• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
he also insists the game won't have a 90's bias even though it clearly already does. Just ignore him
Admittedly Thornberrys and CatDog are both technically more 2000s shows than 90s, but Nick always promote them as part of their 90s lineup so yeah, the 90s bias is probably real - and I'm OK with that. Nick as a brand is synonymous with the 90s so it's not undeserved or unfair.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Admittedly Thornberrys and CatDog are both technically more 2000s shows than 90s, but Nick always promote them as part of their 90s lineup so yeah, the 90s bias is probably real - and I'm OK with that. Nick as a brand is synonymous with the 90s is it's not undeserved or unfair.
they were both 1998 so they're as much 2000's shows as Spongebob and Rocket Power were (both of those released in 1999)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
he also insists the game won't have a 90's bias even though it clearly already does. Just ignore him

come to think of it though, it kind of conflicts to have live action Dora in a roster prediction due to the basic version not being something Nick would maybe want to be in a fighting game, but then at the same time include any of the Rugrats and have it be ok despite them being toddlers? Maybe I should rework it.....
UH... I listed out why your claim of bias is false. If you want to ignore facts, go ahead muchacho. There's not 13/19 characters from the 90s- that's just a fact.

If you guys want to pretend Turtles (literally the 80s) and Spongebob (1999 but more prominent in the last two decades) are on 90s roster, that's your own confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
they were both 1998 so they're as much 2000's shows as Spongebob and Rocket Power were (both of those released in 1999)
I'm assuming the definition of a 90's cartoon is a cartoon that premiered it's debut during the 90's (1990-1999). As far as I can tell, the characters that fit the bill for 90's are:
Reptar, Powdered Toast Man, Ren, Stimpy (All were 1991)
Oblina (1994)
Helga (1996)
Catdog, Nigel Thornberry (1998)
Spongebob, Patrick, Sandy (1999)
Since they're going with the turtles from 1987, I believe they would count as 80's reps

If you guys want to pretend Turtles (literally the 80s) and Spongebob (1999 but more prominent in the last two decades) are on 90s roster, that's your own confirmation bias.
It doesn't matter if Spongebob Squarepants was more prominent in the last 2 decades. The cartoon premiered on May 1st, 1999. Therefore it should be classified as a 90's nicktoon.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Let's get into the years, since I was told I should just be ignored (kinda hurtful tbh) for putting out facts.
  • 1994-1997 Oblina
  • 2004-2007 Danny Phantom
  • 1996-2004 Helga Pataki
  • 2001-2002; 2006 Zim
  • 1991-2004 Reptar
  • 1999-2021+ (plus 2 more shows 2021+) SpongeBob SquarePants
  • Solo Show debuted 2021 Patrick Star
  • See Above Sandy Cheeks
  • 1982- NOW (multimedia) Leonardo
  • See Above Michaelangelo
  • 2016- present Lincoln Loud
  • 2016-presemt Lucy Loud
  • 1991-1996 Powdered Toast Man
  • 1998-2002 Nigel Thornberry
  • 2005-2008 (plus upcoming liveaction) Aang
  • 2012-2014 Korra
  • 1998-2005 Catdog
  • See Above Ren/Stimpy
So of this:
We have 10 characters who debuted in the 90s (and of those, 3 aired more than half their seasons in the 90s, the rest ran at least half, if not almost entirely, into the 00s +). Of all the characters, 15 were on the air (new episodes) during the 2000s.
Spongebob is absolutely not a 90s show- era of generation is far from the most defining factor of a series. It debuted in May of 1999- so exactly 8 months of the decade had Spongebob. Meanwhile, it is now in its 4th decade of existence, airing for the entire duration of two of those decades, and only in this 4th decade has now added two more shows to its repertoire.
Rugrats may have debuted and aired primarily in the 90s, but it has just gotten a modern day reboot- which is a pretty potent statement.
Avatar Studios opened up last year, making any of those characters a pretty big deal, since (i believe) no other Nicktoon has ever had an entire studio devoted to it.

So, if you want to play those numbers as if that is 90s bias- that's really on you, and not reflective of the context of the shows.
  • Majority of the shows were on during the 2000s, many with far more episodes in the 2000s
  • Several of the 90s shows have received reboots since the 90s, with multiple currently airing
  • Many of the shows from the 90s weren't even highly popular until another decade
  • It disregards that 1991 and 1999 are as far apart from each other as 1999 and 2008, and time is not a stepwise function, it is a linear graph
I don't personally disregard all the other information just to say that the 90s is being favored. The next step would be to see how many shows debuted in each decade, and how many of those shows ran for more than 2 seasons. I would heavily bet that the 90s had significantly more debuted shows that ran for over 2 seasons, therefore has a significantly larger pool of characters that would seem viable for play.
Even with that, there is an extreme bias shown for shows that aired new episodes during the 2000s, compared to shows that debuted in the 90s. Therefore, the '00s era of shows,' which consists of shows airing during that decade, regardless of year of conception, is the most represented decade, despite Nickelodeon rising to fame in the 90s. Of the characters in the roster, 13 of the 18/19 (I count Ren and Stimpy as one, but we don't yet actually know) ran for five or more years. I'm not sure how many more shows there are that ran this long (Nicktoon wise) that have a run that long, other than JNBG and FoP.

Another point of note- the three biggest (money wise) franchises (cartoon) that Nintendo owns are Spongebob, TMNT, and Avatar. After this, I believe it is actually the Winx club.

Personal speculation: The shows which got the most publicity for Nickelodeon association are:
  • Rugrats
  • Spongebob
  • TMNT
  • Jimmy Neutron
  • Fairly Odd Parents
  • (I'll acknowledge, from mid 2010s, I wouldn't know)

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
View attachment 324652
this is an interesting nugget of info from a while back that was just discovered (white text is with Ludosity)
1627595832247.png

same person also apparently made a comment about roster size a while back. From what I've seen the absolute highest base roster for a platform fighting game is 24 with the Kung Fu Panda Smash Clone (no I'm not kidding)

24 also tends to be typical roster size of games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice at launch, so 24 being the cap off sounds like a safe bet

We already know of an absolute minimum of 20 (21 if Ren and Stimpy end up being separate characters)

If you factor in Donnie and Raph, that's 22/23

basically hype responsibly

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, if they were to include Nick Jr, what characters would you want (and which are the biggest that you think should be in?)
BIGGEST
  • Franklin
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Blue's Clues
  • Paw Patrol
  • Bob the Builder (Yes we can!)
  • Yo Gabba Gabba
  • Thomas and Friends

Maybe I'd add (personally):
  • Oswald the Octopus
  • Little Bear
  • Max and Ruby
  • Go, Diego, Go

Things I didn't add but, perhaps, should have:
  • WonderPets
  • Backyardigans
  • Max and Ruby
  • Little Bill (For representation; clearly it would be a HUGE controversy)

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
So, if they were to include Nick Jr, what characters would you want (and which are the biggest that you think should be in?)
BIGGEST
  • Franklin
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Blue's Clues
  • Paw Patrol
  • Yo Gabba Gabba
  • Thomas and Friends

• Oswald the Octopus
  • Little Bear
  • Max and Ruby
  • Go, Diego, Go

• WonderPets
  • Backyardigans
  • Max and Ruby
Oswald the Octopus; now there's a name I haven't heard in ages lol! Anyways, for a Nick Jr. rep, I would personally like to see Bob the Builder, Blue, Oswald, or any of the Backyardigans (but would personally push for tyrone)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
BIGGEST
  • Franklin
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Blue's Clues
  • Paw Patrol
  • Yo Gabba Gabba
  • Thomas and Friends

• Oswald the Octopus
  • Little Bear
  • Max and Ruby
  • Go, Diego, Go

• WonderPets
  • Backyardigans
  • Max and Ruby
LazyTown isn't a Nick-owned show, but Robbie Rotten would be absolutely perfect for NASB.

Also, I hate to go all "this sounds like an NDA" on you, but this may be worth thinking about.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
View attachment 324694
same person also apparently made a comment about roster size a while back. From what I've seen the absolute highest base roster for a platform fighting game is 24 with the Kung Fu Panda Smash Clone (no I'm not kidding)

24 also tends to be typical roster size of games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice at launch, so 24 being the cap off sounds like a safe bet

We already know of an absolute minimum of 20 (21 if Ren and Stimpy end up being separate characters)

I thought we only knew 18-19 (Ren and Stimpy)
Who are the other two non-revealed that are not Catdog, Aang, Korra?
(I also wouldn't just assume we get all four turtles, because it is still am assumption)

Of note from this:
The dev (if reliable) says "Base Game."
She didn't say first game.
Base game implies later content.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
BIGGEST
  • Franklin
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Blue's Clues
  • Paw Patrol
  • Yo Gabba Gabba
  • Thomas and Friends

• Oswald the Octopus
  • Little Bear
  • Max and Ruby
  • Go, Diego, Go

• WonderPets
  • Backyardigans
  • Max and Ruby
Paw patrol, Bob the builder, Thomas the tank and Fraklin aren't actually owned by Nick so I really doubt they could be in (I would actually like a lot a Paw patrol character). I don't think Max & Ruby is either but not 100% sure.

Out of these, I could see Blue clue, Dora and Backyardigans being considered. Blue clues and Dora are just very big on their own, and Backyardigans have a big nostalgia surge recently (I think some song of the show went viral on TikTok). I could also see Diego being considered, but I don't see him being in the game before Dora so if we get one it would be Dora, but maybe both could be in (but I'm not expecting a huge roster so I doubt it). I think at best there will be like 2-3 Nick Jr. characters in the game, I don't think they will focus too much on show for preschoolers and very young crowds.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Paw patrol, Bob the builder, Thomas the tank and Fraklin aren't actually owned by Nick so I really doubt they could be in (I would actually like a lot a Paw patrol character). I don't think Max & Ruby is either but not 100% sure.
Didn't know that. Thanks.

Out of these, I could see Blue clue, Dora and Backyardigans being considered. Blue clues and Dora are just very big on their own, and Backyardigans have a big nostalgia surge recently (I think some song of the show went viral on TikTok). I could also see Diego being considered, but I don't see him being in the game before Dora so if we get one it would be Dora, but maybe both could be in (but I'm not expecting a huge roster so I doubt it). I think at best there will be like 2-3 Nick Jr. characters in the game, I don't think they will focus too much on show for preschoolers and very young crowds.
The thing with Nick Jr is- the kids who watched a lot of those shows, are no longer kids.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The thing with Nick Jr is- the kids who watched a lot of those shows, are no longer kids.
That's true, but if they're going with nostalgia pick I think they're better with thing like Spongebob and Danny Phantom for example (I was watching those shows when I was like 6-10 years old) instead of stuff like Dora that everyone stopped to seriously watch after being 4 years old.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
That's true, but if they're going with nostalgia pick I think they're better with thing like Spongebob and Danny Phantom for example (I was watching those shows when I was like 6-10 years old) instead of stuff like Dora that everyone stopped to seriously watch after being 4 years old.
uh yeah, totally stopped watching that show after I turned 4! Totally.....

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
BIGGEST
  • Franklin
  • Dora the Explorer
  • Blue's Clues
  • Paw Patrol
  • Yo Gabba Gabba
  • Thomas and Friends

• Oswald the Octopus
  • Little Bear
  • Max and Ruby
  • Go, Diego, Go

• WonderPets
  • Backyardigans
  • Max and Ruby
Wow Wow Wubbzy was the only nick jr. show i watched during ELEMENTARY, i think he'd work well in the game with his Tail giving him a high range jump(probably not for recovery), though i'm already aware it's not a Nick Original which explains why it's not there.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Isn't Rocko's shirt a button up?
If not, Catdog is just wearing a Romper- put on the way all Rompers are put on.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Well I’ve recently been playing Slap City and I love how it feels so I’m very excited for NickBrawl. One of my favorite aspects of Slap City has to be the characters, literally none of them play like characters from any other platform fighter that I can think of. The closest you get is like Ittle Dew but they’re such a mis-mash of other characters that they feel unique regardless

I really hope the cast of NickBrawl stands out greatly when it comes to gameplay. I also never realized what removing a dash attack allows you to do and now I really hope NickBrawl doesn’t have it either

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 324694

You can tell that Ludosity are slyly banking on Nick approving DLC content (hence the "base game").

LazyTown isn't a Nick-owned show, but Robbie Rotten would be absolutely perfect for NASB.

Also, I hate to go all "this sounds like an NDA" on you, but this may be worth thinking about.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There's no shortage of Nick stuff, so he could be passed over easily unless ViacomCBS/Nick's Garfield show suddenly turns up in the coming months.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Paw Patrol could happen
One of the biggest kids shows nowadays

I see a bunch merch for it and kids balloons for the show in my local supermarket

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
1627684114328.png

old comment again but just discovered by someone so sharing here: if this ain't a hard deconfirm for Donnie and Raph idk what is. Though considering we still have 3 TMNT stages this does make me think April or Shredder are pretty likely instead

Edit:

1627684484477.png

or maybe not??? make up your mind Rep lol

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
View attachment 324800

old comment again but just discovered by someone so sharing here: if this ain't a hard deconfirm for Donnie and Raph idk what is. Though considering we still have 3 TMNT stages this does make me think April or Shredder are pretty likely instead

Edit:

View attachment 324803

or maybe not??? make up your mind Rep lol
This doesn't really feel like a hard disconfirmation to me. The comment is about the TMNT being one slot, which we already figured they weren't judging by the trailer.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
This doesn't really feel like a hard disconfirmation to me. The comment is about the TMNT being one slot, which we already figured they weren't judging by the trailer.
taking both comments into account it kind of reads like "we're not adding all 4 TMNT just because they go together......that being said I do like all 4 TMNT"

I'm paraphrasing of course but kind of comes off like that

Top Bottom