• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Agree to disagree there.
Everyone agrees that Korra is the worst character in the game. She's the only character who flat out sucks. It's weird that a character who is canonically the most powerful character in their home universe is the worst character here.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Everyone agrees that Korra is the worst character in the game. She's the only character who flat out sucks. It's weird that a character who is canonically the most powerful character in their home universe is the worst character here.
Okay.

I still disagree; I enjoy her quite a bit.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that unfortunately KR3 is gonna go the PTE route and get a lot of soundalike replacements for most characters' VAs. This is because of the large roster and the high amount of big name, expensive VAs they would have to get otherwise like Jim Cummings, Nancy Cartwright, and Frank Welker. NASB got away with it because they only had 23 characters to play around with. KR3 is gonna have 40+ characters.

Baysha

Smash Ace
I think that unfortunately KR3 is gonna go the PTE route and get a lot of soundalike replacements for most characters' VAs. This is because of the large roster and the high amount of big name, expensive VAs they would have to get otherwise like Jim Cummings, Nancy Cartwright, and Frank Welker. NASB got away with it because they only had 23 characters to play around with. KR3 is gonna have 40+ characters.
Well kart racers probably require less budget than fighting games on average. So combined with NASB's success making Nick give higher budgets to games in general, they could still get a decent amount of original VAs.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was already worried that NASB would pull a PTE with its voices since confirming they had VAs on the way didn't mean they would have an unlimited voice acting budget.

But we still got a lot of the original voices, didn't we?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Well kart racers probably require less budget than fighting games on average. So combined with NASB's success making Nick give higher budgets to games in general, they could still get a decent amount of original VAs.
Neither of these theories are based on any precedent, Nickelodeon regularly got voice acting for their games in the 2000’s and stopped making games altogether after Nicktoons MLB was a big budget flop (shocking I know). Fast forward a couple years they began trying to make console games again but didn’t wanna invest as much as before unless they were certain there was money to be made there. If BFBB Rehydrated didn’t break the mold, NASB certainly did and now I’m sure all future Nicktoons console games for the foreseeable future will follow suit

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I was already worried that NASB would pull a PTE with its voices since confirming they had VAs on the way didn't mean they would have an unlimited voice acting budget.

But we still got a lot of the original voices, didn't we?
Yeah we pretty much had every original voice actors. The only characters who didn't had the original voice actors was:
-Oblina: Christine Cavanaugh died in 2014
:-Nigel Thornberry: they probably couldn't get Tim Curry back either because of his stroke
-Toph and Aang: both are child actors who grew up.
-April O' Neil: original actress from 1987 has retired, they could have gone with the Rise voice but my guess is they didn't want because the design is from the original
-Powdered toast man: Gary Owens died in 2015

So unless other characters in the Kart racing games are retired, died or were child actors, I don't see why it would be any different.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
TBH, in the case of NASB: original songs > licensed songs. For every Glove World or Wild Waterfall the soundtrack has two Traffic Jams or Sewer Slams - in fact, I feel some of the worst songs are the ones that try to replicate the theme song like Loud House and Tremorton (Ghost Zone is good though)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah we pretty much had every original voice actors. The only characters who didn't had the original voice actors was:
-Oblina: Christine Cavanaugh died in 2014
:-Nigel Thornberry: they probably couldn't get Tim Curry back either because of his stroke
-Toph and Aang: both are child actors who grew up.
-April O' Neil: original actress from 1987 has retired, they could have gone with the Rise voice but my guess is they didn't want because the design is from the original
-Powdered toast man: Gary Owens died in 2015

So unless other characters in the Kart racing games are retired, died or were child actors, I don't see why it would be any different.
Here we're talking about 40+ characters with 40+ voice actors to hire, many of which cost a lot of money to hire.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
That was just a ****post. Nicktoons crossovers always compose their own songs instead of licensing ones from the shows, it's just considered a problem with NASB because that's not what Smash does.
Heck No, I honestly liked the loud house track and the ghost zone may not sound perfect but it's fine, though i'm mostly defending it cause there is that sweet sick remix someone made using the danny phantom theme song to make a mashup remix.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
MVS getting away with launching with even less content than NASB makes me think the bar was raised absurdly high on NASB because of "SMASH KILLER?!?!??!" ****posts or whatever, then by the time MVS was revealed the bar was lowered to "idk just have voices"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

MVS getting away with launching with even less content than NASB makes me think the bar was raided absurdly high on NASB because of "SMASH KILLER?!?!??!" ****posts or whatever, then by the time MVS was revealed the bar was lowered to "idk just have voices"
One is free and is still in open beta. This feels like a dumb comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Also the game just released, give it time, people will turn on it like they do every platform fighter that isn’t Smash
I wouldn't be so sure. These day 1 numbers are WAY better than any alternative platform fighter, not just Nick.
Unless WB and Player First Games severely drop the ball on this one, I'd assume MultiVersus is here to stay. Even if "hardcore" fans eventually turn on it, it has casual appeal like nothing else in the genre bar Smash.

Baysha

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be so sure. These day 1 numbers are WAY better than any alternative platform fighter, not just Nick.
Unless WB and Player First Games severely drop the ball on this one, I'd assume MultiVersus is here to stay. Even if "hardcore" fans eventually turn on it, it has casual appeal like nothing else in the genre bar Smash.
Though there is also the fact that this is just a good launch. We don't know how many of those players are just checking it out and won't really play it that much later. Personally, I want to try out this game, but do I want to really sink my teeth into it? Nah, not really. Only time will tell how much of those players stay.

D

Deleted member

MVS's devs worked on League. They proablly understand how to make one of these F2P games work.

MVS will live nd die on how often they can update the game and keep it rolling. But consdeirng the leaks imply there are a lot of characters in the can I wouldn't worry much about that.

(I have my problems with some of the ways rhe game currently handles its transactions but I'm hoping they work those out)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
MVS's devs worked on League. They proablly understand how to make one of these F2P games work.

MVS will live nd die on how often they can update the game and keep it rolling. But consdeirng the leaks imply there are a lot of characters in the can I wouldn't worry much about that.

(I have my problems with some of the ways rhe game currently handles its transactions but I'm hoping they work those out)
The microtransactions are definitely a big turnoff for me. Skins can cost up to 20 bucks in in-game currency (which is a whole other can of worms I'm not even gonna touch), and they're asking for 100 smackeroons for the most expensive version of the Founder's Pack. I... what??? Forget microtransactions, that's a MACROtransaction right there. Stuff like this is why I'd rather just pay $20-60 up front than take a chance on a game being "free". Even if they're easily ignorable and you don't "have" to pay for anything, it's not really a good look and doesn't inspire me to check out the game.
More importantly, none of the characters jump out at me and the general presentation of the game makes it feel like a mobile game ported to PC. Even without the predatory pricing, I don't think I'd wanna check it out for those reasons alone.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Stuff like this is why I'd rather just pay $20-60 up front than take a chance on a game being "free".
My favorite F2P games happen to be ones that costed money then became free. TF2 and CSGO were clearly designed to be games first, moneymaking schemes later.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
We’ll see

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My favorite F2P games happen to be ones that costed money then became free. TF2 and CSGO were clearly designed to be games first, moneymaking schemes later.
Yeah, I won't act like TF2 doesn't have some overpriced items (anyone who pays $100 for a Something Special for Someone Special is a goddamn moron), but it's at least a little better about that stuff than MVS is. Combine that with TF2 of course just being a kickass game in general.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Though there is also the fact that this is just a good launch. We don't know how many of those players are just checking it out and won't really play it that much later. Personally, I want to try out this game, but do I want to really sink my teeth into it? Nah, not really. Only time will tell how much of those players stay.
Even if like 20% of the launch player continue playing the number of players would still be way bigger than pretty much every fighting games on pc and we don't even have console numbers which are probably bigger than that.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yeah, I won't act like TF2 doesn't have some overpriced items (anyone who pays $100 for a Something Special for Someone Special is a goddamn moron), but it's at least a little better about that stuff than MVS is. Combine that with TF2 of course just being a kickass game in general.
Back in 2011 I remember so many people I knew defending those god damn diamonds. It was one of the things that really made me resent Valve and its fandom.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

You have some spelling errors.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Back in 2011 I remember so many people I knew defending those god damn diamonds. It was one of the things that really made me resent Valve and its fandom.
Yeesh... weird to imagine a time when people were willing to go to bat for such a comically useless and overpriced item.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
MVS getting away with launching with even less content than NASB makes me think the bar was raised absurdly high on NASB because of "SMASH KILLER?!?!??!" ****posts or whatever, then by the time MVS was revealed the bar was lowered to "idk just have voices"
I love NASB but the game selling itself for $50 to even play the game while you can try MVS for free is a massive difference. Many are more lenient toward F2P too since it's handed out for free and all.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I love NASB but the game selling itself for $50 to even play the game while you can try MVS for free is a massive difference. Many are more lenient toward F2P too since it's handed out for free and all.
I know I gave up thinking MVS would flop when it...actually had a trailer.

I just think we should stop trying to form an alliance with them, because it's extremely one-sided. For every NASB fan praising MVS for just being another crossover platform fighter, there are 1000 MVS fans condemning NASB for not being a Nick reskin of SSBU despite what SSBU's massive roster and stage selection required, which isn't just more time and money.

D

Deleted member

I feel like being angry at MVS for fandom's crappy behaviour (not that I've actually seen any of that. Like. At all.) is kinda silly. I'm a fan of plenty of things that have sucky fandoms. For what it's worth the two dev teams have been nothing but supportive to each other.

This isn't me saying you have to care about MVS ethier BTW. Reasons like the microtransactions or not caring about the roster are valid. But turning this into some kind of weird fandom war is doing noone any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom