

The 1st amendment of what in Japan?
He was referring to the American one, which promotes free speech.

But there's a massive misconception with that amendment; it only applies to the government, but Americans tend to think it applies to everything.

Nintendo may have handled things terribly lately, but let's not say things about them that aren't true to begin with or based entirely on lies or misconceptions, as this can cause criticizing to devolve into bullying, which I believe it already has when it comes to how the Smash community thinks of Nintendo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom