• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NiGHTS the Nightmaren of Nightopia

Pakky

Smash Hero

Supporters of Dreams
Pakky
MainJPW
Azure Warrior
ErenJager
Magikarpow
Freduardo
smashkirby
SonicSmasher1

Zoljinx
Hippopotasauce
Gene
zeldasmash

Overview

NiGHTS is a anhydrous Nightmaren from the game franchise of the same name. Its first appearance was on the Sega Saturn in the game "NiGHTS into Dreams- year 1996" which much later got an actual sequel on the WII called "NiGHTS journey of Dreams-year ". Other than those two games NiGHTS has either appeared or has been referenced in great number of Sonic the hedgehog games and Sega games. Personality wise they are carefree and mischievous, much like Sonic himself.

Abilities

Flight
This is NiGHTS' main ability that's featured thought out all of its appearances. It has the ability to soar gracefully through the air in a Peter Pan like fashion leaving a twinkly trail in its path. NIGHTS can also perform great acrobatic feats while soaring, the likes of somersaults and rolling tumbles are a breeze for this jesster, all the while its limbs leave yellow ribbon like streaks as they rush through the air. Speed wise, NIGHTS is supposedly as fast in the air as Sonic is on the ground.

Assimilation/Dualize
NiGHTS has the ability to Dualize with Visitors, with this NiGHTS and a Visitor can assimilate with one another or become in sync, to do this the two must touch or at least hold hands. While they are Dualized, the Visitor literally becomes NiGHTS and either one can be in control of the other's movements, mostly NiGHTS.

Drill Dash
NiGHTS can also use an attack called the Drill Dash, which is NiGHTS most basic attack. With this ability they are able to attack and defeat a simple 3rd level Nightmaren. The Drill Dash can also help NiGHTS move or fly twice as fast merely to catch up with Goodles in Nights: Journey of Dreams. The Drill Dash is a possible reference to Sonic the Hedgehog's Spin Dash as both abilities require a form of spinning(Sonic spins into a spiky ball while NiGHTS spins into a spiral or a screw) and can be used to attack enemies and move faster.

Strength
To some extent, NiGHTS is shown to have strength above that of a normal person as they can move objects and wound creatures (or in which case a Nightmaren) three to four times its size.

Persona Masks:
In the first game, NiGHTS shows the ability to transform into a bobsled, an ability that was expanded upon in the sequel with the introduction of Persona Masks. Each mask allows NiGHTS to change forms and abilities accordingly, including those of a dragon for gust resistance, a rocket for acceleration and a dolphin for swimming.

-Dolphin Persona
Gained after each child's first Nightopia, this persona gives NiGHTS the ability to swim in the shape of a dolphin.

-Rocket Persona
Gained after the second Nightopia, this persona allows NiGHTS to blast off at full speed in the shape of a rocket. This is also effective during the second fight with Cerberus to reach the middle head quickly.

-Dragon Persona
Gained after the third Nightopia, it allows NiGHTS to resist wind and keeps him/her from floating down when idle as a long-bodied dragon.

Transformation
Along with the Persona Masks, NiGHTS is also able to transform into a boat and a roller coaster, as well as rolling up in a ball to roll down slides

Paraloops
NiGHTS can create small portals called Paraloops with 'Twinkle Dust' emits from its hands by flying in a circle. This ability sends who or whatever gets sucked in to an unknown space, but in Nights: Journey of Dreams the Paraloop simply sends Nightopians(and apparently Nightmarens) to the My Dream world. This ability is also useful in collecting Blue Chips and certain other items. NiGHTS' Paraloop is considered as a hammerspace for the items s/he has collected and a portal to other locations for creatures.

Dream Flute
If counted as an ability, NiGHTS possesses what is called the Dream Flute, which is an invisible or otherwise an imaginary instrument that NiGHTS plays when they are alone usually to keep them calm, relaxed and at peace. When one hears NiGHTS playing the flute, the music is almost always the flute version of its own theme song "Dreams Dreams".

Night Mode
NiGHTS will send itself and the enemy into the night sky, in which NIGHTS will shoot a powerful blast of energy, then will make the moon shoot a beam of moonlight down on the target.

Physics
NiGHTS is known known for its ability to fly, therefore I would propose that this character, even doing its idle animation will always levitate.

In terms of size and weight I presume based on how NiGHTS stacks up to the children from their games that they wouldn't be much bigger than the more human sized characters in the game, so most likely they would be the same size or a little smaller than Zero Suit Samus.

Weight wise NiGHTS should be one of the lightest characters in the game, possibly the same weight as Game&Watch or at least slightly under Jigglypuff. This in turn should make up for any strengths that might seem unfair.
Playstyle wise NiGHTS should have excellent air game, the best aerials and the best mobility when in the air, more than any other character in the game.

They should be fairly fast, as fast as Sonic if possible, with as many jumps as Kirby.

Specials

Neutral B: Paraloop
NiGHTS loops around in a circle creating a paraloop. Said attack would have the ability to draw in and neutralize all incoming projectiles. The move also does a small amount of damage similar to Zelda's neutral B, minimal start up time, but moderate ending lag.
Percentage(s)
Head: 2%
Legs: 3%
Portal: 5%

Side B: Drill Dash
NiGHTS takes a charging stance as the corresponding are pressed. Once pressed NiGHTS will perform a drill dash forward. This attack is similar to Charizard's flare blitz travel at the same rate, however it will stop NiGHTS at the edge of the stage. The move also has 5% super armor. This has no recoil damage however, there is some start up lag, considering the charge up stance, but no ending lag.
Percentage(s) 10%

Up B: Rocket Persona
NiGTHS transforms into a rocket and shoots up vertically. They will explode when they make contact with an
opponent,and perform a graceful backflip into a helpless state. The move is a multi-hitter, doing a small percent upon contact before exploding, causing more damage. If NiGHTS is below a ledge and performs this move they will transform back into the default state and latch onto the stage.
Percentage(s)
Hit: 2%
Explosion: 5%

Down B: Dragon Persona Nights transforms into a dragon and spinning just above the ground releasing two wind projectiles that that shot from either side of them. The projectiles are similar to that of Kirby's up B. Afterwards NiGHTS changes back, this move has moderate ending lag, and the projectiles have a range similar to Kirby's up B. Percentage(s) 10%

Normals
Neutral
NiGTHS performs kicks while crossing their arms, these kicks loops ending with a finisher. Will knock out an opponent around 350%
Percentage(s)
1% (loop)
2% (last)

Up Tilt
NiGHTS does a full body spin upwards, this move can deliver knockback, and has little to no lag.
Percentage(s) 8%

Down Tilt
NiGHTS Performs a 180 degree horizontal spin kick, this move has moderate ending lag.
Percentage(s) 2.5%

Forward Tilt
NiGHTS performs as spinning push forward as they hover above the ground. This move has heavy knock back and ending lag, but will K.O. at around 148%
Percentage(s)8.5%

Dash Attack
NiGHTS transforms into a dolphin while performing a drill dash. This move has a bit of ending lag.
Percentage(s)6%

Forward Smash
NiGHTS spins forward performing a somersault as yellow streaks flow from their arms and legs .
Percentage(s)5%-10%

Up Smash
NiGHTS spins upward with their arms out as yellow streaks flow from their arms. This move has no ending lag and will kill at 120%
Percentage(s)10%-18%

Down Smash
NiGHTS will perform a rolling tumble towards the ground. This acts in a similar way to Sonic's up smash, it's just more focused on the ground than the air. It has the ability to hit 5-7 times.
Percentage(s) 2%-5% (hit 1), 1%-1.3% (hits 2-7), 2%-3.5% (hit 7)

Neutral Air
NiGTHS performs a full body spin with its limbs outstretched. No lag on this move at all.
Percentage(s) 11%

Forward Air
NiGTHS shoots forward leaving a trail of collapsed rings in its path. This move as no lag and if the head makes contact it will kill at around 110%
Percentage(s)
Head:20%
Rings: 5%

Back Air
NiGHTS performs a backstroke through the air swimming through a halve ring as it does so. This move has no lag, and if the head makes contact it will kill at around 100%
Ring:2%

Up Air
NiGHTS swims through several rings straight up into the air.
This move has no lag, and if the head makes contact it will kill at around 100%
Ring:2.5%

Down Air
NiGHTS swims through several rings straight down.
This move has no lag, and if the head makes contact it will kill at around 100%
Ring:2.5%

Grabs
Pummel
NiGHTS grabs the opponent and knees them.
Percentage(s)2%

Forward Throw
NiGTHS flies upward with the opponent performing a 180 degree turn in the air before dropping them on the stage.
Percentage(s) 8%

Up Throw
NiGHTS grabs the opponent and tosses them upward through a ring. This throw will kill at 156%.
Percentage(s) 10%

Back Throw
NiGHTS grabs the opponent and performs a backdrop throw, that launches the opponent.
Percentage(s) 6%

Down Throw
NiGTHS grabs the opponent and flies up and piledrives the opponent into the ground.
Percentage(s)9%

Recoveries
Floor Attack Front
NiGHTS performs a sweep kick
Percentage(s)2%

Floor Attack Back
NiGHTS performs a sweep kick
Percentage(s)2%

Floor Attack Trip
NiGHTS spins forward a bit.
Percentage(s)6%

Edge Attack
NiGHTS gets onto the stage and flies forwards a bit in the fashion of a Drill Dash.

