• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces New Dedicated Gaming Platform, Codename 'NX'

What do you think of Nintendo branching out into mobile gaming?

• Awesome!

Votes: 138 23.6%
  • It's pretty cool.

Votes: 274 46.9%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 172 29.5%

• Total voters

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
Considering the quote of widespread smartphone. Will they release a Nintendo-store (or Nintendo-apps on Google Play/App Store)?

If that's the case, will they make their phone run Android? 'Cause why would someone buy their Nintendo-limited phone if you can get both Nintendo and Android on any Android-device.

Or are they going to make a new smartphone for just Nintendo-games and try making it go widespread?

Not sure if that's going to sell, it's just a DS without the top screen.

Or they could make it Android, with custom hardware, so Nintendo-games can't run in any other device than their own. But the Nintendo-phone could still run other Android-apps.

Princess_Emilu

Smash Cadet
As long as Nintendo doesn't shift focus to be exclusively about mobile gaming, then this is a pretty good announcement. Nintendo could make some solid mobile games on the side, and while they make easy money from the mobile market, they can focus on the games they love developing without having to worry too much about profits from those.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully they bring NES games onto mobile devices. I think they would run real well on a smartphone and tablet.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
True, but why lose money just because you can? The Wii U is still not as much of a success as they wanted it to be, so if they have this idea that they think can get them more green, why not go for it?
I know the mobile idea would net them green. I can attest to the fact that I've spent so much money on freemium games, like "Brave Frontier" and "Soccer Spirits". Imagine the amount of microtransactions between the countless number of Nintendo fans who would DL the mobile games.

Hell, Nintendo already got a head start in that aspect with "Pokémon Shuffle" (or "Candy Crush: Pokémon Edition").

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Nintendo announced a thing, but they didn't say what it was. It's to keep people interested in their dying company.
So, this new console doesn't support Wii U or 3DS games?

I really hope Nintendo is not going to be primarily focusing on mobile games...

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Come back to the PM thread, Kink, we miss you. :[
I would if I still played PM. I've not been too keen on the changes since 2.1, and while I'm glad the custom built animations have been smoothed since 3.0, the last-minute content cuts that pervade each release make me more and more apprehensive toward redownloading everything and setting it back up each time there's an update.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
So, this new console doesn't support Wii U or 3DS games?

I really hope Nintendo is not going to be primarily focusing on mobile games...
I doubt it's a new console, personally. I think it may be Nintendo's version of PSN or Xbox Live and not a new console, hence why it says it's part of the WiiU/3DS "family"; it's the new online functionality that encompasses both those systems and the smartphone, not an entirely new machine.

Unless it's like Nintendo's going back to the Genesis days and making addons to the WiiU to improve it's lifespan. :p

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Enlighten me then. Assuming this NX truly is a new console, why would they announce one this soon when the Wii U is still too new? I would imagine they'd wait until near the end of this current gen before announcing a new console.

The whole mobile thing is fine; it's the system thing that's a head-scratcher for me. It could be implied they're playing catchup with PS4 and Xbox One in the hardware department, but who knows? Unless it's a steam-like system, in which case, it'd be rather interesting.

What would Nintendo care? They have so much money, that they can lose millions every year for 20 years, and still be a juggernaut financially.
Companies start research and development on next generation consoles literally immediately after the current generation launches. "NX", if it is the next generation home console, has been in development for at least over 28 months. We probably won't hear anything about it after this until either E3 2016 or the tokyo game show (iirc, that's the other expo where nintendo reveals big stuff) later that same year, with a launch probably not happening until 2017. Iwata KNOWS everyone is saying nintendo is doomed, and coupled with this announcement it served a dual purpose. To let people know that they have something better than the wii u coming, and to let people know they aren't abandoning the home console market in favor of the smartdevice market.

Considering a 2017 time frame, not only is this more than enough time for the wii u to mature, it's not early enough for nintendo to "cut the umbilical cord" and make the exact same mistake that sega did back in the 80s/90s that was a major factor in what caused the video game crash of that period. Cutting off the wii u early would hurt their brand irreparably compared to reviving it with a game library that is so far looking 99% AAA because there's NO REASON for people to sink hundreds into a system they'll have to replace less than 4 years down the line, especially in the age of ridiculous competition where everyone has a smartphone and games on that platform are the hottest **** on the block financially. Nintendo might be able to outlast a nuclear holocaust with a money umbrella but that doesn't mean they're going to make decisions that their competitors made in the past that backfire just because they can take a hit.

Nintendo has been around for over a century. They know exactly what they're doing, even if some of their public policy is as old as they are.

Also, nintendo couldn't care less about competing directly with M$/sony in a hardware battle (and those two companies are obviously going to go with the steam box route next generation anyway), and it definitely couldn't give two ****s about making a steam box, which is a device completely centered around the internet. Nintendo doesn't do internet.

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
What you just mentioned doesn't indicate that Nintendo is going down soon, only that it isn't as profitable as it was before.

You obviously never bothered doing the research so here are some fun facts: Nintendo has so much money from their previous successes that they can run at $250 million deficit and still survive as a company till 2052, and even then they also have around $6 billion in properties, equipment and investments. Once that runs out, then you can start pointing out their downfall which could be in 60 years from now and assuming they decide to just sit over their butts.
So in reality they can afford risky moves like this instead of playing it safe like the other two giants, even if it doesn't always pays off. Nintendo is nowhere being extinct, but don't worry, you are not the first nor will be the last anti Nintendo fanboy who is wrong about this.

*cue the desperate rebuttals trying to downplay this fact*

We'll see who can tell the future. I intend to believe my statements better. Thanks.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Nintendo stock has breached $20 and almost doubled in 2 days. Hasn't been this high since 2011. Enough said.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Hopefully if the NX is thier next gen console, and replaces the Wii U, Nintendo doesn't repeat their mistakes they made with Wii U, not gimping their hardware for a gimmick, tor targeting the Angry Birds and Candy Crush Saga crowd, the same shortsighted approaches they had with the Wii U and Wii,
And if the NX is not a replacement, here's an idea, the NX is aimed at a more mature audience than the Wii U, maybe the Wii U will be their inexpensive family friendly option, while the NX is more or less, designed to compete with the PS4, it actually wouldn't be a bad strategy,

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
RIP Nintendo.

inb4 Smash 5 is just tapping a screen to do a random input

edit: can't forget microtransactions. All characters except Mario are DLC, you get 5 free matches per day and you need to pay 99 cents for every match after that.

Last edited:

<Green>

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrabbyGuy
Apparently Nintendo's stock soared when they said they would make stuff for smartphones.
it went up 4 or 5 bucks

EDIT: it is now up to 22 dollars or so, which is almost double. My information was a few days old.

Last edited:

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
You guys obviously seem to be forgetting that Nintendo is a company. The purpose of a company is to make money, especially considering the type of competitive environment there is when being a video game company....... But honestly though, I think some of you guys are a little too afraid of change. Nintendo is not "dead". Nintendo is not going to sell out either like some of you think they will. They're trying to get back out there after the failure of the Wii U. Instead of making baseless assumptions, let's just wait out and see how this turns out.

Soul.

wwell everywhere on the internet I look, everyone's screeming "wii U successor"
It's false information. The NX will be most likely a third pillar (again, just like GBA, GCN and DS back in 2004). They are just assuming the NX will be a home console when no one, except Nintendo in their headquarters, know the form factor.

D

Deleted member

It's false information. The NX will be most likely a third pillar (again, just like GBA, GCN and DS back in 2004). They are just assuming the NX will be a home console when no one, except Nintendo in their headquarters, know the form factor.
Following release logic, the NX would be the next portable system. I don't think Nintendo would introduce a new home console first.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
And why is Nintendo doing this for money a bad thing? Nintendo is a company and, therefore, revenue is first in thier priorities. If this can turn a profit, then Nintendo will continue with in developing and pouring resources into it. Maybe it's not what you personally want to see but maybe Nintendo views this is a smart business move and the next logical step forward.
It's a low swoop to go down to, and it's exactly what SEGA is doing after their huge loss due to the abomination that is "Sonic Boom." They need to create something new and fresh and innovative if they want to get the mainstream's attention again, instead of being "Just for kiddies" in the eyes of gamers today.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
It's a low swoop to go down to, and it's exactly what SEGA is doing after their huge loss due to the abomination that is "Sonic Boom." They need to create something new and fresh and innovative if they want to get the mainstream's attention again, instead of being "Just for kiddies" in the eyes of gamers today.
Except that Nintendo isn't focusing most of their attention of the mobile platform...

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
Woohoo, nothing like playing Metroid Pinball on a phone...yay...

SheikAshii

Smash Rookie
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
3DS FC
2724-0512-3513
So I think Smash Nxt is pretty cool too. I hope Splatoon girl makes a return

Top Bottom