• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I think I might have found out what my issue with playing online was.

The region was set to auto and I was playing very late at night so it more than likely was trying to match me with people half the world away.

I hopped on this morning with it still set to auto and it worked like a dream. I really hope when the next Smash comes out in 20XX they'll incorporate rollback.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I do feel like some of the bigger names are at least out of the way for this time, especially seeing as including Tekken was one of 4's lingering goals, so that might give more leeway in the future.
Maybe, but I think we need to compare how characters were chosen for the FPs vs. how they were and will be chosen for NASB:

• Supposedly, Sakurai stuck 100% to Nintendo's choices. This means he couldn't flex his creative muscles with characters like Mr. Game & Watch or Ivysaur, and by the time choices made during the Wii U era made it into FP2, it was more like worrying that an MCU movie would fail than having another Wii U on our hands.
  • Ludosity rejected a 100% Nick-decided roster due to being extremely boring, and eventually settled on a mix of their choices+GameMill and Nick's. This allows your Nigels to coexist with your Spongebobs and Lincoln Louds, and for TMNT representation to be less predictable than just going with all four turtles with their 2012 or Rise designs.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I would like to see the sizing of characters adjusted. Toph, Aang, and Korra should be comparable to each other in size but they just... Aren't. Korra is huge by comparison, Aang is sort of middle, and Toph is really small.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I would like to see the sizing of characters adjusted. Toph, Aang, and Korra should be comparable to each other in size but they just... Aren't. Korra is huge by comparison, Aang is sort of middle, and Toph is really small.
Their weight values are really weird too.
Character Weight (Ordered by decreasing weight)
  • Reptar: 160 (1st)
  • Patrick: 140 (2nd)
  • R&S: 133 (3rd)
  • Nigel: 130 (4th)
  • PTM: 124 (5th)
  • Mikey: 122 (6th)
  • Leo: 121 (7th)
  • Korra: 121 (7th)
  • Sandy: 118 (9th)
  • Spongebob: 110 (10th)
  • Lincoln: 106 (11th)
  • Catdog: 102 (12th)
  • Helga: 100 (13th)
  • Toph: 99 (14th)
  • Lucy: 96 (15th)
  • Danny: 95 (16th)
  • Oblina: 95 (16th)
  • April: 93 (18th)
  • Aang: 90 (19th)
  • ZIM: 81 (20th)
Apparently, April is lighter than a bunch of children and characters who are normally the size of an actual starfish, squirrel, and kitchen sponge respectively. I know that's for balance, but still.

GojiraC

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it always looks so odd when I go into a fight against Toph and she looks tiny compared to pretty much any other character I face her with.

amageish

Smash Master
Nick has some people that seem to be out of touch, so it doesn't surprise me. Going outside of their comfort zone very much doesn't seem to be a priority, seeing as they inexplicably let Clyde in for three Nick games in a row, let alone persuading them to use '87 Turtles content.

That being said, it still beats TMNT Smash-Up, which not only had a small roster by modern fighting game standards but also inexplicably had a single character and stage unlockable via a code. Compared to that, this is heaven (especially if we get a full deck of Turtles plus Shredder's mutant goons later).
While I don't have too much good to say about Nick's executives broadly speaking, they seem to have mostly made good decisions here - even if the decisions basically amounted to "Contacting Ludosity, letting them in be charge, and not vetoing weird character choices (expect for the one that would require licensing Larisa Oleynik's likeness)"... As much as I'd love them to have also put in the budget for VO and such from the get-go, I'm not shocked they weren't super confidant in their ability to get an eSport on their first try either.

Rep has already said that DLC will be decided like the base game was, with Ludosity pitching to Nick (though I hope Fair Play Labs will also get to be involved in that process, as they're already kind of drawing the short stick in terms of public recognition), so we'll see what happens this time...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I don't have too much good to say about Nick's executives broadly speaking, they seem to have mostly made good decisions here - even if the decisions basically amounted to "Contacting Ludosity, letting them in be charge, and not vetoing weird character choices (expect for the one that would require licensing Larisa Oleynik's likeness)"... As much as I'd love them to have also put in the budget for VO and such from the get-go, I'm not shocked they weren't super confidant in their ability to get an eSport on their first try either.

Rep has already said that DLC will be decided like the base game was, with Ludosity pitching to Nick (though I hope Fair Play Labs will also get to be involved in that process, as they're already kind of drawing the short stick in terms of public recognition), so we'll see what happens this time...
Sometimes, the stars just align correctly, every once in a blue moon. The same can be said for when Nick contacted DotEmu after the Dragon's Trap remake launched successfully, since they trusted them enough to lend one of their licenses (even if Tribute Games already wanted a piece of that pie at the time 🍕).

Here's a thank you message from Ludosity.
See, even if you won't have any influence on DLC, they'll still listen anyway. Couldn't be prouder of the players. 🎖

This is probably the most heartwarming indie success story I've seen in a while. I think I have something in my eye...
If you think that is something, just wait until Shredder's Revenge finally drops next year or so. Game is already set to please before it's even ready.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Say no more, friend.
Okay now I regret asking because I think I just discovered an unspeakable evil
6162ce2cd3c0a.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I always thought it'd be fun to do a custom background for a character - thus, inspiration struck when watching the latest Nick Knacks.
View attachment 334208
Count Duckula is a really popular character here in the UK, as are most of Cosgrove Hall's creations, so I'd love to see him or Danger Mouse as a guest.
As someone who grew up loving Duckula and Danger Mouse...down the line, yes please.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I always thought it'd be fun to do a custom background for a character - thus, inspiration struck when watching the latest Nick Knacks.
View attachment 334208
Count Duckula is a really popular character here in the UK, as are most of Cosgrove Hall's creations, so I'd love to see him or Danger Mouse as a guest.
As someone who grew up loving Duckula and Danger Mouse...down the line, yes please.
It'd be especially cool seeing them alongside TUFF Puppy characters, as that show has been likened to a modern Danger Mouse (but with Get Smart leanings).

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
https://screenrant.com/nickelodeon-all-star-brawl-goku-dlc-fighter-teased/

This is what people have been clamoring onto to regarding the possibility of Goku happening, it would seem like in terms of possibilities if a third party character happening, this might be the only one we get if it's the one all the focus goes into (which is fine, I'd prefer the main focus to still be main Nicktoons stuff) I know we don't want to clutter this area with too much discussions of third party stuff but yeah thought I'd just mention this after seeing the article in my feed

Also other takeaway is then this meme has real possibility of becoming Canon if it happens lol
otis_defeats_goku_by_jacobthespartan_daomftr-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

This is what people have been clamoring onto to regarding the possibility of Goku happening, it would seem like in terms of possibilities if a third party character happening, this might be the only one we get if it's the one all the focus goes into (which is fine, I'd prefer the main focus to still be main Nicktoons stuff) I know we don't want to clutter this area with too much discussions of third party stuff but yeah thought I'd just mention this after seeing the article in my feed

Also other takeaway is then this meme has real possibility of becoming Canon if it happens lolView attachment 334210
I'm all for guests, including ones with loose or no ties to Nick, as long as they're kept in check and repping the remaining big Nick shows takes higher priority.

I think I'd prefer someone more Scrimblo-y over Goku, but I wouldn't be opposed to his inclusion and would be OK with him being the sole guest.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Also other takeaway is then this meme has real possibility of becoming Canon if it happens lolView attachment 334210
This seems fine all and all, but it would need superhuman levels of negotiation for it to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we go the entire run without any guests, as that initially wasn't something that came in mind for Ludosity (and the article implies Rep wasn't talking Goku specifically).

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Here's a thank you message from Ludosity.
This is pretty cool of them!

Like, I still haven't played the game for myself (hopefully that'll change either on or before this coming Friday), but I can tell that there's quite a bit of love and passion put into the characters they went with (and honestly I feel any rough edges it might have can be chalked up more to Nickelodeon in one way or another), so to see them genuinely thank the players like this is pretty cool!

Plus, it's nice to get affirmation that yes, there will be news soon-ish.

Okay now I regret asking because I think I just discovered an unspeakable evil
View attachment 334205
...Why did you show me this? Now I'll never be able to un-see it.

Honestly, right now, I'd prefer they focus on getting other Nickelodeon cartoon characters in the game (or any potential sequels) before considering potential third-parties.

Heck, even Smash didn't start having third-party characters until its third game (and even then, there were only two).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is pretty cool of them!

Like, I still haven't played the game for myself (hopefully that'll change either on or before this coming Friday), but I can tell that there's quite a bit of love and passion put into the characters they went with (and honestly I feel any rough edges it might have can be chalked up more to Nickelodeon in one way or another), so to see them genuinely thank the players like this is pretty cool!

Plus, it's nice to get affirmation that yes, there will be news soon-ish.

Honestly, right now, I'd prefer they focus on getting other Nickelodeon cartoon characters in the game (or any potential sequels) before considering potential third-parties.

Heck, even Smash didn't start having third-party characters until its third game (and even then, there were only two).
Yeah, seriously. As far as I see, this game is Melee, but with DLC.
In regards to the physical version, I assume it'll come sometime between now and December the 21st. :4pacman:

That said, I was getting bored of waiting for any word on Garfield and/or Shredder, so that part pleasantly caught my attention.

On a side note, I feel kind of guilty for forgetting about The X's, seeing how badly it was screwed over even by Nicktoons standards.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Otis: Listen Goku, I don't want you Kamehamehaing near my barn again,...got that?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
In regards to the physical version, I assume it'll come sometime between now and December the 21st. :4pacman:
Thing is, I spoke to someone from my local Gamestop, and when I brought up the idea of getting a refund due to how long it's taken for their supplier to ship the game as well as the fact that I paid for it in full when I pre-ordered it, they suggested that if it still isn't in by this Friday, I could come in with the receipt and they'd basically make it so the funds I spent would be put on a card I could use to buy the digital version off the eShop.

So either way, I should finally be able to play the game this Friday.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The game couldn’t be alive for more than a week without people trying to meme Goku into the roster could it? :psycho:
I already saw people pointing out that Goku supposedly qualifies because of DBZ Kai on Nicktoons when it was announced.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thing is, I spoke to someone from my local Gamestop, and when I brought up the idea of getting a refund due to how long it's taken for their supplier to ship the game as well as the fact that I paid for it in full when I pre-ordered it, they suggested that if it still isn't in by this Friday, I could come in with the receipt and they'd basically make it so the funds I spent would be put on a card I could use to buy the digital version off the eShop.

So either way, I should finally be able to play the game this Friday.
Fair enough, guess I won't stop you.

On my end I haven't seen the physical version even at Wal-Mart, so I'll wait still. Might randomly pop up on shelves by the next time I browse at Gamestop and I'm encouraging as many sales as possible. :drshrug:

Otis: Listen Goku, I don't want you Kamehamehaing near my barn again,...got that?
Having Otis in would be hilarious even without Goku, really. We don't get much cow martial arts in fighting games.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Having Otis in would be hilarious even without Goku, really. We don't get much cow martial arts in fighting games.

Fun fact: The movie with this cow in it was made by the same guy who made Barnyard. (And that's him fighting the cow, too.) Ultimate foreshadowing right there.

amageish

Smash Master
Weird way to add DLC.

Personally, I would've preferred a poll to get better results.
Fairly certain that's just someone goofing around on the official Twitter. They have specifically said they won't do a Fighter's Ballot equivilant as they think it'd be cruel to set up the expectations that come with such a thing when they know they won't be able to deliver on everyone's wants.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Fun fact: The movie with this cow in it was made by the same guy who made Barnyard. (And that's him fighting the cow, too.) Ultimate foreshadowing right there.
Dollars to donuts that Ludosity knows of it, too.

Barnyard and Kung Pow were made by the same people...

...you did this on purpose didn't you?
Hey, I had to sneak in an Oedekerk reference sooner or later. Not ashamed of it. :4larry:

Besides, the other fighting cow example I could think of is from a really obscure game.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Fair enough, guess I won't stop you.

On my end I haven't seen the physical version even at Wal-Mart, so I'll wait still. Might randomly pop up on shelves by the next time I browse at Gamestop and I'm encouraging as many sales as possible. :drshrug:
Yeah, maybe I'm just frustrated at how long it's taking for them to get the physical version (since I already paid it in full), or maybe I'm a tad impatient (or possibly both), but I'm honestly starting to get tired of waiting.

So as much as I would've liked to have the physical version (both to save space on my Switch and because I like the boxart), at this rate, I'm probably gonna end up getting the digital version unless a miracle happens in the next two days.

Top Bottom