Taunts
Down Taunt
NiGHTS floats, crosses its legs and yawns

Up Taunt
NiGHTS plays its dream flute
Side Taunt
NiGHTS giggles as it floats while kicking.

Idle
NiGTHS using the idle animation from its game.

Final Smash
Night Mode
NiGHTS will perform a paraloop sending itself and any enemies caught inside into the night sky, where a full moon awaits. NIGHTS will shoot a powerful blast of energy, which will then make the moon shoot a beam of moonlight down on the targets.

Game listings appearances/ cameos

Costumes of note
(his colors)

Victories/Loss/Entry

Entry
Nights flies onto the stage and dualizes with the child, causing the dualize jingle to play

Victories

-NiGHTS, and the child separate and give each other a double high five. (High ten)

-NiGHTS flies down from the top of the screen and rests in the air with its arms fold behind its head and its legs across

- NiGHTS flies down and is circled by Owl who spouts off some ramblings about keeping in close contact with the opponent

- (After defeating Sonic) NiGHTS flies down making a loop as they do so; while saying "Look who's slow now"

Loss
NiGHTS looks on with its eyes halfway closed, clapping and periodically yawning

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Please tell me what you think, and any critiques or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Any suggestions?
From what I see, there appears to be nothing wrong with the moveet at all. There are so many things that I like about it, maybe because its the first NiGHTS moveset that doesn't resort to something dodgy like it throwing Ideya at opponents (an idea that I've always disliked).

Your entire playstyle fully reflects the good things about NiGHTS from both games, it being a lightweight powerhouse with many tricky attacks and great aerial control. The face that you incorporated the rings for a visual effect in some attacks is a very welcome addition too.

But if there's one little nitpick I might add, Owl (The one who says "Go over and touch NiGHTS.") ought to appear as a part of its taunt or Victory Animation. :p

Last edited:

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
I would be fine with him if he did join, but his chances are INCREDIBLY small. This character has only had one game on a Nintendo system after all.

AiAi from Super Monkey Ball has a higher chance of making it the Nights.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I would be fine with him if he did join, but his chances are INCREDIBLY small. This character has only had one game on a Nintendo system after all.

Was gonna make a set for him too, and I have to agree.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I thought this existed.

I'd love to play as NiGHTS, especially if they give me a little NiGHTS demo in masterpieces. Would like to play as other sega characters like Alex Kidd and Vyse probably a little more, but that's cause I'm biased for Vyse. Support. I could also easily see him having a Peach-Float.

And while it would have nothing to do with the game, I wouldn't mind if he further rips off peach but uses Ecco the Dolphin instead of Toad for his counter.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
From what I see, there appears to be nothing wrong with the moveet at all. There are so many things that I like about it, maybe because its the first NiGHTS moveset that doesn't resort to something dodgy like it throwing Ideya at opponents (an idea that I've always disliked).

Your entire playstyle fully reflects the good things about NiGHTS from both games, it being a lightweight powerhouse with many tricky attacks and great aerial control. The face that you incorporated the rings for a visual effect in some attacks is a very welcome addition too.

But if there's one little nitpick I might add, Owl (The one who says "Go over and touch NiGHTS.") ought to appear as a part of its taunt or Victory Animation. :p
Bows* thank you very much, the throwing of Ideya crossed my mind, but I felt there was a lot more to use that more sense, especially seeing as how as far as i know only the children throw Ideya, NiGHTS does not.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Please tell me what you think, and any critiques or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Sorry for being late. The moveset is put together incredibly well, it really incorporates all the abilities from the NiGHTS games nicely as well as giving that nice feel that your playing the character from the actual game by giving her the near weightless characteristics. Support!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I thought this existed.

I'd love to play as NiGHTS, especially if they give me a little NiGHTS demo in masterpieces. Would like to play as other sega characters like Alex Kidd and Vyse probably a little more, but that's cause I'm biased for Vyse. Support. I could also easily see him having a Peach-Float.

And while it would have nothing to do with the game, I wouldn't mind if he further rips off peach but uses Ecco the Dolphin instead of Toad for his counter.

