• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm fine with third party guests or "big name" characters as long as they aren't nearly as dull as the Samurai Shodown remake's.

Really though, did many people even look forward to a For Honor character? Or that mobile game character?

The former. In fact, as much as speculation can be fun, I would almost rather handle this like most non-Smash-Bros fighters work and announce characters in batches, instead of Smash's "We will randomly announce singular characters and those characters will be out in under a month" approach.
Or Fighterz being slower for what mostly amounts to be around 90% Saiyans (which I understand are a divisive point).

Or Street Fighter V being all over the bleeding place to the point that the Season V characters were known in advance except for the last one, which took a year of waiting before finally being unveiled shortly before release, and was really just a tease for the next game.

But really though, besides the amount of seasons I'm mostly just concerned about how much characters we'd get per season. Four? Five? Six?

To Those who still watch television, My Life as a Teenage Robot is airing on Teen Nick currently.
On a related note, the show was apparently so beloved in Japan that an anime version of it was considered at some point, but never came about.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, since it's the weekend I guess we probably won't see a video showcase until Monday.

Actually it turns out Luke is based off of Street Fighter 2010, the whole 'future of Street Fighter' was a reference to that
Now that you mention it, he has stars on his shoulders like Kevin, as well.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I wonder what kind of guest character could be possible.

Is Dreamworks stuff way too expensive to get? I want the return of Skipper the Tier destroyer
I would really like Lazy Town in the game. It would be a guest character, but it was own by Viacom and was aired by Nick in the past so I think they could consider it. And I know that the team said recently that they didn't wante live action shows for now, but they did considered Alex Mack early on. This Makes me think that they're open to live action character if they have enough moveset potential and have super power, and Lazy Town characters have them. The only thing is that I have no idea how hard it would be to get the rights for it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I would really like Lazy Town in the game. It would be a guest character, but it was own by Viacom and was aired by Nick in the past so I think they could consider it. And I know that the team said recently that they didn't wante live action shows for now, but they did considered Alex Mack early on. This Makes me think that they're open to live action character if they have enough moveset potential and have super power, and Lazy Town characters have them. The only thing is that I have no idea how hard it would be to get the rights for it.
I feel Robbie Rotten and LA Dora are the only Nick Jr. reps that really make logical sense - LazyTown hasn't aired in years to my knowledge and Robbie is the antagonist the babby audience know not to imitate if they somehow walk past an older family member playing as him, and LA Dora is of course from a PG adaptation of a Nick Jr. show. I'd love Blue, but she wouldn't really make sense from a brand image perspective - especially with her having a popular reboot RN - and Swiper doesn't really have any unique qualities to stand on with projectile grabs being a universal mechanic.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, Sportacus and Robbie Rotten are cartoonish as it is anyways, so I wouldn't mind it.

As long as Robbie came with some of his costumes (if costumes get confirmed, anyway).

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I’m thinking based on TMNT alone DLC will come in packs of at least 2.

Because we are missing 2 turtles.

(and since it’s 89 series, you can milk that for three packs. Raph and Don. Rocksteady and Bebop. Shredder and Krang…. If the game wants to rival smash’s character numbers, Baxter and Rat King, Casey Jones and Metalhead, really no shortage from this franchise alone).

-

If we get more Korra characters I would like Varick/Xu-Li and Bo-Lin. Yes Varick would have to be one of those “two people” characters. Because he can’t do the thing alone.

-

Zuko/Katara probably would round out Airbender if we get Toph base game (… I wouldn’t say no to Azula, Mai, Tai Li, Sokka, Iroh, and Suki though… hell, I wouldn’t say no to Momo and Appa).

-

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If we get a Firebender for a whole quartet and it's not Asami then as much as I love the absolute goodest of boys Zuko, Azula has to be first because she would steal his spotlight
She is a villain, so it'd still be a net win, all things considered.

I’m thinking based on TMNT alone DLC will come in packs of at least 2.

Because we are missing 2 turtles.

(and since it’s 89 series, you can milk that for three packs. Raph and Don. Rocksteady and Bebop. Shredder and Krang…. If the game wants to rival smash’s character numbers, Baxter and Rat King, Casey Jones and Metalhead, really no shortage from this franchise alone).
Honestly, I think it'd be reasonable enough to just add Bebop and Rocksteady if we got any extra villains to accompany Shredder, as much as I do like the prospect of this being a better TMNT fighting game than Smash-Up.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Alright there's a prompt:

would you guys prefer to be told how many characters you're getting (Smash Ultimate) or they come out when they're ready to show them off until they eventually just end (Smash 4)?
I loved EVERYONE Is here when Ultimate pulled it out, and the hypes and memes were great too. Having not to worry wheneter or not Mega Man and Wolf and Mewtwo were coming back was a godsend to me. Imagine having to wait an entire year for Ice Climbers to come back, only to find out at the VERY LAST SECOND that they are not in the game, like what happened to Smash 4. I don't want to experience that again (and Smash's 4 pre-release cycle was one my favorite moments in Smash, Pic of the Day was always fun to look for, not as it talked about mechanics, stages, Gimmicks and all other sorts of stuff, if Only Ultimate's Smash blog was as interesting, i forgot that one was a thing)

Still i would prefer to know all the characters from the get-go instead of going the Smash 4 approach, especially because unlike Smash 4 where they probably did that because the game was one year away from release after its announcement so they needed to keep up the game's announcements for the time being, NASB is literally like only like 4 months away from release after its announcement.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I'm fine with third party guests or "big name" characters as long as they aren't nearly as dull as the Samurai Shodown remake's.

Really though, did many people even look forward to a For Honor character? Or that mobile game character?

Or Fighterz being slower for what mostly amounts to be around 90% Saiyans (which I understand are a divisive point).

Or Street Fighter V being all over the bleeding place to the point that the Season V characters were known in advance except for the last one, which took a year of waiting before finally being unveiled shortly before release, and was really just a tease for the next game.

But really though, besides the amount of seasons I'm mostly just concerned about how much characters we'd get per season. Four? Five? Six?

On a related note, the show was apparently so beloved in Japan that an anime version of it was considered at some point, but never came about.
You're forgetting Baiken from Blazblue

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Apparently, it seems that CatDog's stance system is less like :ultpyra::ultmythra: and more like Voldo from the Soul Calibur series, in regards to altering the properties of some attacks.

Who knows how many more fighting game series they'll take inspiration from?

You're forgetting Baiken from Blazblue
Right, I hadn't kept up recently.

To think it took until season 4 for them to include a guest that's from a cult series.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Anyway, that's irrelevant because I'm pretty sure more people know and love Rango than there are people who care for say, Real Monsters or Wild Thornberrys.
Okay so like, yeah, in recent years Rango has been receiving more attention than it had when it released. But at the same time, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Say what you will of Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, since it was always on the more low-key end of the NickToons spectrum, but The Wild Thornberrys was very well known in the late '90s and early '00s. Lots of episodes, two feature films (one of which was a crossover between it and what was, at the time, Nick's second biggest show), tons of advertising, and even presence in seasonal bumpers long after its heyday, like when Nigel played a major role in the Patrick the Snowman Christmas bumper.

Meanwhile Rango failed to double its budget at the box office, which, going by the general wisdom, is what's usually needed for a film to break even. And that was despite almost no box office competition. Meanwhile The Wild Thornberrys Movie more than doubled its budget despite going up against, of all things, The Lord of the Rings.

Like I said, Rango is a pretty good movie from what I've heard, but it's undeniably more obscure than The Wild Thornberrys.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Okay so like, yeah, in recent years Rango has been receiving more attention than it had when it released. But at the same time, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Say what you will of Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, since it was always on the more low-key end of the NickToons spectrum, but The Wild Thornberrys was very well known in the late '90s and early '00s. Lots of episodes, two feature films (one of which was a crossover between it and what was, at the time, Nick's second biggest show), tons of advertising, and even presence in seasonal bumpers long after its heyday, like when Nigel played a major role in the Patrick the Snowman Christmas bumper.

Meanwhile Rango failed to double its budget at the box office, which, going by the general wisdom, is what's usually needed for a film to break even. And that was despite almost no box office competition. Meanwhile The Wild Thornberrys Movie more than doubled its budget despite going up against, of all things, The Lord of the Rings.

Like I said, Rango is a pretty good movie from what I've heard, but it's undeniably more obscure than The Wild Thornberrys.
I wouldn’t even call it more well known than Real Monsters to be honest, I think that show just got overshadowed by most other Nicktoons that came out in the 90’s, not that it isn’t remembered

And I’ll never argue that Rango is popular. But people do remember him despite being from a one off film

Rango sort of gives me Banjo vibes minus the massive fan support

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, haters wandering into support threads for the thing they specifically hate is something I wish would stop happening. You can say what you will about Rango or whether or not the staff cares enough about him for inclusion, but have the common decency to be polite about it and try not to deliberately kick the beehive.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was hoping we'd keep up having speculation on certain characters NOT be bogged down by "no the character choices have to appeal to absolutely ****ing everyone" like it is in Smash.
On the bright side there's less Nicktoons to go around overall, especially if Nick Jr. isn't taken into consideration. I definitely think it would help if we go into the DLC period ASAP, since we're already reaching the point of going around in circles speculation-wise.

I'm just slightly miffed that we still don't even know about how a little over half of the launch roster's movesets are looking like or even supposed to work.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
As cool as Rango is, we all know the real Nick movie rep should be Count Olaf from the A Series of Unfortunate Events film adaptation. Even ignoring how the books were my favorite as a kid, it’d be fun to see how they’d incorporate all of his different disguises into his moveset and he’d be an awesome villain rep. Now I know the chances of that happening are basically 1 in a million because he’s live action and the film was based on a book Nick doesn’t even own, but **** it, they should add him anyway. :p

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Actually it should just be Jack Black as a stance-changing character where he shifts between Nacho Libre, Dewey Finn from School of Rock, and Po from Kung Fu Panda. Gotta get as much Jack Black in your game as you can.
Don't forget Octagon Jack. He's the only way this stance character can have eight fantastic sides, and eight awesome angles.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The whole point I'm trying to make his that, had this game been made six or seven years ago, it absolutely would've been called "Nicktoon All-Star Brawl" - but for some reason, Nick doesn't like that word anymore. Either way, don't expect to see any non-Nicktoon characters in this game, because they've made it MORE than clear that's what they're focusing on, especially once the one live-action character they wanted got shot down.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I don't think anyone here was seriously considering that a live-action character would happen. It's just joshing around until the next news drop gets here on Monday.

Anyway, the game is up for pre-order on Steam now.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I really like the idea of Lazy Town in isolation, though I think the challenge of "guest fighters" would be picking someone associated with Nick internationally. We've discussed the challenge of international access to Nicktoons before, but it gets even more complicated when discussing what shows shared a network with Nick shows in what countries/regions...

As for speculation... Talking about unrealistic and improbable characters is perfectly harmless? The problem comes in when people begin going "If the devs care about REAL FANS, they'll add X" and pre-emptively planning meme formats to spam everywhere to express discontent if X is not added to the game. Which doesn't seem to be happening in NASB speculation - well, uh, it is at least not happening in this thread.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Anyway, the game is up for pre-order on Steam now.

I wish. It's only up for wishlist right now, which is how it's been for months. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the day the game goes up for preorder on Steam, mainly to see if it's on sale like the Switch version is.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I wish. It's only up for wishlist right now, which is how it's been for months. I, for one, am anxiously awaiting the day the game goes up for preorder on Steam, mainly to see if it's on sale like the Switch version is.
It probably will be... Only platform I'd be concerned about not having the discount is Sony platforms, as their storefront is infamously hard to work with for indie devs - and, even then, they got to reveal Ren/Stimpy on the PS Blog, so maybe that was part of some larger agreement that will include a discount too.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
My top 5 Nick All Star Brawl Characters I Want Personally:

Sanjay and Craig: We havnt seen a tether grab fighter and Sanjay and Craig would be a good rep for Nick's experimental phase, its very underated

Otis: I like playing as animal characters (I main duck hunt) and Otis would be a cool addition, his udder can work like Fludd in Smash.

Blue: If there was a Nick Jr rep this has to be it, she could use clues to summon tools like how hero has special choosable abilities.

Densel Crocker: My pick for a fairly odd parents rep, he could use his tools and traps to become a trapper zone fighter hybrid.

Peinguins of Madagascar: A guest fighter from dreamworks, all 4 will be a single fighter and they be lead around like Pikmin and be used for some Zoning potential.

What do you think of these picks, any opinions, this is no particular order and is just a personal thing.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman

Sanjay and Craig: We havnt seen a tether grab fighter and Sanjay and Craig would be a good rep for Nick's experimental phase, its very underated

Otis: I like playing as animal characters (I main duck hunt) and Otis would be a cool addition, his udder can work like Fludd in Smash.

Blue: If there was a Nick Jr rep this has to be it, she could use clues to summon tools like how hero has special choosable abilities.

Densel Crocker: My pick for a fairly odd parents rep, he could use his tools and traps to become a trapper zone fighter hybrid.

Peinguins of Madagascar: A guest fighter from dreamworks, all 4 will be a single fighter and they be lead around like Pikmin and be used for some Zoning potential.

What do you think of these picks, any opinions, this is no particular order and is just a personal thing.
I kinda hope we don't get a tether grab fighter. Grabs being standardized seems to be an intentional mechanic. It should be a special or something.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Technically Sandy has a great grab with her lasso and one of the turtles has a tether recovery

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
There’s certainly been those less favorable of it, but I’m surprise how well the likely exclusion of Rugrats, Arnold, Donnie and Raph, Eliza, Ickis, etc has seemed to go over. Are we just a more civil lot or are we holding out for DLC?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There’s certainly been those less favorable of it, but I’m surprise how well the likely exclusion of Rugrats, Arnold, Donnie and Raph, Eliza, Ickis, etc has seemed to go over. Are we just a more civil lot or are we holding out for DLC?
I don't mind it honestly. I do kinda miss Donnie because he's the best turtles but I can do without the rest.

Considering how much of the roster is second and third reps for just a handful franchises, I'd rather the DLC focus on new stuff.

Top Bottom