• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nikki (Swapnote / Swapdoodle) for Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo Switch

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Meet Nikki! Doodler extraordinaire!

Nikki? Who's that?
Nikki is the mascot for the "Nikki & Friends" franchise (as referred to in the Nintendo Badge Arcade), which has 3 titles.
She really enjoys doodling and writing to her friends through the Nintendo 3DS applications Swapnote and Swapdoodle. Upon opening up either application, she will send players tips on how to use each one. These notes would unlock tools in each app to provide more options to create notes or doodles through them. Even after players receive all of her notes regarding how to use the applications, she would still send them messages during holidays or noteworthy anniversaries (such as her birthday). In Swapdoodle, players can purchase doodle lessons where she will teach them how to draw certain things. Sometimes, if it's Nintendo related, she may wear a hat in reference to the franchise the subject material is from.

Nikki does have one other title under her belt, the Japanese Club Nintendo exclusive game Nikki's Travel Quiz. Where she and her friends, Cat and Panda, would travel Japan and ask the player questions regarding the regions they visit.

She has also made a few other appearances:
- On the Nintendo News Section of their Japanese and European websites, Nikki has explained how to create a NNID, use amiibo in Super Smash Brothers for Wii U, and promoted the Nintendo Badge Arcade as well.
- In Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone! she taught players how to draw a Goomba using pastels.
- In Super Mario Maker she appeared as a Costume Mario option at the game's launch. Super Mario Maker curiously also has an image of Nikki in it's game files, alongside some beta Splatoon files as well.
- In the Nintendo Badge Arcade, Nikki makes repeated appearances, with new badges created for the game quite often. There are a few sets of badges that crossover with other Nintendo franchises as well. The other two characters who share this trait are Isabelle (Animal Crossing) and Ashley (WarioWare).

Why add her into Smash Brothers? What can she offer?
Smash Brothers is a franchise that prides itself with having a roster of a variety of characters who all have unique traits and hail from very different worlds. Nikki certainly may not be the most popular Nintendo character out of their core franchises, but if they continued to use her throughout the past several years (especially after Swapnote's abrupt discontinuation) it's clear that the company acknowledges some notable fanbase for the character. It may also be worth mentioning that references to a series emblem named "Diary" were found among series emblems present in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Nikki's name in Japanese means Diary, so it may be a stretch to say this, but it is possible that Pictochat 2 could be a reskin of a planned Swapnote stage. The reason for turning it into Pictochat 2 though, is quite obvious. As Nintendo discontinued the spotpass service for Swapnote in response to notable misuse of it in Japan. At the very least, it was possible that we were supposed to see her in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS in some fashion. Most likely as a trophy.
Relevance is only one factor, though. How would you make her fit in? What would make her a unique character among the roster? Nikki may just be a girl who loves to draw and help people out, but her tools for doing that is what makes her stand out.

The tool of Nikki's trade is a Nintendo 3DS!
This would fit Nikki in as a character who would be filed as the "Hardware representative". Where characters like Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt stand from a design and character standpoint (Duck Hunt especially in this case). This would give Nikki a fighting-artist archetype, where she creates doodles through her 3DS that come to life through the power of stereoscopic 3D. Something not currently represented in the Smash franchise. As good art generally takes time to make, her strong attacks involving doodles would most likely have a lengthy start-up. Perhaps incorporating a special move that allows her to Sketch out Doodles would help lower the time it would take to attack. Additionally, letting her write and leave notes that float on the battlefield that could stun opponents as they "read" them, may assist fixing this inherent flaw in her design. Making her a power-up fighter with a set-up/trap focus. Sharing small similarities to PAC-MAN or Duck Hunt with stage control.

When it comes to aesthetic design, Nikki is designed to pretty much be another player of a game. She is represented in Swapnote and Swapdoodle by a Mii, like any other player would be. So she would either most likely be ecstatic to be among some of her fictional heroes or be absolutely terrified and have no idea what is going on. This allows for some humorous attack animations where she may appear to be attacking, but is in fact doing something else (i.e. waving hello, tripping, sneezing etc.). Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 does something very similar, where all of his attack animations will continue after the point you can cancel them so you can see what he was actually trying to do. But the basis of her design would still be to share her art with the others around her. You can even have her playing other games for taunts or idle animations, or sneak in some references to titles through her drawings in several of her attacks.

Movesets

Jab could be 2 horizontal swipes and then a thrust with a 3DS stylus, ftilt: a sneeze, has little endlag but if you don't move you can see her shiver for a second, dtilt: Nikki crouches and takes a picture of something on the ground, the picture flash does damage, and utilt: Nikki throws confetti into the air.

Smash attacks could involve Panda and Cat, like for instance dsmash can have both of them come out of the ground on either side of Nikki as she strikes a pose with both her hands in the air.

Specials are where she'll truly shine though. Neutral special could simply be called AR Draw. When you press B, Nikki will take out her 3DS and a thought bubble would appear above her head and cycle through the different things she can draw. Upon pressing B again, the bubble disappears and Nikki will do a short animation of her drawing on the 3DS. Pressing B a 3rd time will summon whatever the drawing was through the AR camera on her 3DS into the fight. I've also thought of a few things she could summon.
A rain cloud: Nikki summons it just above and in front of her head. it slowly rises and lets a stream of raindrops fall that do damage but no hitstun. After about 5 seconds it releases a single bolt of lightning that does slight knockback and disappears.
A cannon: essentially the cannon enemy Shotzo from Kirby. summoned right in front of Nikki, it shoots a slow moving cannonball straight forward that does minimal knockback. It does this 5 times in succession before disappearing unless it's hit enough times.
A flying swapdoodle note: summoned above and in front, floats slowly forwards then upwards quickly in an arc. Slight knockback and damage, probably the first summon of the special.

Side special could be Nikki throwing a paper airplane in an arc. She holds it so long as B is held and can aim it up to a certain angle to change the trajectory.

Up special can be Nikki getting into a drawn rocket, complete with little window. It explodes at the same distance each time and Nikki freefalls afterwards.

Down Special could be a Swapnote landmine where she drops a letter on the ground and either Panda or Cat pop out of it if it's stepped on.

I'd like to see her as being a harassing summoner type character that works with setups and traps to maximise damage.

If you have any ideas, please share! I'd be happy to put them up here.

Nikki's Doodle Pals
AEMehr AEMehr
Luminario Luminario
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan
Ghirahilda Ghirahilda
Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27
smashkirby smashkirby
Kirbeh Kirbeh
Caravan of Noobs Caravan of Noobs
smash puffle smash puffle
S SEGAGameBoy
@kool2419
@SquashiniKun
- - - - - - - - - - - -

That's pretty much it for now. I think she'd be a fun and unique addition to the cast, and that's not just because I like this character.​

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Before clicking on this thread I had absolutely no idea how Nikki would play besides as a Mii Brawler type character but when you mentioned the doodles it opened my eyes to her potential.
She could be a perfect trapper/sentry/summoner type character, like how Adeleine from Kirby would play where she would draw something and it would come to life. She could easily also rep other 3DS apps that would have no chance to see smash like Badge Arcade, Camera, Pictochat, christ even the eshop could influence some of her moveset (with the cute yellow shopping bag guy). She'd be an entire 3DS rep. Her inclusion would be like WFT level of baffling but makes perfect sense I love it.
Would she stay in the cute 2D drawing style? or would she be made into a 3D model? I'd say she should stay as 2D because she's shaped like a friend and that style would make her truly stand out.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Before clicking on this thread I had absolutely no idea how Nikki would play besides as a Mii Brawler type character but when you mentioned the doodles it opened my eyes to her potential.
She could be a perfect trapper/sentry/summoner type character, like how Adeleine from Kirby would play where she would draw something and it would come to life. She could easily also rep other 3DS apps that would have no chance to see smash like Badge Arcade, Camera, Pictochat, christ even the eshop could influence some of her moveset (with the cute yellow shopping bag guy). She'd be an entire 3DS rep. Her inclusion would be like WFT level of baffling but makes perfect sense I love it.
Would she stay in the cute 2D drawing style? or would she be made into a 3D model? I'd say she should stay as 2D because she's shaped like a friend and that style would make her truly stand out.
Oh thank you for the complement! I'm glad you like the idea I had for her.

