• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
NASB's wiki page, which I found through their discord: https://srk.shib.live/w/Nickelodeon_All-Star_Brawl

Most of the pages are incomplete but there's a lot of hysterical blurbs thrown here and there. (The stuff that's blacked out is just standard info, I wanted the focus to be on the funny stuff. Sorry if this is a bit spammy but I found most of these genuinely hilarious, ESPECIALLY the last one)
View attachment 330448View attachment 330449
View attachment 330450View attachment 330451View attachment 330452View attachment 330453View attachment 330454View attachment 330455
Glad to see that the NASB wiki is already the best thing ever.
Multiplayer =/= competitive play. Seems to lean more toward casual multiplayer game which is Smash's biggest strength. Even the commercials lean into "casual multiplayer smashing!". What you're claiming is just plain wrong. Items like Assists and other wacky non-balanced for competitive things had intense developmental focus.

Nintendo actively shuts down tournaments, shuts down any sponsors that would've helped out the struggling competitive scene, garbage online, barely any patches with over half of them being incredibly unimportant for competitive smash and its current balancing. The IPs you mentioned are irrelevant to my point as I'm partially talking about Smash. The game that Nintendo just can't balance well for both audiences.

Like hell I got my competitive fill, maybe if Nintendo bothered to have a less garbage buffer system then maybe. But Ultimate is at its best as a casual game, I had far more fun messing around with the crazy items than trying to navigate through the game's limitations in movement and controls. Nintendo heavily leans into that and barely gives competitive players anything. That is the objective truth, Nintendo does a poor job at supporting competitive scenes, they have to do it on their own with Nintendo hindering them (specifically Smash as that's what I pay attention to) every step of the way.

Nintendo is never on board with anything e-sports. If we're lucky they tolerate it
Well said. Ultimate is NOT a competitive game, it's a casual game that pretends to appeal to the competitive side of Smash by taking half-measures without actually listening to the community and making dumb compromises. Pretending Nintendo fans have "got their fill" of competitive content when it is abundantly clear that Nintendo THEMSELVES do not want their games being played competitively is just kinda lol.
Top 10 comments that aged poorly
Wow, that comment aged about a week in a few hours.

Last edited:

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see that the NASB wiki is already the best thing ever.

Well said. Ultimate is NOT a competitive game, it's a casual game that pretends to appeal to the competitive side of Smash by taking half-measures without actually listening to the community and making dumb compromises. Pretending Nintendo fans have "got their fill" of competitive content when it is abundantly clear that Nintendo THEMSELVES do not want their games being played competitively is just kinda lol.

Wow, that comment aged about a week in a few hours.
Exactly. That one gif where Mickey gives Goofy a very tiny slice of meat represents Nintendo and the competitive scene. Totally filling and satisfying... sure buddy.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Also, I'm also calling the Avatar announcement in a Direct. I found it weird how we got nothing at all this week, so it must have been the devs telling Nintendo to push it back until they're ready.
You know, not everything is linked to Nintendo direct. You really think that Nintendo would have pushed their whole presentation just to wait for this game to "be ready"? They don't care at all about this game.

Maybe there could be a villains dlc pass or something at some point. Not interested in that myself, but i bet quite a few people might.
If we get Timmy early on as DLC, a cool vilain imo would be Vicky. It would be fun to have her fight against Helga.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
You know, not everything is linked to Nintendo direct. You really think that Nintendo would have pushed their whole presentation just to wait for this game to "be ready"? They don't care at all about this game.
If anything, they'd probably avoid talking about it in the case it overshadows the final Smash character.

Imagine the last pick is incredibly underwhelming, and it gets shown up in the same Direct by ****ing Garfield. They'll probably want to avoid risking that.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Actually, I would say it runs deeper than that. While I am a huge fan of Nintendo, Nintendo is really archaic and terrible with getting on with the times. Splatoon´s terrible chat features and their mishandling of competitive ARMS show great ignorance on how to handle the competitive side of games and they are just the tip of the iceberg. We also have the meme terrible NSO which constantly keeps getting dislikes (that also ruins experience for many games like Mario Maker 2 ). We have all the cancelled fan games (including the Dreams fiasco), mods and tournaments put down because of Nintendo´s agressive controlling nature on its IPS (while not giving the support required to the demanding fans). To add to this pile, we have the content creator disaster on youtube. It isnt that Nintendo is dumb, its more like Nintendo is incompetent at adapting.

amageish

Smash Master
I decided to do some classic speculation predict Taunts/Victory-Screens/Loss-Screens for the Avatar gang, assuming Toph is the 3rd Avatar rep...

Taunt

Look, they enjoy using their memes. Why not have Aang show off his powers in a very low-key way in the middle of his more dramatic attacks?

Victory Screen

I imagine it'd be like this, but with him smiling and cheering. I know there is another more common reaction gif using the air scooter, but that one involves moving around a lot and the pedestal for the winner seems small.

Loss Screen

We need an Ember Island Players reference somewhere. Let's just let Aang sulk like he did watching that play.

Taunt

Korra's glance is done towards the screen, who knows if she's taunting the player controlling her or the opponent!

Victory Screen

Look, this kind of water-bending is just super iconic to the franchise. You see it every episode, why not make it the Victory screen.

Loss Screen

Korra is tired and unimpressed by your win. Obviously there are sadder scenes to pull stuff from, but I feel like it may be a bit dark to be like "LOL, KORRA LOST SO BAD SHE GOT PTSD AND WILL NEED TO SPEND A SEASON RECOUVERING!"...

Taunt

Can Toph meaningfully make a joke about her own blindness without speaking aloud? I don't know, but I think she's going to try.

Victory Screen

She is not Toph. She is the Melon Lord.

Loss Screen

Okay, I picked this gif just because it is funny, but you get it. Toph is Toph. Toph is grumpy. Toph is a grump when she loses.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man that interview confirmed a lot of things goddamn. I'm really liking everything about the game now and the more I see Ren, the more shocked I am at how expressive he is cause Smash doesn't get that over the top with facial expressions, especially characters like say, Banjo who get massively hyped for 'actually having a personality' despite mostly having a blank stare but big eyes and a big mouth so his expressions are somehow seen as more full of live than say, Sephiroth. I feel this doesn't get enough praise

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man that interview confirmed a lot of things goddamn. I'm really liking everything about the game now and the more I see Ren, the more shocked I am at how expressive he is cause Smash doesn't get that over the top with facial expressions, especially characters like say, Banjo who get massively hyped for 'actually having a personality' despite mostly having a blank stare but big eyes and a big mouth so his expressions are somehow seen as more full of live than say, Sephiroth. I feel this doesn't get enough praise
A big part of it likely comes from the fact that it seems like Ren's model possibly changes to be so off model. Like, not just stretching and squashing the existing face model, but replacing it entirely. If that really is the case, the team really went above and beyond to animate Ren and Stimpy as well as they did, and that's really commendable. Because like, like you said, not even Smash does that to this extent, showing that even something considered to be a genre's gold standard can have things to improve on.

Though another big part that also helps is that going by the PlayStation Blog post, the whole team is basically comprised of huge Ren and Stimpy fans, so it's possible they just really wanted to nail them in particular lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
A big part of it likely comes from the fact that it seems like Ren's model possibly changes to be so off model. Like, not just stretching and squashing the existing face model, but replacing it entirely. If that really is the case, the team really went above and beyond to animate Ren and Stimpy as well as they did, and that's really commendable. Because like, like you said, not even Smash does that to this extent, showing that even something considered to be a genre's gold standard can have things to improve on.

Though another big part that also helps is that going by the PlayStation Blog post, the whole team is basically comprised of huge Ren and Stimpy fans, so it's possible they just really wanted to nail them in particular lol.
Yeah, to my knowledge which is admittedly all secondhand, Smash only really does this for stuff like Snake's teeth with 2 seperate models in his mouth but Ren probably has like 3 heads/sets of teeth judging by his moves. I never saw the show as a kid as it was before my time and even if it wasn't, my mother would still have me grounded to this day if I watched this but this got me to watch a few clips and I'd probably adore the show, that's probably the intention for the target audience too lmao

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Do we know when Nick's upcoming Garfield show started production? They might be going for a simultanious reveal.

Having Garfield alongside the turtles in this game would be rad because the 80s TMNT and Garfield & Friends are often considered part of a transitional period between Care Bear/He-Man drek and the Nicktoons/Spielberg creative explosion - pretty sure they aired on the same block too,

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Keep in mind that Ludosity/Game Mill/Nick/whatever is using every front possible to promote this game now, so don't be surprised if it randomly shows up in a Direct. Especially seeing as a shovelware WWE game showed up on the West side of one once.

Besides, we're likely to hear new details for it every week up to its launch at this point.

Do we know when Nick's upcoming Garfield show started production? They might be going for a simultanious reveal.

Having Garfield alongside the turtles in this game would be rad because the 80s TMNT and Garfield & Friends are often considered part of a transitional period between Care Bear/He-Man drek and the Nicktoons/Spielberg creative explosion - pretty sure they aired on the same block too,
Not to mention their role in the anti-drug cartoon movie special.

Also, both Nick and Garf got racing games, so that's a fun incidence.

That being said, all I know was that the acquisition announcement occurred in 2019, so it might have started last year?

Generally speaking, it depends on series choices. It's exceedingly uncommon to land on characters from a series that's known for its fluid squash and stretch animation that pays homage to Bob Clampett.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So...who do you all think we'll get a moveset post or gameplay showcase for today? We're out of Spongebob characters until further notice.
Last one was Mikey so they should go with Leo today.

I hope that they skip April after that. Not because I hate the characters, but because we already saw a lot from her and I want to see more from the others like Lincoln, Zim, Danny Phantom and Nigel.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Last one was Mikey so they should go with Leo today.

I hope that they skip April after that. Not because I hate the characters, but because we already saw a lot from her and I want to see more from the others like Lincoln, Zim, Danny Phantom and Nigel.
Yea I wanna see if Danny's gonna be able to fly around and if so (which I believe he can) how fluid is his flight movement really.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Yea I wanna see if Danny's gonna be able to fly around and if so (which I believe he can) how fluid is his flight movement really.
Danny is legit the only character I keep forgetting is in this game and I have no idea why. I almost never see anyone talking about him despite him being a decently popular character. I don't dislike him or anything, I just thought it was funny

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Imagine if this game ends up becoming more popular than Smash itself in the west, and Nintendo decides that it's time for Smash to open the gates to "4th party" characters in order to compete with it... Imagine Smash getting Goku for real.

But seriously, this game seems to be very good and promising... it has a lot of potential and I can't wait to try it out. It's really time for a reboot of Smash if they want to keep up with all these smash clones that are becoming better and better, and now are getting extremely popular IPs too; I feel like just adding more characters won't be enough next time.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Kinda weird that we haven't seen a single alternate color/costume yet
Maybe they will be unlockables so they want to keep them secrets. Also something to keep in mind is that it's probbaly hard for the team to change colors of some characters (like in Smash some third party barely change colors like Sonic and Pac-man).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Imagine if this game ends up becoming more popular than Smash itself in the west, and Nintendo decides that it's time for Smash to open the gates to "4th party" characters in order to compete with it... Imagine Smash getting Goku for real.
In a situation where Nintendo thinks "we NEED to keep up with NASB!", I can imagine them being out of touch enough to think "it has TV show characters, Smash doesn't" is what the problem is.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
In a situation where Nintendo thinks "we NEED to keep up with NASB!", I can imagine them being out of touch enough to think "it has TV show characters, Smash doesn't" is what the problem is.
"I don't get it! We added Goku, Shrek, and Darth Vader as playable characters, but we're still the less popular game!"

"Maybe it has to do with our game's lack of competetive mechani-"

"What did I tell you about using that kind of language around here?"

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, that was unexpected! I'm glad we know exactly how Cat and Dog differ now. These two look awesome, and I'm glad they're officially confirmed to be a stance fighter (and they switch with that Down Special punch move, as I predicted last month). CatDog looks like they'll be pretty good, too, with some really nice range, combos, and frame data. STRONG main potential with these two.
(Also, you're telling me that massive Light Down Air SPIKES?? WHAT???)

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...Well now, was not expecting CatDog to be the next showcased fighter. I'm certainly not complaining, though, considering they're one of the fighters I've been the most curious about.

So they're confirmed to be a Stance Fighter, which makes sense, though honestly there wasn't as much variation between the two in regards to the moveset as I was expecting. At the very least, it looks like it's a similar case to Pyra & Mythra, where Cat is the lighter, combo-heavy one and Dog is the slower, more power-centric one. Their animations are also nicely cartoony, and I kind of like that the Special used to switch them around can also attack opponents; that's not something I've seen (at least, not in Smash).

As for their stage, CatDog's House looks like another relatively decent stage with not much going on in it. And the music again sounds decent (although I had to turn the volume up on the video in order to hear it).

Finally, I like that their victory animation references the end of their show's opening where they try to run away from each other, only to snap back. That was a nice detail, as was them jamming out with each other afterwards.

Overall, while I honestly would've preferred a bit more move variance between Cat and Dog, they still look like fun and I'm still eager to try them out!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
...Well now, was not expecting CatDog to be the next showcased fighter. I'm certainly not complaining, though, considering they're one of the fighters I've been the most curious about.

So they're confirmed to be a Stance Fighter, which makes sense, though honestly there wasn't as much variation between the two in regards to the moveset as I was expecting. At the very least, it looks like it's a similar case to Pyra & Mythra, where Cat is the lighter, combo-heavy one and Dog is the slower, more power-centric one. Their animations are also nicely cartoony, and I kind of like that the Special used to switch them around can also attack opponents; that's not something I've seen (at least, not in Smash).

As for their stage, CatDog's House looks like another relatively decent stage with not much going on in it. And the music again sounds decent (although I had to turn the volume up on the video in order to hear it).

Finally, I like that their victory animation references the end of their show's opening where they try to run away from each other, only to snap back. That was a nice detail, as was them jamming out with each other afterwards.

Overall, while I honestly would've preferred a bit more move variance between Cat and Dog, they still look like fun and I'm still eager to try them out!
Same.

Top Bottom