• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Alright, so we've got three new reveals here!

First off, JENNY! HOLY CRAP SHE LOOKS AMAZING! THEY DID A FANTASTIC JOB TRANSLATING HER VISUAL STYLE TO 3D! AND SHE'S COMING FIRST! ON MONDAY, NO LESS! I AM BEYOND HYPED!

Okay, now that that's out of my system, with the other two, I'll be honest: I'm not entirely sure how to feel about Hugh right now; on the one hand, this is kind of hilarious that the memes actually came true, but on the other hand, it feels weird that he's in before Jimmy. Well, I'll wait and see what Hugh's moveset is like before passing full judgment, and hopefully the boy genius gets his shot later on.

Finally, I don't have much to say about Rocko; as others have said, he's felt like a pretty good lock, he's not a fighter I was necessarily rooting for, and I know nothing about his moveset, so we'll see once we're closer to his release date.

Finally, I think it was a good call to reveal all three fighters in one video; it gets people excited and they know what they're getting if they decide to buy the whole pass.

Overall, I'd say this is a very solid first lineup for DLC. Hopefully it does well enough that they're able to do a second Season.

In the meantime, I will be eagerly waiting for Monday to get here so I can play as my girl Jenny!

amageish

Smash Master
Well... You can't say they don't know their audience!!!

I hope they go back and add Jimbo eventually, but I'm glad to see three new series to start us off!

I don't think there is any meme at the same tier as Hugh for us to have to consider. Jimmy's Dad has some fans, but I think the other most-****posted-about NASB character is probably Squidward? Who is too logical for me to actually be like "Well, that's a meme character."

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

I hope they go back and add Jimbo eventually, but I'm glad to see three new series to start us off!

I don't think there is any meme at the same tier as Hugh for us to have to consider. Jimmy's Dad has some fans, but I think the other most-****posted-about NASB character is probably Squidward? Who is too logical for me to actually be like "Well, that's a meme character."
I mean unironically, Barnyard and Otis by that extension has been meme'd like hell, the MMMM COW meme alone set it on the map. I think Otis unironically is very likely now, if his spots on polls wasn't already a good sign for him.

If they're open to Hugh I don't think we should discount the likes of Fanboy and Chum-Chum tbh.
WOAAAAAAAAAAHH

HERE WE GO CUS WE'RE FANBOY AND CHUM CHUM
A LITTLE KOO-KOO FANBOY AND CHUM CHUM

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Squidward isn't exactly a ****post. There's people who think he legitimately feels more like a "proper" third rep for SpongeBob than Sandy.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Alright, so we've got three new reveals here!

First off, JENNY! HOLY CRAP SHE LOOKS AMAZING! THEY DID A FANTASTIC JOB TRANSLATING HER VISUAL STYLE TO 3D! AND SHE'S COMING FIRST! ON MONDAY, NO LESS! I AM BEYOND HYPED!

Okay, now that that's out of my system, with the other two, I'll be honest: I'm not entirely sure how to feel about Hugh right now; on the one hand, this is kind of hilarious that the memes actually came true, but on the other hand, it feels weird that he's in before Jimmy. Well, I'll wait and see what Hugh's moveset is like before passing full judgment, and hopefully the boy genius gets his shot later on.

Finally, I don't have much to say about Rocko; as others have said, he's felt like a pretty good lock, he's not a fighter I was necessarily rooting for, and I know nothing about his moveset, so we'll see once we're closer to his release date.

Finally, I think it was a good call to reveal all three fighters in one video; it gets people excited and they know what they're getting if they decide to buy the whole pass.

Overall, I'd say this is a very solid first lineup for DLC. Hopefully it does well enough that they're able to do a second Season.

In the meantime, I will be eagerly waiting for Monday to get here so I can play as my girl Jenny!
My dude, Jenny is out NOW. I just tried her out and she's amazing.

Yeah there's Otis like everyone said, but the other big meme pick I remember seeing a lot of was....

1652460377376.png

SIMMER DOWN!

amageish

Smash Master
I mean unironically, Barnyard and Otis by that extension has been meme'd like hell, the MMMM COW meme alone set it on the map. I think Otis unironically is very likely now, if his spots on polls wasn't already a good sign for him.
Otis is a solid prediction too! The Paramount rep we, as a community, deserve...

