• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces European Championship

European_Smash_team_Cup.jpg
On Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019, Nintendo announced their very first European championship for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, with some weird choice of rules.

First of all, the Smash Ball’s turned on, so everyone has access to their full-power Final Smash.While this seems like an odd choice (given that there’s the option to use the FS Meter), it’s probably a decision made with spectators in mind. Additionally, the formats supported by the championship are not the usual 1v1. Along with the often seen 2v2 tournament format, the european championship will include 3v3 Squad Strike and Smashdown brackets.

While the rules presented by Nintendo are certainly not what we expected, it’s still an interesting choice that could prove to be a fun event to watch. With players from many european countries competing, it seems like the perfect opportunity for players to get their chance in the spotlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alberto "RedNova" Vásquez

Comments

There is no way Nintendo will ever fully embrace the competitive scene we have created but at least these tournaments have the potential to become a gateway to the more refined competitions that have been running for decades. I'll check it out and watch what I can, but don't know if I'll be able to stomach a whole lot of smash ball and smash meter antics.

Top Bottom