• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If NASB didn't die from the Sora hype bomb and a very "eh" launch even before and after Sora dropped. No shot it's getting killed by Multiversus. Bet my bottom dollar that will never happen.
Everyone going "yay it's free to play" will quickly shift their tone to "oh, it's free to play" once they get their asses kicked by people who've wasted their life savings buffing Tom & Jerry.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The last recent posts and ones above me are sad. It seems to be a problem to them that people can't enjoy both games.
Thing is, free-to-play games are all about compensating for the fact that most people who download them aren't going to pay for anything. And this perk system:
FEfX2p_XIAUdgQw.jpg

Seems just like the kind of thing they'd want you to pay money for.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The one with Sora dropping grenades?
Just a lot of harsh attitude lately in the thread. Insulting either game doesn't help the communities. And creates bitter reception that the devs wouldn't want.
Thing is, free-to-play games are all about compensating for the fact that most people who download them aren't going to pay for anything. And this perk system:
View attachment 338387
Seems just like the kind of thing they'd want you to pay money for.
Ok? You don't have to play the game if you don't want to.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Just a lot of harsh attitude lately in the thread. Insulting either game doesn't help the communities. And creates bitter reception that the devs wouldn't want.

Ok? You don't have to play the game if you don't want to.
Yeah, admittedly I've gotten a bit irked at how a lot of people I've seen are basically completely dismissing All-Star Brawl because MulitVersus has better technical aspects...even though neither the main gameplay or especially the free-to-play model have been elaborated on.

Speaking of the free-to-play aspect, though, technically speaking, I'm unable to play MulitVersus because as of now, it's not coming to the Switch, but even still, the thing is that a game like this does have quite a bit of potential to be successful (especially with Warner Bros actively supporting it compared to Nick and All-Star Brawl)...but that potential can end up being squandered depending on how the free-to-play model is; if it's just for things like alternate costumes or other aesthetic things, it probably won't be so bad, but if it involves something that can actually affect gameplay, then it becomes a problem.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah, admittedly I've gotten a bit irked at how a lot of people I've seen are basically completely dismissing All-Star Brawl because MulitVersus has better technical aspects...even though neither the main gameplay or especially the free-to-play model have been elaborated on.
Dude, I bet that as soon as the developers do elaborate on the gameplay or the F2P model, people will be dooming on this game left and right and all the people who are raving about how it's gonna "kill" NASB now will be yelling about how it looked like a cheesy cashgrab from the start later. I'm not even saying that to be a jerk, that's just how I'm betting it'll all go down. (I mean, it sure didn't take long for people to start dooming on NASB, a game that's pretty damn solid all around, obvious time constraints aside.)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm sure Multiversus will be absurdly successful no matter what just because... it's free and has IPs people like in it. Brawlhalla is absurdly successful with the same formula. Whether or not Multiversus' monetization model results in the game not being FGC-friendly or not is another thing entirely though...

NASB, meanwhile, just needs a lot of polish and I think it'll be doing perfectly okay by FGC game standards. Not Smash-level, but holding a new fighting game to the standard of "Best-selling fighting game of all time" is very silly...

Multiversus has knocked out some of the speculation-based fandom, but also... Well, I don't think people were likely to be predicting NASB rosters forever as most people don't have infinite hot takes on Nick IPs? As I have said before, I find the bizarrely broad pool of options for Multiversus makes me less interested in speculating for it, but it definitely fosters more discussions when there are hundreds of possible IPs instead of dozens.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
The last recent posts and ones above me are sad. It seems to be a problem to them that people can't enjoy both games.
I'm not insulting Multiversus, I'm very excited for the game and I want both games to co-exist. I'm only saying that Multiversus won't kill NASB which is an undeniable truth. They're far too different.

