• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Nintendo Of America 2014 Nintendo Announces National Smash 3DS Tournament

Xiivi

So much for friendship huh...
Premium
BRoomer
Nintendo of America announced today that they will be holding tournaments across the United States at 15 participating GameStop locations on October 4th, 2014. In addition to these 15 GameStops, the Nintendo World Store in New York City will also be holding an event. The tournaments will be capped at 64 total players and will be on a first-come, first-served basis - they will start at 11AM local time. Many Smashers are expected to show up extremely early in order to guarantee themselves a spot in one of the tournaments. The final tournament, held in New York, will be streamed on Nintendo's Twitch channel live on October 11, 2014 at 6PM ET.

Participants who win one of the 16 qualifying tournaments will receive a paid trip to New York to play in the National Open event. Rules have been revealed - players will be using custom characters and moves as part of the tournament experience. Of note, the launch of Super Smash Brothers 3DS occurs the same weekend at The Big House 4, which has over 500 players confirmed registered including most of the best Super Smash Brothers Melee talent in the world. Many of the local GameStop tournaments will be without some of the strongest players.

These tournaments are reminiscent of 2008 when Super Smash Brothers Brawl was released and Nintendo and GameStop held country-wide qualifiers. That year's tournament was won by Lee Martin who would become well known for his success in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. The locations for the tournaments are below:
GameStop
  • Winfield Shopping Center
  • 966 Blossom Hill Road
  • San Jose, CA 95123
GameStop
  • Anaheim Town Center
  • 2004 East Lincoln Ave.
  • Anaheim, CA 92806
GameStop
  • c/o Barnes & Noble
  • 960 S. Colorado Blvd.
  • Denver, CO 80246

GameStop
  • The Brickyard S/C
  • 6451 W. Diversey Parkway, Suite G-9
  • Chicago, IL 60707
GameStop
  • Dedham Mall
  • 336 Providence Highway
  • Dedham, MA 02026
GameStop
  • St. John’s Plaza
  • 9150 Baltimore National Pike, Suite 16
  • Ellicott City, MD 21042
GameStop
  • SWM Skibo S/C
  • 1590 Skibo Road
  • Bonnie Doone, NC 28303
GameStop
  • 32 E. 14th Street
  • 32 E. 14th St.
  • New York, NY 10003
GameStop
  • Bellevue Square
  • 242 Bellevue Square
  • Bellevue, WA 98004
GameStop
  • Tower Shops
  • 2140 S. University Drive
  • Davie, FL 33324
GameStop
  • Lake Brandon Shoppes
  • 11025 Causeway Blvd.
  • Brandon, FL 33511
GameStop
  • SWM Sand Lake Corner
  • 8115 S. John Young Parkway
  • Orlando, FL 32819
GameStop
  • Chamblee Village
  • 1841 Chamblee Tucker Rd., Suite 3A
  • Chamblee, GA 30341
GameStop
  • c/o Barnes & Noble
  • 3003 W. Holcombe Blvd.
  • Houston, TX 77025
GameStop
  • c/o Barnes & Noble
  • 2201 Preston Rd., Suite E
  • Plano, TX 75093
Nintendo World
  • 10 Rockefeller Plaza
  • New York, NY 10020
Nintendo Press Release said:
NATIONAL TOURNAMENT SERIES CELEBRATING SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS LAUNCH KICKS OFF OCT. 4

Sept. 25, 2014

Fans that have what it takes to compete with the best Super Smash Bros. players in the country are about to get a chance to win a trip to New York to show off their skills. On Saturday, Oct. 4, a day after theSuper Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, 15 GameStop stores around the country (as well as the Nintendo World store in New York) will host local tournaments for the newly launched all-star fighting game featuring three rounds of four-player battles.

Participants for the 64-player local tournaments on Oct. 4 are selected on a first-come, first-served basis with no pre-registration required. Participants may bring their own Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 2DS systems and/or Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS games to the tournaments, but are not required to do so.

The winners of each local tournament will win a trip to New York to participate in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament at Nintendo World on Oct. 11, which will be broadcast live on Nintendo’s channels on Twitch and YouTube starting at 6 p.m. ET. During the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament, character customization will play an important role in the action, allowing the top 16 players to engage in an all-out, no-holds-barred battle showcasing all the game has to offer.

The winner of the final tournament will not only bask in the glory of victory, but also win a trophy and champion’s robe. Additional details on how fans can attend the event at Nintendo World will be announced in the future. Nintendo World will also be giving fans an opportunity to purchase Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS before its nationwide launch. Starting at 8 p.m. ET on Oct. 2, Nintendo World will host a smashing fan gathering, allowing attendees to be among the first to purchase Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

Each local tournament will begin at 11 a.m. local time on Oct. 4. The participating locations and starting times for each local tournament are as follows:

Address

GameStop

Winfield Shopping Center

966 Blossom Hill Road

San Jose, CA 95123

GameStop

Anaheim Town Center

2004 East Lincoln Ave.

Anaheim, CA 92806

GameStop

c/o Barnes & Noble

960 S. Colorado Blvd.

Denver, CO 80246

GameStop

The Brickyard S/C

6451 W. Diversey Parkway, Suite G-9

Chicago, IL 60707

GameStop

Dedham Mall

336 Providence Highway

Dedham, MA 02026

GameStop

St. John’s Plaza

9150 Baltimore National Pike, Suite 16

Ellicott City, MD 21042

GameStop

SWM Skibo S/C

1590 Skibo Road

Bonnie Doone, NC 28303

GameStop

32 E. 14th Street

32 E. 14th St.

New York, NY 10003

GameStop

Bellevue Square

242 Bellevue Square

Bellevue, WA 98004

GameStop

Tower Shops

2140 S. University Drive

Davie, FL 33324

GameStop

Lake Brandon Shoppes

11025 Causeway Blvd.

Brandon, FL 33511

GameStop

SWM Sand Lake Corner

8115 S. John Young Parkway

Orlando, FL 32819

GameStop

Chamblee Village

1841 Chamblee Tucker Rd., Suite 3A

Chamblee, GA 30341

GameStop

c/o Barnes & Noble

3003 W. Holcombe Blvd.

Houston, TX 77025

GameStop

c/o Barnes & Noble

2201 Preston Rd., Suite E

Plano, TX 75093

Nintendo World

10 Rockefeller Plaza

New York, NY 10020

On Sept. 27, to give fans time to practice for the main event, 100 GameStop locations around the country (including the 15 listed above) will offer visitors the opportunity to enjoy the same demo version of the game that is currently available in the Nintendo eShop.

Additional terms and conditions apply to the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament series. For full rules and details, visit http://smashbros.nintendo.com/rules/.

For more information about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us/.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Eh, no locations near me, so maybe so, maybe not.

Acryte

Smash Ace
LOL lame. I thought this was a good step until it said capped at 64 players, first come first serve. *****-footing around.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
LOL lame. I thought this was a good step until it said capped at 64 players, first come first serve. *****-footing around.
That's almost a thousand participants. Do you realize how expensive that alone is? What with all the travel expenses, advertising, management, etc.

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
That's almost a thousand participants. Do you realize how expensive that alone is? What with all the travel expenses, advertising, management, etc.
Huh I must have missed something. What are you talking about? A thousand? There are 16 tournaments of 64 people. Travel expenses are for the winner of each tournament. That means only 16 people will be flown from wherever they live. 16 plane tickets vs the money Nintendo plans on making from smash 3ds. That's basically zero to them. Also, making the tournaments capped at 64 people is primarily because they want to use gamestops and don't want to impose on their working hours by forcing them to have multi-day tourneys or by occupying the space and diminishing the day's sales (especially since gamestops aren't that large, so 64 people is about all they could fit inside them under their residential fire code I'd assume). I understand primarily why they capped it at 64, it just sucks for dense residential areas that have a ton of people who want to participate.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I'd go. IF I DIDN'T LIVE IN MASSACHUSETTS WHERE NOTHING NICE EVER HAPPENS TO US!

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
Sounds good, nothing like a legit tournament experience to commemorate the first portable Super Smash Brothers

Capped at 64 players makes it even better and will hopefully fill that many at all locations

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Whoa, I just realized...

You get the 3DSXL and the money before you win the national tournament.

Now I'm interested.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I remember the 2008 tournament. Timed matches with wiimote+nunchuk controls enforced. It was actually awesome. Everyone was stumbling over themselves and attacking so clumsily. We all looked like newbs. Our particular gamestop even catered chipotle burritos for all the participants. Such a good time. My only regret was that they were still sold out of Wii at the time, so all I could do was gaze longingly at the disk once I got home. XD

I will definitely support this tournament. I hope Nintendo will continue to sponsor events if the turnout is good. Even if someone final smashes me out of the first round, I love the excitement that this kind of unpredictable event brings.

ThunderThor77

Smash Rookie
Does anyone know where to get the release form that a parent must sign for a minor to participate in the tournament?

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
If only i didn't work on Saturdays :(( I would have gone to Chicago easy!

GUIGUI

Smash Journeyman
Is there any coverage of those events? Any stream? I can't participate, but I'd like to have a look of how ell the player are doing?

Any streaming? even if it is just a cam-over.

Elmavel

Smash Rookie
I like how Nintendo is holding smash tournaments, I really like this. I have the hope that they also host them in latin america when they launch the wii U version. Well I may be asking too much

Top Bottom