Squidward isn't exactly a ****post. There's people who think he legitimately feels more like a "proper" third rep for SpongeBob than Sandy.
Yeah, Squidward has a lot of unironic support; I just meant that he's the other character I regularly see potato-quality posts about online.

1652460294435.png

This was even a sticker in the NASB discord for a little while...

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So here's my guess.
We already assume items are coming with Rocko.
What if voice acting is coming with Hugh? That'd be the perfect opportunity for it, and would really bring all the Hugh memes full circle.

People do underestimate the beavers a bit but I don't think they're a shoe-in either. Still, they'll probably be talked about a little more once Rocko's on, since they'll be the last non-Doug 90's IP to add.

But yeah, great analysis!
Okay, Rocko's in, everyone. Start asking for Daggett.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Timmy's issue was never Frederator. It was Nelvana, who owns international distribution rights to the first 5 seasons of FOP.
I honestly doubt this is even an issue like people say. Being the distributor for a series in certain territories doesn't entitle them to any rights to the characters or the series itself. If Timmy doesn't get in, it's not because of Nelvana.
YOOOOO LETS GO

MY MAN OTIS HAS A CHANCE

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What if voice acting is coming with Hugh? That'd be the perfect opportunity for it, and would really bring all the Hugh memes full circle.
Part of the reason for the Hugh demand was that his voice actor was A-OK with the idea.

So yeah, it would be full circle.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Hugh before Jimmy sets an awful precedent of choosing meme picks over characters who actually deserve to be in the game. There's no reason they couldn't have waited to do Hugh until after Jimmy, even if they are saving him to reveal with Timmy.

We could've gotten any number of other characters before Hugh.

As much as it pains me to say, y'all better buy them to ensure we get more DLC, though I doubt it.

Two great picks and then they drop the ****ing ball. What a waste of a slot.

Baysha

Smash Ace
Hugh before Jimmy sets an awful precedent of choosing meme picks over characters who actually deserve to be in the game. There's no reason they couldn't have waited to do Hugh until after Jimmy, even if they are saving him to reveal with Timmy.

As much as it pains me to say, y'all better buy them to ensure we get more DLC, though I doubt it.

I liked him.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well, while I'm waiting for the update to finishing downloading, I watched Jenny's showcase, and she looks amazing! Easily new main material!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

It's a Nicktoons game. Literally any character who isn't from Avatar is, in some form or another, a joke character (especially given 80s TMNT is being used). This isn't Dragon Ball where you have your objectively silly comic-relief Arales and Mr. Satans in a sea of badass action heroes and villains, we're talking about Jimmy Neutron. An episodic comedy about an 11-year-old boy and his robot dog who fight "Twonkies" and "Yolkians"

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

7A5D019A-7012-4B21-AEA0-421444E23D8D.jpeg

Flyboy

Smash Hero
To me, this really makes sense. The game is on its last legs, even if it's still fun and I like it, it sadly lost a big base. So what's there to do but to please the people still playing with what were inarguably the three biggest requests? You have Jenny, a popular and underrated character who appeals to a 2000s audience, you have Rocko who is a classic Nicktoon character and great for the 90s crowd, and you have Hugh who has popularity both by being a really funny character and having the voice actor supporting it. If our final characters are Garfield and these three, well, that's something awesome.

To me, it was time to strike hard, and do stuff they may not have gotten the chance to otherwise, hence why they added who they added and when. If they game continues to exist in a decent space and be a fun tournament side-gig, you may see more characters down the line. Jimmy could come, they could go to the well with Otis, you could see Squidward, who knows? It's just cool that we got who we got when we got them.

I mean, really, what other game or set of devs would ask "Hey, fanbase, who are the top three most-wanted characters?" and then actually put the top-three most-wanted characters in? That's cool as hell to me.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
PHENOMENALLY based tbh. Coming off of Smash where it feels like only main characters and villains have a chance of getting in these days, this is a breath of fresh air.
Though at the same time, Hugh was an exceptionally big deal, it doesn't mean we should get Timmy's Dad/Crimson Chin over Timmy, for example. It could happen, but I wouldn't want to see it happening all the time.

GoodGrief and I were discussing who would fill in the shoes for Jenny/Rocko's big four slots now that they're in (in terms of new series to represent), and we both believe Otis and El Tigre will step up to the plate. El Tigre has the same cult status as Teenage Robot and lends itself well to the genre very nicely, so I see this niche pick gaining more support!

Meanwhile, Otis has memes, and his surprising demand coupled with Hugh's inclusion means that meme power is a bigger factor than ever, so Otis' chances have definitely shot up!

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Call me delusional all you want, but I don't think NASB is on "its last legs" - the competitive scene is active if a little secluded by nature of Discord, Hugh has drummed up a lot of attention, the devs have said they aren't getting cut off, and there's really no way of telling how the actual Nick kid audience feels about this game unless you have access to detailed sales statistics (especially given Steam is more of a hardcore gamer thing and this is both a couch kinda game and a kids game). I also think the title of the DLC pack being "Universe Pack - Season Pass" rather than just "Universe Pack" means they at least think there's a chance of more DLC.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
To me, this really makes sense. The game is on its last legs, even if it's still fun and I like it, it sadly lost a big base. So what's there to do but to please the people still playing with what were inarguably the three biggest requests? You have Jenny, a popular and underrated character who appeals to a 2000s audience, you have Rocko who is a classic Nicktoon character and great for the 90s crowd, and you have Hugh who has popularity both by being a really funny character and having the voice actor supporting it. If our final characters are Garfield and these three, well, that's something awesome.

To me, it was time to strike hard, and do stuff they may not have gotten the chance to otherwise, hence why they added who they added and when. If they game continues to exist in a decent space and be a fun tournament side-gig, you may see more characters down the line. Jimmy could come, they could go to the well with Otis, you could see Squidward, who knows? It's just cool that we got who we got when we got them.

I mean, really, what other game or set of devs would ask "Hey, fanbase, who are the top three most-wanted characters?" and then actually put the top-three most-wanted characters in? That's cool as hell to me.
That's the thing though. Hugh has never been one of the biggest three requests. Jimmy always outdoes him in pure numbers. He ranks high, but the top three have never included him or even Rocko. It's been Jenny/Jimmy/Timmy since the start.

So why waste the effort on Hugh if Jimmy will make more people happy? The meme crowd can only carry it so far. In business, the most logical thing to do is pander to the LCD. They experimented a lot in the base roster and it didn't result in the best reception, so why are they doubling down on it now when it's make-or-break?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
This isn't the kind of game where anyone "deserves" to get in. It's about what would be cool and what would be funny.
I remember the Ludosity devs saying Nick's initial roster selection was very predictable and boring. If we went by who "deserves" it, we would basically have that boring, predictable roster. The fact these guys are so willing to think outside the box for characters is honestly really refreshing.

Plus Hugh trended on Twitter for weeks. You can't really dismiss that.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Call me delusional all you want, but I don't think NASB is on "its last legs" - the competitive scene is active if a little secluded by nature of Discord, Hugh has drummed up a lot of attention, the devs have said they aren't getting cut off, and there's really no way of telling how the actual Nick kid audience feels about this game unless you have access to detailed sales statistics (especially given Steam is more of a hardcore gamer thing and this is both a couch kinda game and a kids game). I also think the title of the DLC pack being "Universe Pack - Season Pass" rather than just "Universe Pack" means they at least think there's a chance of more DLC.
There definitely will be if this DLC sells well.

But yeah, when it comes to "side character gets in over main character", I think Hugh is more the exception rather than the norm. He's THE meme pick rather than A meme pick. We didn't also get Sheldon over Jenny, or Heffer over Rocko. Jimmy was still a popular request, if not more than Hugh, so I think it was more of a special case than a standard that every new franchise will follow.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They experimented a lot in the base roster and it didn't result in the best reception
For one thing I don't think anyone really minded that it had weirdos, they were just concerned that FOP/Jimmy Neutron/MLAATR/Rocko weren't represented as well.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I feel like if any game has the right to go wacko with it's character selection, it's this one. Especially since if this becomes a series with multiple games, they're gonna run out of characters eventually since Nickelodeon cartoons is a bit more limited a pool to choose from than Smash's "Video Game Characters" and Multiversus' "Whatever The Hell".

And I think this is supported by the fact that Hugh is trending AGAIN.

And Mark DeCarlo recorded something for it!

Which huh, that was fast, wasn't it? Hmmmm....

Edit: HMMMM

Last edited:
Top Bottom