They would probably make her a 3D model regardless if she'll appear 2D or not, but given that she is probably just meant to be your average person I don't think they'd make her flat. That doesn't mean she still can't be shaped like a friend.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Even if you'd vs her in smash you know she's a friend she looks that friendly at all times.
I really think that her 2D pencil drawn design would truly make her stand out in the cast like G&W. She could have the panda and cat in her moveset (popping out of swapdoodle letter traps?) her neutral special could be a chargeable special like pacmans where each charge level has a different effect and it has her drawing on her 3DS as a thought bubble appears over her head showing what stage of the charge she's currently at, her up special could be her getting into a drawn rocket that flies up for a certain amount of time before exploding and having her free fall, her grab could be the Badge Arcade arm that pops out of nowhere from just above her head. I'm just throwing out ideas here there's tons to work with.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I definitely think she could draw her friends for Smash Attacks, and if you charge them they could be colored in as opposed to line art.

She has a lot of potential since she could really draw anything, so it would be hard to not make it too generic or too fan-servicey.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is it wrong that I like her?

And actually support her for Smash? Better than Amelia and the Reckless Wiimote Safety Man.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I really like those types of character! If Wii Fit Trainer is in SSB4, I can't see why Nikki can't enter the fray!
I'm in need of some fan arts and movesets ideas right now...

Luminario

Smash Lord
Moveset ideas? You're come to the right place~
Jab could be 2 horizontal swipes and then a thrust with a 3DS stylus, ftilt: a sneeze, has little endlag but if you don't move you can see her shiver for a second, dtilt: Nikki crouches and takes a picture of something on the ground, the picture flash does damage, and utilt: Nikki throws confetti into the air.

Smash attacks could involve Panda and Cat, like for instance dsmash can have both of them come out of the ground on either side of Nikki as she strikes a pose with both her hands in the air.

Specials are where she'll truly shine though. Neutral special could simply be called AR Draw. When you press B, Nikki will take out her 3DS and a thought bubble would appear above her head and cycle through the different things she can draw. Upon pressing B again, the bubble disappears and Nikki will do a short animation of her drawing on the 3DS. Pressing B a 3rd time will summon whatever the drawing was through the AR camera on her 3DS into the fight. I've also thought of a few things she could summon.
A rain cloud: Nikki summons it just above and in front of her head. it slowly rises and lets a stream of raindrops fall that do damage but no hitstun. After about 5 seconds it releases a single bolt of lightning that does slight knockback and disappears.
A cannon: essentially the cannon enemy Shotzo from Kirby. summoned right in front of Nikki, it shoots a slow moving cannonball straight forward that does minimal knockback. It does this 5 times in succession before disappearing unless it's hit enough times.
A flying swapdoodle note: summoned above and in front, floats slowly forwards then upwards quickly in an arc. Slight knockback and damage, probably the first summon of the special.

Side special could be Nikki throwing a paper airplane in an arc. She holds it so long as B is held and can aim it up to a certain angle to change the trajectory.

Up special can be Nikki getting into a drawn rocket, complete with little window. It explodes at the same distance each time and Nikki freefalls afterwards.

Down Special could be a Swapnote landmine where she drops a letter on the ground and either Panda or Cat pop out of it if it's stepped on.

I'd like to see her as being a harassing summoner type character that works with setups and traps to maximise damage.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Something neat today: Nikki had a crossover with Monster Hunter for new badges in Japan. Ashley and the Arcade Bunny both did as well.

And actually support her for Smash? Better than Amelia and the Reckless Wiimote Safety Man.
I would hope it's not wrong if you like her! This is a serious support thread lol. I think there's a bit more merit to Nikki than either of those two.
Moveset ideas? You're come to the right place~

Interesting choice in design! So you've decided to incorporate the Artist-motif with summoning. I like it!

Would you like me to add to the OP?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Something neat today: Nikki had a crossover with Monster Hunter for new badges in Japan. Ashley and the Arcade Bunny both did as well.

I would hope it's not wrong if you like her! This is a serious support thread lol. I think there's a bit more merit to Nikki than either of those two.

Interesting choice in design! So you've decided to incorporate the Artist-motif with summoning. I like it!

Yes I seriously support her and she has a hell lot more merit than those two ever will. I'm being completely serious here.

Because if we can't get Adeleine, we can get someone who's just as good with the same gimmick (drawing stuff to life).

Luminario

Smash Lord

Excellent I love collecting the Nikki badges. I feel that the Badge Arcade really does show off how likable she is as she's constantly having custom crossover badges being made alongside Ashley and Isabelle, 2 other fan favourite characters, both of which are essentially secondary representatives of their respective series.
And you can definitely add the moveset to the OP, though i still need to think a bit on her aerials, smashes, and grabs.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I support getting her in as a fighter but frankly I'd just be happy to get her as a non-mii 3D model as a Trophy, assist or otherwise.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Is there room for one more?

But not in the way that Nikki would want me reported from Swapnote (R.I.P.). :p

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Excellent I love collecting the Nikki badges. I feel that the Badge Arcade really does show off how likable she is as she's constantly having custom crossover badges being made alongside Ashley and Isabelle, 2 other fan favourite characters, both of which are essentially secondary representatives of their respective series.
I pick up the Nikki and Ashley badges when they show up. Very nice to see new artwork specifically for the service and they're pretty cute imo which is a plus.
And you can definitely add the moveset to the OP, though i still need to think a bit on her aerials, smashes, and grabs.
Then I've gone ahead and done so! Whenever you want to update it let me know and I'll update it on the OP as well.
I support getting her in as a fighter but frankly I'd just be happy to get her as a non-mii 3D model as a Trophy, assist or otherwise.
Trust me, I'm pretty much the same. I was so ecstatic about Dillon becoming an Assist Trophy because he got a entirely new HD model. It still looks so good!

As a fan of niche concepts / characters, I'll take what I can get lol.
Is there room for one more?
Of course, always got open arms for others interested i-
But not in the way that Nikki would want me reported from Swapnote (R.I.P.). :p
we don't talk about that

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd be happy to see her. I'd like to see more moveset ideas explored though, because although I really like her design, I not fully sure how she would work.

Luminario's moveset idea of an artistic summoner is good, but I'd like to see more ideas.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
This was a very interesting idea, I doubt this would happen other than maybe as a joke wii fit trainer-ish character but you never know.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm a little late on saying this, but the final new badges featuring Nikki were just released on the Badge Arcade a couple days ago.

If you haven't heard, the badge arcade will be receiving it's last set of new badges on the 26th this month because they literally ran out of space to add new ones.

Unfortunately that may seem to mean the convenience store and monster hunter themed badges may remain japanese exclusive badges, but who knows? Could just be a literal translation of the japanese message without considering the possibility of adding those too.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm a little late on saying this, but the final new badges featuring Nikki were just released on the Badge Arcade a couple days ago.

If you haven't heard, the badge arcade will be receiving it's last set of new badges on the 26th this month because they literally ran out of space to add new ones.

Unfortunately that may seem to mean the convenience store and monster hunter themed badges may remain japanese exclusive badges, but who knows? Could just be a literal translation of the japanese message without considering the possibility of adding those too.
I really hope they go through all the Japanese exclusive badges before it ends for us over here too, I really wanted those Ashley April Fools ones. At least the Badge Arcade isn't shutting down completely and will just cycle through the badges already available, or at least that's what I've been told.
Does anyone know how popular the Badge Arcade was anyway? Like, was it able to influence the popularity of Nikki? Ashley and Isabelle already have established fanbases but I'm not so sure about Nikki so the Badge Arcade might have helped out there.
Also just look at her, she's so talented she can do practically anything.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Nikki seems like she could make for quite an interesting character, and it's clear she has some decent popularity as well, so perhaps some Swapnote/Swapdoodle content has a fair chance. Support.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I could see it happen. That said, I don't like OP's idea. Doesn't seem that fun. I could see her as a character who represents the various applications of the 3DS. Might be more potential there.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well she draws, so, letting her fighting style revolve around drawing makes the most sense IMO.

There's no harm in some of these drawings reference Nintendo properties. She even teaches players how to draw other Nintendo characters, but if the focus of her playstyle isn't drawing it wouldn't really feel like Nikki. Doodles are her thing, after all.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I am still banking on Nikki as our surprise character.

She works too well to not be one and have gotten a ton of stuff for a Mii character.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm not sure I'd agree with "banking' on, but I'm definitely still hopeful!

A friend of mine that goes by Dogmin posted a little concept sheet of some moves he thinks Nikki could have. I hope he doesn't mind if I share it here.

Be wary checking his page, which I linked under his name, he tends to draw NSFW every and now then.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Nikki is a character I hadn't considered as a playable for Smash Switch but have fond memories of.

Heck she was in the first five Mii fighters I made in Sm4sh, but seeing her with a drawing move set would be fun.

I'm still surprised Nintendo isn't trying to erase her from history due to the unfortunate happenings with Swapnote and minors.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, during Smash 4's DLC period, I was half-expecting a Nikki Mii Swordfighter outfit as a joke outfit!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Not at all. I love female archetypes.

But she didnt make enough of a splash, and seems to be gone forever.

Though it would be nice if I could send messages from my Switch. A real way to use it for social media, even if its all Nintendo's way.
I'd love for my Switch to act as my D-Terminal. ...thats what it was called in digimon yeah?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Nikki is a character I hadn't considered as a playable for Smash Switch but have fond memories of.

Heck she was in the first five Mii fighters I made in Sm4sh, but seeing her with a drawing move set would be fun.

I'm still surprised Nintendo isn't trying to erase her from history due to the unfortunate happenings with Swapnote and minors.
That wasn't the character's doing lol, unless Nikki is the reason that happened I don't think there's precedent for them to want people to forget about her.
- - -
Honestly, during Smash 4's DLC period, I was half-expecting a Nikki Mii Swordfighter outfit as a joke outfit!
I was soooo hopeful you have no idea lol. Though I expected Gunner since she's been marketed as a Gunner before.

It'd just be her usual Cardigan and Skirt, but the arm cannon is replaced by a mailbox because why not.
- - -
Not at all. I love female archetypes.

But she didnt make enough of a splash, and seems to be gone forever.
um.. the last swapdoodle update was november?? 4 months ago???
I don't think "gone forever" is the right choice of words here lol

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
um.. the last swapdoodle update was november?? 4 months ago???
I don't think "gone forever" is the right choice of words here lol
Consider me schooled. I really thought they discontinued it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was soooo hopeful you have no idea lol. Though I expected Gunner since she's been marketed as a Gunner before.

It'd just be her usual Cardigan and Skirt, but the arm cannon is replaced by a mailbox because why not.
- - -
Holy crud! I've never seen this before! Can I take it that this art was made by Nintendo in celebration of Smash 4?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
I love Nikki. Didn't think much of her being in smash until reading this though. But now that I have read this sign me up. I like the idea of an artist fighter in general as I like to draw as well. Also she's cute and I don't think a character this cute should be forgotten.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I love Nikki. Didn't think much of her being in smash until reading this though. But now that I have read this sign me up. I like the idea of an artist fighter in general as I like to draw as well. Also she's cute and I don't think a character this cute should be forgotten.
I'm grateful to see you're fond of the idea as well! Thank you for sharing that.

I'll add you to the list of Doodle Pals on the OP.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Nikki is super cute and I love her dearly

Top Bottom