• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For one thing I don't think anyone really minded that it had weirdos, they were just concerned that FOP/Jimmy Neutron/MLAATR/Rocko weren't represented as well.
In fact it's BECAUSE the roster in the launch trailer was a mix of usual and unusual picks that this game wasn't immediately thrown into the Crappy Licensed Shovelware bin. I may have wanted Jimmy before Hugh but I can't ignore that.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
For one thing I don't think anyone really minded that it had weirdos, they were just concerned that FOP/Jimmy Neutron/MLAATR/Rocko weren't represented as well.
Even the weird picks generally went with their show's theme though

Oblina is a "Real Monster"
Nigel is a Thornberry and deals with wildlife
Helga's the one who shouts "Hey Arnold!" and is arguably just as much the protagonist as Arnold

But how is it that the show about the boy genius doesn't have the boy genius representing it? That's the problem.

And I really disagree with your assessment anyway. We're supposed to relate to the protagonists of these shows, and they are supposed to be the natural choice for this kind of thing.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So I went ahead and bought the whole Universe Pass, and I'm currently doing some test runs with Jenny (and absolutely loving her), and I've noticed something and I want to get some clarification:

I've noticed that there seems to be a framerate dip whenever a KO happens, and just to be sure, I played a game with Danny instead of Jenny, and it was still happening. Is anyone else noticing this? Or is this possibly just something with the Switch version?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So I went ahead and bought the whole Universe Pass, and I'm currently doing some test runs with Jenny (and absolutely loving her), and I've noticed something and I want to get some clarification:

I've noticed that there seems to be a framerate dip whenever a KO happens, and just to be sure, I played a game with Danny instead of Jenny, and it was still happening. Is anyone else noticing this? Or is this possibly just something with the Switch version?
I noticed it too, also on the Switch version. I kind of assumed it was some slo-mo effect I wasn't remembering since this is the first time I've picked up the game in a while. It's not supposed to do that?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I noticed it too, also on the Switch version. I kind of assumed it was some slo-mo effect I wasn't remembering since this is the first time I've picked up the game in a while. It's not supposed to do that?
No, I was playing the game again just last night, and there was no slowdown whenever a KO happened, so I'm hoping they fix that relatively soon.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Even the weird picks generally went with their show's theme though

Oblina is a "Real Monster"
Nigel is a Thornberry and deals with wildlife
Helga's the one who shouts "Hey Arnold!" and is arguably just as much the protagonist as Arnold

But how is it that the show about the boy genius doesn't have the boy genius representing it? That's the problem.

And I really disagree with your assessment anyway. We're supposed to relate to the protagonists of these shows, and they are supposed to be the natural choice for this kind of thing.
Because repping series’ isn’t this games mantra, it’s cool and fun characters. You’re trying to apply a Smash Bros method to a different game.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Because repping series’ isn’t this games mantra, it’s cool and fun characters. You’re trying to apply a Smash Bros method to a different game.
Hugh is neither cool nor fun. Apply your logic to the turtles and SpongeBob. It wouldn't make sense to be a "Nickelodeon All-Stars" game if it only had Patrick and April to rep those series

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Do we know Jenny's filename?

Hugh is neither cool nor fun. Apply your logic to the turtles and SpongeBob. It wouldn't make sense to be a "Nickelodeon All-Stars" game if it only had Patrick and April to rep those series
I mean, it also wouldn't make sense to be a "Super Smash Bros." game if Peach and Samus are there if you're taking buzzword-based names literally.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Personally, I have faith that Jimmy will be added eventually, but even if he doesn't, Hugh is hilarious and I genuinely don't mind him being the sole rep for the show. If this pass were just Jenny, Jimmy, and Rocko, it'd be predictable and boring since those were basically the top three perceived "most likely" characters anyway (the RTC thread literally has them in that exact order). Even if I wanted Jimmy more, I can respect the testicular fortitude it requires to put his dad in a Nickelodeon fighting game before him. The devs surprised me against all odds while still managing to satisfy me and I applaud them for it.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Personally, I have faith that Jimmy will be added eventually, but even if he doesn't, Hugh is hilarious and I genuinely don't mind him being the sole rep for the show. If this pass were just Jenny, Jimmy, and Rocko, it'd be predictable and boring since those were basically the top three perceived "most likely" characters anyway (the RTC thread literally has them in that exact order). Even if I wanted Jimmy more, I can respect the testicular fortitude it requires to put his dad in a Nickelodeon fighting game before him. The devs surprised me against all odds while still managing to satisfy me and I applaud them for it.
I disagree. I think that getting the obvious ones out of the way so you can experiment and go wild with speculation is the better way to go.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, I have yet to play this game since many of the things I was looking for were not (and still not) present. Jenny might push me to try it out now, and if not, Hugh definitely will when he drops. I imagine that VA stuff will most likely drop or be showcased with Hugh since he feels like the perfect character to have that shown alongside with.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Meanwhile I'm just wondering what MLaaTR's Japanese fanbase's thoughts are on Jenny.

And if her head consistently being at a 3/4 angle was due to complaints about the way Danny looked.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Anyways, I have yet to play this game since many of the things I was looking for were not (and still not) present. Jenny might push me to try it out now, and if not, Hugh definitely will when he drops. I imagine that VA stuff will most likely drop or be showcased with Hugh since he feels like the perfect character to have that shown alongside with.
Imagine if Hugh narrates his own Character Showcase.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I will say this: If Hugh comes with signs that Jimmy won't be future DLC, IE Jimmy making a cameo on his stage or his moveset containing too many of Jimmy's gadgets, then I'd be willing to call Hugh an absolute disappointment.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I will say this: If Hugh comes with signs that Jimmy won't be future DLC, IE Jimmy making a cameo on his stage or his moveset containing too many of Jimmy's gadgets, then I'd be willing to call Hugh an absolute disappointment.
What kind of moves do you all think Hugh is going to have?
Ducks and pie are gonna be in there somewhere for sure.
I hope they have a reference to "HUCK CLUCK LUCK YEAH OOOOOH CARIBOU" in there somewhere too, with the spear.

Heck, Rocko too. Wonder what they've come up with for him particularly.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
What kind of moves do you all think Hugh is going to have?
Ducks and pie are gonna be in there somewhere for sure.
I hope they have a reference to "HUCK CLUCK LUCK YEAH OOOOOH CARIBOU" in there somewhere too, with the spear.

Heck, Rocko too. Wonder what they've come up with for him particularly.
I'd imagine the Jackhammer would be in his moveset, potentially his down smash.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I very much doubt they're going to do anything that would take Jimmy out of the running. Carl and Sheen I can see getting cameos, but I suspect they know they can't do that with Jimmy due to his huge demand. JN in general has gotten scads of fan support that I wouldn't doubt they already know they're going to put in Jimmy and went for Hugh first to get people talking (which it absolutely has and is) and for the sheer humor factor.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
There's also never been a character be both playable and a background character.
????????
King Dedede and Toon Link say hi
And Chrom is part of Robin’s final smash yet is still playable
There’s no precedent for Smash to do it, therefore no reason for NASB to do it either
Yeah I know I just said NASB doesn’t follow by Smash’s rules but that’s in regards to character selection, not stuff like this which has no basis in anything besides fan speculation

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
????????
King Dedede and Toon Link say hi
And Chrom is part of Robin’s final smash yet is still playable
There’s no precedent for Smash to do it, therefore no reason for NASB to do it either
Yeah I know I just said NASB doesn’t follow by Smash’s rules but that’s in regards to character selection, not stuff like this which has no basis in anything besides fan speculation
You can't have it both ways. Either it does follow Smash's example or it doesn't. Smash's example of background characters doesn't affect this game. I want dev words, not stuff by you.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
That's what I think too. If Hugh have a very genius (Boy genius?) and funy moveset I'm all for it. If he just uses Jimmy gadget then I don't really see the point aside from making meme lord on the internet happy.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
That's what I think too. If Hugh have a very genius (Boy genius?) and funy moveset I'm all for it. If he just uses Jimmy gadget then I don't really see the point aside from making meme lord on the internet happy.
I think Hugh will probably have enough to work with. I could have sworn Hugh got a lot more focus and screentime than people are saying he did.
Even if he does use a few gadgets, I can see them being ones that he specifically got a lot of use out of, like the time rewinding remote.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Even if he does use a few gadgets, I can see them being ones that he specifically got a lot of use out of, like the time rewinding remote.
Yeah I'll be fine with Jimmy gadgets that Hugh has used. Just try not to stray beyond that, Ludosity.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
You can't have it both ways. Either it does follow Smash's example or it doesn't. Smash's example of background characters doesn't affect this game. I want dev words, not stuff by you.
It can go both ways depending on what it is that’s being discussed. NASB isn’t following Smash one to one but it’s not afraid to borrow from it either

I know that it was said by a dev I’m just unable to actually go looking for the source atm. But that’s not the point anyways, the point is that there’s no reason to assume otherwise at all, it’s just stupid Smash fan rule bull**** that plagued that franchises speculation scene for years

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It can go both ways depending on what it is that’s being discussed. NASB isn’t following Smash one to one but it’s not afraid to borrow from it either

I know that it was said by a dev I’m just unable to actually go looking for the source atm. But that’s not the point anyways, the point is that there’s no reason to assume otherwise at all, it’s just stupid Smash fan rule bull**** that plagued that franchises speculation scene for years
The "fanrule" vs "ANYTHING GOES" speculation was god awful during FP2.

Let's not bring that miserable Smash baggage into NASB...

Top Bottom