I support NiGHTS as well. Alongside him, the other SEGA reps I would want would have to be Tails, Arle Nadja, (Puyo Puyo) AiAi, (Super Monkey Ball) Amigo, (Samba de Amigo) Billy Hatcher, Alex Kidd, Ryo Hazuki, (Shenmue) Beat (Jet Set Radio), and I know this next one is WAY out of left-field, (just like Arle, actually) but Opa Opa from Fantasy Zone.

BTW, here's some pics to show who's who that I'm talking about, with the exception of Tails of course:

Arle Nadja
AiAi
Amigo

Billy Hatcher
Alex Kidd
Ryo Hazuki
Beat
Opa Opa

Pakky

Smash Hero
Should a personal victory against Sonic be a thing or no?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, he does have a small chance of getting in, but regardless, sign me up!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
NiGHTS was smashified? not really, but this is new and looks good.
It's mostly likely another fan Smashification like the Tap Troupe since the actual team said that they won't be doing any third parties for a while after Bomberman. It does look pretty good though, especially the bright colors.

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
just popping in to say i support. although i feel as though another Sonic character would be more likely as a 2nd SEGA rep, NiGHTS is definately higher up on my want solely because he's one of the only other SEGA IP that i see as a "mascot" of sorts, his look is easily recognizable and iconic, and his games look like nothing i have ever seen before.

sadly i have never actually played his games, i plan to get it on Steam in the near future. (literally just found out it's on there...)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
It was a tweet after they completed Bomberman. At least we know that plenty of 1st party characters will be done in the future.

https://twitter.com/smashified/status/624423959484866560
Nooooo why? Nintendo characters are way lickley to be added in a real smash games in the future than 3rd parties and alot of nintendo characters already got HD render unless if they are making forgotten characters like Mach Rider, Gooey, Donkey Kong jr., Ninten and some more wich i hope they do.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Nooooo why? Nintendo characters are way lickley to be added in a real smash games in the future than 3rd parties and alot of nintendo characters already got HD render unless if they are making forgotten characters like Mach Rider, Gooey, Donkey Kong jr., Ninten and some more wich i hope they do.

I'd like a return to dreamland sequel with playable Gooey, animal friends, and the first player to not directly have to be Kirby as long as someone else is.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Not bad! Say what do you all think a trophy description for NiGHTS could say?
Something along the lines of:

This flyer of Nightopia pairs up with a lucky visitor to vanish the evils that plague their dreams.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
You can put me on the supporters list.
Something about NiGHTS gives off the feeling that it would be impossible for him to not be fun to play as.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I wouldn't touch any other character if NiGHTS was confirmed as a playable 2nd Sega rep.

Also NiGHTS would be a good doubles character.:troll:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wouldn't touch any other character if NiGHTS was confirmed as a playable 2nd Sega rep.

Also NiGHTS would be a good doubles character.:troll:
Go over and touch NiGHTS. You'll see what I mean. That is of course if you're into that sort of thing.

:troll:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
The thing I loved about Journey of Dreams is corny dialogue and subtle sexual undertones with certain lines. What I said in addition to your post is just the few good examples in the entire game.
I agree with the subtle sexual undertones during some of the cutscenes.

NiGHTS came off as a sassy british girl in JoD because of the voice actress, personality and character design choices even though NiGHTS' gender is androgynous. Then Reala's arms got really swole and had a masculine voice. I also have a folder of screencaps from /v/ for this very occasion.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I agree with the subtle sexual undertones during some of the cutscenes.

NiGHTS came off as a sassy british girl in JoD because of the voice actress, personality and character design choices even though NiGHTS' gender is androgynous. Then Reala's arms got really swole and had a masculine voice. I also have a folder of screencaps from /v/ for this very occasion.
It's like the directors seriously wanted to amp up the attractiveness of these two Nightmarens or even inspire more NiGHTS x Reala material. Though its voice does have that perfect mixture of young boy and sassy girl to suit its androgynous appearance. That and Reala's redesign actually looked badass in the game.

Can you show me more of these screen caps? :troll:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
It's like the directors seriously wanted to amp up the attractiveness of these two Nightmarens or even inspire more NiGHTS x Reala material. Though its voice does have that perfect mixture of young boy and sassy girl to suit its androgynous appearance. That and Reala's redesign actually looked badass in the game.

Can you show me more of these screen caps? :troll:
Delivering :4sonic:

[Collapse= DUALIZE!]

[/Collapse]

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ Pakky Pakky NiGHTS is currently rated in the Rate Their Chances thread for now. I'm sure that you would like to participate like me and Gene since you know about the games pretty well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom