• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I actually like the gimmick of stickers in a paper based world. However, used as "cards" doesn't make sense to me much.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I understand that but the whole concept sounds very gimmicky overall to me... Especially the part where you need to find specific stickers just to get past certain boss fights. That just sounds silly.
Do you actually need specific stickers to beat them or do they just give you a nice advantage against them? I know in Thousand Year Door there was a badge that gave you a HUGE advantage against Hooktail, but even without the badge you could still win (it would be much more challenging) but you could still win.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Do you actually need specific stickers to beat them or do they just give you a nice advantage against them? I know in Thousand Year Door there was a badge that gave you a HUGE advantage against Hooktail, but even without the badge you could still win (it would be much more challenging) but you could still win.
According to the review you can't even get past certain boss fights without specific stickers, so if you don't have a needed sticker during a boss encounter then you're pretty much **** out of luck. :\

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
According to the review you can't even get past certain boss fights without specific stickers, so if you don't have a needed sticker during a boss encounter then you're pretty much **** out of luck. :\
That's unfortunate, though I think I'll still give the game a chance. Even if some of the story elements are gone, I might enjoy exploring areas more.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I bought the new Harvest Moon because it comes with a Yak plushie.

Only preorders were suppose to come with the Yak, but the thing at Walmart online said it comes with the Yak

The Yak is totally going to look awesome with my Llama plushie from the previous game

Though the last game was horrible

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Also, Crashmo, the sequel to Pushmo came out a couple of days ago. After playing so much Pushmo, playing Crashmo is a challenge.

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is there like a sticker box or something in paper mario? I want to put the rare stickers somewhere so I don't use them

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
But that consumes the sticker. Don't worry about using up rare stickers. You'll practically be drowning in them by the end of the game.

Sticker Star was amazing. I just finished it two days ago. Waited until late last week to download it from the eShop. After playing for a while I don't know why I waited. The first thing I want to say is that this game gets a lot of bad reviews for not being what PM64/TTYD were, and it's completely undeserved. Sure, its story is negligible and there aren't any partners, but I'll be damned if it doesn't have immense charm still. It kept me smiling the whole way through. That's fine with me considering that the game's length is appropriate for a handheld. If it were longer, then a lack of a deeper story/characters might have hurt, but it's only 6 chapters long.

As for the combat system, PsychoIncarnate nailed it- your stickers act as consumable cards. But AAAAAH it makes me want to rip my hair out when people complain about it. There's such an abundance of stickers that it's not likely for you to run out. There are going to be exceedingly rare times where you wouldn't be able to do the exact same as the first two Paper Mario games, just with stickers instead of menu commands. Managing the higher powered stickers is similar to managing FP. I honestly don't know why people are complaining about this.

You also don't gain experience or level up in the traditional RPG sense, not that Paper Mario games have ever been full-blown RPG's anyway. What happens instead is that you gain HP+ hearts throughout the worlds that increase your HP, and at the end of every chapter you gain another page to your Sticker Book (think of it as a gain in FP, where you're able to use powerful attacks more often. Total there are 8 pages, and you'd be hard-pressed to go through even 4 in a single chapter). Many say that this removes the point of battling. "Why battle if you don't need to?" Uhh, because it's fun! Battling in this game is much more streamlined and fast paced which makes battles go by like a breeze. And there's always a new type of sticker to try out. As you progress through chapters, weaker enemies like plain goombas and koopas can be stomped on and killed without even entering a battle so you don't have to waste stickers on them when revisiting old stages.
Oh, and the bosses can be defeated without specific stickers. I don't recommend it considering some bosses will have large amounts of HP while your attacks will only be doing between 5-20 damage each turn. It's usually obvious which "thing" sticker to use against bosses to expose their weakness, though, like a large fishhook when you're battling a giant cheep-cheep that refuses to surface, or an oven against a snow boss.

This wasn't supposed to be a review of the game. My goal was to dispel all this unfounded hate for the game. It's not like 64 or TTYD, but it's not fair to hate a game that takes a new direction simply because it's not what you were expecting. It's an amazing game in its own right with lots of charm in its stages, its dialogue, and its battles. Of course some people will genuinely not like it for whatever reason, and that's dandy! It's just disheartening to see so many people lambasting it BEFORE THEY'VE EVEN PLAYED IT in most cases, while those who have played it have not given it a fair chance because they were expecting something else even though the game is still a great addition to the series. It's like some people are resistant to having fun if a game is different in any way. :/ Please, if you're undecided, I highly recommend Sticker Star. It's a good 18-20 hours of Paper Mario goodness.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
18-20? I logged 30ish in the other paper marios, the first one getting around 40ish..

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
How does that make sense? I put 70 hours into KH3D, 25 into MK7, and 42 in Zelda OoT lol

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Getting 25 hours out of Mario Kart is like saying TF2 is a long game because you have 600 hours played. Also, you named a whole THREE games, a minuscule fraction of all the 3DS games out there.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
If I was talking about Pokemon or something I'd agree, but those 25 hours were solely to unlock the stuff, not be competitive.

I was also only naming Nintendo IP cause it seemed short for a Nintendo game. (Yes, I'm aware KH didn't belong)

But even still, Heroes of Ruin and Final Fantasy: Theaterythm(sp) both were well over 30.Tales of the Abyss was like 80hours, though that's a Tales game so I dismissed it tbh.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kingdom Hearts I logged hours like crazy...

and I still never got my T-Rex

that makes me sad

I actually CAN make a T-rex, but it's a low grade one

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
KH 3D was an okay game at best. It had its ups and down, but I just wanted to beat it and get through it as quickly as possible.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
20 is a lot? I feel bad if I don't play a game for at least 50 hours...
That's why I kinda dislike 3D Land, 30 hours and there is not one thing for me to do anymore, unless I want to do a speed run or something.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just got the Midnight Purple 3DS and all I can say is that it's super sexy

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When it comes in a sexy midnight purple I'll care

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I just care for being able to play the game and the 3ds xl is just aesthetics right?

I'm planning in buying a 3DS. Hoping for a good deal, i might buy it used if i can't a good deal for a new one. Don't really wanna spend that much

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I just care for being able to play the game and the 3ds xl is just aesthetics right?

I'm planning in buying a 3DS. Hoping for a good deal, i might buy it used if i can't a good deal for a new one. Don't really wanna spend that much
From what I've heard the 3DS XL's batteries last longer than the original 3DS.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah, longer battery. That would be nice if the thing wasn't so big.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
the screen also has anti glare, remapped home/power buttons, and a better quality screen... :(

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
****, I would really dig that anti-glare screen so much. Glare is the one thing I despise on my 3DS right now.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been playing the new Harvest Moon, mostly got it so I could get a stuffed Yak (It goes nicely with my Harvest Moon stuffed Alpaca)

It's not bad. Not as good as Super Nintendo or N64 Harvest Moon, but it's a head in the right direction for the series after the previous game was HORRIBLE.

I still prefer the hard work you had to do to remove rocks and logs from your run down field in Super and N64 version. I liked having my hard work in the game feel rewarding when I have fields of plants.

In this version, you are given fields (Which can can edit and move around at will after the second month) and to get more fields you will have to work to clear your land. Plus you can only have so many things on your land, so if you add more fields, you might have to no get something else. Plus you have to micromanage how much of what you have.

I only have 6 fields of grass, sunflowers, tomatoes, and wheat...along with my cows my energy is drained doing that by 8 in the morning. What I guess is I have to save some stuff for food, instead of selling all of it. Tomatoes are my favorite thing to plant since they aren't completely removed once they grow and grow on a steady rate after that, though don't give as much money as other plants. (I never actually raised tomatoes in this game yet, but I have in past games and that's how they worked, they work the same according to what I read) -I actually HATE the taste of tomatoes IRL though.

In past games, I always devoted the first year to getting the love interest of my choice, but so far in this game there hasn't been any love interests, unless the blacksmith girl is a love interest. You start in a town at the edge of ruin and with very little people there. You have to help the town thrive before more people come, so I'm guessing I just have wait to start working on the love interest.

Helping the town thrive just cost me 100,000 gold. Which sounds like a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's actually Yen, and not gold. Things cost a lot of "Gold" and you get a lot of "Gold" from stuff. 1 Cow is 100,000 "Gold"

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
To some people this system felt rushed : |
I have no doubt that the system was rushed. Crappy launch lineup of games, some features were missing and to be available later via updates . . . it was definitely rushed out. They should've waited a few months before releasing the 3DS.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The new harvest moon should be called a "Bug Hunter" sim instead of a farming sim.

I spend most of my days collecting bugs and frogs for money instead of raising plants.

Maybe when I achieve higher tier things I can start calling it more of a farming sim

Edit: Oh that is just awesome. I won the cow festival, and my prize was a cow in the old art style of harvest moon. Yeah it's out of place with the more "realistic" styled cows, but it's still awesome non the less

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Really happy about this. Guess I'll pick up a 3DS when the next revision comes out for these games.
Only two games I'm hoping for a localization announcement are Bravely Default and Project X Zone.

Not holding my breath for the latter, but the 3DS finally has quite a few games I want.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I got a reg 3DS used for just $80. Really happy about that. Playing Mario Kart 7 and OoT 3D at the moment. So far very impressed with this, I think I'm gonna get a lot of enjoyment out of this. Its been a while since I was excited for handheld gaming.

pickle962

Smash Lord
Got a 3ds and three games to go with it for christmas. Two mario games and kid icarus uprising. The latter being the best of the bunch IMO.

Top Bottom