• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm surprised that Lincoln is a fighter in this game despise being a normal human child.

He's like, going up against a sponge, a ghost boy, freaking Reptar, an evil alien, turtles that are ninjas and a boy who can manipulate and bend elemental powers.

I'm impressed.
Still impressive, but it pales in comparison to what he'll be facing in Smash Bros if Sakurai ever makes him playable.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
looks into Smashboards for literally one second

Does this thread really need to exist? Because if there's one thing that Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl could do without, it's a toxic speculation scene that'll work itself up and get upset once its most anticipated characters are deconfirmed.

EDIT: I mean, I like what I just read in the post above this one. I just don't really think heavy speculation is a habit that should be encouraged.
I've read pretty much every page and I'm not seeing toxicity in the discussion. It's gratifying to see your childhood nostalgia get acknowledged, but almost noone is emotionally invested in whether these characters get in or miss out before we even know if the game is actually fun to play (long-term or short-term)

Anyone who's interested enough to be talking about this already has a brand-new character that they want to play with. The gloves could come off for All-Star Brawl 2, but that's years in the future. For now, I think of speculation as being more fun than the game itself and I feel like that goes for most of the "community-to-be"

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Still impressive, but it pales in comparison to what he'll be facing in Smash Bros if Sakurai ever makes him playable.
Let me guess...
  • A pink thing that eats everything and is way too powerful
  • Murderous space dragon
  • Fire breathing turtle
  • Creatures with elemental powers you catch
  • A plumber that jumps around
  • Lady with demon summoning and time stopping attacks
  • Evil king of darkness aka Ganondorf
  • Galeem and Dharkon who are two gods
If I made my own Smash game, Lincoln would be my first choice for a non-video game rep.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
That’s besides the main point of my post, though. I’ve been doing as meticulous of research into this game as possible, and I’ve arrived at something I’m calling the 28 Theory.

Recently, the Target listing updated, adding a description that confirms two things.
First, that Avatar will get character representation. We knew that already, of course, however it’s the second of the two that’s far more interesting.

The start of the description uses surprisingly careful verbiage to claim All-Star Brawl as, to quote the description exactly, “The Largest Collection of Nickelodeon Characters Ever Assembled In a Fighting Game!”

This would specifically imply two things:

1. There are other Nickelodeon fighting games, all having smaller casts than this. This is true, as “Nick Brawl” is a long-running series that started as a series of flash games and ended up with this game’s predecessor, Nick Super Brawl Universe, which had exactly 27 unique individual fighters, not counting a bunch of costume alts treated separately.

2. A different, non-fighting game crossover has more characters, otherwise the “fighting” specification would be redundant. This is also true. The previous Gamemill game, Kart Grand Prix has 30, the most individual playable characters of a Nickelodeon crossover by far.

Going by this statement, the logical conclusion is that the game has more than 27, and less than 30.

Now, there’s always a chance it could have 29, however 28 is already surprisingly relevant in a fun way, considering everything officially revealed so far.

I always thought it was somewhat weird that the initial trailer had 14 characters. Not 12 or 16 to make it divisible by 4, instead they specifically had 14 and left a character out of half of the groups.

However, I looked over it again, and noticed something: The trailer goes out of its way to also show the exact same number of stages as it does characters, 14 each. What are the odds that the initial trailer was neatly set up to show off exactly half the game, with the other half either announced later or… up to us to find out?

See, there’s another specific number that has caused a lot of fretting around social media: 20. The idea that once we know everyone on the box, we’ll have the entire base roster locked down, no more new surprises until potential DLC.

Press info for this game has also specifically used 20 before as the number of individual stages, while the site says more than 20. How can those two things be correct at the same time? Easy.

My conclusion is that ASB’s base default roster is 20 characters and stages, with an additional eight of each for the player to unlock.

Such a lineup would be the most characters in a Nick fighter while not being the most ever in a Nick game, exactly as the description states.

Also, one other thing: A minute into the trailer, when GIR runs across the screen, there is what genuinely sounds like a voice effect. Easier to hear on the weirdly-mixed JB Hi-Fi upload, though once you catch it you can easily go back to the others and compare the audio.
Very interesting idea. This 28 theory could also line up nicely with the layout of the official NASB website. On the website, the characters are currently listed out in 2 rows of 7 characters each (minus Sandy, but she could easily be placed next to Oblina). Since 28 is divisible by 7, it would perfectly break down into 4 rows of 7 characters

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Very interesting idea. This 28 theory could also line up nicely with the layout of the official NASB website. On the website, the characters are currently listed out in 2 rows of 7 characters each (minus Sandy, but she could easily be placed next to Oblina). Since 28 is divisible by 7, it would perfectly break down into 4 rows of 7 characters
Since we already know 19 characters (if Ren and Stimpy are going to be separate fighters and not a 2-in-1 fighter like the Ice Climbers) that will leave us with 9 fighters left to be confirmed. We will have 20 known characters if the leg on the cover belongs to someone we don't know about yet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Huh. After being extremely underwhelmed by the last… I don’t know, seven DLC, who would’ve guessed that this of all things is what ends up getting me back to Smashboards.

I actually agree with the sentiment that the single-player offering in Ultimate is lacking. “Hey, remember stickers? Well, now they’re everything! Stickers. You win fights, you get stickers that let you win more fights to get more stickers and- wait, what do you mean you never cared for the customization? Well, er, we have Classic… and a gimped Multi-Man Smash that we sort of crushed All-Star into. …Home Run Contest?”

Honestly, if Brawl’s single-player content ends up being even remotely in the vein of Slap City’s, which was basically Melee Adventure Mode with custom text-based stories and fights for each character in between, then I’ll be satisfied, especially since there’s no custom moves.

That’s besides the main point of my post, though. I’ve been doing as meticulous of research into this game as possible, and I’ve arrived at something I’m calling the 28 Theory.

Recently, the Target listing updated, adding a description that confirms two things.
First, that Avatar will get character representation. We knew that already, of course, however it’s the second of the two that’s far more interesting.

The start of the description uses surprisingly careful verbiage to claim All-Star Brawl as, to quote the description exactly, “The Largest Collection of Nickelodeon Characters Ever Assembled In a Fighting Game!”

1. There are other Nickelodeon fighting games, all having smaller casts than this. This is true, as “Nick Brawl” is a long-running series that started as a series of flash games and ended up with this game’s predecessor, Nick Super Brawl Universe, which had exactly 27 unique individual fighters, not counting a bunch of costume alts treated separately.

2. A different, non-fighting game crossover has more characters, otherwise the “fighting” specification would be redundant. This is also true. The previous Gamemill game, Kart Grand Prix has 30, the most individual playable characters of a Nickelodeon crossover by far.

Going by this statement, the logical conclusion is that the game has more than 27, and less than 30.

Now, there’s always a chance it could have 29, however 28 is already surprisingly relevant in a fun way, considering everything officially revealed so far.

I always thought it was somewhat weird that the initial trailer had 14 characters. Not 12 or 16 to make it divisible by 4, instead they specifically had 14 and left a character out of half of the groups.

However, I looked over it again, and noticed something: The trailer goes out of its way to also show the exact same number of stages as it does characters, 14 each. What are the odds that the initial trailer was neatly set up to show off exactly half the game, with the other half either announced later or… up to us to find out?

See, there’s another specific number that has caused a lot of fretting around social media: 20. The idea that once we know everyone on the box, we’ll have the entire base roster locked down, no more new surprises until potential DLC.

Press info for this game has also specifically used 20 before as the number of individual stages, while the site says more than 20. How can those two things be correct at the same time? Easy.

My conclusion is that ASB’s base default roster is 20 characters and stages, with an additional eight of each for the player to unlock.

