• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah. Don't let some random guy on TV Tropes be justified on putting "Fandom Rivalry" on the YMMV page. That's like, the worst trope in the whole site.
Funny thing is, there isn't a Fandom Rivalry entry on either NASB nor MVS' page for each other. They're both considered Friendly Fandoms instead. I just wish it was a little friendlier.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel like being angry at MVS for fandom's crappy behaviour (not that I've actually seen any of that. Like. At all.) is kinda silly. I'm a fan of plenty of things that have sucky fandoms. For what it's worth the two dev teams have been nothing but supportive to each other.

This isn't me saying you have to care about MVS ethier BTW. Reasons like the microtransactions or not caring about the roster are valid. But turning this into some kind of weird fandom war is doing noone any good.
I've definitely seen some MVS fans who insist on ****ting on NASB at every opportunity. They're few and far between in my experience, but rest assured they are VERY obnoxious to deal with.
But yeah, not worth smearing the entire fandom over. Most of 'em are just trying to enjoy their game and probably don't even care about ours.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But yeah, not worth smearing the entire fandom over. Most of 'em are just trying to enjoy their game and probably don't even care about ours.
True, one plus to MVS being much more successful is that it'd attract people unaware of any controversy over NASB's lack of content at launch.

D

Deleted member

I've definitely seen some MVS fans who insist on ****ting on NASB at every opportunity. They're few and far between in my experience, but rest assured they are VERY obnoxious to deal with.
Oh I definitely don't dobut they exist. Every game will have its toxic defnders like that hell, smash brothers itself is pretty bad for that. Best just to not let such a niche part of it ruin the fun for everyone else.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Oh I definitely don't dobut they exist. Every game will have its toxic defnders like that hell, smash brothers itself is pretty bad for that. Best just to not let such a niche part of it ruin the fun for everyone else.
It probably is harder to find them when they can no longer **** on NASB's lack of items and voices.

On the other hand, the games' playercounts are still enough ammunition for some people to continue ****ting on NASB.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People obsessed with calling every game that isn't Fortnite dead don't bother checking playercounts on other platforms. Most likely because they can't.
Pretty much. I would only call NASB "dead" when the developers pull the plug on the game, end all post-launch updates, and straight up abandon it. Although in that situation NASB won't truly die because as shown with Kart Racers a sequel will surely be on the way.

D

Deleted member

The term "dead game" is meaningless. It means less and less as the Internet means there are more communities for games.

There are even active playerbases for games, mainly MMO's and Shooters, that have had their severs officially shut down. So even being "killed" doesn't matter as much anymore.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The term "dead game" is meaningless. It means less and less as the Internet means there are more communities for games.

There are even active playerbases for games, mainly MMO's and Shooters, that have had their severs officially shut down. So even being "killed" doesn't matter as much anymore.
I personally blame Twitch for the term's popularity. A lot of people seem to use its front page to determine which games they're allowed to like, so when a game slips off of it, it's officially "lame" and "cringe" and bla bla bla.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although I believe that Hugh is coming within the next week or two, and with him we'll get crossplay and a lot of changes and fixes. So many in fact that the patch notes has been said to be 26 pages long.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel NASB did live up to the hype, but a lot of that hype was coming from the wrong audience - people unfamiliar with competitive platform fighters, and people unfamiliar with the current state of the Nickelodeon brand. (especailly within crossovers)
In addition, I think some of these people didn't realize:

A. If you're playing a fighter that isn't SF/Tekken/MK/Smash/MvC or DBFZ depending on the era, you have to deal with the game being niche. King of Fighters, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear pre-Strive, Under Night, etc.'s fanbases were used to playing niche games, but not Smash fans.
B. Even if NASB had more time and money, it still would have less content than SSBU, which was the result of the Switch being weak enough to port Wii U models over and some of the missing veterans being low-effort clones.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
NASB was just a classic example of an overhyped game.
I think "failed to meet impossible expectations while simultaneously failing to meet certain obvious expectations due to crunch and budget" is a better way to put it. I know it's not worth bringing up MVS in here but while I think that game will always have a healthy future and large fanbase (for now anyways.....), NASB has had my heart from the start and no naysayer is gonna change that

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
GameMill who never had that much hope in the project in the first place.
Technically GameMill not giving them enough funds isn't about apathy. It's about the company being a budget publisher in the first place.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel NASB did live up to the hype, but a lot of that hype was coming from the wrong audience - people unfamiliar with competitive platform fighters, and people unfamiliar with the current state of the Nickelodeon brand. (especailly within crossovers)
It didn't help that they revealed it right in the middle of the period between Kazuya and Sora's reveals, which was a spot where Smash hype was an all time high.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Oh cool, so we might be getting Hugh next week? Awesome!

Also, I'm wondering if Hugh's going to get a dedicated trailer alongside the showcase, or if it's just going to be the latter; while technically he was officially revealed in the previous trailer, the only bit of gameplay we got with him there was that shot of him on a motorcycle, and most of the trailer was moreso dedicated to Jenny.

I guess we'll see next week!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And now it's officially confirmed. Hugh is coming on August 5th, along with the fabled 26 patch note patch, which I myself have dubbed the "Mega Patch". This will be the biggest patch ever for the game, and this might be where crossplay is finally added.

D

Deleted member

So Hugh may not be releasing this week after all, we're just getting a preview of him?
It's evo week and this is proablly gonna be the first EVO in a bit with reveals attached. They proablly wanted to get in while all eyes where there.

The switch listing did have him for the 5th so I still think we get him. I wouldn't look too much into the wording.

D

Deleted member

Do we know its being done just on twitter or at evo? I know there's some evo panels tommrow (I think they're doing reveals earlier this year rather than just on Sundays like usual

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom