• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
...would be a sign that I am not being totally pragmatic and analytical and may just be spinning hypotheticals about characters who could have neat movesets...
I think that's honestly the best way to go, both to avoid the next few months being just Rocko/Timmy/Jimmy/Jenny on a loop and because it might help us nail down any potential curve balls that might get thrown our way.

What I'm saying is, Puma Loco for NASB

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
The 4 characters they chose over their series' main protagonists have notable advantages over the main protagonists anyway, not just being lolrandom:
  • Nigel is more well-remembered by the internet than Eliza
  • Oblina's shapeshifting allows for more flexibility
  • Helga is more willing to be violent than Arnold
  • Reptar is a kaiju rather than a baby
And that's not to mention 3/4 of those characters are still part of their shows' main casts, and while Reptar isn't, he's still a well remembered part of Rugrats anyway.
Exactly! They were exceptions to the rule and weren't random picks, they had specific merits and reasons. Jimmy and Timmy's respective shows don't have such an equivalent. Same thing for Danny Phantom, Spongebob, Ren and Stimpy, and whatever else. The main characters are unique and have a place here. If this "side character must be prioritized over main character" thing was real. Danny Phantom shouldn't be here, he would get the boot for Sam or Vlad instead but they didn't do that.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Because Timmy isn't just the middle man, the entire dynamic of the show was Timmy having his own interests and potential but having the Fairies massively support him to make him something special. Which worked as Timmy is the most beloved character. Cosmo and Wanda were always his supports in unique and creative ways that wouldn't be boring at all. They're a wacky trio with numerous ways it can work.

Comparing it to Rex doesn't really work as Rex was planned to be in with Pythra but couldn't work because of technical reasons. Rex was never more popular than his blades, he's hated by many. Timmy, on the other hand, is on the level of Cosmo and Wanda. There's numerous fans that specifically talk about wanting him not "we need Timmy if we want Cosmo and Wanda" like what happened with Rex.

But even then, the main leading turtle is still in this game. They didn't do a TMNT representation where all the turtles are gone and it's only April and Shredder.
I dont know. I think all 4 turtles are more important than any other character. And considering even stuff like how much stardom each gets, I would argue that Raph is probably the one that gets the most stage presence of the 4. Even when it comes to stuff like movies, Raph always plays a pretty big role.

I think Cosmo and Wanda over Timmy would be controversial because they're very much a beloved trio that works together both in terms of abilities and personalities. If you get Timmy as the fighter you're really getting all three whereas if you exclude him in favor of Cosmo and Wanda you're missing out on one character (and don't really gain much in terms of moveset potential).
This. If they come to this game. I want to see all three together. My favorite conecpt is have Timmy be the one to attack for light attacks and the Fairy Godparents be the one in charge of the strong attacks.

It would, yes. And given the fact that I've been seeing people call Korra "forced representation" and she's the protagonist of her show... I would not want to see the discourse that follows, even if Rachel and her family were central to the most recent Rocko content we've received.

Sokka would be neat! I didn't count him as a "meme pick" as he is still a protagonist of a combat-heavy show though. He'd be fun to have, but I don't think the idea of him fighting is as inherently funny as, like, Nigel.

I... thought that is what we were doing too. And I also figured that me saying this...

...would be a sign that I am not being totally pragmatic and analytical and may just be spinning hypotheticals about characters who could have neat movesets...
Yeah! Someone pointed out earlier how Sokka could work pretty well as a Link of sorts.

I am a bit surprised myself by this reaction. I though this was an exercise. Opening the fields to new possibilities rather than calling these new possibilities the new status quo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think that's honestly the best way to go, both to avoid the next few months being just Rocko/Timmy/Jimmy/Jenny on a loop and because it might help us nail down any potential curve balls that might get thrown our way.

Yeah, basically. You're supposed to shoot in every direction possible so that you can eventually hit something, while Rep pretty much said that everyone focused too much on shooting a single target.

That being said, we're looking at a month of waiting at the minimum, if recent leaks are true. I hope that goddamned hypothetical Direct can feature this game so that at least one theory can be laid to rest. :drsad:

Also, I wouldn't be mad, we could use mini-mechs.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
I dont know. I think all 4 turtles are more important than any other character. And considering even stuff like how much stardom each gets, I would argue that Raph is probably the one that gets the most stage presence of the 4. Even when it comes to stuff like movies, Raph always plays a pretty big role.

This. If they come to this game. I want to see all three together. My favorite conecpt is have Timmy be the one to attack for light attacks and the Fairy Godparents be the one in charge of the strong attacks.

