• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Online Event Starring the Fighters from Kirby and Donkey Kong!

Void_vs_Kong.jpg

The official Japanese Smash Bros. Twitter account recently announced an online tournament event for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate focusing on a clash between the Kirby and Donkey Kong franchises.

The event will start on May 1st, run till May 4th, and has the following ruleset:
  • Game mode is Time set to 2:30
  • Items are on medium
  • Final Smash Meter is on
  • Available stages are Kongo Jungle, Kongo Falls, Jungle Japes, Halberd, Fountain of Dreams, Green Greens, Dream Land, and Dream Land GB
  • Available characters are :ultkirby:, :ultmetaknight:, :ultkingdedede:, :ultdk:, :ultdiddy:, and :ultkrool:
Players can expect to earn a spirit as a prize for playing, and the strength of that spirit will depend on how many battles they’re able to win!

Author’s Note: Personally, I won’t be participating because I hate playing online (and even if I wanted to I can’t due to my current housing situation) but I think it’s pretty darn cool that they’re doing this. I also absolutely adore the art Nintendo made for this event, it really pops! But what do you think of this? Please let us know in the comments below!

Mitchell "Zerp" Brenkus

Comments

D
Time to play only Meta Knight cause Kirby & King are the 2 worst characters in the game lmfao
People who play these two baffle me to Hades and back. though you’ll have to be more specific about which king you’re talking about.

Why can't they just have these kind of tournaments except 1v1? For me, laggy free for all tournaments with items on are the reason I don't play online

I like Kirby, But I'm a bigger fan of Donkey Kong as it's one of my Top 3 favorite Nintendo/Video Game franchises overall (Next to Pokemon and Mario) so gotta go with the DK crew.

- Their Bigger !!!

- Faster !!!

- And Stronger Too !!!

- Team Kirby look out because you are screwed !!!

Last edited:
People who play these two baffle me to Hades and back. though you’ll have to be more specific about which king you’re talking about.
Oh yeah, I guess K Rool is a king huh...

The reason people play bad characters is because they're character loyalists. I love the Kirby franchise so I'm always gonna play Kirby characters. I'll play Kirby casually, and MK when I want to actually try taking a stock or two off my opponent lol

Whoever wins gets a newcomer.

Nah, but it's interesting that they chose these two. They often get compared, are roughly the same popularity wise with DK being bigger in the west and Kirby bigger in the east.
One is considered the hardest platformer series Nintendo has and the other the easiest platformer series they own.
Also both have their main character, their antagonist and their ally as playables too

Thematically I really like this.

Whoever wins gets a newcomer.

Nah, but it's interesting that they chose these two. They often get compared, are roughly the same popularity wise with DK being bigger in the west and Kirby bigger in the east.
One is considered the hardest platformer series Nintendo has and the other the easiest platformer series they own.
Also both have their main character, their antagonist and their ally as playables too

Thematically I really like this.
And both are some of the most underrepresented series in the game. Both series could have had 5 or 6 characters each but they're stuck at 3 (especially Kirby that has a wide cast of characters with very unique fighting styles).

Last edited:
And both are some of the most underrepresented series in the game. Both series could have had 5 or 6 characters each but they're stuck at 3 (especially Kirby that has a wide cast of characters with very unique fighting styles).
Exactly. People have wanted Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee for years at this point and Sakurai still refuses to add them.

Exactly. People have wanted Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee for years at this point and Sakurai still refuses to add them.
To be fair, Dixie was not added in favor of King K Rool, fans made a big noise for that character. Though, it's less a matter of who and more a matter of how much content from those series in general (not just characters), and the balance in representation. Kirby has got quite some stuff with the Marx boss and some items and stages, but all of them come from the usual 4 games, Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby's Adventure, Kirby Superstar and Kirby Air Ride (that, coincidence or not, are the only games that Sakurai directed himself); other games rarely get referenced... it took 2 Smash games of people asking to make Dedede's final smash Masked Dedede.

Adding one character is not enough, they added K Rool and DK is still missing Dixie, if they added Dixie people would have complained of no K Rool.
They should add enough characters to each series to make them feel complete... and don't let me start on the Bandana Dee debate.

There are many Kirby characters who would be very fun to play as, and people are still obsessed with the one who weilds a traditional weapon. The Dark Matter trilogy is still not represented aside of a few spirits and a couple of songs (2 low effort ports, one is a remix but it was made more than a decade ago, the other is an N64 midi port). Modern Kirby has much more to offer than just Bandana Waddle Dee, too.

In my opinion Kirby would be perfect with 6 characters, 5 originals and 1 echo (obviously Galacta Knight); for the 5 originals, I would personally add Magolor and Adeleine, one to represent modern kirby (and final bosses), and one to represent the Dark Matter trilogy (and several classic enemies including Kracko). People want Bandana Dee, so Bandana Dee and Adeleine would be a nice compromise to make everyone happy, but I really think that Magolor would be a much better modern rep than Bandana Dee (I think Dee would work better as one of those advanced assist trophies than as an actual character, and Rick, Kine and Coo have been important enough in the history of the franchise to at least deserve an assist trophy too, they even got a spinoff series in Kirby Star Stacker).
Technically, the Kirby series is one of those where you have lots of options, heck even freaking Chef Kawasaki would be an interesting fighter if tweaked in the right way; too bad it only has 3 characters.

For DK, it's a lot easier. Just add Dixie, Cranky (yes) and echo Funky, and that's all the series needs characters-wise. 6 (5+1) characters one, 6 (5+1) characters the other... it will probably never happen because it's more likely that a reboot comes first and we'll get less characters instead of more. (I would also take a reboot as long as it actually improves the game and brings innovation; I'm all for quality over quantity).

Last edited:
Top Bottom