• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
This should be obvious by the fact most air attacks are just the same as their grounded moves. Like, Nigel's strongs are just his grounded strongs...but in the air.

Not that I'm being negative. It's just clear they did what they could to even make this game happen. I'm happy it's happening. 'Cut corners' or not.
I mean Smash doesn't even have air smash attacks (for most characters) so I'm fine with them just being aerial versions. I do hope that in the future there will be a distinction between neutral and side attacks/specials, and directional throws like in Smash, but for now I think it's a well-rounded set of options.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
ok but imagine if they had the gumption to reveal the Avatar characters officially around the same time as the final Smash character
That'd be fine all and all, if the splash preview for those who ordered the game digitally didn't boldly show them off.

At this stage, it'd be all "now featuring the Avatar cast!", and most players would be "cool, but we know that already".

the-emperors-new-clothes-001_1.jpg

Smash Ultimate's newcomers do this quite a bit too tbf (the earlier ones anyways, namely Incin, Joker and Hero)
Yeah, though most you cited are DLC, which has reduced budget overall.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
ok but imagine if they had the gumption to reveal the Avatar characters officially around the same time as the final Smash character
That would be very funny... though I really hope they are shown at least before the game is actually.... you know... out.

I want to hear someone talk about Aang/Korra/Toph before I personally have the ability to play them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That would be very funny... though I really hope they are shown at least before the game is actually.... you know... out.

I want to hear someone talk about Aang/Korra/Toph before I personally have the ability to play them.
Yes, this. No one wants to play their character blind, least of all a bunch of elementalists who for all we know may have different mechanics than all the characters who have been shown off up to that point.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yes, this. No one wants to play their character blind, least of all a bunch of elementalists who for all we know may have different mechanics than all the characters who have been shown off up to that point.
...Yeah, with a game like this, I'd prefer even a little bit of info about a character than none at all before I play them.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Yeah, I get wanting to drum up hype for the Avatar reveals, but we're at the point where anyone preordering the game will learn they are in the game lol. At a certain point, it'll become so known the actual reveal will result in less attention and shock...
Probably if it wasn't for them being leaked.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Watched Nigel's showcase. It's funny that they gave him rest and I love the animal theming of his moves. The sound effect they chose for up-b is hilarious.

Although it's genuinely bizarre to not see the hands thing referenced anywhere in there, especially with how attentive to detail these devs are with the source material.

Maybe because it wasn't worthy to include without the BLAAAUGUERGRGH, in which case I can understand.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
This should be obvious by the fact most air attacks are just the same as their grounded moves. Like, Nigel's strongs are just his grounded strongs...but in the air.

Not that I'm being negative. It's just clear they did what they could to even make this game happen. I'm happy it's happening. 'Cut corners' or not.
They did stress they have a low budget. If Smash did something like this I would understand the outrage because its budget is astronomically larger than this game.

I feel the sequel will be way more polished and for that I feel over joy for NASB's success moving forward, seeing how much interest this game has garnered. if this game made even a quarter of what Smash made that would be success in itself.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I mean Smash doesn't even have air smash attacks (for most characters) so I'm fine with them just being aerial versions. I do hope that in the future there will be a distinction between neutral and side attacks/specials, and directional throws like in Smash, but for now I think it's a well-rounded set of options.
Actually there's directionnal throws, there's back, forward, down and up like Smash. It's just that there's barely any throws animations so it's not that obvious.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's a strong possibility of us getting new fighter reveals this week.
The Avatar characters and what not.
At this point they might as well skip the trailers for them and just directly go to moveset showcases. Sorry, fans of GET READY GET READY.

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly, at this point, I think they could just be like "Yo, new character reveals coming in 2 hours" and that'd be enough warning... We don't need notice to ensure people are livestreaming their reactions; people have been doing that with the gameplay showcases fine and those don't have prior notice...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also, Panda is hosting a day-one invitational tourney for charity. This game is going to get a lot of free press lol.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Honestly, at this point, I think they could just be like "Yo, new character reveals coming in 2 hours" and that'd be enough warning... We don't need notice to ensure people are livestreaming their reactions; people have been doing that with the gameplay showcases fine and those don't have prior notice...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Also, Panda is hosting a day-one invitational tourney for charity. This game is going to get a lot of free press lol.
Oh Man, he used the Spongebob Tongue Slide Track from Attack of the Toybots. Nice!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, sure enough, the load-up icon is on my Switch. Now I kinda feel like getting the digital PS4 pre-order to see what I get there.

Also, one thing I noticed that got me thinking: both Linc and Lucy have an attack themed after a specific suit of cards/superhero identity (Ace of Spade AKA Ace Savvy and Ace of Eights). So, I assume that in the event we could get any other Loud sibling(s) via DLC, more of their card-themed superhero alter egos would be referenced.

Oh Man, he used the Spongebob Tongue Slide Track from Attack of the Toybots. Nice!
Considering that SpongeBob's jumps reference Nicktoons Unite!, of all things, they definitely dug deep.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
4 characters left to showcase and there isn't really an unifying theme for the remaining four to get a showcase the same day.

Closest thing is PTM and Reptar being sort of in-universe mascots from their respective shows and that's about it really.
Yeah, exactly. At this rate I'm fully expecting the Gaang to get dropped on launch day, especially if PTM and/or Reptar show up in the next three days.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'll make a prediction for fun that they'll announce new character reveals in the next 2 days ;)

(as in, avatar)

amageish

Smash Master
Well, sure enough, the load-up icon is on my Switch. Now I kinda feel like getting the digital PS4 pre-order to see what I get there.

Also, one thing I noticed that got me thinking: both Linc and Lucy have an attack themed after a specific suit of cards/superhero identity (Ace of Spade AKA Ace Savvy and Ace of Eights). So, I assume that in the event we could get any other Loud sibling(s) via DLC, more of their card-themed superhero alter egos would be referenced.
I think it still isn't up for digital PlayStation preorders, for whatever reason...

I... just now got the pun behind all of the siblings superhero egos being card-based... because it is a full house... like the Loud House... ha. But, yes, it seems logical that any further siblings (or Clyde) would also have a move inspired by their superhero form.

Man, these puns are... very bad... A good kind of bad, but bad nonetheless.

PTM isn't the mascot of a show though, just the mascot of his brand of cereal, Powdered Toast. It tastes just like sawdust!
They're both cereal mascots in particular, yeah. Not a bad duo to detail together if they end up doing it, though obviously it's not the best connection of all time.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Did anyone else notice any cool references or details that some characters have that weren't explicitly mentioned in the character showcases?

I noticed that the team has a lot of fun with knocked down / get up attack animations. Patrick licks an ice cream cone for his get up attack, and Lucy's knocked down animation has her doing that thing actors do when they pretend to dramatically die (idk what it's called but they stretch one arm outward while putting the other over their heart. You probably know what I'm talking about). Her get up attack has her go into a meditation pose and release a dark blue shockwave around her too.

Honestly the team overall looks like they're exaggerating elements of gameplay that Smash usually keeps grounded between the whole cast, which is really cool. I love the wacky get up attacks, and some ledge-grab animations are just as unconventional (Spongebob grabs it with his feet and Sandy grabs it with her tail). Having the animations of these basic functions be so amplified perfectly fits the tone of a cartoon-based fighter and honestly I wish Smash did more stuff like this too.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I remembered this comment I saw on the Danny Phantom showcase (posted before the Loud House characters got their showcase)
View attachment 331997
Boy, now i think i'll make that the idea for a comic i'm thinking of doing based on spongebob in the showcases.

Edit: Wait, Doesn't this also include Sandy?

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Did anyone else notice any cool references or details that some characters have that weren't explicitly mentioned in the character showcases?

I noticed that the team has a lot of fun with knocked down / get up attack animations. Patrick licks an ice cream cone for his get up attack, and Lucy's knocked down animation has her doing that thing actors do when they pretend to dramatically die (idk what it's called but they stretch one arm outward while putting the other over their heart. You probably know what I'm talking about). Her get up attack has her go into a meditation pose and release a dark blue shockwave around her too.

Honestly the team overall looks like they're exaggerating elements of gameplay that Smash usually keeps grounded between the whole cast, which is really cool. I love the wacky get up attacks, and some ledge-grab animations are just as unconventional (Spongebob grabs it with his feet and Sandy grabs it with her tail). Having the animations of these basic functions be so amplified perfectly fits the tone of a cartoon-based fighter and honestly I wish Smash did more stuff like this too.
One of Pat's idle animations resembles the Solitude in E minor meme:
Screenshot_20210928-230008_50.png
Dcc8h27-4953b036-3d02-4ce2-b662-b3505985bef6~2.png

Last edited:

Bakabridget

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bakabridget
nintendo might feel a little intimidated by this game fi theyre doing the sakurai showcase the same day this launches. not that they think it'll outsell or kill smash becasue it wont but it'll bring more attention to how bad smash online is when a low budget game by indie devs completely ****s on their online. it wont be tthe first indie game to have better online than smash but it'll be one of if not the first platform fighter with rolback with a decent size following of people watching its release.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Kinda late to join the hype train but this morning I was impressed with what they did with Nigel. A heavy character with a mobility option and a fast finisher? That goes against arquetype and I love it precisely for this. It seems like Ludosity´s answer to developing a character without a projectile is to build the character with some extra movement option (See Leo and Lucy). Also, I finally know what the weird move from Nigel in the April showcase battle was about (talking about the worm). I think its also funny that the animal sounds currently make him the best sounding character in the cast. Great job made for the stage. Its an interesting layout (not competitively viable though). Definitely a smashing showcase!

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Just a little too stupid for me despite it being a little funny. Avatar is a huge franchise with a huge fanbase, revealing them after launch is anti-hype af when it'd be far more beneficial to bring such a large series in the limelight with character reveals. They received 3 reps before many Nick shows they have to reveal them unless the marketing team is filled to the brim with morons.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Btw I think a good way to get around the "actor's likeness" complication with live-action characters, would be if the live-action character was a Dancing Lobster from the Amanda Show. If there's a wtf pick (if PTM doesn't already count), that would be an amazing one.

Top Bottom