• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
What is 'small' by modern video game standards? I don't recall any modern Fighting Games that are below 30 characters.
How does a small roster test the water, anyway? Yes- they'd want to make sure they can make each character as intricate and detailed, like Smash, as possible. But choosing to make the roster small (instead of to flesh out the characters that exist), doesn't test anything in a game wherein the crossover element is what brings the hype.
It's not all about "bringing hype", this game was already gassed up and hyped a lot. What matters is the sales or the hype doesn't mean ****. This game needs to prioritize quality over quantity (especially when this was made in over a year). A smallish roster is realistic, and will expand if this game is a success.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
What is 'small' by modern video game standards? I don't recall any modern Fighting Games that are below 30 characters.
How does a small roster test the water, anyway? Yes- they'd want to make sure they can make each character as intricate and detailed, like Smash, as possible. But choosing to make the roster small (instead of to flesh out the characters that exist), doesn't test anything in a game wherein the crossover element is what brings the hype.
Small would be, like… base game SFV before any of the DLC released, which had only 16 characters (and this game already exceeds that anyway.)

I think ”testing the waters”, if that is the case, would be mainly on Nick’s part than the devs’ part in that they may not want to spend too much money in buying too much dev time for a game in a genre that they haven’t licensed before. They don’t know how well it‘ll sell, so they may want to start with a low budget.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Small would be, like… base game SFV before any of the DLC released, which had only 16 characters (and this game already exceeds that anyway.)

I think ”testing the waters”, if that is the case, would be mainly on Nick’s part than the devs’ part in that they may not want to spend too much money in buying too much dev time for a game in a genre that they haven’t licensed before. They don’t know how well it‘ll sell, so they may want to start with a low budget.
At the same time, they need to spend enough money on it to give it a fair shot of succeeding at all. Where this balance lies is not really something which we could determine, until it comes out.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I shared earlier in this thread, but I calculated the average roster size of fighting games, factoring in over 100 of them from as early as Street Fighter 2 to as recent as Guilty Gear Strive, and the average starting roster (not counting DLC, pre-order bonuses, or alternate/improved versions of games) got me the number 25.03

So I’d say the average fighting game roster size is 25 and less than that would be considered below average

Though it’s worth mentioning Slap City has 9 fighters and that’s considered one of the best platformer fighting games

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm a bit sad that my conversation on item opportunity didn't spark a single response. Did this conversation exist prior?

Another thing for Nick...I wonder how much of the movesets will be made up, how much will be based on common character aspects, and how much will be made off of single episodes.

I shared earlier in this thread, but I calculated the average roster size of fighting games, factoring in over 100 of them from as early as Street Fighter 2 to as recent as Guilty Gear Strive, and the average starting roster (not counting DLC, pre-order bonuses, or alternate/improved versions of games) got me the number 25.03

So I’d say the average fighting game roster size is 25 and less than that would be considered below average

Though it’s worth mentioning Slap City has 9 fighters and that’s considered one of the best platformer fighting games
That isn't a congruent statement, though.
Games of today cannot be measured against games from the 1990s.
Back then, companies were smaller, memory was more limited, and technical capabilities provided less opportunity for variation.
I feel the only games of comparison you could use would have to be from the last 5-10 years.
Street fighter 5, Mortal kombat X and 11, Injustice 2 and Samurai shodown all have less than 30 characters (unless you were including dlc).
(I was counting DLC)

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I feel the only games of comparison you could use would have to be from the last 5-10 years.
Average Fighting Game Roster Size (only factoring in modern fighting games) (includes Smash) - 27.28
Average Fighting Game Roster Size (only factoring in modern fighting games) (does not include Smash) - 23.79

27.28 + 23.79 / 2 = 25.535

It's still 25 even just factoring in modern fighting games

And this is excluding indie platform fighters like Rivals of Aether and Brawlout

and no DLC shouldn't be counted, anything released post launch should never be included in stats like these

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Average Fighting Game Roster Size (only factoring in modern fighting games) (includes Smash) - 27.28
Average Fighting Game Roster Size (only factoring in modern fighting games) (does not include Smash) - 23.79

27.28 + 23.79 / 2 = 25.535

It's still 25 even just factoring in modern fighting games

And this is excluding indie platform fighters like Rivals of Aether and Brawlout

and no DLC shouldn't be counted, anything released post launch should never be included in stats like these
Interesting.
Why wouldn't Rivals of Aether and Brawlout be counted? Because they have platform launches and are based around continuing characters?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
because they're small budget games compared to others? that's like counting Smash Flash 2

it'd lower the average anyways
They might be lower budget- but they often have more characters.
Brawlhalla has close to 50 (minumum, some pics show 80)
Brawlout a solid 25
Smash Flash has close to 50
Rivals of Aether 14
Kirby Fighters 22

But yes... a lot of ones that are less discussed, even than those- Slap City (which is actually something that should be taken into higher consideration) only has eight, Lethal League seems to have 12, Zoids Wild has 17.... so yeah, your point does stand.
Either way, 25ish isn't that far from my guess of 30.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
They might be lower budget- but they often have more characters.
Brawlhalla has close to 50 (minumum, some pics show 80)
Brawlout a solid 25
Smash Flash has close to 50
Rivals of Aether 14
Kirby Fighters 22

But yes... a lot of ones that are less discussed, even than those- Slap City (which is actually something that should be taken into higher consideration) only has eight, Lethal League seems to have 12, Zoids Wild has 17.... so yeah, your point does stand.
Either way, 25ish isn't that far from my guess of 30.
I actually did include Slap City in my math but yeah I get what you mean. Kind of forgot about Kirby Fighters though

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's also worth noting, that very few of those fighting games are based on the prime marketing lure of being a crossover character event. In said cases, getting fewer characters could be considered more of a gamble. There is certainly a point of dimishing return- that investing time and money into too many characters could be considered a waste, a gamble- but on the converse side, not adding enough might not give it the gas, the hype, it needs to thoroughly take foot.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
It's also worth noting, that very few of those fighting games are based on the prime marketing lure of being a crossover character event. In said cases, getting fewer characters could be considered more of a gamble. There is certainly a point of dimishing return- that investing time and money into too many characters could be considered a waste, a gamble- but on the converse side, not adding enough might not give it the gas, the hype, it needs to thoroughly take foot.
I don’t know how many different ways I can say expecting more than 30 characters at launch is wishful thinking

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At some point it's best to just drop the issue and ignore the user. This is going nowhere fast. :picardpalm:

Anyway, so far 6 Nick IPs are out of the running before we even know anything else about the roster or game. The only question is how many more were plain rejected, even if there's still plenty of stuff that's not accounted for as of yet.

Also, if for some reason Nigel doesn't get a stage based on the Wild Thornberrys, I could see them bring in one based on Legends of the Hidden Temple.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
At some point it's best to just drop the issue and ignore the user. This is going nowhere fast. :picardpalm:

Anyway, so far 6 Nick IPs are out of the running before we even know anything else about the roster or game. The only question is how many more were plain rejected, even if there's still plenty of stuff that's not accounted for as of yet.

Also, if for some reason Nigel doesn't get a stage based on the Wild Thornberrys, I could see them bring in one based on Legends of the Hidden Temple.
Well we know that very few roster picks were turned down by Nick according to the devs, so I imagine it’s not a whole lot of IP’s in this case. But I’d say there’s not much we can really guess on without hearing more from the devs themselves

and a Legends of the Hidden Temple stage would be great

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Just went on PapaGenos's twitter replies.

According to a conversation someone tweeted, voice acting won't be happening for this game.
This is it, right?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
This is it, right?
Ok, so this probably deconfirms new voice lines, but are reused voice lines/voice clips still on the table? Or would the voice actors have to approve of that stuff for it to happen?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It was always doubtful this game had voice acting in the first place as these are big name VAs who would need big name prices even to use archived audio. This is a budget game, so we'll just have to look to modders to fill in the gaps.
I haven't played Nick's recent kart racers but I've heard that they too don't have voice acting. At least they wouldn't have to worry about the so-called Mystery Rider blatantly being Plankton from his voice clips.

Smash Journeyman
It's. Not. All. About. Hype.

Sales and investing resources matter more, this game already got hype and people being interested. It needs to focus on the quality of the game than trying to shove characters for the sake of it at the expense of a game's polish. What's the point of hype and an appealing crossover if the game sucks?

Saying that it has to prioritize "teh hype" is a one way ticket to a game that gets gassed once and immediately dies off once hype lessens due to the game not being enjoyable enough to stick around. This game needs a small roster if Nick All-Stars wants a future.

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice

Sales and investing resources matter more, this game already got hype and people being interested. It needs to focus on the quality of the game than trying to shove characters for the sake of it at the expense of a game's polish. What's the point of hype and an appealing crossover if the game sucks?

Saying that it has to prioritize "teh hype" is a one way ticket to a game that gets gassed once and immediately dies off once hype lessens due to the game not being enjoyable enough to stick around. This game needs a small roster if Nick All-Stars wants a future.
This is a great comment to keep in mind. NASB could have a roster of the best and most popular choices from Nick's cavalcade of characters. However, the roster is only one of the pillars that holds up the foundation of this game. How the game feels to play, the soundtrack, the modes of play, the stages, and the online functionality are all aspects that are just as important when it comes to making this game a fully enjoyable experience.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Hell, it can build hype solely from the QUALITY of the character choices rather than the QUANTITY. And it already has since there's plenty who are loving the idea of getting to pit Nigel against Powdered Toast Man and not just duking it out with safer Nicktoons picks.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can confirm that the game is available to pre-order physically at the usual retail stores. It's time.

It was always doubtful this game had voice acting in the first place as these are big name VAs who would need big name prices even to use archived audio. This is a budget game, so we'll just have to look to modders to fill in the gaps.
Great, so we gotta make sure this thing sells gangbusters for it to get a sequel with actual voice acting, if it doesn't come like two years later.

On the other hand, the Power Rangers fighting game was also a budget game that didn't have voice acting until later patches and it's still getting content to this day, so I dunno. Depends on how many patches Ludosity will be allowed to put in after launch and positive word-of-mouth.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I was speaking in part in hyperbole- of course, mechanics, etc, are important.
But the marketing and interest in the game is derived from it being, primarily, a crossover.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
do we still have no true confirmation on whether the statement about there being no voice acting is legit or did I miss something?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I can confirm that the game is available to pre-order physically at the usual retail stores. It's time.

Great, so we gotta make sure this thing sells gangbusters for it to get a sequel with actual voice acting, if it doesn't come like two years later.

On the other hand, the Power Rangers fighting game was also a budget game that didn't have voice acting until later patches and it's still getting content to this day, so I dunno. Depends on how many patches Ludosity will be allowed to put in after launch and positive word-of-mouth.
I think Power Rangers BFTG is a great comparison actually. It was a budget title but it had a staff of developers who CARED, and because the gameplay was amazing, it grew a great community that kept supporting the game, and now it's a full featured fighting game with a story mode, a nice sized roster, voice acting, great online, and that same rock solid Marvel-esque gameplay people loved.

There's nothing wrong with starting small with a quality foundation and moving on. And Ludosity definitely cares in the same way so as long as the community grows the game will grow too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was speaking in part in hyperbole- of course, mechanics, etc, are important.
But the marketing and interest in the game is derived from it being, primarily, a crossover.
And they're already attracting interest from it being a crossover. Crossovers don't have to include EVERYONE.

Smash Journeyman
"I don't even know if there are any voices" leaves the door open for reused voicelines right? I'd say it's pretty unlikely but that probably can't be completely ruled out right?
Nah, it's very unlikely that there's any voices. Reusing voice clips also requires permission from the original VA I'm sure.

Top Bottom