• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Samus Harang

Smash Cadet
Slap City's Switch version has crossplay, so hopefully we can expect it in NASB sooner or later. Hopefully before Rocko at least.
I was wondering if anyone would bring this up.

Slap City deserves more love and attention from platform fighter fans in general really. The fact it came back suddenly after 2 years with new characters, new costumes, new stages and added visual polish with the Switch release is also very commendable. This wasn't a rush job port, the developers obviously wanted to get it right for the longtime fans.

I don't want to pit the game against Nick Brawl, they are very different, but you can contrast how things go when a development team isn't beholden to publisher demands.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I like the choice of a deep cut for a Garfield track. There aren't many interesting locations in regular Garfield media... although I wouldn't object to a "giant food" dream track. Also, something US Acres related could be very fun to see, even if it would kinda have to just be a basic farm track (and if they were gonna do a Garfield-related farm track they might just ignore US Acres and have it be the farm Jon's family owns anyway).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I like the choice of a deep cut for a Garfield track. There aren't many interesting locations in regular Garfield media... although I wouldn't object to a "giant food" dream track. Also, something US Acres related could be very fun to see, even if it would kinda have to just be a basic farm track (and if they were gonna do a Garfield-related farm track they might just ignore US Acres and have it be the farm Jon's family owns anyway).
driving around and through a giant lasagna does sound amazing

Odie apparently plays a big role in that special so it fits with him being a newcomer
That is true

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
They own all of Paws Inc. Why would that not include US Acres?
well paws was founded after both Garfield and US acres had started so Jim Davis had to buy the rights of all the older comic strips made before hand off his old publishers. So in answer to your question only in a scenario where he did not make sure he still own them when he made paws

I don’t think he got the rights to his old potato head comics

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I don't know, after NASB, I think the Hawaii stage is a nice change of pace. I do hope we get a more traditional Garfield track as well, but as someone who loves the tropics I'm glad this track is here!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't know, after NASB, I think the Hawaii stage is a nice change of pace. I do hope we get a more traditional Garfield track as well, but as someone who loves the tropics I'm glad this track is here!
thing with garfield is i feel that you kinda of have to go for a race track based on one of the tv series or movie. which may have been what you were meaning. anyway the most traditional garfield locations, the house, the fence etc feel like they lend themselves better to a platform fighter stage funnily enough, except perhaps the arbuckle farm. otherwise a bit of creative liberty is needed. though i suppose you could make any farm track dub it arbuckle farm which is sort of what mario kart does

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"We're celebrating TMNT ending 10 years ago today. "

This makes no sense, I just checked and there isn't a single TMNT show that ended 10 years ago.

I did find out that TMNT 2012 premiered 10 years ago, maybe that's what they ment to tweet out?
maybe they’re saying it killed the franchise

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
New TMNT track:

I figured they'd avoid sewers for TMNT so there wouldn't be any overlap with Aaahh!!! Real Monsters tracks most likely involving them.

On a note actually about NASB, when people wish the game's soundtrack involved the actual show themes, they aren't tournament players/watchers are they? DMCA-able music is why certain stages with tourney-friendly layouts have to be banned regardless, like the FFVII stages or various BF/Omega forms.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I figured they'd avoid sewers for TMNT so there wouldn't be any overlap with Aaahh!!! Real Monsters tracks most likely involving them.

On a note actually about NASB, when people wish the game's soundtrack involved the actual show themes, they aren't tournament players/watchers are they? DMCA-able music is why certain stages with tourney-friendly layouts have to be banned regardless, like the FFVII stages or various BF/Omega forms.
Funnily enough, most NASB tournaments I've watched do use music packs that add songs from the shows and earlier licensed games - though while that may not be an issue for a grassroots Discord tornament, I could imagine it being a hassle for major events, like side events at Smash tourneys for example (The Hidden Temple used Cuphead and Undertale music instead of Nick music IIRC) - now I think about it, those tournaments probably cut out the DMCA-able songs too - I certainly hear more licensed game music and APM than theme songs or movie credits.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure we have seen a TMNT sewer track. Unless you mean multiple sewer tracks which then yeah

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
licensed games
This could be a reason they don't get copyright struck-the copyright police would be more concerned about WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA than hearing music that's merely inspired by SpongeBob.

Who owns the songs from those licensed games anyway, Nick, the devs, or the publishers? Nicktoons Racing was able to remix a song from Search for Reptar despite not having the same devs/publishers, but there haven't been any more things like that IIRC.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Funnily enough, most NASB tournaments I've watched do use music packs that add songs from the shows and earlier licensed games - though while that may not be an issue for a grassroots Discord tornament, I could imagine it being a hassle for major events, like side events at Smash tourneys for example (The Hidden Temple used Cuphead and Undertale music instead of Nick music IIRC) - now I think about it, those tournaments probably cut out the DMCA-able songs too - I certainly hear more licensed game music and APM than theme songs or movie credits.
Do you...happen to know any sources were i can find these track packs? i mainly wanna take a look.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This could be a reason they don't get copyright struck-the copyright police would be more concerned about WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA than hearing music that's merely inspired by SpongeBob.

Who owns the songs from those licensed games anyway, Nick, the devs, or the publishers? Nicktoons Racing was able to remix a song from Search for Reptar despite not having the same devs/publishers, but there haven't been any more things like that IIRC.
I can't speak on Nick, but I know that Disney tend to keep the rights to their games' music (hence how the DuckTales reboot could use the Moon theme), while on the opposite side the composer for Ocean's RoboCop game has said that supposedly its' music ended up in a washing machine commercial because of Ocean being contacted and not Orion, the RoboCop rights holders - though this could just be a game of telephone juding from the wording - so it's likely company-to-company.
A142F754-FC75-4791-98CF-9618CAE4BAB8.jpeg

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Do you...happen to know any sources were i can find these track packs? i mainly wanna take a look.
It's recommended you use Slime Mod Manager to install these, it'll automatically install dependencies needed for music to be randomized per stage and for Unity games in general to be modded.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
On a note actually about NASB, when people wish the game's soundtrack involved the actual show themes, they aren't tournament players/watchers are they?
of course not, because like 95%ish of NASB's launch audience was just riding the hype wanting the game to be something its not. Slowly starting to happen with Multiversus as well unfortunately

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I've said this many times before, but I feel the NASB backlash was a real wakeup call to me on just how different my vision of Smash is from the general public's - like y'all play these games just to see Mario fight Sephiroth? Not for the gameplay? You're ASKING for Aang to be a ZONER? I would've thought that "hey look, it's the guy you like, doing the thing they did in the thing you like" novelty wore off for most after the first few rounds. That certainly explains the questionable moveset decisions in modern Smash at least.

I especially don't get the backlash over Jimmy and Timmy's absence - like, I understand being disappointed if you grew up with the Unite games, but not wanting to outright avoid the game just because of it. I've heard people compare it to being like "Smash without Link", but if Smash didn't have Link I also wouldn't get wanting to not play the game just because of it - it's not like Timmy is the Link/Pikachu to SpongeBob's Mario anyway, he certainly had that role at one point but not anymore with Lincoln and the acquisitions around

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I've said this many times before, but I feel the NASB backlash was a real wakeup call to me on just how different my vision of Smash is from the general public's - like y'all play these games just to see Mario fight Sephiroth? Not for the gameplay? You're ASKING for Aang to be a ZONER? I would've thought that "hey look, it's the guy you like, doing the thing they did in the thing you like" novelty wore off for most after the first few rounds. That certainly explains the questionable moveset decisions in modern Smash at least.

I especially don't get the backlash over Jimmy and Timmy's absence - like, I understand being disappointed if you grew up with the Unite games, but not wanting to outright avoid the game just because of it. I've heard people compare it to being like "Smash without Link", but if Smash didn't have Link I also wouldn't get wanting to not play the game just because of it - it's not like Timmy is the Link/Pikachu to SpongeBob's Mario anyway, he certainly had that role at one point but not anymore with Lincoln and the acquisitions around
Don't get me wrong I was also upset that Timmy and Jimmy missed the boat, but I literally grew up with the Unite games, I'd grown accustomed to those two specifically getting short changed, especially over the past couple years, so while I was sad, I wasn't surprised (besides I view the Link to Spongebob's Mario as Danny and I feel like Nicktoons games have always taken that route in general but I digress). Having grown up with Nicktoons games also made me accustomed to new music that sounded similar enough to official stuff and in the case of games like Nicktoons MLB more unconventional choices for character selection, something the large gained mainstream audience just wasn't aware of

I think the best way to explain this dissonance is to look at certain highly requested Smash characters like Banjo-Kazooie and Steve. As someone who genuinely wanted both, I'm very happy we got both, but man am I surprised at the amount of people who previously really wanted these characters now viewing them as boring/cheap (which is like, exactly how I expected them to be seeing as how Banjo is from a 90's platformer franchise and Steve had near limitless moveset potential). Or even Ridley would be a great example. It seems there's a large amount of Smash/platform fighter fans that really want something and push hard for it, to the point of bandwagoning onto whole campaigns, only to never be satisfied in the end. It's all hype with no real passion. Just the latest trend to satiate attention spans until the next new thing comes along. This happens with video games too, anyone remember Untitled Goose Game?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I especially don't get the backlash over Jimmy and Timmy's absence - like, I understand being disappointed if you grew up with the Unite games
To be fair it's not just Unite-if you were watching Nick in the 2000s, you couldn't get away from Timmy and Jimmy. Their inclusion as part of the Unite gang is just evidence of that.

dlewis53

Smash Lord

Eh, agree to disagree regarding modern Smash movesets; I think they work perfectly fine. But yeah, I do agree that people outright avoiding the game due to neither Jimmy or Timmy being in it (yet) is rather petty and only hurts the game's sales.

Don't get me wrong I was also upset that Timmy and Jimmy missed the boat, but I literally grew up with the Unite games, I'd grown accustomed to those two specifically getting short changed, especially over the past couple years, so while I was sad, I wasn't surprised (besides I view the Link to Spongebob's Mario as Danny and I feel like Nicktoons games have always taken that route in general but I digress). Having grown up with Nicktoons games also made me accustomed to new music that sounded similar enough to official stuff and in the case of games like Nicktoons MLB more unconventional choices for character selection, something the large gained mainstream audience just wasn't aware of

I think the best way to explain this dissonance is to look at certain highly requested Smash characters like Banjo-Kazooie and Steve. As someone who genuinely wanted both, I'm very happy we got both, but man am I surprised at the amount of people who previously really wanted these characters now viewing them as boring/cheap (which is like, exactly how I expected them to be seeing as how Banjo is from a 90's platformer franchise and Steve had near limitless moveset potential). Or even Ridley would be a great example. It seems there's a large amount of Smash/platform fighter fans that really want something and push hard for it, to the point of bandwagoning onto whole campaigns, only to never be satisfied in the end. It's all hype with no real passion. Just the latest trend to satiate attention spans until the next new thing comes along. This happens with video games too, anyone remember Untitled Goose Game?
Yeah, I've been there; whenever people claimed that Banjo & Kazooie were "lame" or "uninteresting", I'd ask them "What were you expecting? Them to have a gimmick on the level of Steve?" Like, don't get me wrong; I was disappointed that the only Egg variation featured in their moveset was Grenade Eggs, but I got over it pretty quickly.

And for as much as I think most of the gimmicks in Smash Ultimate work, I will say that Banjo & Kazooie definitely didn't need a gimmick.

And when it comes to All-Star Brawl, having played the game for the several weeks worth of hours, I can say that the movesets are generally satisfying, even despite most of the base roster having at least one example of a copy-and-paste, albeit understandable considering the restrictions the devs were working with.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
is rather petty and only hurts the game's sales.
I think what's worse than that is the complaining that the items and voices came "too late". Theoretically they shouldn't have been too late if they came before MVS launched and just in time for the game to get a newbie boom from PS Plus, but I think a lot of casual gamers like to drop games after a week anyway regardless of how much content they have. Even Smash I believe has this issue, I think a lot of people would rather go "ZOMG SORA AND STEVE IN TEH SAEM GAEM!!!!!111one" than actually play said battles.

Top Bottom