• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
There’s certainly been those less favorable of it, but I’m surprise how well the likely exclusion of Rugrats, Arnold, Donnie and Raph, Eliza, Ickis, etc has seemed to go over. Are we just a more civil lot or are we holding out for DLC?
I think it mostly comes down to folks knowing the roster is going to be on the smaller side compared to something like Smash, since Smash is atypical for a platform fighter due to the sheer size, scope, budget, and longevity. There are always going to be omissions. While every one of the ones you listed could be really fun, I'd argue there are also reasons for each of them to be out-prioritized for now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There’s certainly been those less favorable of it, but I’m surprise how well the likely exclusion of Rugrats, Arnold, Donnie and Raph, Eliza, Ickis, etc has seemed to go over. Are we just a more civil lot or are we holding out for DLC?
Honestly for me, it's because I don't care as much for Nickelodeon compared to how broad gaming itself is, like, with Smash, I have a pretty open mind for how I'd feel about if any character joined the roster regardless of how likely I think it'd be but for Nickelodeon, my top 5 are Jenny, El Tigre, Dora, Angelica and Squidward whereas with Smash, only my top 2 is really consistent. Plus, I don't dislike any Nick shows in particular to feel especially disappointed whereas there's loads of games I strongly dislike for all sorts of reasons

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm fairly certain the rest of the Turtles will get in DLC anyways, so it's no biggie. Besides, I'm rather curious to see what they will do for the Rugrats exactly, seeing as they conspicuously went with Reptar and Teeter Totter Gulch of all things to represent early Rugrats. I think the DLC will be a mix of series in the base game and unrepresented ones. To me, ARM and Thornberrys aren't strictly necessary to fill up, since they seem like one-shot deals.

In regards to who I want, at this stage I really just want Shredder, Daggett, Kitty, Jenny, El Tigre and maybe a couple more Loud sisters.

Though for one comment I saw in the Twitter post from earlier, there's one fan that was...less generous and impatient. They claimed that Fraymakers is better.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I think the reason the rugrats arnt in it is because I dont think it would feel right beating up babies

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think the reason the rugrats arnt in it is because I dont think it would feel right beating up babies
On one hand, that's very understandable, especially as I don't remember the Rugrats ever being particularly violent which could be seen as too damaging for the brand

On the other hand I would pay good money to ****ing drop kick Angelica into next week

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
On one hand, that's very understandable, especially as I don't remember the Rugrats ever being particularly violent which could be seen as too damaging for the brand

On the other hand I would pay good money to ****ing drop kick Angelica into next week
Yeah, but the reason in smash Sakurai didnt want the Nintendog in smash was because it didn't feel right beating up a puppy but **** Hint was cartoony enough to be acceptable, with Rugrats that can be the same

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm fairly certain the rest of the Turtles will get in DLC anyways, so it's no biggie. Besides, I'm rather curious to see what they will do for the Rugrats exactly, seeing as they conspicuously went with Reptar and Teeter Totter Gulch of all things to represent early Rugrats. I think the DLC will be a mix of series in the base game and unrepresented ones. To me, ARM and Thornberrys aren't strictly necessary to fill up, since they seem like one-shot deals.

In regards to who I want, at this stage I really just want Shredder, Daggett, Kitty, Jenny, El Tigre and maybe a couple more Loud sisters.

Though for one comment I saw in the Twitter post from earlier, there's one fan that was...less generous and impatient. They claimed that Fraymakers is better.
I'm not expecting any more Loud sisters. I expect them all (besides Lucy) to appear in the background of the Loud House stage.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, but the reason in smash Sakurai didnt want the Nintendog in smash was because it didn't feel right beating up a puppy but **** Hint was cartoony enough to be acceptable, with Rugrats that can be the same
Never underestimate what a company head may deem too offbrand, again, the Rugrats were never particularly violent compared to the typical slapstick seen in countless other Nick shows, not to mention that comparison isn't really good because let's be real, this game won't have anything look even remotely realistic like the Nintendog looking like a realistic dog

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can't help but think they'd want to sneak in All Grown Up in some way, even if it is divisive.

Yes, it would be difficult to give a Teen!Rugrat a moveset, but when Smash can even make movesets out of thin air for plants, I wouldn't doubt Ludosity's creativity either.

I'm not expecting any more Loud sisters. I expect them all (besides Lucy) to appear in the background of the Loud House stage.
We'll see. I currently expect every sister that's younger than Lucy to be left out (even if they don't show up on the stage) and Lynn and Lola have been spotted on the stage, but anything could happen with the rest, at the very least I could see people push for Luna.

Never underestimate what a company head may deem too offbrand, again, the Rugrats were never particularly violent compared to the typical slapstick seen in countless other Nick shows, not to mention that comparison isn't really good because let's be real, this game won't have anything look even remotely realistic like the Nintendog looking like a realistic dog
Funny thing in terms of realsim or lack thereof in this case is, the latest Loud seasons got criticized for amping up unrealistic situations, yet we have no problem with Linc and Lucy beating up martial artists and superheroes. I find it a bit hysterical, honestly.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Then explain why Lincoln and Lucy are fighters despise being children.
(Lincoln does not like to fight in the Loud House show.)
Also Helga's a fighter and she can get aggressive.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I can't help but think they'd want to sneak in All Grown Up in some way, even if it is divisive.

Yes, it would be difficult to give a Teen!Rugrat a moveset, but when Smash can even make movesets out of thin air, I wouldn't doubt Ludosity's creativity either.
Eh, I feel it'd be better for AGU to exist in the same way APC does in Brawl - as a small reference. Perhaps Baby!Tommy's victory screen could be him stumbling across April's camera and discovering a new passion in the process.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, okay, Monday can't get here any sooner. It's gotten to the point where we can't allow ourselves to hope for random things.

So, do we even know who the composer is for this game? Feels like most of the music budget was funneled into the opening song.

Eh, I feel it'd be better for AGU to exist in the same way APC does in Brawl - as a small reference. Perhaps Baby!Tommy's victory screen could be him stumbling across April's camera and discovering a new passion in the process.
In before they just split the difference by going the :ultlink: route. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they did that to catch everyone off guard.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Lincoln's inclusion does strike me as a little odd and does make me doubt the whole "no corporate mandated characters" thing - I wonder if he was intended as a substitute for Timmy? One of the moves we've seen from him - the VR Goggles and sword - feels like a really flimsy way of making a move intended for Timmy fit Lincoln.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Lincoln's inclusion does strike me as a little odd and does make me doubt the whole "no corporate mandated characters" thing - I wonder if he was intended as a substitute for Timmy? One of the moves we've seen from him - the VR Goggles and sword - feels like a really flimsy way of making a move intended for Timmy fit Lincoln.
What do you mean a little odd?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now that you mention it, I do wonder if we'll see the other "predictable" Nick demand characters at all during DLC. It would take ******** to outright refuse anything of theirs out the game entirely, since we have yet to see Clyde in here (even as a cameo).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What even makes Nick think a choice is questionable for this game anyway? For example, they were unsure about the idea of an Aaahh! Real Monsters rep, and yet those RSVLTS Nicktoons shirts feature the ARM trio.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What even makes Nick think a choice is questionable for this game anyway? For example, they were unsure about the idea of an Aaahh! Real Monsters rep, and yet those RSVLTS Nicktoons shirts feature the ARM trio.
And they had to fight to include Lucy even though she got into Kart Racers 2 with no problem.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well, the team said that they had to fight to get Lucy, so I guess there was some Loud house fans at Ludosity. Also just because they both have a sword one time doesn't mean that one is a substitute of the other. It's pretty obvious that if they want Timmy he would be very different than Lincoln.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The specific exec Ludosity talked to must have been some bloke who was absurdly out of touch with much of anything within the Nick company. I can't imagine any other reason why the initial proposals were seen as "too safe".

But really though, it would feel nice to eventually stop hovering around the usual Jimmy/Timmy/Garfield/Rocko/Jenny expectations like a helicopter so that we can get more interesting conversations regarding the DLC.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Lack of the remaining Ninja Turtles is something that is very controversial in certain circles. As for the other ones, I think it's just a case of "The choice to represent this series is so awesome/funny that I don't care to complain about the lack of other characters." They made some bold choices and, honestly, most of them seem to paying off quite nicely within the fandom.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them did cameo (though idk about all of them; that seems like a lot of extra modelling work to do for a single stage), but we also know that DLC wasn't in the original project plan. So, I wouldn't personally take a cameo as a deconfirm.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
And they had to fight to include Lucy even though she got into Kart Racers 2 with no problem.
Honestly, regarding having to fight for Lucy, as well as taking into account the whole "incredibly bland/boring roster" that Nick apparently wanted, I can't help but wonder if maybe the reason they had to fight for Lucy was that whoever the executive was who proposed the initial roster didn't see a point in including anyone other than Lincoln.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
On Rugrats, I think that was a Ludosity choice above all else. Helga and Reptar were chosen in favor of Arnold and Tommy because they’re a better fit for the game. I don’t think it goes deeper than that

As for Lincoln, I wonder if maybe GameMill pitched Lincoln and Clyde, while Ludosity pitched 2 of the sisters (because I seriously don’t see Ludosity campaigning for Lincoln considering the other MC’s we didn’t get)

So my guess is Lincoln and Lucy was an agreed upon compromise. Cause I don’t see how Lincoln would have more move set potential than some of his sisters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lack of the remaining Ninja Turtles is something that is very controversial in certain circles. As for the other ones, I think it's just a case of "The choice to represent this series is so awesome/funny that I don't care to complain about the lack of other characters." They made some bold choices and, honestly, most of them seem to paying off quite nicely within the fandom.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them did cameo (though idk about all of them; that seems like a lot of extra modelling work to do for a single stage), but we also know that DLC wasn't in the original project plan. So, I wouldn't personally take a cameo as a deconfirm.
If we do see the other Turtles, I'm willing to bet that they'd play the most differently overall than many of their past game iterations, if they put the same effort into them as they did for Leo and Mikey.

That said, I wouldn't get so hung up on trying to win an argument, as usual. It might resolve itself like for the "Ren and Stimpy will be solo characters" incident. Anything could happen, especially considering that DLC was seen as a long shot not that long ago.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I have many cool characters and I am still holding out hope but mostly for new franchises. Besides Luna Loud, the rest of my wants remain new IPs.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The specific exec Ludosity talked to must have been some bloke who was absurdly out of touch with much of anything within the Nick company. I can't imagine any other reason why the initial proposals were seen as "too safe".

But really though, it would feel nice to eventually stop hovering around the usual Jimmy/Timmy/Garfield/Rocko/Jenny expectations like a helicopter so that we can get more interesting conversations regarding the DLC.
I get where you coming from, but since we're just in the first game I think that they should really get the obvious characters before going into more obscure or crazy picks. Like imagine if in Smash Melee people would say "stop asking for Bowser, Peach and a gen 2 Pokémon". I mean, there's a reason people wanted them, just like there's a reason why pretty much everybody wants Garfield, Jimmy and Timmy.

amageish

Smash Master
That said, I wouldn't get so hung up on trying to win an argument, as usual. It might resolve itself like for the "Ren and Stimpy will be solo characters" incident. Anything could happen, especially considering that DLC was seen as a long shot not that long ago.
Oh, yeah, I am not planning on dedicating myself to the arguments of DLC speculation. I am looking forward to the game and plan on playing it for a long while, but once I have my Aang/Korra/Probably-Toph movesets, I am going to be content and will likely just... play the game instead of speculating too hard about its future. I enjoy Nicktoons, but this isn't like Smash where there is an infinite well of possibilities that I can see myself getting lost in hypotheticals about.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
On Rugrats, I think that was a Ludosity choice above all else. Helga and Reptar were chosen in favor of Arnold and Tommy because they’re a better fit for the game. I don’t think it goes deeper than that

As for Lincoln, I wonder if maybe GameMill pitched Lincoln and Clyde, while Ludosity pitched 2 of the sisters (because I seriously don’t see Ludosity campaigning for Lincoln considering the other MC’s we didn’t get)

So my guess is Lincoln and Lucy was an agreed upon compromise. Cause I don’t see how Lincoln would have more move set potential than some of his sisters
Lincoln is the main character of a 5 season show, it wouldn't be hard to find tons of references from the show to fill out his moveset, But yeah it's not out of the question to think that Lincoln was chosen in order to make Nick happy and cater to the younger fans who will buy this game.

I get where you coming from, but since we're just in the first game I think that they should really get the obvious characters before going into more obscure or crazy picks. Like imagine if in Smash Melee people would say "stop asking for Bowser, Peach and a gen 2 Pokémon". I mean, there's a reason people wanted them, just like there's a reason why pretty much everybody wants Garfield, Jimmy and Timmy.
Well Nick's original roster was mainly just "boring and predictable" characters as one of the devs put it, so it's not entirely out of the question to think that Ludosity and GameMill would want to pitched more characters like Oblina and Nigel in the future. Besides I think its more fun to go back and rewatch some of Nick's older shows to find cool and underrated characters. Even Sakurai the same, adding old and unique character to Melee like Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly, I like that they went for some less that obvious choices for this first outing. Every crossover game should have some wildcard picks among the mainstays to keep things interesting. Smash 64 did it with Ness, Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff and that was before anyone knew there'd ever be a second game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm just saying, we don't know if they'll close up shop as soon as the big characters are done. For all we know, Ludosity will keep going on this game as long as humanly possible before they're ready to move to something else, as it might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them to do what they want for what's basically a dream project they've been wanting. There's no guarantee that Nick would pick them a second time if it did become a "franchise" somehow.

The foreseeable future is vague enough that we don't have enough evidence to determine how this DLC cycle will go. I imagine that it'll start to become clearer next month.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I dont see people bring up how Powdered Toast Man got unveiled first instead of Ren and Stimpy. That has to be the weirdest decission since somehow a secondary gag character gets revealed over the main two first.

That would be like having Waluigi shown before Mario. Imagine if Ren/Stimpy werent leaked and we wondered if they were getting in the game at all

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I dont see people bring up how Powdered Toast Man got unveiled first instead of Ren and Stimpy. That has to be the weirdest decission since somehow a secondary gag character gets revealed over the main two first.

That would be like having Waluigi shown before Mario. Imagine if Ren/Stimpy werent leaked and we wondered if they were getting in the game at all
Its probably the use of the two models. It is probably harder to animate and make it work properly without causing framerate issues.

Top Bottom