• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Nick "Zoomer" here.

I gotta say that it does alienate me quite a lot. As i grew up with most Nicktoons from 99 onward. Yes, i watched some Hey Arnold and Rocko episodes, but im most familiar with Spongebob, Mlaatr, Jimmy Nuetron and Fop. I have no attachement to most 90's Nick properties outside of respect at best.

The most glaring alienation to me is Ren and Stimpy. No, it isnt' because of the content in the show, or the atrocities that John K. has done (because i practice the "Separate the Art from the Artist" mentality, i still enjoy FoP after all) but because where i live, Chile of Latin America, Ren and Stimpy aired on Nickelodeon for like, a year, far before i was even born. So i only know of Ren and Stimpy for its legacy on Western Animation. If anyting it has aired far more on MTV in Latinamerica or national non-cable channels, so know it has a spot on Nick's line up and legacy, but my attachment is nonexistent.

Doesn't help that the 2 2000's Nicktoons that are on this roster: Danny Phantom and the Last Airbender, are the two Nicktoons i really couldn't care less about. and i haven't watched TV in years so Korra, Loud House or any post-2010 Nicktoon (that isn't the TMNT from the 2012 show, which would i have better han the 80's incarnation IMO) doesn't do it for me.

Also where i live, Jimmy Neutron is fondly remembered and one of the most beloved Nicktoons in general, possibly second only to FoP and Spongebob. So to me excluding Jimmy reminds me of PTE excluding the Eds, which are part of the reason i never bought that game (Ed Edd N Eddy is my favorite show of all time)

If im brutally honest, the roster already dissapointed me and i know how it's gonna go. But im okay with that, since this game is at the end of the day, a licensed Nick Platform Fighter. The fact that Rep said that everyone was entitled to be dissapointed or hyped with the roster makes me respect his choices. I look foward to the game because of the developers seemed to want to make a genuinely good game, and that is good enough for me. Making a good foundation is top priority here, the cool characters can come later.

(still super upset about the Lack of Raph and Donnie, that is the only roster exclusion that upset me)
As a fellow 2000's Nicktoons kid, the only really glaring omissions in my view IP-wise are Fairly Oddparents and Jimmy Neutron (even then, I can excuse Timmy's absence given the apparent lack of Frederator content so far). MLAATR's close due to fitting in with the whole action-hero aesthetic it has going on, but that show was never quite as popular as those two were.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
You know, come to think of it, this only makes the theories about Jenny getting in likelier (in DLC, if she doesn't make it into base):

Badminton involves whacking a projectile back and forth, much like this projectile reflection mechanic seems to work.
I think that one was talked about, and the poster said it didn't mean anything.

As a fellow 2000's Nicktoons kid, the only really glaring omissions in my view IP-wise are Fairly Oddparents and Jimmy Neutron (even then, I can excuse Timmy's exclusion given the apparent lack of Frederator content at this point). MLAATR's close due to fitting in with the whole action-hero aesthetic it has going on, but that show was never quite as popular as those two were.
Yeah, Mlaatr is more of a deep cut, which is why im not surprised it's not in the base roster.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, so we're back to square one for the lack of identified final few base characters, again. Back to the drawing board, again. :pcfire:

I wonder if anyone has tried asking Rep what they'd do the minute they run out of pre-00 characters that interest them.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
...Well, that bites. I was really hoping Jenny could get in.

Now I'm gonna have to pray that Nickelodeon allows the game to have DLC.
I've been thinking about the potential for DLC and while I definitely think it is a fantastic idea and should be implemented, I wouldn't be opposed to the developers pulling a Kart Racers 2 and creating a sequel that is objectively better than the original in just about every conceivable way for NASB.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I've been thinking about the potential for DLC and while I definitely think it is a fantastic idea and should be implemented, I wouldn't be opposed to the developers pulling a Kart Racers 2 and creating a sequel that is objectively better than the original in just about every conceivable way for NASB.
Especially if this game does far above expectations and gives Nick faith in the devs to allot a better budget and more freedom of character choice.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If the game do have dlc, I wonder if (and I hope that) the dev will have more liberty. Something that I could see happen is Otis from Barnyard as dlc. He was a big meme when the game was revealed, he was probably not considered for base game but I think a lot of fans would unironically like him as a dlc. I also think Jenny could have way more chances as dlc. Maybe Shredder and Squidward could also be dlc because they're big characters from already big show. Or it could be funny if the dev considered Dora as dlc after all those talk about leg girl.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
If the game do have dlc, I wonder if (and I hope that) the dev will have more liberty. Something that I could see happen is Otis from Barnyard as dlc. He was a big meme when the game was revealed, he was probably not considered for base game but I think a lot of fans would unironically like him as a dlc. I also think Jenny could have way more chances as dlc. Maybe Shredder and Squidward could also be dlc because they're big characters from already big show. Or it could be funny if the dev considered Dora as dlc after all those talk about leg girl.
As far as DLC go, I want to see Rocko (if he doesnt make it to base game), the beavers, and some obscure nicktoon representation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At minimum, if we wait for a sequel, it would be at least two years from now. Honestly, I'd be fine with this getting the Power Rangers: Battle For the Grid treatment so that there can be an actual lasting competitive scene, lest that this game gets treated like Street Fighter 1.

I already expect Shredder to be DLC as it is, so that's the best case scenario for some prospective characters.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
It's really weird how Jimmy Neutron went from being one of the biggest faces of Nickelodeon, hell even getting his own ride at universal studios, to just barely being mentioned and being omitted from a lot of stuff, including the base roster of this game seemingly.
(this ride was so awesome btw and I'll never forgive Universal Studios for replacing it with a bloody Minions ride)

I do hope he comes as dlc down the line but yeah it is still sad to see the fall from grace regardless.
I choose to blame Planet Sheen for tainting the franchise.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's really weird how Jimmy Neutron went from being one of the biggest faces of Nickelodeon, hell even getting his own ride at universal studios, to just barely being mentioned and being omitted from a lot of stuff, including the base roster of this game seemingly.
(this ride was so awesome btw and I'll never forgive Universal Studios for replacing it with a bloody Minions ride)

I do hope he comes as dlc down the line but yeah it is still sad to see the fall from grace regardless.
The Ant Bully bankrupting DNA could've had an impact too.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

I loved that ride too, but lets face it, every show in that ride besides Spongebob had been over for years by the time the ride got retooled. It was amazing it lasted as long as it did, but it was its time.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I loved that ride too, but lets face it, every show in that ride besides Spongebob had been over for years by the time the ride got retooled. It was amazing it lasted as long as it did, but it was its time.
Yeah, but couldn't it have at least been another Nickelodeon ride like maybe a Spongebob themed one, instead of just removing the last big thing Nickelodeon had in the park for a friggin Minions ride?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah, but couldn't it have at least been another Nickelodeon ride like maybe a Spongebob themed one, instead of just removing the last big thing Nickelodeon had in the park for a friggin Minions ride?
A bit off topic but this remind me of the Spongebob 4d ride which was at my local 6flags. The ride is closed today (but I think it's still open at other parks), but as a kid it was one of my favorite.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
The recent news about projectiles makes me very happy, as I developed a recent appreciation for fighting games that treat projectiles as another thing to interact with and perform counterplay with. One of the many things outdated about Smash is how projectiles can be thrown out virtually for free. NASB not following that route gives any "zoning" way less hatred as there's a risk reward ratio.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
The recent news about projectiles makes me very happy, as I developed a recent appreciation for fighting games that treat projectiles as another thing to interact with and perform counterplay with. One of the many things outdated about Smash is how projectiles can be thrown out virtually for free. NASB not following that route gives any "zoning" way less hatred as there's a risk reward ratio.
Despite my love for characters like Duck Hunt and Banjo Kazooie, I must concur. Every character should be capable of fighting back against a zoner. The fact that they decided to use strong moves to "reflect" them was a smart choice. It also keeps projectiles from being meaningless since I imagine there is going to be lag involved into the mix and that they cannot be spammed mindlessly to black them.

amageish

Smash Master
You know, the theme park ride discussion makes me think... What kinds of non-TV Nicktoon media would you enjoy seeing easter eggs or indirect references to?

Personally, I would enjoy a reference to the Tony-award-winning SpongeBob Squarepants Broadway musical... though that may just be because I really like the sentence "Tony-award-winning SpongeBob Squarepants Broadway musical." It amuses me.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
so I know we already discussed earlier how Timmy, Jimmy and Jenny can probably be ruled out for budget reasons due to needing Frederator and O Productions attached in some way and the dev comment from earlier regarding Timmy and Jimmy implies they're not in.....however, I did some more reading and according to Rob Renzetti (My Life as a Teenage Robot's creator), Nick owns the rights to the MLAATR series. So.......new roster and stage prediction time

1630646885540.png

cashregister9

Smash Hero
You know, the theme park ride discussion makes me think... What kinds of non-TV Nicktoon media would you enjoy seeing easter eggs or indirect references to?

Personally, I would enjoy a reference to the Tony-award-winning SpongeBob Squarepants Broadway musical... though that may just be because I really like the sentence "Tony-award-winning SpongeBob Squarepants Broadway musical." It amuses me.

The Tony was totally deserved because the Musical is very good, Watch it if you can, it's weirdly topical.

and to answer your question a stage based on the Nickelodeon Universe theme parks would be fun

A Stage based on the Nickelodeon Hotel could also be cool

FreeFox

Smash Lord
so I know we already discussed earlier how Timmy, Jimmy and Jenny can probably be ruled out for budget reasons due to needing Frederator and O Productions attached in some way and the dev comment from earlier regarding Timmy and Jimmy implies they're not in.....however, I did some more reading and according to Rob Renzetti (My Life as a Teenage Robot's creator), Nick owns the rights to the MLAATR series. So.......new roster and stage prediction time

View attachment 328908
Great news. Well, we can only hope for the best.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I have very little confidence in Jenny. She doesn't pander to some of the devs nostalgia, got horribly shafted by Nick, and only picked up steam recently during NASB speculation. It'd be cool if she was the surprise pick though.
Yeah it’s not exactly from their youth era, but my logic is if Nick had the foresight to add Jenny into a mobile fighting game, I can imagine the devs behind an actual fighting game would’ve considered her enough to pitch her as a suggestion to Nick. The question is would Nick have approved, and…well I guess we’ll find out in due time

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah it’s not exactly from their youth era, but my logic is if Nick had the foresight to add Jenny into a mobile fighting game, I can imagine the devs behind an actual fighting game would’ve considered her enough to pitch her as a suggestion to Nick. The question is would Nick have approved, and…well I guess we’ll find out in due time
I don't know about you, but I have absolutely no idea why they wouldn't approve of Jenny.

Either way, this latest news about MLAATR's rights is quite a bit of relief; I was concerned about what was going on with Frederator, but now there feels like no real excuse beyond the potential 90s bias from the developers.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
i kinda think that dlc is more likely than a sequel since nick kart racers 2 was supposed to be dlc from the first game and seeing how well nick all star brawl is growing in popularity i think its safe to assume that the game will have dlc eventually
Wait, DLC from the first game?

amageish

Smash Master
The Tony was totally deserved because the Musical is very good, Watch it if you can, it's weirdly topical.

and to answer your question a stage based on the Nickelodeon Universe theme parks would be fun

A Stage based on the Nickelodeon Hotel could also be cool

Oh, I am incredibly familiar with the musical, yes! I kind of wish it got more awards, honestly, but the musical theatre industry does seem to have a bit of a bias against youth-targeted things in general... It is a remarkably good show though and the allegories present in it are weirdly well-developed for a SpongeBob musical.

Theme park would be a great stage! Could add the slime element that a lot of people have been hoping for too... The Nick Hotel is probably most famous for the Defunctland episode about how it flopped at this point, but it also would work nicely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know about you, but I have absolutely no idea why they wouldn't approve of Jenny.

Either way, this latest news about MLAATR's rights is quite a bit of relief; I was concerned about what was going on with Frederator, but now there feels like no real excuse beyond the potential 90s bias from the developers.
On the bright side they'll have absolutely no choice but to move on from the 90s the minute that DLC starts, since Nick doesn't have too many 90s Nicktoons left that aren't already in (also, the conspicuous absence of any Rugrats-related characters besides Reptar, although they might use a loophole).

Granted, there's still 80s TMNT in the way, but even then it's only missing a few important characters.

But yeah, Jenny is a natural fit for a fighting game and isn't a side character like Crimson Chin is.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nick "Zoomer" here.

I gotta say that it does alienate me quite a lot. As i grew up with most Nicktoons from 99 onward. Yes, i watched some Hey Arnold and Rocko episodes, but im most familiar with Spongebob, Mlaatr, Jimmy Nuetron and Fop. I have no attachement to most 90's Nick properties outside of respect at best.

The most glaring alienation to me is Ren and Stimpy. No, it isnt' because of the content in the show, or the atrocities that John K. has done (because i practice the "Separate the Art from the Artist" mentality, i still enjoy FoP after all) but because where i live, Chile of Latin America, Ren and Stimpy aired on Nickelodeon for like, a year, far before i was even born. So i only know of Ren and Stimpy for its legacy on Western Animation. If anyting it has aired far more on MTV in Latinamerica or national non-cable channels, so know it has a spot on Nick's line up and legacy, but my attachment is nonexistent.

Doesn't help that the 2 2000's Nicktoons that are on this roster: Danny Phantom and the Last Airbender, are the two Nicktoons i really couldn't care less about. and i haven't watched TV in years so Korra, Loud House or any post-2010 Nicktoon (that isn't the TMNT from the 2012 show, which would i have better han the 80's incarnation IMO) doesn't do it for me.

Also where i live, Jimmy Neutron is fondly remembered and one of the most beloved Nicktoons in general, possibly second only to FoP and Spongebob. So to me excluding Jimmy reminds me of PTE excluding the Eds, which are part of the reason i never bought that game (Ed Edd N Eddy is my favorite show of all time)

If im brutally honest, the roster already dissapointed me and i know how it's gonna go. But im okay with that, since this game is at the end of the day, a licensed Nick Platform Fighter. The fact that Rep said that everyone was entitled to be dissapointed or hyped with the roster makes me respect his choices. I look foward to the game because of the developers seemed to want to make a genuinely good game, and that is good enough for me. Making a good foundation is top priority here, the cool characters can come later.

(still super upset about the Lack of Raph and Donnie, that is the only roster exclusion that upset me)
Thanks for giving your take.
It definitely could feel lackluster for someone who's new-gen and did like some other newer nick shows. Though I guess also you didn't like certain ones as well, which can be true for anyone, but that does narrow down who you'd like.

In my case there's only a few characters I didn't watch, I know pretty well most of these so it really caters to my generation lol. Though that doesn't mean I still have fondness for all of them, it's been a while XD.
I'll be mostly using certain characters, and then narrow down which playstyles I like best. I'm decently satisfied with the roster, but depending on who the last 2-3 characters are I could be 'very' well satisfied :) (toph, jenny and garfield being my wants)

The roster is small too though (compared to smash), so there can't be too many that will click with 'everyone'..

Also, I'd like to see Timmy (with cosmo and wanda) in it just for the prestige and fanbase of them. I probably wouldn't play them myself, but I think they'd be a great addition.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

View attachment 328908
There are a few important things to keep in mind, though. One is that Renzetti's comment does not rule out co-ownership of the IP, which always seemed like it was the case with the Frederator IPs. The other thing is that the issue with the rights could be more than just ownership alone. For example, the copyright information for NASB explicitly calls out that Danny Phantom's marketing rights belong to Shout Factory. There are lots of rights to consider beyond ownership when it comes to television, and given that Frederator definitely owns at least something of the shows that started on Oh Yeah! Cartoons (TFOP, MLaaTR, ChalkZone), whatever that "something" is is likely what's keeping out the Frederator IPs.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
The roster is small too though (compared to smash), so there can't be too many that will click with 'everyone'..
I think that is an unfair comparison. Yes, it is small compared to Ultimate and 4, but those games were the result of years of building relationships with companies and budget increasing. It's not fair to compare them to Nasb. However, i unironically believe this roster is on par if not even better than Smash 64 and Melee's rosters, It is bigger than Smash 64's and covers more bases and doesn't suffer from Melee's clone infested roster (and even as someone who doesn't mind clones, i must admit that the clone choices for Melee were underwhelming at best, sometimes it isn't about having clone characters, but WHO is the clone character in question)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Everyone even remotely involved with Smash-related speculation really ought to stop trying to be a soothsayer, it doesn't work! :picardpalm:

The best you can hope for is to keep track of every possibility you can think of. When you fire in all directions, you'll eventually hit something.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Rocko
The Angry Beavers
Henry/June
Otto Rocket

Eh, still enough to fill out most of a fighter's pass. Even more so if Stick Stickly gets considered.
Unlike Smash, we don't have developers that worked on the same franchise for two games in a row in a relatively short amount of time, so I think we could at least see more than two passes for this if DLC is approved/demanded enough.

Honestly not sure about Henry/June's chances though. Are they particularly tricky licensing wise?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Are they particularly tricky licensing wise?
Among Kablam, Nick very definitely owns the rights to Henry, June, and Action League Now. H+J basically replaced Stick Stickly after he was retired, and ALN's compilation show was possible due to Nick fully owning the rights to it.

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
Wait, DLC from the first game?
i think they said that nick kart racing 2 was basically gonna be dlc for the first game ,but decided to make a sequel instead probably due it not selling too well to make dlc possible.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Anyone have a link to the the attacks and those they show or 'strong attacks' in the air? (I saw hbox show a quick shot of it)

I think that is an unfair comparison. Yes, it is small compared to Ultimate and 4, but those games were the result of years of building relationships with companies and budget increasing. It's not fair to compare them to Nasb. However, i unironically believe this roster is on par if not even better than Smash 64 and Melee's rosters, It is bigger than Smash 64's and covers more bases and doesn't suffer from Melee's clone infested roster (and even as someone who doesn't mind clones, i must admit that the clone choices for Melee were underwhelming at best, sometimes it isn't about having clone characters, but WHO is the clone character in question)
Oh yeah for sure it's a decent roster, I just meant compared to what we're used to it's smaller :p
If they had at least 6 dlc character, for 28 characters total, I'd feel very good about the size. Not saying I think this is too small, for the budget they had ans also comparing to slap city, but I just like the idea of 28 characters :D

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Anyone have a link to the the attacks and those they show or 'strong attacks' in the air? (I saw hbox show a quick shot of it)

Oh yeah for sure it's a decent roster, I just meant compared to what we're used to it's smaller :p
If they had at least 6 dlc character, for 28 characters total, I'd feel very good about the size. Not saying I think this is too small, for the budget they had ans also comparing to slap city, but I just like the idea of 28 characters :D
Speaking of a fighter pass. I wonder what would the size be. My personal guess is 4 characters but depending on the content, it could also be possible for us to get up to 6.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Among Kablam, Nick very definitely owns the rights to Henry, June, and Action League Now. H+J basically replaced Stick Stickly after he was retired, and ALN's compilation show was possible due to Nick fully owning the rights to it.
In before they include Melt Man as the game's joke character.

Top Bottom