Such a lineup would be the most characters in a Nick fighter while not being the most ever in a Nick game, exactly as the description states.

Also, one other thing: A minute into the trailer, when GIR runs across the screen, there is what genuinely sounds like a voice effect. Easier to hear on the weirdly-mixed JB Hi-Fi upload, though once you catch it you can easily go back to the others and compare the audio.
Personally I was thinking we'd get a Melee-sized roster, with the remaining characters being as follows:

1. Raphael
  2. Donatello
  3. Ren
  4. Stimpy
  5. Aang
  6. Korra
  7. CatDog
  8. Dora (Movie appearance)
  9. Jimmy Neutron
  10. Timmy Turner
  11. Garfield
If we're getting three more I'd add Snap, Jenny, and Rocko. Then again I'm probably thinking too much like a Smash fan with this selection, and not like a devteam that chose to reveal Helga before Arnold.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Personally I was thinking we'd get a Melee-sized roster, with the remaining characters being as follows:

1. Raphael
  2. Donatello
  3. Ren
  4. Stimpy
  5. Aang
  6. Korra
  7. CatDog
  8. Dora (Movie appearance)
  9. Jimmy Neutron
  10. Timmy Turner
  11. Garfield
If we're getting three more I'd add Snap, Jenny, and Rocko.
That seems like a safe prediction. If Ren & Stimpy are a two-in-one I think Rocko is the most likely of those 3 extras you listed.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Huh. After being extremely underwhelmed by the last… I don’t know, seven DLC, who would’ve guessed that this of all things is what ends up getting me back to Smashboards.

I actually agree with the sentiment that the single-player offering in Ultimate is lacking. “Hey, remember stickers? Well, now they’re everything! Stickers. You win fights, you get stickers that let you win more fights to get more stickers and- wait, what do you mean you never cared for the customization? Well, er, we have Classic… and a gimped Multi-Man Smash that we sort of crushed All-Star into. …Home Run Contest?”

Honestly, if Brawl’s single-player content ends up being even remotely in the vein of Slap City’s, which was basically Melee Adventure Mode with custom text-based stories and fights for each character in between, then I’ll be satisfied, especially since there’s no custom moves.

This is a nice theory, but I rewatch the trailer multiple times and I count 13 stages, not 14. In order of appearances in the trailer:
-New-York rooftops (TMNT)
-Flying Dutchman ship (Spongebob)
-The junkyard (Ahh! Real monsters)
-Glove world (Spongebob)
-Air temple (Avatar)
-Royal woods cemetery (Loud house)
-Sewer (TMNT)
-Technodrome (TMNT)
-Jellyfish fields (Spongebob)
-Space (Invader zim)
-Ghost zone (Danny Phantom)
-The kitchen (Ren & Stimpy)
-The loud house (Loud house)

I do think that 28 characters is a safe bet. I think that even if some of them are unlockables, they will be announced eventually, nothing will really be secret like in Melee or Brawl. According to the leak the game released in early october. So my guess is that we're going to get 3 more trailer, each showing 4-5 new characters while showing more footage of the 14 first characters.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Since we already know 19 characters (if Ren and Stimpy are going to be separate fighters and not a 2-in-1 fighter like the Ice Climbers) that will leave us with 9 fighters left to be confirmed. We will have 20 known characters if the leg on the cover belongs to someone we don't know about yet.
Personally, I feel like Ren & Stimpy might end up being classified as one fighter a la Duck Hunt or Banjo & Kazooie; not necessarily with a second AI-controlled character, but rather two characters that attack in tandem.

With that, though, between the 14 we got in the trailer and the 4 that can potentially be made on the box (Ren & Stimpy, Aang, Korra, and CatDog), that's a roster of 18 fighters with 12 cartoons represented, which is already a pretty solid amount! And hopefully between the trailer and the box, that isn't the entire roster.

Also, I didn't notice that on the website it says "Over 20 stages" compared to the press-release which said exactly 20 stages; that is definitely curious.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Thirty to Thirty Five to me is the sweetspot here, around the size of Smash Brawls. Not too big and not too small.
I think they could hit 30 if they manage to do last minute clones like Smash bros do or fill the roster with semi clones (like maybe the turtles will be all 4 semi clones of each other), but 35 feels a bit ambitious. The game started development in March 2020, which means that it will have only a bit less than 2 years of development (in comparaison, Brawl had almost 3 years of development, with probably a way bigger team than Ludosity).

RingJ5

Smash Ace
This is a nice theory, but I rewatch the trailer multiple times and I count 13 stages, not 14. In order of appearances in the trailer:
-New-York rooftops (TMNT)
-Flying Dutchman ship (Spongebob)
-The junkyard (Ahh! Real monsters)
-Glove world (Spongebob)
-Air temple (Avatar)
-Royal woods cemetery (Loud house)
-Sewer (TMNT)
-Technodrome (TMNT)
-Jellyfish fields (Spongebob)
-Space (Invader zim)
-Ghost zone (Danny Phantom)
-The kitchen (Ren & Stimpy)
-The loud house (Loud house)

I do think that 28 characters is a safe bet. I think that even if some of them are unlockables, they will be announced eventually, nothing will really be secret like in Melee or Brawl. According to the leak the game released in early october. So my guess is that we're going to get 3 more trailer, each showing 4-5 new characters while showing more footage of the 14 first characters.
Damnit, counted the city rooftop stage twice.

Still, though. 28 characters is the more exciting number. Though, there is another more disappointing sort of interpretation that the specific wording they used means that characters like “Zim(with Gir)” and “Ren & Stimpy” count for two, so it could be 26 slots if interpreted that way, less if, say, you have Timmy with Cosmo and Wanda, for an example.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
You know, I feel like if the marketing for this game were smart, they would, at the very least, reveal and showcase all the fighters that are featured on the front of the box; because otherwise, what's the point of keeping them secret when anyone who buys the game can clearly see them being in the game as soon as they buy it?

Also, I'm hoping that this initial trailer isn't it for the game's marketing; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get at least 1-2 more trailers that show-off more of the 14 known fighters while also revealing a few more that we don't know about.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
You know, I feel like if the marketing for this game were smart, they would, at the very least, reveal and showcase all the fighters that are featured on the front of the box; because otherwise, what's the point of keeping them secret when anyone who buys the game can clearly see them being in the game as soon as they buy it?

Also, I'm hoping that this initial trailer isn't it for the game's marketing; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get at least 1-2 more trailers that show-off more of the 14 known fighters while also revealing a few more that we don't know about.
They said on the discord that more news and trailer is coming.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Yeah outside of the blatant troll I'd say most of the discussion has been "Man this is neat and here's what would be cool", no demands of a massive roster and incredible amount of content, but curiousity and interest
Totally, we're not even necessarily done yet and this roster is already better than I could have possibly hoped for upon hearing the words "Nickelodeon Smash clone."

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I'd really love it if the Devs did some 'Sakurai Presents' style videos if they have the time, maybe as 'post release' community related stuff. Not just on character by character basis but to give more in depth looks at any of the more intricate stuff about the game that may or may not be apparent, how to perform/utilize it and so on. If such videos came out for each character they could even give more insight on why they chose said character (Some would be obvious, AKA Spongebob and Patrick) but from their designer standpoint. What it was about that character that they felt would make them the best choice(s) from their respective franchises and such.

I just love 'behind the scenes' candid type stuff from Devs.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Stu doing the Lord's work
I'd really love it if the Devs did some 'Sakurai Presents' style videos if they have the time, maybe as 'post release' community related stuff. Not just on character by character basis but to give more in depth looks at any of the more intricate stuff about the game that may or may not be apparent, how to perform/utilize it and so on. If such videos came out for each character they could even give more insight on why they chose said character (Some would be obvious, AKA Spongebob and Patrick) but from their designer standpoint. What it was about that character that they felt would make them the best choice(s) from their respective franchises and such.

I just love 'behind the scenes' candid type stuff from Devs.
I feel this'd definitely be something the devs would do on their own time, either through Discord or a personal YouTube or Twitter account.

A video discussing the intricacies of the game mechanics and reasoning for picking certain characters just feels off-brand for Nick. They'd probably be afraid that it'd confuse people who just heard about the game and are interested in buying it.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Nick picked Ludosity for more reasons than just knowing how to make a platform fighter.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Totally, we're not even necessarily done yet and this roster is already better than I could have possibly hoped for upon hearing the words "Nickelodeon Smash clone."
It’s funny, the roster selection doesn’t feel like it tries nearly as hard to promote Nick shows as Smash does certain games and yet I’ve felt much more willing to check out Nick stuff, to the point of actually doing so in the case of Aaahh!!! Real Monsters and Danny Phantom

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
It’s funny, the roster selection doesn’t feel like it tries nearly as hard to promote Nick shows as Smash does certain games and yet I’ve felt much more willing to check out Nick stuff, to the point of actually doing so in the case of Aaahh!!! Real Monsters and Danny Phantom
I've been tempted to go back and watch some Real Monsters. It's been at least 10 years since I've seen an episode.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Seeing the TMNT in a (Possibly good) Game again makes me want to go back rewatch and replay all TMNT media again, so you're not wrong.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Did they give an approximate date?
They have not, but I can’t imagine we’ll be waiting too much longer for something, whether it’s a reveal or just more gameplay

Also it seems through reverse engineering the URL someone discovered that Sandy's codename is "diver"

https/nickbrawl.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/diver_portraitBG.png

Last edited:

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've started rewatching Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Hey Arnold, and My Life as a Teenage Robot a few days ago. The jazz music in Hey Arnold is so good.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Seeing the TMNT in a (Possibly good) Game again makes me want to go back rewatch and replay all TMNT media again, so you're not wrong.
Anyone remember that game of the 2007 film where Raph would yell "LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO" literally every time you died?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I grew up with the show; my bias is why I'd want them in the game haha

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 I know it has some WEIRD stuff such as a land shark, a "fart baby", and a Gluteus Maximus Transplant, but I don't recall any forms of unironically disgusting humor.

Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario I cannot confirm nor deny that because I only watched it during its beginning era. It ended production in 2016, which is way past when I kinda left the show, and started watching other things.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I grew up with the show; my bias is why I'd want them in the game haha

Mamboo07 Mamboo07 I know it has some WEIRD stuff such as a land shark, a "fart baby", and a Gluteus Maximus Transplant, but I don't recall any forms of unironically disgusting humor.

Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario I cannot confirm nor deny that because I only watched it during its beginning era. It ended production in 2016, which is way past when I kinda left the show, and started watching other things.
There's a scene where Craig goes inside Sanjay's body in the episode "Road Pizza".
(Oh and the pizza inside his stomach beats like a heart.)

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, this has probably been asked before on this thread, but what Nicktoons do you guys want to see represented (that haven't been revealed or implied yet), and by who?

For me, with the official reveals of both Danny from Danny Phantom and Zim from Invader Zim, as well as Aang from Avatar possibly being on the cover, at this point, the character and NickToon that I'm REALLY gunning for is Jenny "XJ-9" Wakeman from My Life as a Teenage Robot; she'd be a perfect fit for a fighting game with all the different and varied weapons she has at her disposal, and My Life as a Teenage Robot is one of my favorite Nicktoons!

Ugh, that show... I hope Sanjay and Craig don't get in, there's too many good characters to be prioritized.
I feel the exact same way regarding Mr. Meaty; keep that crap as far away from this game as possible!

Top Bottom