• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018

This morning, much of the Smash community awoke to a surprise when Nintendo announced the return of the Super Smash Bros. Invitational.

This is the second such invitational that Nintendo has organized after the original in 2014. The event will once again be held in Los Angeles, California the same week as E3, running on June 11th and 12th alongside the Splatoon 2 World Championship. Just as the first invitational gave top players from previous Smash games a chance to try out Super Smash Bros. for Wii U early, it's likely that this invitational will do the same with the new Super Smash Bros. title coming out for the Switch.

Much like Smash for Switch, very little has been revealed about the invitational, though we can expect the venue, the host of the event and the players and commentators in attendance to be revealed over the coming weeks.

Scribe

Comments

Now THIS is gonna be hype. Hopefully the finals won't be like how they were back in the Sm4sh invitational oh so long ago... that really set a bad tone for it back in the day (if i remember correctly.)

So glad I finished my military service just in time for a brand new competitive scene! Couldn't get into Smash 4 due to my many deployments and constant traveling + being in the middle of the ocean every summer + winter.

Come on Kirby, please don't let me down...

I'm mostly looking forward to this the way I looked at the Sm4sh original. It's basically going to be a publicly-broadcast alpha playtest by pro players, and it is going to be jank as hell and broke AF.

I went to the first Invitational! It was the hypest thing ever. I lost my voice yelling in the audience. I cosplayed Palutena the day she was revealed at E3, so that was awesome. I saw a woman dressed as Dark Pit, but I didn't get to talk to her. If you somehow read this, amiga, I wanted to take a picture with you at the time, haha.

I still have the voting booklet they gave that had pictures of the roster on it. People kept voting for Pikachu. Anyone remember that?

Anyways, I'll try to go again this time. No cosplay though. It was hot as heck waiting in line and that green wig didn't help.

Also, keep in mind that the version of the game at the Invitational isn't the final build. Gameplay (or at least balance changes) will be noticeably different from the release version.

Last edited:
we know next to nothing about this new edition of Smash bros, and yet there's going to be an invitational tournament for it... the game's likely going to be in a prototype phase, and I'd probably have more than enough to pay for a Switch if I went on every thread here, and glanced at Facebook relating to just this announcement and got $1 for every count of the word "hype" that was posted by every fan...

seriously, this promotional smokescreen is getting irritating... at least Smash 4 had some kind of gameplay trailer showing off both the Wii U and 3DS versions before there was even an announcement of THAT invitational event.

Last edited:
we know next to nothing about this new edition of Smash bros, and yet there's going to be an invitational tournament for it... the game's likely going to be in a prototype phase, and I'd probably have more than enough to pay for a Switch if I went on every thread here, and glanced at Facebook relating to just this announcement and got $1 for every count of the word "hype" that was posted by every fan...

seriously, this promotional smokescreen is getting irritating... at least Smash 4 had some kind of gameplay trailer showing off both the Wii U and 3DS versions before there was even an announcement of THAT invitational event.
It’s very likely there will be a smash direct sometime before then invitational similar to the last one. And this game has been in the making for about 2 years now, so I think it’s likely past prototype.

It’s very likely there will be a smash direct sometime before then invitational similar to the last one. And this game has been in the making for about 2 years now, so I think it’s likely past prototype.
I wouldn't doubt it... my issue comes from how discussion on Smash 4, as it is right now and what to do next with it, gets completely tossed out when discussion of this new game sparks up. if they were really serious about all the so-called issues with Smash 4, I'd think of seeing more speculative discussion on things beyond than just "who's the next third party newcomer" or "what Sm4sh character is staying"?

very seldom am I seeing discussion about gameplay itself for this new iteration... and among that, it's typically saying "it's reusing Sm4sh's gameplay" and very little detail beyond that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom