• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces National Smash 3DS Tournament

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Nintendo of America announced today that they will be holding tournaments across the United States at 15 participating GameStop locations on October 4th, 2014. In addition to these 15 GameStops, the Nintendo World Store in New York City will also be holding an event. The tournaments will be capped at 64 total players and will be on a first-come, first-served basis - they will start at 11AM local time. Many Smashers are expected to show up extremely early in order to guarantee themselves a spot in one of the tournaments. The final tournament, held in New York, will be streamed on Nintendo's Twitch channel live on October 11, 2014 at 6PM ET.

Participants who win one of the 16 qualifying tournaments will receive a paid trip to New York to play in the National Open event. Rules have been revealed - players will be using custom characters and moves as part of the tournament experience. Of note, the launch of Super Smash Brothers 3DS occurs the same weekend at The Big House 4, which has over 500 players confirmed registered including most of the best Super Smash Brothers Melee talent in the world. Many of the local GameStop tournaments will be without some of the strongest players.

These tournaments are reminiscent of 2008 when Super Smash Brothers Brawl was released and Nintendo and GameStop held country-wide qualifiers. That year's tournament was won by Lee Martin who would become well known for his success in Super Smash Brothers Brawl. The locations for the tournaments are below:
GameStop
  • Winfield Shopping Center
  • 966 Blossom Hill Road
  • San Jose, CA 95123
GameStop
  • Anaheim Town Center
  • 2004 East Lincoln Ave.
  • Anaheim, CA 92806
GameStop
  • c/o Barnes & Noble
  • 960 S. Colorado Blvd.
  • Denver, CO 80246

GameStop
  • The Brickyard S/C
  • 6451 W. Diversey Parkway, Suite G-9
  • Chicago, IL 60707
GameStop
  • Dedham Mall
  • 336 Providence Highway
  • Dedham, MA 02026
GameStop
  • St. John’s Plaza
  • 9150 Baltimore National Pike, Suite 16
  • Ellicott City, MD 21042
GameStop
  • SWM Skibo S/C
  • 1590 Skibo Road
  • Bonnie Doone, NC 28303
GameStop
  • 32 E. 14th Street
  • 32 E. 14th St.
  • New York, NY 10003
GameStop
  • Bellevue Square
  • 242 Bellevue Square
  • Bellevue, WA 98004
GameStop
  • Tower Shops
  • 2140 S. University Drive
  • Davie, FL 33324
GameStop
  • Lake Brandon Shoppes
  • 11025 Causeway Blvd.
  • Brandon, FL 33511
GameStop
  • SWM Sand Lake Corner
  • 8115 S. John Young Parkway
  • Orlando, FL 32819
GameStop
  • Chamblee Village
  • 1841 Chamblee Tucker Rd., Suite 3A
  • Chamblee, GA 30341
GameStop
  • c/o Barnes & Noble
  • 3003 W. Holcombe Blvd.
  • Houston, TX 77025
GameStop
  • c/o Barnes & Noble
  • 2201 Preston Rd., Suite E
  • Plano, TX 75093
Nintendo World
  • 10 Rockefeller Plaza
  • New York, NY 10020
Nintendo Press Release said:
NATIONAL TOURNAMENT SERIES CELEBRATING SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS LAUNCH KICKS OFF OCT. 4

Sept. 25, 2014

Fans that have what it takes to compete with the best Super Smash Bros. players in the country are about to get a chance to win a trip to New York to show off their skills. On Saturday, Oct. 4, a day after theSuper Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, 15 GameStop stores around the country (as well as the Nintendo World store in New York) will host local tournaments for the newly launched all-star fighting game featuring three rounds of four-player battles.

Participants for the 64-player local tournaments on Oct. 4 are selected on a first-come, first-served basis with no pre-registration required. Participants may bring their own Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 2DS systems and/or Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS games to the tournaments, but are not required to do so.

The winners of each local tournament will win a trip to New York to participate in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament at Nintendo World on Oct. 11, which will be broadcast live on Nintendo’s channels on Twitch and YouTube starting at 6 p.m. ET. During the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament, character customization will play an important role in the action, allowing the top 16 players to engage in an all-out, no-holds-barred battle showcasing all the game has to offer.

The winner of the final tournament will not only bask in the glory of victory, but also win a trophy and champion’s robe. Additional details on how fans can attend the event at Nintendo World will be announced in the future. Nintendo World will also be giving fans an opportunity to purchase Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS before its nationwide launch. Starting at 8 p.m. ET on Oct. 2, Nintendo World will host a smashing fan gathering, allowing attendees to be among the first to purchase Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.

Each local tournament will begin at 11 a.m. local time on Oct. 4. The participating locations and starting times for each local tournament are as follows:

Address

GameStop

Winfield Shopping Center

966 Blossom Hill Road

San Jose, CA 95123

GameStop

Anaheim Town Center

2004 East Lincoln Ave.

Anaheim, CA 92806

GameStop

c/o Barnes & Noble

960 S. Colorado Blvd.

Denver, CO 80246

GameStop

The Brickyard S/C

6451 W. Diversey Parkway, Suite G-9

Chicago, IL 60707

GameStop

Dedham Mall

336 Providence Highway

Dedham, MA 02026

GameStop

St. John’s Plaza

9150 Baltimore National Pike, Suite 16

Ellicott City, MD 21042

GameStop

SWM Skibo S/C

1590 Skibo Road

Bonnie Doone, NC 28303

GameStop

32 E. 14th Street

32 E. 14th St.

New York, NY 10003

GameStop

Bellevue Square

242 Bellevue Square

Bellevue, WA 98004

GameStop

Tower Shops

2140 S. University Drive

Davie, FL 33324

GameStop

Lake Brandon Shoppes

11025 Causeway Blvd.

Brandon, FL 33511

GameStop

SWM Sand Lake Corner

8115 S. John Young Parkway

Orlando, FL 32819

GameStop

Chamblee Village

1841 Chamblee Tucker Rd., Suite 3A

Chamblee, GA 30341

GameStop

c/o Barnes & Noble

3003 W. Holcombe Blvd.

Houston, TX 77025

GameStop

c/o Barnes & Noble

2201 Preston Rd., Suite E

Plano, TX 75093

Nintendo World

10 Rockefeller Plaza

New York, NY 10020

On Sept. 27, to give fans time to practice for the main event, 100 GameStop locations around the country (including the 15 listed above) will offer visitors the opportunity to enjoy the same demo version of the game that is currently available in the Nintendo eShop.

Additional terms and conditions apply to the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament series. For full rules and details, visit http://smashbros.nintendo.com/rules/.

For more information about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us/.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Well it's nice to see that Ninty is following through from the invitational. This is really cool, hopefully we'll see more things like this in the future. Maybe in Europe too, that'd be great.

Last edited:

zanryo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zanryo
3DS FC
3711-8361-4706
If this will be a regular thing, itll be awesome

Kamikam70

Smash Cadet
First tournament with custom moves... Interesting.

By the way, I wonder if the tournaments on 3DS and Wii U will have both custom On and custom OFF rankings and tier lists. Twice as much tournaments !

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Could any of these be in CANADA FOR ONCE?
I WANNA PLAY SMASH BROS. AS LITTLE MAC FOR ONCE, THANK YOU.

D

Deleted member

I'm taking Plano.

Swiggty swooty, give me the girl gamer booty.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hey, there's one in the Atlanta area.

Maybe I'll go see about striking it big here.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
There's one an hour away. Must secure transportation.

SSBJavi

Smash Rookie
Nice , this look epic but sadly they never do something in Puerto Rico :(

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Sorry, can't go. High School happens and I only have a permit.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Same. *commits sudoku*
Hey, number puzzles aren't that bad!

I wish there were a bit more in the midwest, but I have really appreciated the effort Nintendo has made to start a tournament scene.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I can win a paid trip to New York?

Good thing I live there!

Still going to enter for the chance of winning a trophy and robe, even though the second date is during NYCC…

What were they thinking there? Let's host a tournament in NY during NYCC… Sounds like bad scheduling.

:093:

Senario

Smash Ace
Forget it. Dat ruleset is silly and the same day as bighouse? I'm gonna watch the big house.

I dont want to think it but if Nintendo is trying to directly compete with the established competitive community they are going to have a problem.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Why does the one in MA have to be in Dedham? The one in Boston is huge...and easier for me to get to...

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Interesting rulesets, I like that they're allowing customized characters. Unfortunately for Nintendo, many of the hard-core competitive Smashers, the ones who really put in the hours of work to become the best at the game, will simply dismiss the tournament because "hurr durr items on 4-player score is for casualfags".

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Oh wow, those rules are crazy. Character locking and customization locking? That's intense. I guess we'll finally find what customized character tournaments look like.

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
I'm no good at tourney play. As Pit would say: "You're not ready yet."
I did go to ONE though. I was Fox and I got my butt handed to me. It didn't end well for ANYONE though because the final two both decided to use Meta Knight and then this happened:

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Interesting rulesets, I like that they're allowing customized characters. Unfortunately for Nintendo, many of the hard-core competitive Smashers, the ones who really put in the hours of work to become the best at the game, will simply dismiss the tournament because "hurr durr items on 4-player score is for casual****".
More like the winner is determined randomly rather than by skill. Also most pro smashers will be at the big house tournament on th same day.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Forget it. Dat ruleset is silly and the same day as bighouse? I'm gonna watch the big house.

I dont want to think it but if Nintendo is trying to directly compete with the established competitive community they are going to have a problem.
Agreed. I'm personally 100% uninterested in Nintendo's tournaments so far, both because of the lame formats and the gameplay quality overall. I don't like this whole first come, first serve thing, it just means we'd most likely get tons of below average players making the stream boring as hell to watch. I don't like the free-for-all format either, it doesn't seem like it's a test of skill between players but rather an easy and quick way to progress the tournament effortlessly, it's boring. I'll have way more fun playing the game myself than watch 4 possibly awful players fight in all sorts of gimmicky stages (which is pretty much what the 3DS version is made up of).

Also, willing to bet Scar is yet again going to be a commentator, Nintendo keeps riding him for whatever reason ever since the invitational happened. What about D1 or maybe even other players, why is it just Scar all the time?

Last edited:

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
I'm glad Nintendo's doing stuff like that but part of me wishes they had it structured better even if items were kept on I rather see 1 v 1 with stock.

Ohwell. Same day as big house anyway so i much rather be watching that then a bunch of casual players play free for all..i could go on youtube if i wanted that.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
OK people, help me decide.
Should I go to the NYC 14th ST Gamestop, which is closer to me, or the actual Nintendo World Store?

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
The Nintendo World Store is just 20 minutes away from me.

Heckle yeah, I'm making my debut for the first time. :D

Top Bottom