Dude, I bet that as soon as the developers do elaborate on the gameplay or the F2P model, people will be dooming on this game left and right and all the people who are raving about how it's gonna "kill" NASB now will be yelling about how it looked like a cheesy cashgrab from the start later. I'm not even saying that to be a jerk, that's just how I'm betting it'll all go down. (I mean, it sure didn't take long for people to start dooming on NASB, a game that's pretty damn solid all around, obvious time constraints aside.)
At least this game is still getting big tourneys. The positivity with the commentators is very refreshing (Max and Austy consider this one of their favorite games).

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The alt costumes were gonna be palette swap colours like in Smash but have to be official designs via Nick's rules:
uz228jgsn9181.png

At least we getting cool costumes.

Nick is screwing this game, first not much budget and content, weren't allowed to write their own dialogue for arcade mode and now this.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
The alt costumes were gonna be palette swap colours like in Smash but have to be official designs via Nick's rules:
View attachment 338617

Nick is screwing this game, first not much budget and content, weren't allowed to write their own dialogue for arcade mode and now this.
Guess the whole thing about Nick giving them a lot of freedom was PR nonsense. Wouldn't be shocked if there were more they rejected that we're not being told about...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
View attachment 338617

Not too surprised about this honestly. This is similar to Sonic and Pac man in Smash who doesn't change too much because of Sega and Namco.

I do wonder what they're going to do with characters like Oblina or Powdered toast man who seems to have less material to work with.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Not too surprised about this honestly. This is similar to Sonic and Pac man in Smash who doesn't change too much because of Sega and Namco.

I do wonder what they're going to do with characters like Oblina or Powdered toast man who seems to have less material to work with.
Powdered Toast Man does already have an alt that got datamined, the original PTM sketch has his suit in different colors, and the alt is a reference to that.

Oblina, I have no idea.

amageish

Smash Master
I already figured that is what happened to the alts, but good to have confirmation I suppose.

Really worried about finding 4 alts for characters from more obscure shows and also finding diverse alts for characters like Lucy Loud who wears black 99% of the time...

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Guess the whole thing about Nick giving them a lot of freedom was PR nonsense. Wouldn't be shocked if there were more they rejected that we're not being told about...
I think one character got rejected as a fighter and that was Alex Mack, a live action character.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Powdered Toast Man does already have an alt that got datamined, the original PTM sketch has his suit in different colors, and the alt is a reference to that.
There's also this PTM figure
With a different color scheme than either his normal appearance or the datamined one. Now we just gotta find out who'll be P4. His pastor disguise only adds glasses and a collar, but it's still more distinguishable than default and spiky-eared Pichu I guess.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I already figured that is what happened to the alts, but good to have confirmation I suppose.

Really worried about finding 4 alts for characters from more obscure shows and also finding diverse alts for characters like Lucy Loud who wears black 99% of the time...
There's her ungothed look from "Back in Black", her genderbent counterpart Lars (which changes her name), and so on.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So, While we wait for some news on Nick All-Star Brawl to Come Let's Talk about some other nick related stuff to pass the time.
Recently, Korra got into Death Battle & She Fought Storm from the X-Men

amageish

Smash Master
So, While we wait for some news on Nick All-Star Brawl to Come Let's Talk about some other nick related stuff to pass the time.

Well, as RoosterTeeth is owned by Warner, this is technically a Multiversus topic too. Will they put Death Battle content in their crossover fighter? I do not know, but it would be very very very funny if they did.

Anyway, I haven't actively watched Death Battle in a long time, but this seems pretty darn one-sided given their MO is to take the strongest characteristics someone has across all canon depictions them... and Storm has a large canon where she is sometimes a functionally-invincible literal weather goddess, while Korra has a 4-season TV show where she sometimes can punch things very good.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Well, as RoosterTeeth is owned by Warner, this is technically a Multiversus topic too. Will they put Death Battle content in their crossover fighter? I do not know, but it would be very very very funny if they did.

Anyway, I haven't actively watched Death Battle in a long time, but this seems pretty darn one-sided given their MO is to take the strongest characteristics someone has across all canon depictions them... and Storm has a large canon where she is sometimes a functionally-invincible literal weather goddess, while Korra has a 4-season TV show where she sometimes can punch things very good.
True

And I don't know if Death Battle will be in Multiversus considering it's still in some form still a web series that uses characters from other media, Although it would be funny if they did, especially given that they do plan on having the hosts fight each other for a series finale someday this would be are first taste on how they would fight.
Edit: The Paragraph Above

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As I have said before, I find the bizarrely broad pool of options for Multiversus makes me less interested in speculating for it, but it definitely fosters more discussions when there are hundreds of possible IPs instead of dozens
I know this is a few days old, but just because there's supposedly so many options on the table doesn't mean speculators will actually act like that.

I mean, look at Smash itself-supposedly it has opened the floodgates to every single video game character, but speculation hyperfocusing on Crash, Doomguy, Master Chief, and Cinderace says otherwise. Not to mention, more concentrated crossovers are more suited for deeper cuts. Because NASB is NICKELODEON All-Star Brawl, it's able to feature Nicktoons that aren't Spongebob, The Loud House, and TMNT. If it was Paramount Plus Pummel, Viacom would think Powdered Toast Man would be taking away resources from Captain Picard or Eric Cartman.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, in light of learning about the restrictions with alts, it really does amaze me how the majority of perceived issues with the game (if not straight-up ALL the issues) can be laid firmly at the feet of Nickelodeon and their general lackluster support for the game.
Like I've said before, suddenly, the :ultsonic: and :ultpacman: alts don't sound so bad, huh.

When the first paid DLC batch eventually arrives, we have to show them that they're being fools for having no faith in this game, as it deserves more than to be treated like Bamtang's racers.

It would be funny if Nick took the Multiversus staff's statement of big-name VAs being involved from the start as a personal declaration of challenge though.

That said, I'm starting to lose hope that Garf will be announced by the end of the year, we're running out of holiday specials to watch for anyone betting that he won't get in.

Funny how both the turtles and R&S now have references to their adults-only iterations.
For TMNT, it's pretty much business as usual as almost every post-90s adaptation pooled in some elements from the comics in some way. Makes a lot of sense to do so when Shredder's Revenge's staff also did show Mirage-style palette swaps a while back on Discord.

I don't know what future NASB has ahead of it, but it will be rough.
We know that the staff is getting a full DLC cycle, that's enough for me.

In other news, still no peep on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge getting any further character or release date news. I'd be surprised if they don't announce anything at the Game Awards.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Like I've said before, suddenly, the :ultsonic: and :ultpacman: alts don't sound so bad, huh.

When the first paid DLC batch eventually arrives, we have to show them that they're being fools for having no faith in this game, as it deserves more than to be treated like Bamtang's racers.

It would be funny if Nick took the Multiversus staff's statement of big-name VAs being involved from the start as a personal declaration of challenge though.

That said, I'm starting to lose hope that Garf will be announced by the end of the year, we're running out of holiday specials to watch for anyone betting that he won't get in.

For TMNT, it's pretty much business as usual as almost every post-90s adaptation pooled in some elements from the comics in some way. Makes a lot of sense to do so when Shredder's Revenge's staff also did show Mirage-style palette swaps a while back on Discord.

We know that the staff is getting a full DLC cycle, that's enough for me.

In other news, still no peep on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge getting any further character or release date news. I'd be surprised if they don't announce anything at the Game Awards.
Hopefully, we get some news on Garfield before the end of the year.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, at this rate, regardless of whether or not the next two fighters are indeed Shredder and Garfield, I'm doubtful that we'll be hearing about them before the end of the year; I think for now the team's focus is on putting the alternate costumes together.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Shoutouts to Hbox for continuing to go strong with NASB.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...So, what does Rep mean by "second stick"? Does that refer to the right Joy-Con?

Top Bottom