• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When is Pax?

A for the duo discussion. I kinda hope they are our duo character for the game. My main reasoning is that the more gimmicky characters are the ones that havemt been revealed yet. I think all the rest have some sort of gimmick to themselves. My main reason is for different styled gameplay though its just my guess.
Regular Pax is on Friday, but the online one starts on the 15th.

I'm honestly kind of impressed by the movesets in this game. A lot of creativity that you don't usually see in a game that's basically a Smash clone. I think this game will be good.
I mean, considering that the devs did an actual Smash clone before, you lot were worrying for nothing. :smirk:

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
I love how on the one hand, you have moves like Imagination Clap and Order Up that are really great references to the source material and really show that the devs. are just as big of fans of the shows as we are; and on the other hand, one of Spongebob's moves is literally just him sweeping the floor lol

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I'm going to go off topic here, but who do you think will be the final 2 and who do you want as DLC?

I think the final 2 will be Squidward and Shredder. I want characters like Garfield, Mr Krabs, Jimmy and Hugh Neutron for DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm going to go off topic here, but who do you think will be the final 2 and who do you want as DLC?

I think the final 2 will be Squidward and Shredder. I want characters like Garfield, Mr Krabs, Jimmy and Hugh Neutron for DLC.
Final 2 I think would be Rocko and Jenny. Of course, I can't see that as a solid guarantee just yet.

As for DLC, I'd love to have Shredder, El Tigre and Kitty (also, Jenny if she isn't in base).

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
So, this confirms the slap city mechanic of charged aerial moves?
Looks like it. Also, I'm not noticing any type of back aerial. Are those not present in Slap City?

Right now, I'm thinking the final 2 characters will be Rocko and Luna Loud

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I love how on the one hand, you have moves like Imagination Clap and Order Up that are really great references to the source material and really show that the devs. are just as big of fans of the shows as we are; and on the other hand, one of Spongebob's moves is literally just him sweeping the floor lol
Ah, but that is also a reference!

1630517138740.png

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Is this under the assumption that Ren and Stimpy are a duo or one character?

My guesses are Avatar gets a new characters and either Rocko or Garfield get in if there are only two missing characters

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Is this under the assumption that Ren and Stimpy are a duo or one character?

My guesses are Avatar gets a new characters and either Rocko or Garfield get in if there are only two missing characters
I'm pretty sure Ren and Stimpy are 2 characters because of how they are placed on the box art. With Aang, Korra, Ren, Stimpy and them saying that there were six characters left after the reveal of Catdog and April, it leaves us with 2.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Aerial Smashes, but no side specials. A soul for a soul.

Anyway uh I'm not gonna name anyone specific but I believe one of the remaining two fighters will be a member of what seems to be the "Missing Five" (Timmy, Jimmy, Rocko, Angry Beavers, Jenny) and the other will be from someone not from that bubble.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Movesets getting posted is ****ing excellent to put it mildly, though I have a question, how many stages have we seen and what are they all from? I remember the eshop page or something mentioning 22 stages so there really is 1 stage per character and I'm curious how well it stacks up
we've seen 18, with 2 characters yet to get a coinciding stage and 1 stage yet to get a coinciding character

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, I thought I'd give my thoughts on the box-art itself now that we have what looks to be a pretty accurate fit to the silhouette version, and if this IS the final version of the cover, I gotta say:

I really like it!

It features a good chunk of the roster and represents 8 different shows on it (Spongebob Squarepants, The Loud House, Avatar, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Aaah! Real Monsters!, and CatDog), and the characters themselves are in pretty dynamic poses that show they're ready to fight! I also like the artstyle, too; it's unique while still keeping true to the characters' designs (though admittedly, Reptar and Powdered Toast Man look just a tad...off to me).

Honestly, my only real nitpick is that personally, I would've tried to squeeze Danny and Zim in there as well (especially considering Danny has a similar-styled image on the game's Twitter banner), but that's just me.

Otherwise, this really feels like a rendition of Smash Ultimate's cover, but with Nickelodeon characters; I really dig it!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Oh cool! We've got an actual moveset for Spongebob!

Question though: does anyone know how exactly the Aerial Smashes and Dash Smash are gonna work? For the record, I've never played Slap City before, so if this is some sort of carry-over from that, I wouldn't know.

Other than that, though (and the lack of a side-special), this looks like your basic Smash game, so I'm definitely glad I pre-ordered it now!

FreeFox

Smash Lord

Question though: does anyone know how exactly the Aerial Smashes and Dash Smash are gonna work? For the record, I've never played Slap City before, so if this is some sort of carry-over from that, I wouldn't know.

Other than that, though (and the lack of a side-special), this looks like your basic Smash game, so I'm definitely glad I pre-ordered it now!
Well, technically speaking, we have one character in smash with aerial smashes, Robin. I would imagine the input would be similar to that one.

As for dash smash. I have no idea.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Now that I think about it, I should have included Timmy Turner in my prediction. I forgot that Fairly Odd Parents still has no character and it definitely needs to have one.

So Timmy and Squidward are my predictions now. I want Garfield but don't expect him in base game, he fits more as DLC since he's not very well associated with the nickelodeon brand at this point.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I assume one of the characters without stage is Oblina or Zim?
We've seen Real Monsters and Invader Zim stages already. ARM has the garbage dump the monsters live in, Zim has the series' depiction of space.

amageish

Smash Master

I haven't played Slap City in a long while (I don't own it myself and playing it with friends in-person hasn't exactly been on the table for the last year and a half), but I'm fairly certain it did have standard directional special moves, so this is a new modification for this game.

Also, I've seen this Discord message making the rounds this morning. I don't think it means anything either way for the Loud House getting more content, but it's a very funny quip.

1630518824082.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
View attachment 328663
Game is playable with 8 buttons
I think this just a reference to the GameCube controller only having 8 buttons, not a confirmation that 8 buttons need to be assigned to 8 different functions. We know Smash is optimized for that controller, and it only really has Attack, Special, Jump, Shield, and Grab for the buttons.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I haven't played Slap City in a long while (I don't own it myself and playing it with friends in-person hasn't exactly been on the table for the last year and a half), but I'm fairly certain it did have standard directional special moves, so this is a new modification for this game.

Also, I've seen this Discord message making the rounds this morning. I don't think it means anything either way for the Loud House getting more content, but it's a very funny quip.

View attachment 328662
Loud House already has 2 characters so that's a second layer on the joke

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I got a question for the "Ren and Stimpy are separate" gang. What should the extra two stages for the series be?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

View attachment 328662
NGL, I'm cautiously optimistic about this statement. They wouldn't troll unless they were hiding something. :troll:

I got a question for the "Ren and Stimpy are separate" gang. What should the extra two stages for the series be?
Space Madness and Fire Dogs.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
...Pardon my lack of fighting-game knowledge, but...

What's a shoto?
Directly from the best source of fighting game lingo:

Shoto
An archetype in the Street Fighter series for a character that has a fireball, a shoryuken, and a tatsu. Their main gameplan is to play solid footsies with fireballs and pokes, and then uppercut you when you jump at them. Ryu, Ken, and Akuma are the quintessential shotos that appear in virtually every Street Fighter title, and the subtle variations in their moves make a big difference in how they play. The term is an abbreviation of Shotokan, a style of karate, since it was the main inspiration behind the costume and moves for Ryu in the original Street Fighter title.

Outside the most obvious examples, asking whether a given character is a shoto is a common question. Sagat is usually not considered a shoto, since he has multiple fireballs and is focused more on zoning. Sakura is... maybe a shoto? She has all the tools necessary on paper, but her shoryuken is not often used for anti-air. You can ask whether non-Street Fighter characters are shotos, too. For example, Killer Instinct's Jago and Under Night's Hyde fit the shoto archetype well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
...Pardon my lack of fighting-game knowledge, but...

What's a shoto?
An archetype in the Street Fighter series for a character that has a fireball, a shoryuken, and a tatsu. Their main gameplan is to play solid footsies with fireballs and pokes, and then uppercut you when you jump at them. Ryu, Ken, and Akuma are the quintessential shotos that appear in virtually every Street Fighter title, and the subtle variations in their moves make a big difference in how they play. The term is an abbreviation of Shotokan, a style of karate, since it was the main inspiration behind the costume and moves for Ryu in the original Street Fighter title.

Outside the most obvious examples, asking whether a given character is a shoto is a common question. Sagat is usually not considered a shoto, since he has multiple fireballs and is focused more on zoning. Sakura is... maybe a shoto? She has all the tools necessary on paper, but her shoryuken is not often used for anti-air. You can ask whether non-Street Fighter characters are shotos, too. For example, Killer Instinct's Jago and Under Night's Hyde fit the shoto archetype well.

For more knowledge on fighting game slang, I recommend https://glossary.infil.net/ as I can imagine a lot of Smash related terms will be adopted

EDIT: Holy **** that is the absolute peak of ninja posting lmao

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Directly from the best source of fighting game lingo:

Shoto

For more knowledge on fighting game slang, I recommend https://glossary.infil.net/ as I can imagine a lot of Smash related terms will be adopted

EDIT: Holy **** that is the absolute peak of ninja posting lmao
Thanks!

So are shotos considered "Jack-of-all-Trades" sorts of characters?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yep. Usually that is the case.
Okay then.

Honestly, even from day one, I had the feeling Spongebob would be akin to Mario, being the character designed specifically as a pick-up-and-play sort that's good for learning the game's mechanics, and it sounds like I was right!

Also, I got a better look at his moves (specifically the names of each attack), and I love how not only are the karate glove attacks spelled as "Kah-Rah-Tay", but the two involving the "Imagination Rainbow" actually have three a's in them, as if to mimic the way Spongebob himself says the word!

...Like, that's so beautiful, and it honestly shows that for the developers, this isn't some cheap or quick cashgrab for them; there's actual care and effort going into how these characters are being presented!

I love it!

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I just realized that since the game was revealed, I've only ever come in here to ****post, so I might as well say some of the things I'm thinking:

-I still get the vibe that Ren and Stimpy are a single character. It just feels kinda weird to have them separate
-Otherwise, I do also believe in Stage Theory, so I'd imagine a third Avatar rep is coming. It's prolly Toph due to the stage in question coming from the Earth Kingdom, but I want Iroh - I've barely ever watched anything from Avatar, mind you, I just think we need more old people in fighting games
-I'm also in the camp that believes Rocko is a locko. I do not see a reason for him to miss out
-So that would leave 1 more character. I know a third Loud House rep is a popular prediction rn, but I'm still feeling it's one more new series. Based on roster patterns, general speculation and just plain ol' gut feelings, I'm feeling either Jimmy, Garfield or potentially one more 90s character like someone from Rocket Power

anyway they should add Rango I think

Top Bottom