• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249

Index

3DS General
General Information
Pros and Cons
Should I Buy One?

News Center
Conferences
Recent Announcements
Best Games Right Now
BOLO Games

F.A.Q.

3DS General

General Info

The 3DS is Nintendo’s latest attempt at a stereoscopic gaming device. It creates an autostereoscopic effect by way of feeding different images to the left and right eyes. It comes in black, light blue, and red and is priced $169.99.

Pros/Cons

Pros:
-3D without glasses
-Universal Friendcodes
-Decent graphics
-Streetpass allows users to exchange content
-Spotpass allows users to receive messages from Nintendo or friends when connected to WiFi
-Swap notes is a pseudo SMS system
-Supports Multitasking
-Supports Augmented Reality
-Game demos will be available soon
-Supports DLC
- Can take pictures and record in 3D

Cons:
-Inadequate battery life
-3D may hurt eyes/ cause headaches
*Smashboards and its associates are not responsible for any damage done to your eyes, occipital lobe, or cerebral cortex while playing with this device.
-Prolonged usage may cause hand cramps
-Doesn’t Support 3G
-Friendcode system isn’t completely abolished yet
-One circle pad
-Redesign imminent

Should I Buy One?
This is a difficult question because no one can really tell you if you’ll like it or not. The best thing you can do is look at the main features and the software and make a decision. If you are fascinated by the 3D concept and can’t wait to get your hands on Mario 3D Land, then yeah, you should get one. If you’re on the fence then you should wait for more games and the redesign that we all know will happen.

News Center

Conferences
There are no announced conferences coming up in March 2012
The last Nintendo Direct was held on 02/22/12

Recent Announcements
-Fire Emblem 13 will support DLC
-Kid Icarus comes with a stand to rest the 3DS on
-Preordering KI: Uprising lets you download the kid Icarus 3D classic
-Kirby’s Dreamland and Dr. Mario express can be bought on club Nintendo with coins
-Swap notes is available for download

Best Games Right Now
Retail:
1) Mario Kart 7
2) Ocarina Of Time 3D
3) Super Mario 3D Land
*will update with gameplay trailers when I get off my phone and on a computer.
Download:
1) Four Swords
2) Pushmo
3) Mighty Swith Force

BOLO Games
Retail:
-Resident Evil Revelations 2/7
-Shin Megami Tensi: Devil Survivor 2/14
-Tales of the Abyss 2/14
-Tekken 3D: Prime Edition
-Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater 2/21

Download
-Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword 2/2
-Dillon’s Rooling Western 2/22

F.A.Q.

Should I buy a 3DS?
-Only if you can’t wait for a redesign.

Where can I buy the GBA games?
-You only can if you’re an ambassador in which case they’ll be in the 3Ds shop under settings in my downloads.

Can we ban People that ask if they should buy a 3DS?
-Only if it makes you happy

Can we ban people who can’t take jokes?
-*see above

Can I get yo numba?
1848-1876-3249

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
One small step towards Holograms. Rather interested how they're getting it to work without glasses.

Expect "highly detailed graphics, and it will be necessary to have a sensor with the ability to read the movements of people playing", which was mentioned in an interview in january.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Yay@holding off and not buying a DSi. You know when the 4th iteration of a Nintendo handheld is here that the next full version is coming soon lol.

I'm just having trouble imagining what 3D portable gaming will be like, and how touch + 3D could be done at the same time.

A_man13

Smash Master
This will either be cool or worthless depending on how they use it.

How 3D glasses have always worked is by giving you one perspective from one eye and another on the opposite eye and, when processed by the brain, it says 3D. With the double screens they might be able to pull something like this off.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Example of how it may work

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWAg1s7xfz0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWAg1s7xfz0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="385"></embed></object>

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
how does it sense the tilting??

but i never thought of the 3d working like that, with making things appear being further back sans glasses instead of being furhter out, like normal

A_man13

Smash Master
I agree with Chibo here. This would be better than things popping out (but, then again, I could see it in a pokemon game). As with anything, it's how they'd use it that matters. If the feature is designed well and it has uses outside of hidden object games, cool. Otherwise, we'd have to wait and see what Nintendo will do with their flagship titles in conjunction. They might do something cool or it might be a train wreck waiting to happen. I'm sorry, but I'm not 100% sure I'd like to see a 3D mario game unless the 3D works both when held laterally and physically (that would be a possibly cool camera control if they could, but then again my hands aren't very steady and the game would be shaking practically).

UberMario

Smash Master
Yay@holding off and not buying a DSi. You know when the 4th iteration of a Nintendo handheld is here that the next full version is coming soon lol.
So true, lol. And I'm really happy that they're going to make the DSi downloadable games available for the 3DS, because that was the only remotely interesting reason I'd buy the DSi, since I already have a digital camera, although I wonder if the 3DS will have a camera also, or will that WarioWare game that uses the DSi camera be unavailable.

And if the games are anywhere as epic looking graphic-wise as that DS game shown above (which makes the screen feel like a portal to another world, which looks so awesome) I'd snap it up, especially if it has [presumably] Gamecube-quality graphics. I really hope that's how the 3D effect works.:bee:

Also, I think we can figure out what game system Pokemon Silicon and Pokemon Carbon* will be for. :lick:

*=Not real names.

Darkslash

Smash Master

but i never thought of the 3d working like that, with making things appear being further back sans glasses instead of being furhter out, like normal
From what I recall, it's putting that crappy camera to good use. The camera is used for the tilting as a image change equals a tilt.

Or in other words move the DSi, image changes, game compensates.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I would assume with detected movement form the DSi camera.

EDIT:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/nintendo-3ds-to-come-with-3d-control-stick-vibration-and-sha/ said:
]Asahi in Japan offers the first word on how the 3DS achieves its 3D-ness by suggesting that the new portable game machine with feature a parallax barrier LCD from Sharp. The tech has apparently already been deployed in a few cellphones over there and is described as "unsuitable" for large-screen TVs. This is corroborated by Nikkei, which suggests that the screens on the new device will be smaller than 4 inches diagonally, placing it closer to the DSi than the 4.2-inch DSi XL / LL. Other news from the latter source include so-called 3D control stick(s), though it's not entirely clear whether this'll be anything massively new or just a pair of analog nubs for us to push around. Either way, Nintendo is said to have secured patents for the new control methodology in Japan late last year. The Nikkei article also mentions improvements in WiFi transfers and battery life, as well as a new vibration function.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
Finally.

I never actually bought the DSi because really there was no reason too since there were no DSi specific games (other than those you could download, which wouldn't be worth the purchase anyways). Now that this system is out I have a reason to buy a new DS. AND it has backwards compatibility.

The 3d thing looks cool -- hopefully it's not going to be a gimmick that will overtake the games themselves, though.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Wait, I'm pretty sure this is the new handheld consol guys. Ya know, there IS a new pokemon game coming out an all, that basically signals that this is considered a "new gen" in handheld.

As for the 3D being a gimck, I thoguht the same thing until I went to a theather to see Coraline and experienced it myself. Its not about things jumping out at you, its about the world existing on a 3D plane, which adds a depth the likes you've never experienced. Its almost like watching a super magnified play with close ups and a moving stage.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The 3d thing looks cool -- hopefully it's not going to be a gimmick that will overtake the games themselves, though.

This is my main concern with it. I'm sure some developers will be able to make good use of it, but I just hope that its not used too much.

Wait, I'm pretty sure this is the new handheld consol guys.

We already know that since Nintendo confirmed that it will be the next gen handheld.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm seriously about to have a heart attack if they implement what I just saw in that video in the next gen. of Pokemon.

Just picture full on 3d-looking Pokmeon battles. Oh my god.

/hype

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I'm seriously about to have a heart attack if they implement what I just saw in that video in the next gen. of Pokemon.

Just picture full on 3d-looking Pokmeon battles. Oh my god.

/hype

Agreed.

I think its exactly the change the pokemon series needs. From reports though, developers have already gotten their hands on the development kit (which makes sense if this thing is releasing this year/early next year) and its supposedly an amazing piece of hardware. There is no proof of this (just an rumor) but if its true I have high hopes for the system.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Meh.

As one of the few people here who does not own a DS, I think I'd rather get a cheaper DSi than this.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I **** bricks.

Who saw this coming? I mean, I expected a DS2 at E3, but just out of the blue we get this MEGATON. Insanity.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well I still have the original Lite, which is slowly dying one me so I might get this 3DS.

The 3D-ness looks very interesting / cool though. Amazing what Nintendo is aiming for.

-Terywj

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

Agreed.

I think its exactly the change the pokemon series needs. From reports though, developers have already gotten their hands on the development kit (which makes sense if this thing is releasing this year/early next year)
Nintendo said it will be released sometime during Nintendo’s next financial year (Apr 2010 – March 2011).

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Wow. That... is something amazing. I sincerely hope that it'll be implemented into games subtly instead of turning it into a full on gimmick. This could be insane for giving depth to a game's world.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
My thoughts quoted from basically every other forum I go on;

now then the DS is probably my favorite handheld console so I don't really mind a lack of gameplay innovation since this sounds better than the announcement about containing motion sensors + It matters to me more if the titles are innovative. I just really hope the 3D isn't overused a lot or when it's used it's actually used to improve gameplay, or better yet, optional.

For the rest it's neat to see at least an analog stick and rumored gamecube like graphics from a week back; Opens up the door to a good deal of potential

So on one hand we don't have anything particularly to shun this out yet based on the news we've gotten about it, and some of the news, or at least the rumored stuff sounds at least decent.

on the other hand considering how the phat played compared to the DSlite I'm heavily afraid that they'll make a partly half-arsed controller scheme or find something to mess up upon and then make a really good one 2 years later with improvements that will force me to buy the same system twice. I hated having to sell my DS as soon as possible for a Lite.

We only have 3 months to go and i have enough on my hands right now just on gaming on it's own so I'll wait patiently.

Darkslash

Smash Master
You know, this is really eerie. I got the DS Lite because my Gameboy Micro met the end of its Ion Lithium battery. I got my DSi because my DS Lite got water clogged. And now my DSi is seemingly nearing the end of it's life, and a new DS is announced.

Haha dammit Nintendo. You're hand helds keep dying in convenient times.

UberMario

Smash Master
Meh.

As one of the few people here who does not own a DS, I think I'd rather get a cheaper DSi than this.
You might as well wait or get the original for cheap, I read that it is most likely going to be compatible with DSiWare and DS cartridges, and the DSi doesn't have a GBA slot so it pretty much will be obsolete if the new system has cameras.

Sun-Wukong

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was planning on getting a DSi XL to replace my old DS Phat (which I already gave to my brother, I'm currently piggy-backing off of my other brother's DS Phat), but this is a bit of a game changer.

I for one love 3D and am really exited to see how this turns out.

D

Deleted member

I regretted getting an Nintendo DSi.

This looks very promising right off the bat and we have little information of it. Good thing I'll probably be getting a job in a few weeks because I hope it really does deliever.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I got permission to bump this thread since were getting very close to E3 where this will be announced.

Not much news has been revealed but it has been confirmed that many people, including the EA head, has seen the 3DS. On top of this, there's rumors that the system will be close to PS3/360 levels.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Since additional information will be revealed at this year's E3 on the 3DS, I will pin/stick this thread.

Please keep all 3DS information/discussion/posts to this thread.

Mewter

Smash Master
Close to PS3/360 levels??
If they actually follow through with that... @_@ /rumorhype

Nintendo just wins with their portable systems!

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
How exactly does that work? I doubt it will have similar processing power, since it's smaller (and because it's Nintendo).

No idea. The comment was made by IGN based on reports from people working on games for the system. I personally doubt it but I wouldn't be shocked if graphic levels were past that of the wii. In fact, that would be amazing.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~

No idea. The comment was made by IGN based on reports from people working on games for the system. I personally doubt it but I wouldn't be shocked if graphic levels were past that of the wii. In fact, that would be amazing.
Just having such awesome graphics on the 3DS alone would be pretty powerful and give a boost to Nintendo's handhelds.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
There's rumors that a new Animal Crossing will be a launch title. Also saw something about a Mario Kart. Nothing about a SSB yet though sadly.

BlackLightning90

Smash Journeyman
They might mean processing capabilities as in CPU, not GPU. Plus, if it has HD it wouldn't work on the DS's screens and the battery life would be pretty awful. Some developers also said it doesn't feature a NVIDIA Tegra mobile chip.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Top Bottom