Yeah! Someone pointed out earlier how Sokka could work pretty well as a Link of sorts.

I am a bit surprised myself by this reaction. I though this was an exercise. Opening the fields to new possibilities rather than calling these new possibilities the new status quo.
Leonardo is blatantly the leader and main character of the Turtles. Raph and Donnie are big too (and it's a crime they aren't in this game) but it is what it is.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Exactly! They were exceptions to the rule and weren't random picks, they had specific merits and reasons. Jimmy and Timmy's respective shows don't have such an equivalent. Same thing for Danny Phantom, Spongebob, Ren and Stimpy, and whatever else. The main characters are unique and have a place here. If this "side character must be prioritized over main character" thing was real. Danny Phantom shouldn't here, he should get the boot for Sam or Vlad instead but they didn't do that.
I'm still not getting how Cosmo/Wanda don't fit that criteria. They're the ones with the magic powers, they have their own personalities and quirks you could put into a moveset, they have the ability to shapeshift, and any moveset for Timmy that includes them as a backup would most certainly just revolve around them anyway.
I'm not saying that Timmy isn't a beloved, important character. I'm saying the Fairies alone are a valid character choice when thinking purely about fighting game movesets.

I'm not gonna die on this hill, if Timmy and the Fairies come as a package deal, I'm cool with it, I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
I'm still not getting how Cosmo/Wanda don't fit that criteria. They're the ones with the magic powers, they have their own personalities and quirks you could put into a moveset, they have the ability to shapeshift, and any moveset for Timmy that includes them as a backup would most certainly just revolve around them anyway.
I'm not disputing that Timmy isn't a beloved, important character. I'm saying the Fairies alone are a valid character choice when thinking purely about fighting game movesets.

I'm not gonna die on this hill, if Timmy and the Fairies come as a package deal, I'm cool with it, I'm just saying it's a possibility.
Because Timmy is just as if not bigger than both of them. They're a big irreplaceable trio. Every single piece of massive FOP content put focus on Timmy. Sometimes Cosmo and Wanda are on the side supporting Timmy like they tend to do. Cosmo and Wanda work better when they're apart of Timmy anyway as it'd be easier to include them than some weird standalone duo. Similar to how Super Brawl had it where Timmy did a few of the basic attacks with the Fairies being pink and green items on him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Another thing worth noting is that, while it seems that DLC wasn't always a guarantee, I think there's a strong likelihood that the devs asked for certain characters that would be crowd-pleasers (either unironically or in a meme sense) and were told that those characters could make the cut later as DLC. DLC characters need to sell themselves so it makes sense to leave, say, Garfield or Jenny for potential DLC rather than someone like Oblina.

Not sure what, if any, conclusions can be drawn from this but it's a thought I had.

amageish

Smash Master

Yeah, I'm not in this thread to try and obtain get bragging rights from predicting the roster correctly haha. Sometimes it is nice to just embrace the absurdity.

Puma Loco would have some fantastic animations. Definitely would make me miss VA more then some characters do, but the potential style is just... chef's kiss

Yeah, basically. You're supposed to shoot in every direction possible so that you can eventually hit something, while Rep pretty much said that everyone focused too much on shooting a single target.

That being said, we're looking at a month of waiting at the minimum, if recent leaks are true. I hope that goddamned hypothetical Direct can feature this game so that at least one theory can be laid to rest. :drsad:

Also, I wouldn't be mad, we could use mini-mechs.
Honestly, one month of waiting ain't bad after the years Smash speculation has gone for... Then we just need to hope the game does well enough to get DLC!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Another thing worth noting is that, while it seems that DLC wasn't always a guarantee, I think there's a strong likelihood that the devs asked for certain characters that would be crowd-pleasers (either unironically or in a meme sense) and were told that those characters could make the cut later as DLC. DLC characters need to sell themselves so it makes sense to leave, say, Garfield or Jenny for potential DLC rather than someone like Oblina.

Not sure what, if any, conclusions can be drawn from this but it's a thought I had.
I mean, it makes sense. Like I said before, DLC could mostly lean towards any mainstream/popular choices that would be an easier sell than secondary or side characters that are already packaged with the based game.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Every time I remember no VA I die a bit inside. They really need to fix that in a sequel or something.
It's possible they'd update the game to include it; I know that isn't unprecedented with licensed games that ended up more successful then planned...

I think, given how it seems co-owned games are MIA and we're not getting VA at launch, this is Nick kind of going out on a limb with Ludosity - they're letting Ludosity treat the game like an eSport and try for a new adult audience, but they're trying to keep the budget and costs roughly the same as the recent Nicktoon crossovers that they have made entirely for a child audience.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Every time I remember no VA I die a bit inside. They really need to fix that in a sequel or something.
The best that can be hoped for is for this game to get multiple seasons and get VAs added later, like with Power Rangers Battle for the Grid. Even if they bring in a ton of soundalikes.

Until then, it needs to reach SSJ level 1.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master

I do think there are more characters in planning than what we will get in Base roster, but I think at first it might have been more for a Sequel than DLC to this game. If how Kart Racer series played out is any indication, I think that's the direction Nick might have leaned in at first. I think if we do get DLC, it's because this game turned out more popular than Nick expected

And personally, I think Nick would only say this regarding characters that have some Licensing tied to them. I think if Ludocity wanted the roster to have 5 Spongebob characters in it, I don't think Nick would disagree, and allow that on Base Roster. With only 22 Slots, I think Ludocity already set some barrier themselves on who to work on for this game's roster, and who to save for potential Sequel or DLC

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

That's exactly why I'm expecting folks like Timmy and Garfield as DLC material at best.
(I still think Jimmy has a shot, tho. Y'all are giving up on him way too early IMO.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Y'all aren't ready for Arnold to be one of the final characters. The reason nobody has perfectly guessed the remaining characters is because most folks already wrote Arnold off. ;)
I mean, at least Nigel and Oblina are technically part of their series' titles, Hey! Arnold without Arnold is just bleeding weird.
We're heading into an :ultisabelle: 2.0 situation here.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Y'all aren't ready for Arnold to be one of the final characters. The reason nobody has perfectly guessed the remaining characters is because most folks already wrote Arnold off. ;)
Let's make the final two both Tommy and Arnold, and not even the All Grown Up version of the former. The ultimate left-field prediction.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
She's still a long shot, hail mary if they ever wanted to add a second catdog character and that's Lola Caricola . I want to play as a kung fu master whippoorwill. Would be unbelievable!

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
Going back to the devs saying that no one has guessed the roster correctly yet, it's making me think that there's gonna be one character that absolutely no one will be expecting and will be the ultimate example of the devs' flexing on us their ability, ingenuity, creativity, and dedication to drawing from the source material in order to create a moveset for a character that has never fought before, whose Nicktoon has next to nothing to do with actual combat, and will be an absolute WTF out of left field pick for the roster.

So, basically it's gonna be Ginger from As Told By Ginger

Edit: Also, This is happening

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Bruh this game keeps telling me it's gonna be ****ing sick
Seriously, the dev could have just put Nickelodeon characters on the Slap city engine and called it a day, but instead they keep pushing those amazing moveset and gameplay ideas. It's so rare to see good licenced games today, let alone good Smash-like, and it's so fun to see the dev being so passionate about this project.

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, the dev could have just put Nickelodeon characters on the Slap city engine and called it a day, but instead they keep pushing those amazing moveset and gameplay ideas. It's so rare to see good licenced games today, let alone good Smash-like, and it's so fun to see the dev being so passionate about this project.
It's something NASB needs, gotta craft your own identity to have a better and better chance of having a long lifespan.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Honestly, the more I hear about this game, the more I'm impressed that the devs are going this far for what is essentially just a Nickelodeon Platform Fighter; I wouldn't have been too surprised if they had seen this as just a simple cash-grab/easy source of money that they wouldn't need to put much effort into.

But no. Clearly, the devs do genuinely care about this game and there is a great deal of care and effort being put in to not only be fun, but also have it's own identity instead of just trying to blatantly copy Smash (which is something that Cartoon Network Punch-Time Explosion XL, much as I enjoy that game and consider it an underrated gem, is kind of guilty of). And honestly, aside from not knowing about things like any sort of shield/blocking mechanic or if there's going to be any sort of single-player mode, the only real negative I've noticed from this game is the apparent lack of voice-acting, and frankly, in light of the effort being put into almost every other aspect of the game, I think I'll survive.

What's funny is that despite not having played the game yet (for bloody obvious reasons), I already feel like I don't regret pre-ordering it in full!

And hey, fingers crossed that this game does well enough that we not only potentially get a patch with voice-acting included, but possibly even DLC.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Ignoring all the side character talk…..

What is it about KaBlam that keeps them from getting a rep? Don’t get me wrong I understand the legal nightmare including stuff from the shorts would be, but surely Henry and June don’t have these same issues right? I imagine that’s who people would want as a KaBlam rep anyways

Also
DD57D92B-1C90-463E-BAAE-57BF527120F2.jpeg

there’s a mechanic mapped to the left trigger that we don’t know about yet. Should be interesting

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Ignore this; for some ungodly reason the site quoted my previous post instead of editing it.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord

What is it about KaBlam that keeps them from getting a rep? Don’t get me wrong I understand the legal nightmare including stuff from the shorts would be, but surely Henry and June don’t have these same issues right? I imagine that’s who people would want as a KaBlam rep anyways

Also
View attachment 329181
there’s a mechanic mapped to the left trigger that we don’t know about yet. Should be interesting
...Huh. I wonder what this could be.

I mean, usually I'd imagine the left trigger button to be used for either shielding or grabbing, but the wording here implies it's something else...

Also, in regards to KaBlam, maybe there's some sort of legal thing we don't know about regarding Henry and June.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
...Huh. I wonder what this could be.

I mean, usually I'd imagine the left trigger button to be used for either shielding or grabbing, but the wording here implies it's something else...

Also, in regards to KaBlam, maybe there's some sort of legal thing we don't know about regarding Henry and June.
I’d buy that if they didn’t have their own side shorts that aired on the channel and showed up in crossover advertisements so…..

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Also
View attachment 329181
Now that I'm thinking about it, we still haven't seen the UI of the game. Maybe this mechanic could be a special moves linked to a meter or something.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly, the more I hear about this game, the more I'm impressed that the devs are going this far for what is essentially just a Nickelodeon Platform Fighter; I wouldn't have been too surprised if they had seen this as just a simple cash-grab/easy source of money that they wouldn't need to put much effort into.

But no. Clearly, the devs do genuinely care about this game and there is a great deal of care and effort being put in to not only be fun, but also have it's own identity instead of just trying to blatantly copy Smash (which is something that Cartoon Network Punch-Time Explosion XL, much as I enjoy that game and consider it an underrated gem, is kind of guilty of). And honestly, aside from not knowing about things like any sort of shield/blocking mechanic or if there's going to be any sort of single-player mode, the only real negative I've noticed from this game is the apparent lack of voice-acting, and frankly, in light of the effort being put into almost every other aspect of the game, I think I'll survive.

What's funny is that despite not having played the game yet (for bloody obvious reasons), I already feel like I don't regret pre-ordering it in full!

And hey, fingers crossed that this game does well enough that we not only potentially get a patch with voice-acting included, but possibly even DLC.
Licensed games being taken on by passionate indie devs established in the genre is a wonderful precedent and I do hope we continue to see projects like this coming out in the future!

KaBlam's variety of animation styles could make one heck of a unique stage...

Also
View attachment 329181
Well, those are three interesting teases.

Duck Game is fun, though I don't entirely know how a character would function like it? Is there going to be a character with a focus on firing off projectiles and maybe low mobility beyond that? Idk how Duck-Game-esque mechanics would be balanced in a more complex platformer fighter like Nick is shaping up to be...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, in regards to KaBlam, maybe there's some sort of legal thing we don't know about regarding Henry and June
Henry and June are 100% owned by Viacom. It's various sketches that aren't Action League Now and the Toasters' music that isn't.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

Bruh this game keeps telling me it's gonna be ****ing sick
Wait wait so there's not even gonna be a configurable option for tap jump? That's lame, I never like playing fighting games with a jump button. Fighting games you gotta control your aerial momentum on a dime you know? Which yeah you can do with a jump button obviously if you train for it but there's a reason almost every mainstream fighting game franchise got rid of jumping with a button in like the 90s.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

We're back in the age of GOOD Nick games. That's something I didn't expect to see again.

It's something NASB needs, gotta craft your own identity to have a better and better chance of having a long lifespan.
Yeah, basically. Street Fighter clones did just that after a while, so it's about time that it would be the case here too.

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
something i thought of is that otis could one of the characters since he is a gag character and is an unexpected pick.(I'm pretty sure barnyard is owned by viacom and can get in,but don't quote me on that'')

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
something i thought of is that otis could one of the characters since he is a gag character and is an unexpected pick.(I'm pretty sure barnyard is owned by viacom and can get in,but don't quote me on that'')
I ruled out Barnyard as soon as I realized it's not even on Paramount Plus, the show or the movie. Plus he's also O Productions, so if we're doubtful of what's up with Jimmy Neutron, I don't see a Barnyard rep as more likely. Even though I'd love Otis

Top Bottom