• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
View attachment 324287
Your Reaction: This is our starting roster
I don't get why April would use her modern design if the Turtles aren't. And it would disappoint me if Tommy was the only character not in the reveal trailer or silhouette leak, at least add J/Timmy.

EDIT: **** you meant starting roster as in what you boot up the game with, not all the base game characters, in that case yeah whatever as long as jimmy and/or timmy is unlockable and not dlc

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that the starting roster will be the characters we know right now (minus Lincoln, Lucy, and Powdered Toast Man), but also the other 2 turtles.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 324287
Going with April from the Rise series is an interesting choice, but I would personally prefer her 80's design just for the sake of consistency. Even though I would like the roster size to be between 25-30 characters, I honestly wouldn't complain that much.

Though, I've wondered how Ren & Stimpy would work as a 2 in 1 fighter. Would they be an Ice Climbers scenario where you control Ren and Stimpy just mimics your inputs, or more like a Billy & Mandy from Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion scenario where they work together for moves and share a hurt box?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I don't get why April would use her modern design if the Turtles aren't. And it would disappoint me if Tommy was the only character not in the reveal trailer or silhouette leak, at least add J/Timmy.

EDIT: **** you meant starting roster as in what you boot up the game with, not all the base game characters, in that case yeah whatever as long as jimmy and/or timmy is unlockable and not dlc
actually I meant as in all base game characters in this scenario

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 324287
If we're getting April, I feel like they'll go for the 87 one instead. I mean, Shredder's Revenge's trailer hints at her being playable in that, so.

Other than that...

So getting Tim Curry to voice Nigel in a budget video game was always a long shot, but it's gonna be weird to see him and not hear nonsense like this
They could always get a replacement that's adequate enough. Take Powdered Toast Man, who has had multiple voice actors (with his latest one being Corey Burton in Nicktoons MLB).

Last edited:

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Yeah okay, can we just wait and see what'll happen months after the game launches? Sure, it'll feel empty without voices for a while, but everyone enjoyed Jump Super Stars and that game had no voice acting whatsoever.
Rivals of Aether also doesn't have voice acting and it's still a great platform fighting game. Plus even if we don't get a voice acting patch months after the game's release there will most likely be modders adding in voice clips themselves. Heck, I would even use this opportunity now to start looking for potential voice clips.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
Rivals of Aether also doesn't have voice acting and it's still a great platform fighting game. Plus even if we don't get a voice acting patch months after the game's release there will most likely be modders adding in voice clips themselves. Heck, I would even use this opportunity now to start looking for potential voice clips.
Squidward after getting knocked into the blast zone:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit sad that my conversation on item opportunity didn't spark a single response. Did this conversation exist prior?

Another thing for Nick...I wonder how much of the movesets will be made up, how much will be based on common character aspects, and how much will be made off of single episodes.

That isn't a congruent statement, though.
Games of today cannot be measured against games from the 1990s.
Back then, companies were smaller, memory was more limited, and technical capabilities provided less opportunity for variation.
I feel the only games of comparison you could use would have to be from the last 5-10 years.

(I was counting DLC)
With Slap City not having items, it's probably best not to expect them to show up this time around despite the obvious potential for casual appeal.

Faso115

Smash Lord
There is a chance the game launches with no voice acting but still gets it later down the line in a future update. Apparently that happened with Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid. The game launched with no voice acting but later got voices for everyone, even a few of the original actors reprised their roles

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Plot twist: The game does have voice acting, but it's all s***posters doing impressions of the characters
Eh, not having voice acting is a minor red flag to me, regarding what quality of characters we will get.

With Slap City not having items, it's probably best not to expect them to show up this time around despite the obvious potential for casual appeal.
That could be true...
but then again, if this game really is emulating Smash, like Nick Racers emulates Mario Kart...

I guess we will see.
There is a chance the game launches with no voice acting but still gets it later down the line in a future update. Apparently that happened with Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid. The game launched with no voice acting but later got voices for everyone, even a few of the original actors reprised their roles
I was so shocked with how much I loved this game.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah okay, can we just wait and see what'll happen months after the game launches? Sure, it'll feel empty without voices for a while, but everyone enjoyed Jump Super Stars and that game had no voice acting whatsoever.
I mean Jump Super Stars was based on manga so no voice acting thematically made sense.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Nickelodeon All Star not having voices?

So much for it being a Smash killer due to Ultimate having bad online lag.
It's already looking inferior to Battle for the Grid. If can't surpass Power Rangers than it can't surpass Smash.
Don’t tell me people took the “this will be the Smash killer” stuff seriously…

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don’t tell me people took the “this will be the Smash killer” stuff seriously…
Honestly, I'm looking to enjoy this game on its own merits.
I do hope it does differ from Smash in a good number of ways.
What if we get a good story/one player mode!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It was only a matter of time, before we found out nothing new for absolute certainty after the reveal, and all the eyes of Smash aggression and personal folly were turned towards Nick Brawl in lustful rage...

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
For starters, Smash is still going to appeal more to Japan than a crossover involving Western cartoons.
"Smash Killer" in this context has a bit of an underlying meaning - more as "the competitive Ultimate killer", not "the killer of Smash as a series in all forms". Similar to how PM overtook competitive Brawl for a lot of the latter game's short lifespan.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Smash Killer" in this context has a bit of an underlying meaning - more as "the competitive Ultimate killer", not "the killer of Smash as a series in all forms". Similar to how PM overtook competitive Brawl for a lot of the latter game's short lifespan.
Wavedashing alone isn't going to ensure every competitive Smash player migrates. We still need to make sure it's actually more responsive than Ultimate.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I mean Jump Super Stars was based on manga so no voice acting thematically made sense.
The Old Super Brawl Games were like that too, albeit they were flash games yet they were still good enough to play.

Heck, Even Cartoon Network: Battle Crashers didn't have any voice acting.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...Yeah, while I do still think All-Star Brawl has a very good chance of being at least very good (even without voice-acting/clips), I never bought into the idea of it being a "Smash Killer"; frankly, no platform fighter will ever top Smash Ultimate in my opinion. That said, hopefully the game will still be enjoyable in its own right regardless.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
The Old Super Brawl Games were like that too, albeit they were flash games yet they were still good enough to play.

Heck, Even Cartoon Network: Battle Crashers didn't have any voice acting.
Cartoon Network: Battle Crashers was also published by GameMill

I’m sensing a pattern

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing alone isn't going to ensure every competitive Smash player migrates. We still need to make sure it's actually more responsive than Ultimate.
They're reusing Slap City's engine and that game was more responsive and free form than Ultimate so unless they completely massacre the engine's performance it's likely gonna be more responsive.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
To be honest, hearing that there's no voice acting has made me feel a worried that the game will hurt it's chances of success due to people being so used to all the character's voices it'll be hard for people to play something without the sound of characters talking.

When i play the game i won't let any of those criticisms get to me and get use to the silence for every character for the game and still learn to like everything about it I wish to hope for people to do the same, too

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I dunno why everyone is in doomsday mode after voice acting was disconfirmed. It's a major part of these characters and a huge shame to lack, sure, but what really matters is gameplay. We survive Smash without DK's "OK!", we can do this.
They need to drop another gameplay trailer soon-ish. Using an earlier build of the game for the initial trailer makes it look much rougher than it’s going to actually end up looking

Top Bottom