• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord

Samus Harang

Smash Cadet
I don't post much (if at all) but I have been thinking about why ONLY Shredder and Heffer were cut from the roster, and I don't think it is as random of a decision as many people online are making it out to be.

My working hypothesis is that the '87 version of Shredder and Heffer have unique properties to their models that clashed with the current version of NKR3's bike and kart customization system. I will explain my reasoning:

Shredder
One of the most iconic design elements of '87 Shredder is his long and flowing purple cape. Getting the cape to collide with and rest on all possible vehicle parts and have it not be glitchy (important when you are almost always looking at a character's back) would have required its own physics programming for just a single character so it wasn't seen as worth it.

If the game only featured karts then Shredder could simply sit on his cape and that would solve the issue, but the game also has bikes so that makes this an impossible solution.

They could also just remove the cape altogether like the 2012 version (who often fought without one on his show for similar reasons) but we all know Nickelodeon is very overprotective about changing iconic character designs in their licensed video games and this may have simply not been possible.

Heffer
He is a balloon-shaped heavyweight in a game that doesn't currently support this kind of heavyweight, simple as that. Reptar might also be a big guy height-wise but he isn't round like Heffer is. Reptar follows the "rules" of being scaled down enough to fit into any vehicle.

Kart racing games solved this issue a long time ago, but the question for the developers here is whether it was worth it to adjust things like vehicle scaling for just a single character that would need this enabled. For them it was not.

Finally.......
Annnnnnd that's it for a fairly long post. I could somehow be wrong about this but the fact "weird" characters were excluded only in the game that expanded the customization possibilities for the roster makes me believe I am probably not.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Heffer
He is a balloon-shaped heavyweight in a game that doesn't currently support this kind of heavyweight, simple as that. Reptar might also be a big guy height-wise but he isn't round like Heffer is. Reptar follows the "rules" of being scaled down enough to fit into any vehicle.

Kart racing games solved this issue a long time ago, but the question for the developers here is whether it was worth it to adjust things like vehicle scaling for just a single character that would need this enabled. For them it was not.
I think what happened was that his VA, Tom Kenny, was only hired by GameMill to do SpongeBob and Dog voice clips since Heffer's not in NASB.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think what happened was that his VA, Tom Kenny, was only hired by GameMill to do SpongeBob and Dog voice clips since Heffer's not in NASB.
I don't understand this logic - this isn't NASB, and the Heffer voice isn't a separate trademark from Heffer himself. If you replaced Squidina or Cindy with Heffer you're probably not paying any more or less regardless - more to Kenny, sure, but not more in total.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't understand this logic - this isn't NASB, and the Heffer voice isn't a separate trademark from Heffer himself. If you replaced Squidina or Cindy with Heffer you're probably not paying any more or less regardless - more to Kenny, sure, but not more in total.
They would have cut a lot more characters if they decided to go with the NASB roster only.
VAs are paid by the hour. I don't know how long it took Kenny to do all of SpongeBob and Dog's lines for NASB, considering they aren't even 10 minutes combined and that'd include Jim Cummings as Cat, but if it did somehow take around 20-30 minutes per character, they'd have to pay extra to keep him in for Heffer lines.

...on second thought, yeah, clipping might be the issue.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I don't post much (if at all) but I have been thinking about why ONLY Shredder and Heffer were cut from the roster, and I don't think it is as random of a decision as many people online are making it out to be.

My working hypothesis is that the '87 version of Shredder and Heffer have unique properties to their models that clashed with the current version of NKR3's bike and kart customization system. I will explain my reasoning:

Shredder
One of the most iconic design elements of '87 Shredder is his long and flowing purple cape. Getting the cape to collide with and rest on all possible vehicle parts and have it not be glitchy (important when you are almost always looking at a character's back) would have required its own physics programming for just a single character so it wasn't seen as worth it.

If the game only featured karts then Shredder could simply sit on his cape and that would solve the issue, but the game also has bikes so that makes this an impossible solution.

They could also just remove the cape altogether like the 2012 version (who often fought without one on his show for similar reasons) but we all know Nickelodeon is very overprotective about changing iconic character designs in their licensed video games and this may have simply not been possible.

Heffer

Finally.......
Annnnnnd that's it for a fairly long post. I could somehow be wrong about this but the fact "weird" characters were excluded only in the game that expanded the customization possibilities for the roster makes me believe I am probably not.
Huh. You make a great point. Though honestly I still wish they would've cut Jojo anyway and given us literally any character lmao

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Huh. You make a great point. Though honestly I still wish they would've cut Jojo anyway and given us literally any character lmao
I wonder how she's still in, I thought she wanted to part ways with Nick? Wouldn't that make it awkward to bring her back?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I wonder how she's still in, I thought she wanted to part ways with Nick? Wouldn't that make it awkward to bring her back?
From what limited knowledge I do have she has been extremely critical of Nick, especially in the last year or so, but I'm not 100% sure; though I think she probably doesn't care so long as she gets paid :/

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I’m gonna assume the Boating School will probably be one of the first few tracks in the game, right? I mean, it’s intended in-universe for teaching you how to drive, so I can’t imagine it will be a very difficult track. Could probably be the “Luigi Circuit” of this game, even.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m gonna assume the Boating School will probably be one of the first few tracks in the game, right? I mean, it’s intended in-universe for teaching you how to drive, so I can’t imagine it will be a very difficult track. Could probably be the “Luigi Circuit” of this game, even.
Hillwood Rally filled that role for the first two games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think Boating School will be a tutorial track - mostly because there seems to be a really sharp turn in the middle. Unless this game has some kind of auto-turn mechanic or button I don't think they'd put that in a beginner level.
you wouldn't have thought so but games devs are mad

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
D

Deleted member

Guess we're getting 3 characters this week lmao.
They'll probably do that with characters who don't fit into a pair like Odie or Squidina

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
They'll probably do that with characters who don't fit into a pair like Odie or Squidina
Either that, or they've realised that they had a uneven number of unrevealed characters currently, so they decided to randomly reveal one to make it an even number again.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

Guess we're getting 3 characters this week lmao.
289D7C7E-0429-424C-9DFB-C00F23706FF0.jpeg

looks like Mirage Raphael and Purple Reptar are listed separately from their series?

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

Next giveaway on monday, will most likely be the turtles.

Also, pre-orders seem to be going up, with in-game pictures of Zuko and Comic Raphael:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

Next giveaway on monday, will most likely be the turtles.

Also, pre-orders seem to be going up, with in-game pictures of Zuko and Comic Raphael:

and after that Tommy/Angelica.

I love this game, but thwy saved all of the less interesting reveals for last.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
and after that Tommy/Angelica.

I love this game, but thwy saved all of the less interesting reveals for last.
I think these reveals are supposed to be people's first exposure to the game, like if you see it on a feed and you're a Rugrats fan it's like "oh hey, the Rugrats are in this game! Better check it out!" That's why PTM was revealed before Ren & Stimpy and the benders were revealed so late into NASB's pre-launch I believe.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I think these reveals are supposed to be people's first exposure to the game, like if you see it on a feed and you're a Rugrats fan it's like "oh hey, the Rugrats are in this game! Better check it out!" That's why PTM was revealed before Ren & Stimpy and the benders were revealed so late into NASB's pre-launch I believe.
That's true! Still, all of the hype and mystery they're putting behind so many returning characters doesn't make a ton of sense.

Samus Harang

Smash Cadet

This is my preferred preorder bonus method for special editions of games. You are paying $5 more compared to the vanilla ediiton now but it is still $50 total (which everyone else will start paying for vanilla when the game launches) so it doesn't feel like you are being scammed either. It feels more like people who simply don't care about a full roster can just get the real discount.

Compare to Sega's Sonic releases where it feels kind of sleazy how much they nickel and dime you over minor things.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

This one is funny.

It's obviously the turtles tho.

Edit: Oops got :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)